Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

covr

Prophet
Patron
D3 skill system was pure crap IMO. Without reading 133 pages or watching Blizz dev diaries - how's going to work in D4? Is it better, it cannot be worse, right? Can we put some points into abilities like in D2? Or is skill allocation permanent? Skill trees?

Gaznak

Learned
shitting on Diablo 2, the pinnacle and genre-defining best ARPG

Shitting? You must be blind, good sir.
Only in D2 times it was really cool
was still good

Yes, D2 can be called as 'genre-defining'. And exactly because of this genre-definition the ARPG genre is now stale and stagnant. For me, the very idea of necessary replaying the same game thrice to develop your character fully is perverse.
Well, like, OK, I agree to play your game thrice but... wait, the items are the same, only with higher stats? And I replace my magnificent gothic armor, and formidable flamberge, and whatever else - with wooden boardshield and woolen cap, again? Come on, you must be kidding, you lazy jerks!

I always treated the people who traded D2 'rare runes' to each other for real money, raided bosses for 'better loot' over and over and over and over, as f**king freaks, you know. And it was D2 that started it all, this kind of 'gaming activities' unrelated with the game itself.

Hobknobling

Learned

was still good

Yes, D2 can be called as 'genre-defining'. And exactly because of this genre-definition the ARPG genre is now stale and stagnant. For me, the very idea of necessary replaying the same game thrice to develop your character fully is perverse.
Well, like, OK, I agree to play your game thrice but... wait, the items are the same, only with higher stats? And I replace my magnificent gothic armor, and formidable flamberge, and whatever else - with wooden boardshield and woolen cap, again? Come on, you must be kidding, you lazy jerks!

I always treated the people who traded D2 'rare runes' to each other for real money, raided bosses for 'better loot' over and over and over and over, as f**king freaks, you know. And it was D2 that started it all, this kind of 'gaming activities' unrelated with the game itself.
But... number go up... lizard brain happy...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Some of you need to find some FIFA thread and complain is not a realistic racing sim.
It's obviously not, there isn't even a lap timer in the game.
Otoh, in football (soccer for colonials) people run a lot. And they try to run faster then others to reach something. Ball or finish line. Legs or cars. It is all the same in the grand scheme of things.
Ergo a football game can be a racing sim.
Keep the ball on one toon and lap the field as many times as you can....

VROOM!!!

Serus

Arcane
Patron

was still good

Yep, I fully agree with you. And this coming from someone who spent several thousands hours on D2, 1000h+ on PoE, hundreds on Titan Quest and Grim Dawn and some more on shitty D2 clones i don't even remember the name. Thank Nurgle, Slanees and Khorne i don't do that anymore, stopped several years ago. The only positive thing (about D2 and PoE but not others) was the internet thing and ability to meet new people. Also make some money on D2 - something i am not too proud of - but money is money.

Btw: those were usually called "High Runes" - HR (JAH, BER, ZOD) and other valuable ones (from PUL/UM up) by names. Also they were far from the only thing to be traded. Some uniques (with high stats, especially "perfs", runewords with good rolls, rare jewels and more).
And they weren't traded for real money to "each other" in D2. The people who were selling them for real money (like me) were different from the ones who were paying real cash for them. Trust me, i know.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
what can i expect from d4 bosses? the few that i've seen in gameplay footage like blood bishop look like simplistic garbage.

will d4 have bosses like poe, lost ark, last epoch where you actually need to dodge shit or it'll be a 100% grinder like d2 with zero mechanics?

pvp seems abysmal too

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

was still good

Well at least D3 Auction House made the whole thing immediately moot.

ArchAngel

Arcane
what can i expect from d4 bosses? the few that i've seen in gameplay footage like blood bishop look like simplistic garbage.

will d4 have bosses like poe, lost ark, last epoch where you actually need to dodge shit or it'll be a 100% grinder like d2 with zero mechanics?

pvp seems abysmal too
I hope they are more like D2, PoE bosses are mostly super irritating.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Devs need to stop trying to make Diablo-like games resemble MMOs. Everything should be balanced around single-player.

that does not sell skins and it s a worse skinner box. so it'll never happen

d2 profits are no longer acceptable

Gaznak

Learned
Trust me, i know.

I trust you fully :)

Yeah, I do know that people traded (and still trade) not only runes but items as well. And no, I didn't know that sellers and buyers were different people :) So much the worse for both.

I spent many hours in D2, don't know exactly how many, through many years. I remember even having skipped my work playing D2 days and nights instead. But I spent this time trying different classes and honing my builds, deleting and starting again, and IIRC I tried Nightmare only once with my Spearazon (one of my most succesful builds), and I left it after an hour of playing just because it was excruciatingly boring and ruined the charm of being clad in shining gothic armor :)

I tried PoE some time ago but quit immediately, I hate online-only thing, and the game itself seemed chaotic and inconsistent.

And I can't play Grim Dawn after Titan Quest :) The only thing I liked in GD is the setting.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Devs need to stop trying to make Diablo-like games resemble MMOs. Everything should be balanced around single-player.
D2 wasnt balanced around single player either when it released, so thats a dumb point.

D3 was oriignally going to be MMO-styled.. and its not a bad idea if the execution is good.

D4 can be played entirely solo if u want, with just other players running around in towns n shit. its fine

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Trust me, i know.

I trust you fully :)

Yeah, I do know that people traded (and still trade) not only runes but items as well. And no, I didn't know that sellers and buyers were different people :) So much the worse for both.

I spent many hours in D2, don't know exactly how many, through many years. I remember even having skipped my work playing D2 days and nights instead. But I spent this time trying different classes and honing my builds, deleting and starting again, and IIRC I tried Nightmare only once with my Spearazon (one of my most succesful builds), and I left it after an hour of playing just because it was excruciatingly boring and ruined the charm of being clad in shining gothic armor :)

I tried PoE some time ago but quit immediately, I hate online-only thing, and the game itself seemed chaotic and inconsistent.

And I can't play Grim Dawn after Titan Quest :) The only thing I liked in GD is the setting.
Not worse for both. The ones who sold, earned money. The ones who bought were spending throwing away money. I call it a difference.
:keepmyjewgold:

The whole practice however was... questionable. OTOH I liked the in-game trading (barter, item for item or rune) a lot unlike many other people. That was how i made my "wealth", not doing hundreds of boring Whatever-runs. That is before i started using bots - practice i'm not fond of.

As to playing "three times". The thing is, there were methods to shorten greatly the levelling process and go through all 3 difficulties in a couple of hours. You had to know where to level, what could be skipped, what were OP low level uniques/runewords, etc. It was boring but relatively fast. You can't have a complete build without enough levels. Add unique items that were dropping solely at higher difficulties - some of them builds enabling. There were some additional content like bosses, etc. I remember in Titan Quest you had a Hydra to fight but only on higher difficulties. Not significant enough to make it worthwhile tough.
In general however, as far as design goes, I share your sentiment that making gamers to play 3 times almost the same thing is a really, really (really...) bad idea. And that D2 started it.

I agree about Grim Dawn as well. Titan Quest had more charm even if mechanically GD was improved and had semi-original setting. Still, I lost a few hundred hours of my life on GD as well.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Is there a good singleplayer or couch co-op ARPG in the same style, released in the last 5 years or so?

ADL

Prophet
Is there a good singleplayer or couch co-op ARPG in the same style, released in the last 5 years or so?
Not necessarily good by codex standards but I think the Warhammer Chaosbane game is pretty fun for offline singleplayer/local cooperative play. If you're playing it for the Warhammer fantasy license, it's worth the $5 you can grab the complete edition on sale for.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not necessarily good by codex standards but I think the Warhammer Chaosbane game is pretty fun for offline singleplayer/local cooperative play. If you're playing it for the Warhammer fantasy license, it's worth the $5 you can grab the complete edition on sale for.

Counterpoint: that game sucks, it's not even worth downloading for free.

Older than 5 years, but Grim Dawn can be fun.

Last Epoch was fairly decent from what I've played of it. It's still in Early Access though.

If I was going to play a Warhammer type Diablo like, I'd take Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor over Chaosbane. I didn't love Inquisitor either, but it was still miles better than Chaosbane. Imo, Chaosbane managed to be less fun and more cheap feeling than Darkstone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom