Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Jimeh

Educated
Hobo Elf said:
Technically you could do whatever you want, but generally people try to design something that makes sense. Throwing enemies without thought at the player is what we call bad game design. In an RPG where having convincing world building is a very important part of the experience it's a death sentence.

Diablo 4 doesn't scale encounters, it scales enemies. Which as I already explained is very different. D2 is one of the longest lasting games in the industry and it did it without having endlessly scaling content.

Sure, D2 was popular but the endgame was trash. There was nothing to do but join a Baal run and have some sorc with maphacks teleport to the boss and open a TP. You had to play through the game, scaled up, a few times to get to this.

D3 actually sold really well and tried a bunch of things without much success. Ultimately, after the original game director quit, the endgame was just a very boring paragon system and an endless "kill 6 boars" bounty system and some rift keys along with, what, 12 difficulty settings? They did put some effort into the Seasons.

D4 looks set to blow all of them out of the water with the amount of endgame. Loads of dungeons (over 140), two new item quality tiers, PVP zones with an extraction game mechanic to get rewards, a paragon board system that looks much like PoEs passive skill tree, Helltide zone events, world boss events and and improved bounty system called Whispers of the Dead AND new seasons every 3 months with new gear and events and who knows what.

It's far from just throwing enemies without thought. They know how fast players burn though content and they've made sure to launch with more end-game than any of the previous titles. You can bet there will be thousands of players who finish the campaign in 1 sitting. Blizzards solutions to problems do make sense. For people who enjoy the game, and you can never make everyone happy, having loads of content is the main priority.

Yosharian

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
Technically you could do whatever you want, but generally people try to design something that makes sense. Throwing enemies without thought at the player is what we call bad game design. In an RPG where having convincing world building is a very important part of the experience it's a death sentence.

Diablo 4 doesn't scale encounters, it scales enemies. Which as I already explained is very different. D2 is one of the longest lasting games in the industry and it did it without having endlessly scaling content.

Sure, D2 was popular but the endgame was trash. There was nothing to do but join a Baal run and have some sorc with maphacks teleport to the boss and open a TP. You had to play through the game, scaled up, a few times to get to this.

D3 actually sold really well and tried a bunch of things without much success. Ultimately, after the original game director quit, the endgame was just a very boring paragon system and an endless "kill 6 boars" bounty system and some rift keys along with, what, 12 difficulty settings? They did put some effort into the Seasons.

D4 looks set to blow all of them out of the water with the amount of endgame. Loads of dungeons (over 140), two new item quality tiers, PVP zones with an extraction game mechanic to get rewards, a paragon board system that looks much like PoEs passive skill tree, Helltide zone events, world boss events and and improved bounty system called Whispers of the Dead AND new seasons every 3 months with new gear and events and who knows what.

It's far from just throwing enemies without thought. They know how fast players burn though content and they've made sure to launch with more end-game than any of the previous titles. You can bet there will be thousands of players who finish the campaign in 1 sitting. Blizzards solutions to problems do make sense. For people who enjoy the game, and you can never make everyone happy, having loads of content is the main priority.
I want to believe, but this is Blizzard. They will fuck it up somehow.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hobo Elf said:

I want to believe, but this is Blizzard. They will fuck it up somehow.

This man is praising D3 seasons. Some of the most lip-servicy low-effort post-production maintenance we've seen in these types of games ever. Fucking Wolcen has a more fleshed out end game ffs :lol:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I feel like this is a big problem.

Is this actually a big problem, or do people who play these games (ie go through 60 dungeons in a row) not care?
They care, but they'll suffer through it anyway. The suffering is made easier by the fact that it is shared by everybody else who is racing you on the ladder for the Paragon levels or whatever you'll be grinding in those dungeons. I suspect many will be propped up by the hope of what the first Season will bring.

Loads of dungeons (over 140), two new item quality tiers, PVP zones with an extraction game mechanic to get rewards, a paragon board system that looks much like PoEs passive skill tree, Helltide zone events, world boss events and and improved bounty system called Whispers of the Dead AND new seasons every 3 months with new gear and events and who knows what.
That's some high grade copium.

- The 140 dungeons won't do you any good, if all of them have the same 3 annoying objectives and all the layouts feel and look the same. Which is what everybody is saying about the dungeons that were playable so far.
- Nobody will care about the PvP. Unless Blizzard puts some really strong rewards behind it, at which point people will complain about being forced into pvp for rewards. Anyone who cares about this type of game mode is already playing The Division 2 or some other pvp focused game.
- The Paragon system might rival PoE's skill tree in theory, but in practice it is much more likely to end up at the same level of complexity as the rest of the character systems currently on display.
- Helltide zone events is going to be make-work chore type of MMO hook gameplay designed not to be fun, but instead give you FOMO for not playing the game daily.
- World Boss events are the same as the above. Go play some GW2 and join a "WB Bus/Train" and see how exciting that shit is after 1 day.
- That leaves the bounty system and the seasons lift the heavy load and I just don't think they'll hit that one out of the park. Maybe by Season 3/4 they might get something exciting going or they'll get put on a new project and only a skeleton crew will remain to maintain the game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
blizzfags probably dumbest people in universe. jootube now offered to me video "asmongold reacts to some other fag's reaction video to diablo 4 beta" os something like this... and thousands of retards watched it...

Jimeh

Educated
I feel like this is a big problem.

Is this actually a big problem, or do people who play these games (ie go through 60 dungeons in a row) not care?
They care, but they'll suffer through it anyway. The suffering is made easier by the fact that it is shared by everybody else who is racing you on the ladder for the Paragon levels or whatever you'll be grinding in those dungeons. I suspect many will be propped up by the hope of what the first Season will bring.

Loads of dungeons (over 140), two new item quality tiers, PVP zones with an extraction game mechanic to get rewards, a paragon board system that looks much like PoEs passive skill tree, Helltide zone events, world boss events and and improved bounty system called Whispers of the Dead AND new seasons every 3 months with new gear and events and who knows what.
That's some high grade copium.

- The 140 dungeons won't do you any good, if all of them have the same 3 annoying objectives and all the layouts feel and look the same. Which is what everybody is saying about the dungeons that were playable so far.
- Nobody will care about the PvP. Unless Blizzard puts some really strong rewards behind it, at which point people will complain about being forced into pvp for rewards. Anyone who cares about this type of game mode is already playing The Division 2 or some other pvp focused game.
- The Paragon system might rival PoE's skill tree in theory, but in practice it is much more likely to end up at the same level of complexity as the rest of the character systems currently on display.
- Helltide zone events is going to be make-work chore type of MMO hook gameplay designed not to be fun, but instead give you FOMO for not playing the game daily.
- World Boss events are the same as the above. Go play some GW2 and join a "WB Bus/Train" and see how exciting that shit is after 1 day.
- That leaves the bounty system and the seasons lift the heavy load and I just don't think they'll hit that one out of the park. Maybe by Season 3/4 they might get something exciting going or they'll get put on a new project and only a skeleton crew will remain to maintain the game.
Maybe you're just a nopeium addict? Let's refine your arguments...

1. Dungeons wont be good because they're not random enough and also you don't like finding "keys".

I'm pretty happy to not waste time getting lost and running into dead ends with the map generation. They're a good length, lots to kill. Certainly don't need a sorc with maphacks to reduce the tedium.

2. No one will care about PVP

Really?

3. The paragon system might not be confusing enough.

Well, that could be a good thing. They have said they'll introduce new boards in new seasons. I think it will be pretty similar. Even PoE is just kinda "get a few things and loads of life" with most the points being the boring in-between paths.

4. Helltides will be a daily chore

This does actually worry me because I hate chores. I quit Lost Ark because I couldn't be fucked doing my daily Chaos Dungeons anymore and the only vertical progression was from weekly raids for gear and chaos dungeons for upgrade materials. OR literally pay to use the auction house since you can't even give your drops to your alts. Worst endgame progression system ever! At least we can be sure that Helltides won't be the only way to get new items. Just another option. Same as the world bosses. It's just something fun to do........

....Oh, shit. Betas back up, I just got into character select. TTYL! :D

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
85 GB download for a demo
and it's just first act.
dafug is with 100gb demo versions? developers should be beaten and humiliated. same shit in bg3.

Game sizes do not always scale linearly with content. In some cases, demos already contain the bulk of the game except for content. This includes music, sounds, graphical assets, movies, etc. All hefty things.

Meanwhile, content is mostly just code, scripting, writing, etc.

You can strip out music and graphics don't don't get played in the demo, but sometimes things aren't organized well enough that devs can just pick and choose. Probably speaks to a lack of planning and general laziness.

Hey, I've been there, done that, but my lazy demo is only 2gb so I'm not concerned.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
85 GB download for a demo
and it's just first act.
dafug is with 100gb demo versions? developers should be beaten and humiliated. same shit in bg3.

Game sizes do not always scale linearly with content. In some cases, demos already contain the bulk of the game except for content. This includes music, sounds, graphical assets, movies, etc. All hefty things.

Meanwhile, content is mostly just code, scripting, writing, etc.

You can strip out music and graphics don't don't get played in the demo, but sometimes things aren't organized well enough that devs can just pick and choose. Probably speaks to a lack of planning and general laziness.

Hey, I've been there, done that, but my lazy demo is only 2gb so I'm not concerned.
Also it might be uncompressed, since its a developer build basically.
The end release will probably be compressed and upscaled for consoles, doubt console plebs want a 500gb game on their limited disks.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'll try it in a couple of hours, but I don't get how the 4 active skills thing works. As a Necromancer, do I need to have a summon skill on my hotbar? Does it take a spell slot?

Fair warning: Even if you get past the queue, you might still be sent into a weird invisible second queue where you just stare at your selected character for a while.
If you've made a druid, you get to look at the average hairy british pub roaming male without a shirt on for a good 10+ minutes.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Great, the game just crashed when I opened the Chapel. Now there's a 144 min. queue lol.

From the little I played so far though, the game seems inoffensively okay-ish, but not particularly gripping. If this doesn't improve drastically, it will be a hard pass.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Consume product and get excited for next product.

Codex: Best game of my generation eh? I'll buy it in three years at 80% off if I don't pirate it.

General consuming populace: Omerhgerd name brand product! I can't wait to watch my favorite streamers and vtubers player it lololol. -spends $500 for the deluxe edition, plays it for two hours, watches streamers for 400 hours-

:smug:

Yosharian

Arcane
I ate pizza and watched some stuff on my 2nd PC while the queue went down, then I made my character and started the game. Windows Firewall automatically blocked the app from accessing the network, and I'd set it to Fullscreen (because my screen saver kept kicking in... OLED, you know), so I had to alt-tab to give the app access.

It crashed.

Now it's a 161 minute queue, yeah not gonna play tonight I think

The opening cinematic was pretty good!

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
He 180'd to shilling Dragonflight not that long ago after a long period of badmouthing wow, so seemingly yes.
Asmonturd dropped two of his boys over a tweetlonger from a whore and over a leaked phone call. Nigga has 0 spine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom