Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't speak for D2 community or anything lol.

I just think that repeatedly porting and refilling doesn't look like realistic or interesting gameplay/boss fight that's all. And doesn't make u hardKore player or shows skill or whatever.

Shadenuat

Arcane
hurrr realism hurr muh fantasy

Yes we do, because on what else new player can fall back to, instead of reading guides or posting on reddit? It is either hints and lore presented in the game, or common sense, which is based on reality - realism (or call it consistency, whatever you prefer).

If frost resistance and thawing potions affected slow effect from freezing aura, it would be better than if they didn't, for example. And if boss didn't wait for u infinitely while you stock up 5 times with potions... many players would probably get into a lot of trouble. But hey, it's because bosses might not be that ideally designed as we might think?

I think D2 comes from a time before these types of games were overdesigned and balance was an afterthought, not an obsession. Although it always felt kind of silly to port out and refill while bosses just chill out waiting for your return, I don't remember people throwing fits over it back then and the developers never saw the need to change it.

In hindsight, it's poorly designed (like many other aspects of the game), but even kids back then intuitively knew how to play along with the system they were presented with. I think it would be wrong for a remaster like this to fiddle with fundamental aspects of the game, even clunky ones that make no sense in retrospect like this one.

Shadenuat

Arcane
If I remember right, there is a silly bug in Act 4 where pictures of quests in quest book are misplaced. Devs never fixed it ever. So to say that something is intended design or not cause if it wasn't they'd change it, I am not sure about it.

And yeah, that's a silly position remasters are at. People throw fits on any idiotic change as if it's the end of the world, because they care about some little nostalgia part, and often not about how game even plays. It is a, how to put it, the Mythical Game that matters. And at the same time we know that developers can just fuck things up.

Which is why - stop all this remasters, make new cool games.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not TPing out to buy more potions requires metagaming and knowing what builds and abilities to use or bugging him in a corner. I agree that giving up on the game because of him is not the ideal thing to do, but eh. It's much less ideal, however, to try to "shame" people for TPing out, lol.

Takamori

Learned
Regarding old designs and people throwing shit fits.
Just make a legacy version where people can play their ultra pure edition and then have a version where you can address the old design issues. Be a playground for the devs and community to address it, but I don't believe current Blizzard would allocate resources for such thing.

Saravan

Savant
I think D2 comes from a time before these types of games were overdesigned and balance was an afterthought, not an obsession. Although it always felt kind of silly to port out and refill while bosses just chill out waiting for your return, I don't remember people throwing fits over it back then and the developers never saw the need to change it.

In hindsight, it's poorly designed (like many other aspects of the game), but even kids back then intuitively knew how to play along with the system they were presented with. I think it would be wrong for a remaster like this to fiddle with fundamental aspects of the game, even clunky ones that make no sense in retrospect like this one.

Exactly. Furthermore, ARPG:s and especially an ancient one like D2 are meant for chill gaming. I never get these tryhard attempts at trying to analyze the logic behind any of the stuff being presented. As to a remaster, you can have two reasonable positions. Refuse to pay a premium for a graphical update because you don't like the cosmetic changes or don't want to support a developer like nu-Blizzard or find it's enough to justify a nostalgia trip. There is nothing really more to it than that.

There are rune words that make bosses trivial nowadays; sorceress can easily slay any boss; necro can just resummon clay golem and see bosses twitch slightly while your archer girl shoots them to death, same with druid, and you can run any early kill build (sorc enchant ftw lol) and then simply respec because, yeah, there is now respec (from den of evil).

It's just that it is pointless for a strong player to gloat over new players esp if it's good old shit netcode that made them quit, not the boss; or pretend that something wasn't easy for you first time or like, 20 years ago when you were a noob yourself; or pretend that Blizzard are geniuses and put a secret hard counter for any boss and their mechanics (look up how defence actually works) make any sense.

You gloat on a daily basis in your circle-jerk group in the Pathfinder thread so you are the last person to try grand-standing this idiotic take concerning "strong players".

Shadenuat

Arcane
chill gaming. I never get these tryhard attempts at trying to analyze the logic behind any of the stuff.
Perhaps you would find Reddit suitable for your tastes then.
That was what you could call "gloating". :shitposting:
The codex was specifically created to autistically figure how games work, m8.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
From what I've seen of the remaster they removed the things that made the women look like women. Now we've got all these dudes running around and have zero sex appeal if you're a hetero guy. I'll take the original over this bland shit.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I could never understand how people would become rabid in a game like Path of Exile where it's 95% PvE and you have goons going about how so-and-so build needs to be nerfed. There's something deeply disturbing about the mental state one must reach to play a game by themselves, look on over at someone else's screen that's playing that game by themselves, see that they're doing better in terms of clearing out a map than you, and cry for nerfs to them. It's pure evil, they should be executed.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
You buy a game and you can play it any fucking way you want to. You want solid godmode cheats and shit... fuck if i care; do it! I'm not some fucktard who slaps his balls in people's faces saying I played xyz hardcore. Most people don't fucking care. And ball slapping is fucking queer. Numbnutz retards do that shit.

Pvp and online is different but I still don't fucking care. I only give a damn if there is actual money in the table, otherwise pissing contests just stink.

agreed with blizzard's tarnished reputation, don't suggest buying games from companies that hire based on gender/race rather than talent.
That's why it's tarnished, right?

Tarnished as in not releasing a good game in a decade, destroying their own IPs and bending the knee to Chinese Communist Party.

My dad and I used to play. I remember he really like the summon tree on the Necromancer. I remember watching him the first time he got to Duriel. Duriel absolutely wrecked him. It took him awhile to figure out that encounter with his build. Same for Diablo in Hell. Not sure he ever got past Diablo. As soon as that red lightning came out, it was curtains for his skeletons.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

My favorite is at 6:32. I've been on both sides of that fence in D1. Absolute sadism.

First time I went on D1 on Battle.net I entered some random game and was greeted by a Sorcerer who walked up and dropped Demonspike Coat.

Except it was a helmet.

It was at this time I began to suspect online D1 had some foul play at work here.

Edit: My favorite part had to be the Warrior using the self-repair skill and making the weapon durability shittier and shittier. It's one of those things you know if you know.

Last edited by a moderator:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
My favorite is at 6:32. I've been on both sides of that fence in D1. Absolute sadism.

First time I went on D1 on Battle.net I entered some random game and was greeted by a Sorcerer who walked up and dropped Demonspike Coat.

Except it was a helmet.

It was at this time I began to suspect online D1 had some foul play at work here.

Not only this, but...

Demonspike Coat
Due to a bug in the item generation mechanism, this armor is unfindable in Multiplayer in Hellfire, and is virtually impossible to find in Single Player.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I liked how some people made their fun up back then. One I remember fondly was some guy who said if me and some other player went to both Adria and Wirt and talked to them both exactly six times while he talked to Griswold six times then we'd get all the riches in the world because it was a super secret cheat. So given that I still believed in Santa Claus, I went to do this and the other guy I assume may have also been either a child or mentally retarded like a child and did the same. Then we went back to the middle of town and it was full of 5,000 stacks of gold.

Then he said, "wanna see something even cooler?!" and we were like, "YEAH!" as we filled our inventory up like the slot machines broke. He said to take his town portal and when we did to go straight through the red portal as fast as possible. So we waited while he did this, the town portal came up, we went through, he killed us along with help from a retarded amount of succubi and black knights that had been gathered like an evil herd, and we lost all that gold. The other guy left, but I was dumbfounded and asked "was that supposed to happen?" He never replied.

That was my first rape experience.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Regarding Thawing potions and Duriel:

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Duriel

Physical:
19-25

Cold Aura:
Cold damage: 2-3
+Cold damage: +10-15

If you chug thawing potions you can reduce his damage about ~30%, that's pretty huge if you need to gain an edge over him. Of course it doesn't reduce the aura slow.

Shadenuat

Arcane
that's only one of his attacks, he has Charge that does about 2 times more. that's what people usually die to: combo of charge/stun/slow.

Harthwain

Magister
In Diablo 1 leaving the dungeon meant everything got healed up. I don't recall if the same applied to portals, but if it did - imagine Duriel healing up each time you take portal to town in a middle of a boss fight. Personally I never used portal to flee. It was either "do or die" and when I died I just came back, filled to the brim with potions for another go.

Which is why - stop all this remasters, make new cool games.
I don't quite agree with that. Remasters are good not only for graphics. They also fix issues the modern operating systems cause when you try to run an old game.

Developer
You are the only one who cares.

Maybe you should have fucking cared when it mattered. Enjoy tranny Amazon now because there's a direct line between wokeness in D2 and wokeness today.

That line starting around when Brevik started having a family to worry about. Story old as time.

More importantly he and his wife are absolutely incurably woke.

They deleted many of their past broadcasts for some reason.

But you can find them having a disagreement over whether watching Planet of the Apes should even be allowed because it's just so racist.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom