Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
I liked that movie very well done. Hell raiser and something else mixed together.

This movie...hmmm to much agenda. I told Blizzard you lack sex appeal. As I am looking over the game it looks really bland. There going to need to spice things up with events.
And France beat England GOD IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahah Yes France FUCK YES!

Perkel

Arcane
iu

It looks like a great ARPG. I follow development of it pretty closely since they announced it and so far there aren't any red flags pointing out this is bad arpg. On contrary there are plenty of green flags pointing out this might be one of the best ARPGs.

Since start of development they follow motto: D1 dark theme, D2 gameplay, D3 combat feel. Aka combine best aspects of each.

Overall from what i read about systems, design, manifestos, blogs etc. D4 shapes up to be great ARPG possibly a top one to beat POE and other ARPGs.

My only concern for now is open world. It can make or break game, rest of it I am pretty sure it will be great.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Don't kid yourself, it's Diablo 3 minus the cartoon art style. And to compare its new "American grim dark" art style to Diablo 1's is pure blasphemy.

Game, from what we have seen and read so far, has once again horrendous number bloat, Smart Loot, and abysmal itemization. If that floats your boat, be my guest and go for it, but this shit has nothing to do with Diablo 2 (if that's the gameplay aspect you're talking about).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
D2-like art direction doesn't mean jack if your only stats are called Offense and Defense

This game is dumbed down beyond the unimaginable

Perkel

Arcane
D2-like art direction doesn't mean jack if your only stats are called Offense and Defense

This game is dumbed down beyond the unimaginable

You mean like in D2 damage and armor ?
Also offense and defense aren't only stats you have. There are resists, various types of weapon stats like stun bleed etc.

You probably saw early system they worked on. They did revise it multiple times.

Somehow Perkel still believes what the marketing teams are telling devs to communicate.

It's one thing to trust someone on their words alone. It is different thing when they present systems and they rework them multiple times over course of year or two due to feedback and then see it in practice when people play.

Perkel

Arcane
Feedback from where? Their own community of 70 IQ mouthbreathers? Good luck.

Various places. There were plenty of D3 70IQ multibreathers that wanted more D3 and they got bounced back by devs saying this is not what they want for D4.

Some of the stuff they revised after feedback:
- Blue magic items will have highest rolls possible came from such feedback with D2 fans.
- Unlike D3 where you build could be swapped on demand is gone and in D4 you have whole skill trees that got revised like 4 times (and they still work on them). Moreover unlike D3 swap as you want D4 will require investment in character as you can't respec easily. They directly stated you will need some rare currency to respect one point at the time. They directly bounced back D3 fans who wanted free respect anytime and instead listened to D1-D2 fans
- Whole rune system is borrowed from POE gem system where some runes function like triggers for other effects. This was also feedback from fans. At start runes were just stats like in D2
- Angelic/demonic/ancient power got revised also like 4 times. At start they were just stupid gear requirement, then skill unlocks for gear. Now they are about buffs. Angelic increases time for buffs, demonic increases time for debuffs on enemies and ancient does something else.
- Main stats. At start each class had its own stats and one other stat that gave it bonuses. Due to feeback now all stats (5 of them) give each class different buff. Want to use more skills then invest in willpower etc.
- Whole magic/rare/unique/set/mythic system was heavily criticized being loopsided toward set items and mythics completely. They revised it and now according to devs (since we can't test it ourselfs) there aren't clearly the best gear path like in D3.

Obviously game could still be shit but overall i am pretty sure it will be great ARPG to play. Like i said my only main worry is open world.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Honestly, two of the biggest shit things about D3, was the artstyle and the story...

Two things that are allegedly fixed up in D4 from the looks of all the released material, so yeah, im good. Combat in D3 was decent, and it seems even improved in D4.
Will it endure through endgame? who knows? who really cares tho.

It's not trying to be PoE or whatever, D2 has zero endgame either and still doesn't and it's still one of the best ARPGs around.. so.

That and of course trying to fix itemization somewhat, so upgrades feel good and earned.

Still not seeing anything that causes great concern from everything thats been released about D4 so far.
the open world aspect is the LEAST of my worries, on the contrary, I think it's the right step to take. Look at lost ark, great ARPG, decent enough open world, but too hard mmo raids and grind dailies.

Will play, will probably have alot of fun with it for some time, then quit, and move on.

gg

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Can't help but notice that every Diablo-like is nothing like Diablo

Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, Wolcen, Lost Ark all look the same

They feel like MMOs while Diablo was a methodical, slower-pace dungeon crawler

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Diablo-like actually means Diablo II-like

Which is a shame because D1 is a much better experience usually
There are tricks I used to make Diablo II feel remarkably close to Diablo

Turn running off, reduce light radius and play HC with solo self-found gear

Much, much slower gameplay and if you opt for Diablo II classic (non-LoD) it's even better

Perkel

Arcane
The difference between D1 and D2 is mostly in theme and slower combat and how character can learn anything rather than being closed class.
Upper parts of game are really good, it gets worse in lower more open parts to pick up again at the end.

It's clear that their idea for game was RPG with just more combat so character hitting something feels more like in RPG than in action game. That was before ARPGs became its own thing with its own tropes that D1 started.

Imho the main boon of first game is the theme. It's not high fantasy with angels and demons playing for world domination but just a quest in RPG where something evil happens under church and you have to investigate. Slowly over time you realize that whatever happens is something more than just a simple creatures nest. It's low key for most of game.

Looking at D4 you can actually see that influence. You solve mostly local village problems at least at start instead of being directly thrown into cataclysm like in D3 or middle of D2.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Diablo-like actually means Diablo II-like

Which is a shame because D1 is a much better experience usually
There are tricks I used to make Diablo II feel remarkably close to Diablo

Turn running off, reduce light radius and play HC with solo self-found gear

Much, much slower gameplay and if you opt for Diablo II classic (non-LoD) it's even better
Lowering the light radius improves the atmosphere a lot.

On running, I try to walk more than I run, but the stamina bar being completely irrelevant except when fighting stamina-draining enemies feels bad. I wonder if anyone found a way to make stamina more useful by making skills and attacks cost stamina, and turning off defense when stamina is 0. The only threads I found on that were from ten or more years ago and no one knew how to do it.

RuySan

Augur
Honestly, two of the biggest shit things about D3, was the artstyle and the story...

Two things that are allegedly fixed up in D4 from the looks of all the released material, so yeah, im good. Combat in D3 was decent, and it seems even improved in D4.
Will it endure through endgame? who knows? who really cares tho.

It's not trying to be PoE or whatever, D2 has zero endgame either and still doesn't and it's still one of the best ARPGs around.. so.

That and of course trying to fix itemization somewhat, so upgrades feel good and earned.

Still not seeing anything that causes great concern from everything thats been released about D4 so far.
the open world aspect is the LEAST of my worries, on the contrary, I think it's the right step to take. Look at lost ark, great ARPG, decent enough open world, but too hard mmo raids and grind dailies.

Will play, will probably have alot of fun with it for some time, then quit, and move on.

gg
The two shittiest things in D3 are the lack of difficulty (raising it just makes the enemies take longer to kill) and weapons class making no difference on characters combat and appearance.

The artstyle is decent and the story can be skipped

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's clear that their idea for game was RPG with just more combat so character hitting something feels more like in RPG than in action game. That was before ARPGs became its own thing

Very good point sir

D2 Zeal isn't flashy but still feels incredibly crisp after 20 years

It had a very satisfying CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK sound like you were really hacking into their flesh and the monsters went ER AGH URGH with each hit, then a loud satisfying death scream when they die.

Imo devs are spending too much time making skills *look* good and too little time making them *feel* good

copebot

Learned
Diablo 1 isn't actually slower than Diablo 2 once you get teleport. Chain lightning is also the OG "press button clear screen" of ARPG AIDS (as demonstrated by BlackAdderBG's video).

There's probably a good concept for a real roguelike or roguelite ARPG that just focuses on a slower and more methodical pace of something like D1, which resets after you win or die. Excessive progression isn't usually a good thing. There's a sweet spot between having a character that is weak and menaced by everything, to overcoming that, to feeling like the character is strong, to the degenerate gameplay passively zipping around a procedurally generated level watching lighting effects clear the screen.

Codex Year of the Donut
70 euro with season pass is pocket money for most people.

Stop being poor u fucks
"I'm going to willingly give money to a rich corporation full of people who hate me rather than donate it to a local charity"

average consoomer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom