Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo 2: Resurrected remaster

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
uq1rtt59y5j71.png

View attachment 20505

Not all areas are ‘cleaned’, maybe it just seemed a bit uneven. Or maybe I’m mistaken. But the demons certainly bleed less. Not to mention that the dead harem girls were, bizarrely, totally removed.

As for the sorceress, her face didn’t look like that in my game (though she came off best out of all the classes). I trust I don’t need to post pictures of the new-and-improved paladin and his shitty armor design.

Current society has no problems with blood and gore, humanity is incredibly tolerant to violence. It's a pair of tits they would try and hide even if it's a stone statue.

I don’t think this is true, games in general have far less gore than they did ~16 years ago. Films also have less gore than they did in the 1980-90s, unless it’s a specialty ‘horror’ film.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Current society has no problems with blood and gore

in the past, public executions were a spectacle where people were disemboweled, boiled alive, quartered, burned.

people attending were waiting at the gallows to gather the human fat from cadavers and other parts of organs because they believed cure particular diseases.

let's not get too carried away with the "current society" thing

Codex Year of the Donut
Current society has no problems with blood and gore, humanity is incredibly tolerant to violence. Devs could easily fill entire levels with mountains of bloody corpses (to the point when it becomes boring because violence only works when you do it where it matters). It's a pair of tits they would try and hide even if it's a stone statue.
they'd be censored if it was recognizably female
Not to mention that the dead harem girls were, bizarrely, totally removed.
as expected

violence has only been normalized against men, it's completely taboo if the target is women

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don’t think this is true, games in general have far less gore than they did ~16 years ago. Films also have less gore than they did in the 1980-90s, unless it’s a specialty ‘horror’ film.
the grimdork in fantasy got lowered by wow and other fantasy, but Game of Thrones made beheadings hip again.
less? idk, how about popular series like The Boys or new cartoons like Omniman.

Mostly, people just got used to it to the point that it doesn't work anymore, and so artists struggle terribly to figure out what other drug can they put viewer on. And I think creators now exercise more finesse because it's a better approach.

in the past, public executions were a spectacle where people were disemboweled, boiled alive, quartered, burned.

people attending were waiting at the gallows to gather the human fat from cadavers and other parts of organs because they believed cure particular diseases.
people literally self immolate themselves today as a sign of protest :M
using funny things to cure diseases also happens in some countries right nao :shittydog:
also, you're creating your own narrative here. I didn't say that there was less violence previously; but that people are more tolerant to violence than SEKS.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Current society has no problems with blood and gore, humanity is incredibly tolerant to violence. Devs could easily fill entire levels with mountains of bloody corpses (to the point when it becomes boring because violence only works when you do it where it matters). It's a pair of tits they would try and hide even if it's a stone statue.

Please do not apply Kwan retard morals to the rest of us.

Codex Year of the Donut

Please do not apply Kwan retard morals to the rest of us.
right, might upset people if we intrude on their scat fetishes with some blood and gore

Harthwain

Magister
Diablo 3 had more dismemberment, but compensated it with cartoony graphics. Jedi games lost dismemberment entirely though, because it wasn't considered kids-friendly by Disney.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Duriel is the only thing in the entire game which isn't a pushover. I don't think there's a class or build which can beat him without TPing unless your entire inventory isn't made up of only mana and healing pots. And you wouldn't know this if it's your first time playing. Even speedrunners TP out of that fight at least a couple of times.
I'd add unpatched Bremm Sparkfirst and the ancients on Hell difficulty to that list. Especially as the latter negate any town portals. Nihlathak is also an absolute pain in the ass when playing hardcore.

Shadenuat

Arcane
act 1 hell cold arrow archer mladies https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/etgsio/what_makes_hell_archers_so_powerful/
hedhehogs with some idiotic auras lmao
act 2 maggots lair in particular if you are skellie necro :positive:
there are physically immune ghost bosses potentially even on normal
on hell every crooked bee swarm is physically immune
arcane sanctuary to some chars
guys resurrecting skeleton horders
packs of serpents on higher difficulties
duriel

act 3 pigmy and
hell https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Bone_Fetish :shittydog:
swamps of gloams https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Gloam :shittydog:
big dudes with clubs have crushing blow https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Crushing_Blow :shittydog:
whole triumvirate/vampires. why? they have physical res https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Vampire_(Diablo_II)
and of course they spam spellz

act 4 I would say most annoying is corpse eating bros and one particular seal I believe

act 5 the funny charging skeleton bros & nithilak
frozen tunnels bit annoying
gloams later, Death Lords & Lister the Tormentor naturally

and of course amplify paaaaain

I recommend going SSF, no botnet, /characters [something], no Ladder Runewords, etc. as some basic melee character to HELL. it can be quite exciting. try not abuse farming and staff of teleportation charges too much.
you will soon begin to realise that you never really played diablo, you just had fun in family friendly botnet version of it (minus HC of course, which was hilarious). +you will have time to listen to all the dialogue, game has p cool lore and neat little dialogue I appreciate.
note that today you can respec, but before 1.13 if you wanted perfect build, you'd play with skills at 1 1 1 1 1 not wasting points :positive:

Last edited:

typical user

Arbiter
The best part of hell is disgusting combos some bosses can spawn with. For example take Preserved Corpse from Act2, give him Fanaticism, Extra Strong and Curse. Potentially - if you are lucky/unlucky - he can oneshot your character unless you are playing Barb with 3k health or Druid with Oak Sage summoned.

The whole hell part was made it so Act Bosses can easily be killed thanks to no immunities and % damage to demons mod on gear and weapons. The fun part is every monster has at least one immunity and bosspacks can gank you at any moment. Imagine Bone Fetishes with Extra Fast and Mana Burn while you are looking for one of Khalim Artifacts in canals.

Act 4 and Act 5 hell is no joke where most monsters are level 85 and hit like truck. To farm Baal you need some decent gear. Succubi with their curses can very easily kill you. TPing back to town isn't worth it as each one of them will recast the Amp damage.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Weird how they can still deliver some great looking environmentals/mood when they are forced to copy someone else's homework but completely fall apart at all that when left to their own devices. D2R put next to D3 or D4 and it doesn't even look like it's from the same company.

That's because it technically isn't. Vicarious Visions made D2R not "Blizzard" as you know it.
Blizzard North wasn't really "part" of Blizzard HQ in the same way, at least according to David Brevik.
They were sort of their own offshoot rockstar thing with some ties to mother company.

And yes, I know VV has since been acquired and merged.. but fuck you anyway.

Naraya

Arcane
Just killed Diablo in my PD2 playthrough. Mind you, last time I played D2LoD was ~15 years ago. I think I'm somewhat underleveled for Diablo normal - I'm level 25 and he hurt, especially his fire-beam attack. I also have rather bad gear.

By the way, I don't remember but what happens when your gear's durability drops to 0? Does it get destroyed (disappears from the inventory) or not? I'm asking because somewhere in Act 3 I noticed my sorc had no breastplate and I remember having one. I could've just dropped it somewhere... or it got destroyed in Duriel fight (he killed me 2 times). That's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

In D2 if an item goes to 0 durability it becomes "disabled" until repaired. A weapon will no longer be used or armor will look like it's missing. Ethereal items can't be repaired and have lower durability at the trade of being much more powerful than usual. You can negate that by giving it to a mercenary or slapping a Zod in that beast.

In D1 if an item hit 0 durability it was gone for good.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
In D2 if an item goes to 0 durability it becomes "disabled" until repaired. A weapon will no longer be used or armor will look like it's missing. Ethereal items can't be repaired and have lower durability at the trade of being much more powerful than usual. You can negate that by giving it to a mercenary or slapping a Zod in that beast.

In D1 if an item hit 0 durability it was gone for good.
Yeah, I know hellfire had durability pots to add to items and certain mods used that shit. I don't recall if there was a mod/patch to fix it so durability didn't degrade.

Hey Griswold! Fix my shit ok.

"OCH!! "

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom