Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Reinhardt

Arcane
Bought Wolcen for like $2-3, which is suppose to be a shit tier ARPG and was pleasantly surprised.

After that watched some D4 gameplay from the beta and still can't believe people will be buying it for $70-100. Feels and looks like an indie game from Steam.
Is the story decent?
Depends on what you expect, but I haven't got very far. Dialogues are sometimes cringeworthy, but overall premise and lore are interesting although not new. Feels like it was heavily inspired by Warhammer.

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

Jimeh

Educated
Angthoron,

I mostly play old roguelikes so I fully understand there's a certain magic in the old systems, perhaps even because of their flaws. But these games still exist. New games want to do things in new ways and, honestly, the distinction between genres is getting much more blurred. Most games have RPG elements, these days.

But, maybe a turn based souls game could be a good idea? Maybe a Diablo game with souls combat would be fun too. I wouldn't say new games trying new things would be ridiculous. I expect it.

The Diablo4 campaign, on the way to end-game, seemed pretty decent. There's much more story than in the past games, in engine cutscenes and stuff. As someone else said, just try playing on HARDCORE if you want higher stakes and want to spend less time in the endgame systems.

The first time you hear a story will always be the best. After you watch a movie you'll probably go watch a different movie. Even though there's really only so many themes that apply to being a human. All stories are essentially the same about love and betrayal and being a hero and stuff which has existed forever. You just enjoy the remix then go watch another one. I've seen so many horror movies yet they're all pretty much identical. I don't really think there's anything that can be done in a game to fix this. Sure, you can have branching dialogues and different endings based on your decisions. But, we're talking about Diablo here. It's about killing monsters and getting loot. Like you say, there's no need to mash the genres together. If you want more story you can go play a visual novel or something. I think D4 has included enough story.

Storyfag,
How is the end result the same as being scaled down? You still fight your level monsters and get your level drops.

Reinhardt,
Some fren that guy was! In D4 you don't really get help with a boss you just fight it together. But, in that example where I was level 13 and partying with a level 25 we did run into The Butcher which would have destroyed us both but we ended up beating it by having the player he was focusing on run away while the other hit him in the butt. He didn't drop his unique cleaver, though. :(

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Scaling will only feel abit weird leveling... endgame scaling has always been there with rifts, maps etc.

Scaling is a non-issue really, since leveling aint fucking hard anyway, but it will present a decent challenge now instead of being a total pushover.

also old areas will stay relevant

"Don't worry.. there's infinite scaling rifts in the end game.. so scaling during leveling isn't so bad.. cause there's more scaling later"

Thanks for not responding to anyone and just making strawmen arguments up.

Are you one of the 16 people that still play Diablo 3 when the latter resets?
How's that rivetting rift gameplay going for you?

Jimeh

Educated
I could go through all these "thoughts" and tear you a new one for each. But I am pressed for time. I will just comment that you are full of shit and/or retarded.

Yes, not every RPG needs levels, or hp and damage increasing with levels. No, D4 is not doing it properly. SWTOR and GW2 did. Sort of, but still imperfectly. And I don't think the Diablo franchise should be the one going that way.

Out of time? You don't have to make excuses. ;)

I'll make the time to reply to your "thoughts".

Not every RPG needs levels? I think you're agreeing with me there?

No, D4 is not doing it (scaling?) properly. It works, doesn't it? Over 1 million people played the pre-order beta. Must be doing something right? I bet the open beta has so many players it breaks the servers. What are competitors doing wrong that they're not attracting those sort of numbers?

SWTOR and GW2? I didn't play SWTOR. Don't really like Star Wars beyond the original 3 movies. I played a fair bit of GW2 and enjoyed it but I don't remember how it scaled things.

Diablo franchise? Well, I was disappointed by Diablo2. 1 was much more of a roguelike. But I was a big fan of Blizzard because of Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft so I naturally got into WoW. Diablo3 was decent, a bit more like WoW than Diablo. I think Diablo 4 is what 3 should have been but similar to what's been working for them. But I'm really just commenting on the beta. We'll see how good the full game turns out but I'm optimistic. It's all subjective, anyway. :P

Yosharian

Arcane
There's something cool about going somewhere you shouldn't .. overcoming or getting your ass handed to you.. bringing higher level friends or getting stronger yourself.
I have fond memories having my more powerful friends help me through difficult content or me helping my friends through content they shouldn't be in.
Yes but we need to sell MTX and cosmetics so be quiet and consume product

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hobo Elf,
Well, it seems sort of hard to believe that the locals killed the hard stuff and forgot the easy stuff, but I'm happy to suspend disbelief here.
Think of it this way: there's a reason why goblins and gibberlings are on the same tier as giant rats and spiders. They are literally vermin, not an existential threat. You can thin them out but getting rid of them entirely is impossible. But you can cause predators to go extinct.

Sykar

Arcane
I mean, fuck, this sites slogan is "doesn't scale to your level" and I get it. I prefer a goblin to be a goblin forever and to fight harder monsters rather than scaled monsters as the game progresses.

But, at the same time, It wouldn't break the lore to leave Candlekeep in Baldurs Gate and walk straight into a Red Dragon. Is it just luck that in RPGs you always run into enemies appropriate to your level? All BG1 and you never run into any level 20 monsters yet wander down to Amn and suddenly you'll never find a level 1?

Like, it's just a game. You just suspend disbelief. Ian McKellen plays a wizard in LOTR but do you think he goes home and shoots lightning bolts into his boyfriends asshole? Just accept the fantasy. Focus on the story and the sound and graphics and just enjoy the ride without picking it to bits. There's plenty of immersion if you allow it. :)

Power leveling is fun but you'd have to agree it's breaking the game. I beat BG with a solo character because, for some reason, you get 6 times more XP when you don't have to share it around. But if you think about the roleplay, how does that make any sense? Surely there would be more experience to be had from working as a team and establishing some party coordination and tactics?

I don't think there's really any downside. In games there's sort of no wrong answers, lots of ways to do the same things. PoE removing gold and using ID scrolls and stuff for money is perfectly valid but there's nothing inherently wrong with good old gold, either.

If you make act 1 of 5 exclusively for level 1 to 20 then at end game you end up with only 20% of the content. I think its better to keep it open and let people do any of the 140 dungeons in the whole game rather than just the 25 in act 5. It's easy to see the reasoning behind the decisions made for D4.

At the end of the day, you can play whatever you want. If you're still having fun with PoE or something then that's awesome and you should keep playing. But I've played everything and I'm bored of everything and can't wait to play more D4 because it's a new game with its own take on things and it all seems to work really well for the type of game it is.
Dragons are rare. Goblins are not. The likelihood of randomly meeting those low level monsters is a lot higher than most high level monsters simply due to population. In fact most dragons are rather lazy once they have their hoard and rarely leave their cave so usually you have to seek them out. That is true for many other powerful monsters as well.

abija

Prophet
While you ramble about level scaling:
- zones seem to have a min level (there was a lvl 35 monster in beta near a closed zone)
- Kripp was exaggerating (or he lost his marbles and doesn't realize that his statements about barb starting hard and getting stronger with levels contradict his theory about level scaling and skills only improving a char by max 10%)

Angthoron

Arcane
- Kripp was exaggerating (or he lost his marbles and doesn't realize that his statements about barb starting hard and getting stronger with levels contradict his theory about level scaling and skills only improving a char by max 10%)
I take it you're lucky enough not to have played WoW in the recent years.

Player at iLevel 370 will be running into enemies at, say, 500K health, and their attacks feel impactful
Player at iLevel 385 will be running into enemies at, say, 640K health, and their attacks will, again, feel impactful
Player's armor went up by 4 points, health went up by 2K, time to kill the enemy mob went up by 15%

Yeah, at some point your gear climbs over this cliff, since it's all in tiered brackets, and your performance at the moment you enter the bracket will be drastically different than at the point you're about to exit it, but nevertheless, you're basically stuck on an endless treadmill that's stacked against you. I don't see them doing it too differently with Diablo 4, except I'd imagine it to be a lot more casual and the brackets being a lot less noticeable.

It's similar to D3's levelling experience, there are certain brackets which you enter with your L24 gear, and you feel weak as fuck, then you get to L32 and you feel like you're trashing your opposition at last, and then wham, you're 33 and suddenly, the trash is you.

So yeah, no, Kripp knows what he's talking about, it's typical Blizz scaling design.

abija

Prophet
You aren't exaggerating for effect either I suppose? You talk about WoW and D3 leveling and you use "stuck on endless treadmill" ? God at 32, trash at 33... Really?

Angthoron

Arcane
You aren't exaggerating for effect either I suppose? You talk about WoW and D3 leveling and you use "stuck on endless treadmill" ? God at 32, trash at 33... Really?
It may be a minor exaggeration, but it's still very noticeable. There are "power brackets" that Blizzard seems to love to use in their "evergreen content".

It's there in WoW's open world, it's there in D3 levelling, etc.

This is why Kripp mentions the bit where you might end up hunting for the same legendary items of a higher item level just to keep up in terms of power.

It really is that way, and it's a really lazy bit of design.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Kjaska reacted to your post in the thread Diablo IV - coming June 6th with
cool story bro

Bad Spelling

retadred

retadred

--

:lol:
Kjaska is our zoomer version of Lilura.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
While you ramble about level scaling:
- zones seem to have a min level (there was a lvl 35 monster in beta near a closed zone)

That is another problem though.It's pure laziness of design as even the retards at Blizzard understand that you need some enemies that are not level scaled to present some sort of anchor, but don't want to spent time creating tailored encounters all the time. It's telling that the most interesting thing in the D4 beta was the 25 lvl world boss that is not level scaled and that 35 lvl mob that is also not down scaled. Most people don't notice how bad level scaling is when stating a new game, but when you know the system going into a game it's jarring and I suspect a lot of complains will be made and I hope this becomes hated feature in a larger scale.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Are class-locked item drops still a thing?

As offensive as level scaling tbh.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Are class-locked item drops still a thing?

As offensive as level scaling tbh.

What you think? Ofc it's still a thing, when retarded system is introduced it's here to stay. There is some mobs that have their loot table and you can get non-class uniques, but that may be a bug. Not to mention the stats are so watered down and homogenized that it doesn't even matter. What you will want in d4's items is the unique modifiers (aspects) like in the later d3 and Immortal. Having +50 strength or +50 dexterity on item is meaningless , when the point is to have a stat that gives your specific spell +100% damage.

Last edited:

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
> Nox is a puzzle game

Hey thanks for your opinion guy-who-makes-shit-up

That was one of the main gimmicks of Nox guy-who-dont-remember-shit.

gJvilbg.jpg

My favorite scuffed kiwi Quin69 covers it very well.

Love when the first thing he zooms in at 6:16 to praise the graphics is horrendous looking tree. lol

Peachcurl

Arcane
That hardly makes it a puzzle game.

edit: and "major gimmick"? Eh. They don't even sell it as "puzzles" in that image. If you play Nox expecting puzzles to be a major experience in the game, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Over 1 million people played the pre-order beta. Must be doing something right?
:nocountryforshitposters:
This argument? Here, of all places?
It's all subjective, anyway.
No amount of simping will turn shit into not-shit. And you finding enjoyment in shit is not a subjective thing, it is called being an untermensch of low standards.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron

edit: and "major gimmick"? Eh. They don't even sell it as "puzzles" in that image. If you play Nox expecting puzzles to be a major experience in the game, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Are you guys slow or didn't play Nox at all, switches, elevators, caves, hidden buttons, environmental manipulation with spells and all that shit is in the game and the main way to progress in a lot of levels. It's not THE MAIN THING, but it's the thing that separated it from Diablo at the time.

Peachcurl

Arcane

Are you guys slow or didn't play Nox at all, switches, elevators, caves, hidden buttons, environmental manipulation with spells and all that shit is in the game and the main way to progress in a lot of levels.
No, you just seem to think that pressing a button is a puzzle.

edit after your edit: Diablo 1 also had buttons. :>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom