Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
So, if your high-level character is having trouble with an area, can you ask a friend to make a new character to help you kill the problem enemies?

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
So, if your high-level character is having trouble with an area, can you ask a friend to make a new character to help you kill the problem enemies?
The world adjusts to the party leader. So yeah, you should be able to clear an area easily if your low-level friend leads. But that would only progress his world state, not yours. There wouldn't be much benefit for your character.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
The world adjusts to the party leader. So yeah, you should be able to clear an area easily if your low-level friend leads. But that would only progress his world state, not yours. There wouldn't be much benefit for your character.
What about multiple parties? Is that even a thing?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Microcosms of gaming decline in this thread. If you ever wonder why RPGs are so shit just look at the last page. One retard played Diablo for the story, another thought min maxing in an RPG is accounting, third suggests the genre should had gone the puzzle route (Nox).

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
W8, so this thing has enemies scaling to your level, but also allows multiple players in the same instance. How does one mechanic interact with the other, if your level is 20, and the other guy's 2?

Oh that's the best part.
All incoming and outgoing damage is personally scaled. So from your perspective your level 3 buddy is doing a lot of damage and from his perspective your a manlet.
That has been going on in WoW for years. Welcome to nuu-gaming.

EDIT:
The obvious outcome.. that literally anyone but a retard monkey at blizzard could of told you was:

You lose all sense of progression
and worse than that - You feel weaker the higher level you are - because your items scale worse for you

Imagine a game design where the more you level up the weaker you fucking get. Brilliant.

Microcosms of gaming decline in this thread. If you ever wonder why RPGs are so shit just look at the last page. One retard played Diablo for the story, another thought min maxing in an RPG is accounting, third suggests the genre should had gone the puzzle route (Nox).

> Nox is a puzzle game

Hey thanks for your opinion guy-who-makes-shit-up

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
PoE fags shit on every ARPG that's not PoE with such autistic devotion that is difficult to understand. Labeling Nox the "puzzle route" is amazing.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
All incoming and outgoing damage is personally scaled.
Ah, that could be reasonable.
So from your perspective your level 3 buddy is doing a lot of damage and from his perspective your a manlet.

EDIT:
The obvious outcome.. that literally anyone but a retard monkey at blizzard could of told you was:

and worse than that - You feel weaker the higher level you are - because your items scale worse for you

Imagine a game design where the more you level up the weaker you fucking get. Brilliant.
Lulz, that is NOT reasonable. SWTOR scales you down if you overlevel an area, but you still mop the floor with a supermajority of the mobs. No scaling up for lowbies tho.

Arbiter

Scholar

In The Frozen Throne Arthas loses a level in every mission and this mechanic feels fresh and challenging in that game. NuBlizzard is only capable of rehashing old ideas, whether they fit new games or not.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I don't understand why all the nostalgic fags in this thread have to lament "muh good old days" when Soulsborne games exist. They have everything you niggers are asking for:

- slow, intimate and meaningful combat
- minimal loot
- build variety
- thicc atmosphere
- lore

aRPGs should be about killing, looting, leveling, min-maxing and feeling the progression of your character towards godhood. Why can't you just let us fun-havers have our fun and go play those grognard games, you grognards?

Old Hans

Arcane
The first time I played diablo back in the 80's or whenever it came out, I had no concept of the action rpg looter genre, so I approached it like a normal RPG and after I finsiehd it I thought "14 dungeon levels? THAT'S IT???? what is this NAZI HORSE SHIT?"

and I literally never played it again

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I don't understand why all the nostalgic fags in this thread have to lament "muh good old days" when Soulsborne games exist. They have everything you niggers are asking for:

- slow, intimate and meaningful combat
- minimal loot
- build variety
- thicc atmosphere
- lore

aRPGs should be about killing, looting, leveling, min-maxing and feeling the progression of your character towards godhood. Why can't you just let us fun-havers have our fun and go play those grognard games, you grognards?

There's "arpgs" and then there are arpgs. Most people in this thread are talking about diablo-likes, which is a genre onto itself much like souls-likes.

But I'll burn my grognard cred by saying that because of this thread, I finally decided to listen to a buddy of mine and picked up V Rising. Despite initially hating it due to its blasphemous mix of crafting survival mechanics, I actually think it's well designed and... fun? It's not really an arpg though, even though it scratches the same itch.

I'm only two hours in, but I... like it.

A good vampire game? I'm sure people are on their way to tell me why this opinion is wrong.

:shredder:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Kjaska reacted to your post in the thread Diablo IV - coming June 6th with
cool story bro

Bad Spelling

retadred

retadred

--

:lol:

Anomander

Scholar
Let me just put here a video:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I finally decided to listen to a buddy of mine and picked up V Rising.

V Rising is a really good vampire game, it's "survival" mechanics being tied to sun light and blood sucking are really well done. Best part I like is you are what you eat.
I just need some slave or thralls in this kind of games, to build housing in my place. I can eat and sack whole villages by myself but building my chateau bores me to dead after a short while.

Jimeh

Educated
Oh that's the best part.
All incoming and outgoing damage is personally scaled. So from your perspective your level 3 buddy is doing a lot of damage and from his perspective your a manlet.

EDIT:

It's your choice whether you want to see the glass as half-empty or half-full.

Is it really a problem that you can group with your friends regardless of your levels or is this a solution to the problem? I grouped with a level 25 when I was level 13 and it was great. He wasn't overpowered, I wasn't underpowered. It was just like I was playing a brawler like Double Dragon at the arcades and someone else joined the game.

All the progression systems still function perfectly. You don't get any less XP because you're partied with a high level player. You both get your own drops appropriate for your level. You don't feel weaker the higher level you are until your items are getting old but the system to extract the legendary aspect from an item then attach it to a new one means you can keep your favourite item for quite a long time. It does all scale but it seems to be done really well.

Sacred 2 is an example of scaling done poorly. I remember I even started again just so I could pick 1 skill and never get another one because it would make me weaker. It didn't feel like this in D4. In fact, using Barbarian as an example, I started off feeling quite weak but as I gained more skills though levels and found good items I ended up feeling very strong.

Edit: So, I was just wondering how far the level gap could be and I think the limiting factor will be the World Tier. Anyone can start on "Adventure" (easy) or "Veteran" (normal) but you need to be level 50 to start playing on Nightmare, where a new tier of items start to drop. Then even higher there's Torment where extremely rare Ancestral tier items start to drop. Bliz said Ancestral items are so rare you might only find 2 or 3 a season.

I guess if a level 90 was happy to play on Veteran they could still play with a level 10 friend but the level 10 wouldn't be able to join a Torment game. The only thing would be the level 90 probably wouldn't want any Veteran world tier items, but I assume they'd still get xp and appropriate level drops up to Legendary quality but no Sacred or Ancestral, which would be what they want for gear progression.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
W8, so this thing has enemies scaling to your level, but also allows multiple players in the same instance. How does one mechanic interact with the other, if your level is 20, and the other guy's 2?

A little more elaborate but dmg is transformed in % enemy hp. Lvl 1 player hits lvl 1 enemy and produces x% dmg, lvl 10 player -> lvl 10 enemy produces y% dmg.

Sykar

Arcane

Sacred 2 is an example of scaling done poorly. I remember I even started again just so I could pick 1 skill and never get another one because it would make me weaker. It didn't feel like this in D4. In fact, using Barbarian as an example, I started off feeling quite weak but as I gained more skills though levels and found good items I ended up feeling very strong.
What? That is just blatant nonsense. The scaling is not great but everything else you said is plain nonsense. I can only assume that you did not understand the system enough to make an effective character build. Both Sacred games are rather unforgiving on that front.

Jimeh

Educated
Are you sure? I'm not saying other builds aren't viable but did you ever try only spending a single skill point? :)

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh that's the best part.

EDIT:

It's your choice whether you want to see the glass as half-empty or half-full.

Is it really a problem that you can group with your friends regardless of your levels or is this a solution to the problem? I grouped with a level 25 when I was level 13 and it was great. He wasn't overpowered, I wasn't underpowered. It was just like I was playing a brawler like Double Dragon at the arcades and someone else joined the game.

All the progression systems still function perfectly. You don't get any less XP because you're partied with a high level player. You both get your own drops appropriate for your level. You don't feel weaker the higher level you are until your items are getting old but the system to extract the legendary aspect from an item then attach it to a new one means you can keep your favourite item for quite a long time. It does all scale but it seems to be done really well.

Edit: So, I was just wondering how far the level gap could be and I think the limiting factor will be the World Tier. Anyone can start on "Adventure" (easy) or "Veteran" (normal) but you need to be level 50 to start playing on Nightmare, where a new tier of items start to drop. Then even higher there's Torment where extremely rare Ancestral tier items start to drop. Bliz said Ancestral items are so rare you might only find 2 or 3 a season.

I guess if a level 90 was happy to play on Veteran they could still play with a level 10 friend but the level 10 wouldn't be able to join a Torment game. The only thing would be the level 90 probably wouldn't want any Veteran world tier items, but I assume they'd still get xp and appropriate level drops up to Legendary quality but no Sacred or Ancestral, which would be what they want for gear progression.
This is all well and good but some players don't want to group with others at all and for those players this system offers nothing in exchange for a pretty big penalty to immersion.

Angthoron

Arcane
IIRC GW2 did a good job with level scaling.

Higher level chars would scale down to the zone's "recommended" level, but if they'd get to a higher level zone, they'd get their regular levels back. Scaling down would bring stats to "recommended" + downscaled bonus stats that you would have. Plus whatever other sources of power you'd have that a regular character of that level range couldn't. So your character would never feel weaker to play in that downscaled area, you WOULD be helping out your lowbie friends, but at the same time, things wouldn't die just from you sneezing at them, either.

I don't know, is this really rocket surgery?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom