Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I can't understand how they fucked the UI up so badly.

They've got literal decades of good UI design to draw inspiration from at this point.
Diablo immortal + consoles is my bet

the UI overall looks very mobile

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
most people dont give a shit about poes complexity, its one of the things that ppl DONT want.

PoE is a spreadsheet simulator for aspergers autists/ADHD people, with graphics tacked on for a GUI lol.
Sure its got complexity, everything else sucks big fat dick up the ass

You can't tell whats what half the time with so much pixel dogshit on the screen and the ADHD speed pacing of the game, let alone the overly complex "builds" and grindy itemization.

I don't get the appeal of POE's fuckhuge Chinese checkers skill board. I remember opening it up once, saying fuck this, because I didn't want to spend half a day figuring out what was in each direction and just uninstalled it.

Even if they kept the same number of options and +1% whatever things, but organized it more intelligibly, they'd be doing themselves a favour.

Reinhardt

Arcane
most people dont give a shit about poes complexity, its one of the things that ppl DONT want.

PoE is a spreadsheet simulator for aspergers autists/ADHD people, with graphics tacked on for a GUI lol.

You can't tell whats what half the time with so much pixel dogshit on the screen and the ADHD speed pacing of the game, let alone the overly complex "builds" and grindy itemization.

I don't get the appeal of POE's fuckhuge Chinese checkers skill board. I remember opening it up once, saying fuck this, because I didn't want to spend half a day figuring out what was in each direction and just uninstalled it.

Even if they kept the same number of options and +1% whatever things, but organized it more intelligibly, they'd be doing themselves a favour.
just use search by keywords, nigger

mediocrepoet

Patron

Just make an intelligible UI, fuckwit.

Reinhardt

Arcane

it's easy to use. maybe try use kb+mouse next time?

Ryzer

Arcane
Be glad there isn't a full-blown rainbow flag in the UI to show support for LGBTQ+ community in the diablo universe and community.
In any case, when was the last time an AAA has a good UI?

mediocrepoet

Patron

Congrats on making what may actually be your most retarded post. It was a high bar to clear, but you're definitely bringing your A game.

jUsT uSe A mOuSe BrO!

passivetree2-519x506.jpg

Who has time for this shit?

Reinhardt

Arcane

mediocrepoet

Patron

Congrats on making what may actually be your most retarded post. It was a high bar to clear, but you're definitely bringing your A game.

jUsT uSe A mOuSe BrO!

passivetree2-519x506.jpg

type "health" or "strength" or whatever you need, nigger.

Try playing a decent game, dumbfuck.

Reinhardt

Arcane

jUsT uSe A mOuSe BrO!

passivetree2-519x506.jpg

type "health" or "strength" or whatever you need, nigger.

Try playing a decent game, dumbfuck.
wrong threadsubforum

Angthoron

Arcane
That skilltree is indeed massive and hard to read. However, it's not the main issue of PoE. And, to be fair, each class has a starting point to build from as a suggestion for a starting point. And to be even more fair, you should just go to some site with meta builds and take something that sounds like your thing.

Why? Because things don't end at the skill tree, oh no no.

Then you have the gems, and the way they multiply and scale and bounce off the tree, other items, various buffs, time of the day, your positioning in the chair, your latency, planetary alignment and a few other minor variables.

There's a few programs and such to help you plan your character, but until you've had 3+ years of hands-on PoE experience, I would not recommend trying to deviate from build instructions even for the tiniest step. Because it might be that tiny step that separates your 1000000000000000000000 damage build from the 1000000 build, and fuck you for thinking you figured anything out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That skilltree is indeed massive and hard to read. However, it's not the main issue of PoE. And, to be fair, each class has a starting point to build from as a suggestion for a starting point. And to be even more fair, you should just go to some site with meta builds and take something that sounds like your thing.

Then you have the gems, and the way they multiply and scale and bounce off the tree, other items, various buffs, time of the day, your positioning in the chair, your latency, planetary alignment and a few other minor variables.

There's a few programs and such to help you plan your character, but until you've had 3+ years of hands-on PoE experience, I would not recommend trying to deviate from build instructions even for the tiniest step. Because it might be that tiny step that separates your 1000000000000000000000 damage build from the 1000000 build, and fuck you for thinking you figured anything out.
That tree was one of the reason why many new players didn't bother but then autistic devs decided to add passive tree modifying jewels... of multiple kinds..

Sykar

Arcane

And yet in the end all it leads to is degenerate two or three button spam. And please spare me with "muh potions" because endgame builds kill and crit so much that keeping them on 24/7 is child's play.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
People that want a deep character customization.
I think Chris Wilson said in an interview that they had an idea once of showing you only a small part of the skill tree at first and progressively unlocking more and more as you level but they decided against it because it would give the wrong impression off what the game is about. If you're going to be put off by the skill tree you're going to be put off by other system in the game as well.

ArchAngel

Arcane

And yet in the end all it leads to is degenerate two or three button spam. And please spare me with "muh potions" because endgame builds kill and crit so much that keeping them on 24/7 is child's play.
Potions are a negative of PoE, not a positive. I didn't need to play potion piano in D2 to have fun. When I want to play a 100+ APM game I start Starcraft 2, it is only game where it is actually part of good design.

Sykar

Arcane

Potions are a negative of PoE, not a positive. I didn't need to play potion piano in D2 to have fun. When I want to play a 100+ APM game I start Starcraft 2, it is only game where it is actually part of good design.

Friend of mine was almost at 200 apm. Though then again, he was in a pro clan and trained a lot, unlike me since I was busy with work and just played a little after work to relax so he always spanked me but we had good fun. Though one day he challenged me on his old Super Nintendo that was still lying around but unlucky for him I was quite decent at Street Fighter 2 back in my earlier years. After I gave him good long spanking for a change despite being rusty compared to a decade before or so he was a little upset and I had to remind him that this is how I feel occasionally when he crushed me in Starcraft:BW even though we were overall having a good time.
Man sometimes I miss those days.
:dealwithit:

Ryzer

Arcane
"I love how deep and complex PoE is - I'm a true strategist!"

> looks up optimal build guides on autismo-builds.com where they've crunched everything through a spreadsheet for months
> deviating even a little from this build leads to a completely garbage largely unplayable experience
You forgot the part where you have to farm for dozens of hours in boring areas, completing bland quests until you gain a significant level for the gameplay to turn into 5+ buttons mashup instead of a 2-3 buttons mashup.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
"I love how deep and complex PoE is - I'm a true strategist!"

> looks up optimal build guides on autismo-builds.com where they've crunched everything through a spreadsheet for months
> deviating even a little from this build leads to a completely garbage largely unplayable experience
You forgot the part where you have to farm for dozens of hours in boring areas, completing bland quests until you gain a significant level for the gameplay to turn into 5+ buttons mashup instead of a 2-3 buttons mashup.

I had more written out.. about how the PoE experience is 30% sitting around AFK waiting to trade up / down to get that exact set of items you need for said build.

But I think you could argue this is the nature of the beast when it comes to this game type.

The fundamental biggest issue with PoE is that experimentation and creativity are hugely punished - and that's usually the most rewarding part of the game.
New players see that large board and all those ability gems and think "wow.. I'm gonna try to create something uniqu- NO. Follow the excel sheet or you'll fail.

Never have I seen a newb trap so punishing. The chasm between the 20 'meta builds' and the 200 billion 'that's not gonna fucking work' builds is huge.
This game punishes the most enjoyable thing about an RPG - very severely. (You can lose 100's of hours on a bad mistake)

Ryzer

Arcane
But I think you could argue this is the nature of the beast when it comes to this game type.

The fundamental biggest issue with PoE is that experimentation and creativity are hugely punished - and that's usually the most rewarding part of the game.
New players see that large board and all those ability gems and think "wow.. I'm gonna try to create something uniqu- NO. Follow the excel sheet or you'll fail.

Never have I seen a newb trap so punishing. The chasm between the 20 'meta builds' and the 200 billion 'that's not gonna fucking work' builds is huge.
This game punishes the most enjoyable thing about an RPG - very severely. (You can lose 100's of hours on a bad mistake)
Fun fact: This applies to Underrail too.

abija

Prophet
if you want a masterclass in taking your game apart and find out what's wrong with it, employ Kripp

PoE lead made a presentation about how much discussing with Kripp helped them early but somehow he manages to completely ignore his feedback after the game got big. He could just scour his stream for free consulting (and not only him, they have a bunch of level headed streamers).

Right the UI is trash, I agree. and hopefully they fix it. it's one of the few things fixable and bad things in D4.

If the Paragon system truns out to be 10 times more complex than PoE I'd be less surprised than UI changing before an expansion or major update.

mediocrepoet
Pretty sure PoE tree starts zoomed in. Take a hint.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom