Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

Has local co-op multiplayer, up to 4 people. I don't like the skill cooldowns but it looks like it could be decent.

Sykar

Arcane
Blizzcucks be like
a11.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
I'd "EXPECT" armor in any rpg. Lotta chinks in blizzard now. Looks like they struggle to speak clear concise english.
Yea, I skipped watching that 2nd video when they put a guy that barely speaks English just to fill their diversity quota.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Chinese people are worth less diversity points than Europeans
He's probably the one in charge of that retarded armor concept and they were too cheap to hire a translator or a spokesperson who actually spoke the language
Or they wanted to teach us Meng Song's Lesson

Dr1f7

Scholar
Blizzcucks be like
a11.jpg
they're like
"OMG looks heccin ebic but I hope the endgame is a bagillion hour skinnerbox grind because I can't just enjoy a game for 20 hours and move on with my life"
they're also like
"HECK I'm not gonna watch the official videos or read the official website I need to wait for my streamer to make a heccin epic REACT VIDEO to tell me what to think"

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
What the fuck is expected armor
Expected armor is the amount of armor you would generally expect a certain character at a certain lvl to be able to obtain through sheer RNG and lvling and then balance from there.

Like through halfway into the game, ur character is generally this and that strong and is generally able to overcome this and that obstacle.

I do agree, the guy needs better english lessons or some shit. It's not ideal to have that guy speak about systems, when you can barely understand him. Like.. wtf? Obviously peepul are gonna call that racist, but I mean, he's not getting the points across very well, which is the fucking point of a Q&A innit

It is also a very poor choice of presentation to even go into such nitty detail on armor values on a promotional stream for the beta and the game this early lol wtf... save that shit for later nigga

Talk about something else in broader terms, how about the fucking endgame :p

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Expected armor is the amount of armor you would generally expect a certain character at a certain lvl to be able to obtain through sheer RNG and lvling and then balance from there.

Like through halfway into the game, ur character is generally this and that strong and is generally able to overcome this and that obstacle.

I do agree, the guy needs better english lessons or some shit. It's not ideal to have that guy speak about systems, when you can barely understand him. Like.. wtf? Obviously peepul are gonna call that racist, but I mean, he's not getting the points across very well, which is the fucking point of a Q&A innit
It's not racist to say his English is nearly unintelligible. I could barely understand what he was saying. Some people have heavy accents but can speak concisely. This person was rambling.

I would prefer if there were a wide range of armor stats possible at any point in the game. I don't want the game to be so homogenized across all classes that you can reliably calculate a graph of "expected armor" for each level. Regardless, the armor stat representing damage reduction is awful in itself.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

It's not racist to say his English is nearly unintelligible. I could barely understand what he was saying. Some people have heavy accents but can speak concisely. This person was rambling.

I would prefer if there were a wide range of armor stats possible at any point in the game. I don't want the game to be so homogenized across all classes that you can reliably calculate a graph of "expected armor" for each level. Regardless, the armor stat representing damage reduction is awful in itself.
I mean expected stat is generally core of any RPG... so not sure why you would be against that. In fallout you could reasonably calculate what kind of stats you have, what kind of armor, equipment etc. half way through the game or whatever.
In a loot grinder game such as diablo, is becomes even more obvious, and u could balance and plan around it for some interesting outcomes I guess.
Dmg reduction through armor is hardly new, and it's only 1 factor of defensive in a variety of others.

Defensive stats can include dogde, DR, armor and all sorts of other stuff. If you could reach high defensive stats early in the game, u would effectively make the game piss easy and boring.

Being able to overcome obstacles in different stages of any RPG is kind of the core of how you play and how you balance for difficulty, combat etc.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

I mean expected stat is generally core of any RPG... so not sure why you would be against that. In fallout you could reasonably calculate what kind of stats you have, what kind of armor, equipment etc. half way through the game or whatever.
In a loot grinder game such as diablo, is becomes even more obvious, and u could balance and plan around it for some interesting outcomes I guess.
Dmg reduction through armor is hardly new, and it's only 1 factor of defensive in a variety of others.

Defensive stats can include dogde, DR, armor and all sorts of other stuff. If you could reach high defensive stats early in the game, u would effectively make the game piss easy and boring.

Being able to overcome obstacles in different stages of any RPG is kind of the core of how you play and how you balance for difficulty, combat etc.
In D2 defensive ability varies greatly between classes, and across different builds. That entire video was talking about damage reduction as if it could be generalized for the whole game, across different levels and classes. Damage reduction used to be a relatively rare modifier, and most survivability was focused on increasing HP and defense. This helped the game have more life-threatening situations even if you had a very strong character. If the focus were on damage reduction in D2, the combat experience would've been smoother, less exciting, as you would've known roughly how much damage the enemy would consistently do.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Nice to see the art direction, at least, return to the more gothic D1 style. I'm a bit surprised actually, given how popular their sickly-sweet WoW / D3 style was. Also cool to see that John Mueller is the art director, he's got a pretty good eye for this type of game. He was the art lead behind the now-defunct Skyshine studios' only game, Bedlam. I've spoken with John a few times, he actually worked at Interplay back in the Fallout 1 days. Even though he isn't credited, I think some of his style bled over into Boyarsky with things like Junktown, as John's old comics (OINK: Blood & Circus) are contemporary with Fallout 1 and has style and themes that appear in F1.

All that is to say, I find myself in a weird position of being... kinda interested in a blizzard game in 2023? What are the chances the action is slower-paced ala D1 vs the ADHD pace that is modern ARGPs?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

In D2 defensive ability varies greatly between classes, and across different builds. That entire video was talking about damage reduction as if it could be generalized for the whole game, across different levels and classes. Damage reduction used to be a relatively rare modifier, and most survivability was focused on increasing HP and defense. This helped the game have more life-threatening situations even if you had a very strong character. If the focus were on damage reduction in D2, the combat experience would've been smoother, less exciting, as you would've known roughly how much damage the enemy would consistently do.
No actually DR is the single most important stat in the entire game lol.

Shako, stormshield enigma runeword? all super BiS items that basically make u unkillable in the lategame due to Damage reduction. so you're quite mistaken. Add to that shields with block and all that, and yeah.

Defense and armor is fucking useless in D2. Teleport is broken good, and dr is the go-to along with paladin shield block or asn dodge

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

No actually DR is the single most important stat in the entire game lol.

Shako, stormshield enigma runeword? all super BiS items that basically make u unkillable in the lategame due to Damage reduction. so you're quite mistaken. Add to that shields with block and all that, and yeah.

Defense and armor is fucking useless in D2. Teleport is broken good, and dr is the go-to along with paladin shield block or asn dodge
None of the things you said refute my point. Damage reduction is a relatively rare modifier. Shako and Stormshield are unique items. All three of those items make the game less interesting, for the reasons I stated. Enigma is one of the most hated items, though people use it because it's too strong. If you want to see why focusing on damage reduction as the main stat for armor is dumb, like they seem to be doing with D4, go play D2 with high damage reduction.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
CBA to watch the whole video, but did I get this straight, if you're too retarded to build resistances accordingly they'll just give 50% of your physical mitigation as magical mitigation?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
rQ6K7X3.png
I've actually had worse on phone support and banking support. Dude from India once and a chink on another. Seriously fucking horrible.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Meng Song said they used this armor system to avoid big numbers late game. Or so it sounded to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom