Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

It mostly just looks like a reskined D3.

What has gone absolutely over their heads, is the light radius. While D3 was garish neither D1 nor D2 were devoid of color to be grim. You simply couldn't see everything on the screen. Moving through the darkness, hearing monsters before you see them, the sense of claustrophobia in a dark place--you know, horror! Suspense! Thrills! Why is this so hard to grasp? My guess is that the people who made D3 and are making D4 never played D1 or 2.

Zeriel

Arcane
“Rape has no place in the ‘Diablo’ universe,” said a former employee. “It’s not a thing that we should be tackling because it takes a certain amount of nuance and a deft hand.”
The “rape version,” as multiple employees called the script, was ultimately overhauled in the same year, and the female character was cut from the story.
Blizzard spokesperson Reynolds told The Post that “the story in question was floated more than three years ago under different leadership as character backstory, not game content. At that time, it was deemed inappropriate, and we went in a different direction. We remain confident in the team — they’re building something incredible, and have received a lot of positive feedback from players.”
Several current and former employees also found the representation and depiction of women in “Diablo IV” to be uninspired, particularly the game’s antagonist, Lilith, Queen of the Succubi. Some women in the game are relegated to traditional gender roles, or undermined by their proximity to a man.
“The story is just mid when it comes to diversity topics,” said a current Blizzard Albany employee, using slang meaning mediocre. “It doesn’t really do anything special there at all, or much of anything. I had complaints about the way we handle Lilith, I think we’ve turned her into someone who’s less interesting as a villain than she could be, if handled by a better writer.”

Loly holy shit, these people sound retarded. A game series about demons literally commiting genocide where dead women are impaled on stakes in the game environment and they're acting like someone having nonconsensual sexual relations once is an Original Sin that the world cannot endure.

I am once again convinced it is impossible for modern Blizzard to make any good games if this is the baby mindset of its devs.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
“Rape has no place in the ‘Diablo’ universe,” said a former employee. “It’s not a thing that we should be tackling because it takes a certain amount of nuance and a deft hand.”
The “rape version,” as multiple employees called the script, was ultimately overhauled in the same year, and the female character was cut from the story.
Blizzard spokesperson Reynolds told The Post that “the story in question was floated more than three years ago under different leadership as character backstory, not game content. At that time, it was deemed inappropriate, and we went in a different direction. We remain confident in the team — they’re building something incredible, and have received a lot of positive feedback from players.”
Several current and former employees also found the representation and depiction of women in “Diablo IV” to be uninspired, particularly the game’s antagonist, Lilith, Queen of the Succubi. Some women in the game are relegated to traditional gender roles, or undermined by their proximity to a man.
“The story is just mid when it comes to diversity topics,” said a current Blizzard Albany employee, using slang meaning mediocre. “It doesn’t really do anything special there at all, or much of anything. I had complaints about the way we handle Lilith, I think we’ve turned her into someone who’s less interesting as a villain than she could be, if handled by a better writer.”

Loly holy shit, these people sound retarded. A game series about demons literally commiting genocide where dead women are impaled on stakes in the game environment and they're acting like someone having nonconsensual sexual relations once is an Original Sin that the world cannot endure.

I am once again convinced it is impossible for modern Blizzard to make any good games if this is the baby mindset of its devs.
Are these people aware that things like naked women impaled on stakes used to be lootable containers and people drawn and quartered were background details?

I mean, it used to actually get you ID checked at the shop counter ffs.

Zeriel

Arcane

Are these people aware that things like naked women impaled on stakes used to be lootable containers and people drawn and quartered were background details?

I mean, it used to actually get you ID checked at the shop counter ffs.

This being your average dev really helps explain their reaction/attitude with the Diablo 3 rainbow level. I imagine the approach is something like, "Wow I got hired by this big company! Now every game they make should pander to my Cartoon Network-tier ideals, no I don't care what the history or setting of the game is, the important thing here is that MY opinions are reflected in the product, not the longstanding customers who pay all the bills."

I thought I was done being pissed at the state of the gaming industry in 2022, but reading this stuff just makes you lose even the possibility for hope. It's not going to get better for multiple generations. This much is clear.

Zeriel

Arcane
cinematics looks nice at least

Thank you Blizzard, making a cannon fodder NPC a nigger guaranteed me and all my black friends will buy your game, very cool :M

Well, thanks for taking the time to list all these shitty videos.
I randomly started at the 4th one and about a few seconds later its apparent that it's some shill who's trying to get tickets to Blizzcon.
The third video was made by someone who articulates like I'm a 5 y/o old.
The second video was made by someone named 'Zoe Delahunty-Light', nuff said
The first video seemed okay at first, but you gradually find out that the one who played this beta is completely incomprehensible, direct quote (after being asked about how the game 'feels' to play): "Playing through the prologue and act 1, I think there's still like that element like the game's gradually unfolding. There's definitely a lot of like gameplay and systems that we haven't seen yet, but it's very much that like... because of the open world like, so for example I start with the rogue and you start with your knife and you start with uhh a bow and arrow and at first there's like these great hordes of enemies and its a bit more like kind overwhelming then you think because you don't really have the tools to properly kind of like thin them out."
If you played a drinking game and took a shot every time this toon said "like", "kind of" or "sort of", you'd wake up during the stomach pumping.

Amazing that these people get paid for this shit.

Whatever you do don't read interviews with the younger political staffers at the top of the DC totem pole. They all talk like this now, it's as though the collective IQ of the human race halved in the last 10 years. It's a mindvirus, sometimes I have to stop myself from doing it too, despite the fact it used to never be around, these people just spread it out into the world.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
So seventy euros for a game with a season pass, it will be interesting to see how many people will buy it.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

No doubt those naked, chained, decapitated women had their opinions respected until the end. Don't kink-shame bro.

Dhaze

Cipher

To be fair, we can see some impaled bodies in this video, circa the 6:40 mark.

But a friend and I were talking about just that recently: the backgrounds details, the atmosphere, as well as how the gameplay tied inextricably into said atmosphere. And we would both bet good money on the notion a lot of the devs working on Diablo 4 have never touched Diablo 1 or 2. Seen it, but not played it. Sure, in what we're shown of Diablo 4 there's blood splatters, and skeletal bits, and it's overall dark and grim; but it's modern grim, not Diablo grim, if that makes sense.

And things like seeing Diablo himself walk unceremoniously towards you, out of the darkness, raising conflagrations from beneath your feet, without having first announced his coming via a comical cutscene/villain-speach? Having to walk, not being able to dash or leap or zoomzoomzoomzoom about the place, while Advocates pelt you incessantly with fireballs? Stumbling almost unexpectedly into Duriel with your fragile first-time sorceress, and be aghast when one hit from his claws shreds half your health? The little Stygian Dolls swarming you out of every room in the Durance Of Hate, and how hard it could sometimes be to simply click on or hit the little fuckers because they were so fast? The packs of elite Will-o'-wisps that made you dread every corner in Act 5?

Now I'm gonna sound like an old fart, but unfortunately all that is gone. It was there in Diablo 1; it was mostly still there in Diablo 2; it was barely a semblance of a thought in Diablo 3; and obviously it'll be nowhere in Diablo 4.

I'm tempted to draw a parallel between Diablo 1 and Dark Souls 1. I've long felt that DS1 shares a lot with the first Diablo—a lot of soul if you'll pardon the pun. Your character is quite slow, bordering on ponderous, and the atmosphere is forlorn or outright oppressive, and you don't know if you can survive what's behind that door or that corner.

On a slight tangent: I don't remember to which series of games it pertained, but I swear I recently read an article in which a director or some such decidedly wanted to hire developers who had not played or liked the previous titles, because he wanted fresh or critical takes. It's fucking madness.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
70 euro with season pass is pocket money for most people.

Stop being poor u fucks
It's close to 7% of my monthly social security check and I'm not having it. Pay for my Diablo IV season pass, you bourgeoisie son-of-a-bitch.
Why don't you get a job? If you want the game so badly, why don't you get a job?
You drinking? Is that why you don't have a job?

Get a goddamn job, Shin.
You got a negative attitude. That's what's stopping you. You gotta get your act together. I'll help you.

You know how bad you smell? You reek of shit. Do you know that?
Shin. I'm sorry. It's just that... I don't know. I don't have anything in common with you.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Social media Communication technology was a mistake.
It all started here! :argh:

String-Telephone-Featured-Image.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom