Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
if you want a masterclass in taking your game apart and find out what's wrong with it, employ Kripp

TL;DR: 6/10

He is still uploading Heartstone videos on an almost daily basis ...

for almost ...

Nine fucking years.

Jesus almighty.

:despair:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Yea I enjoy kripp, it's weird seeing him decend into hearthstone for 9 years - when you think about how hardcore and nolife he goes ham on MMORPGs, its just a weird shift.

I guess he doesnt have the time anymore lolw

Zeriel

Arcane
It went from his passion to a dayjob. He's talked about it before; when he got a girlfriend and then a wife, well. More important things in life. I don't blame him. I do find it weird for anyone to still enjoy that content after this long though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think I've seen a single positive word about the UI, even from hardcore blizz shills.
what are their grievances with the UI?

Doesn't seem to utilise space very well, and also seems as though lots of things are unnecessarily hidden away.

Many people suggest it's designed around consoles, but the console UI is apparently even worse.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I always thought PoE was an incline game, but for some reason, I got the impression that it isn't very good just through passively reading posts across the Codex. Can anyone verify?

PoE has a ton of problems and I bitch about it more than I praise it, but it is still easily the best aRPG on the market.
For a new player that wants to spend 500h just learning while playing sure. For people that just want super fun aRPG where they do not think too much but just murder stuff and pickup loot it is not

Which game is better?
For more casual audience Grim Dawn and D2 Remastered. I have not tried Lost Ark and Last Epoch but at least for Last Epoch people say it is fun and more approachable to new players than PoE.

lolno to all them. Last Epoch has the skeleton to be great, but it has far, far too little content right now to even be in the race.

Mazisky

Magister
Finished the beta and it reminded me of Sacred 1 with modern graphics and a more polished narrative.

Open world was a good decision, considering that first act zone alone is huge (way bigger than D2 or D3 act 1) and we have 4 more regions with same size

It feels a bit Ubisoft crap with all the icons and minor stuff to do, but somehow it fits better in a top-down Arpg like this that have repetitive gameplay by design.

I hate that you encounter other players around the world with "BIGPPEDGYLORDXXX98" spamming emotes but they had the decency to not show them during main quests or dungeons at least.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
lolno to all them. Last Epoch has the skeleton to be great, but it has far, far too little content right now to even be in the race.

This is why I hope LE survives the 1.0 launch. I want the devs to have a chance to continue updating and adding to the game.

No ARPG can compete with PoE in terms of content at this point, especially not at launch.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It went from his passion to a dayjob. He's talked about it before; when he got a girlfriend and then a wife, well. More important things in life. I don't blame him. I do find it weird for anyone to still enjoy that content after this long though.
He got enough money by now that he can just not make another Hearthstone video for rest of his life.. unless his wife spends it like crazy because he still lives a nerd life.

ArchAngel

Arcane

This is why I hope LE survives the 1.0 launch. I want the devs to have a chance to continue updating and adding to the game.

No ARPG can compete with PoE in terms of content at this point, especially not at launch.
PoE has too much content at this point. Whenever I get back to new league I usually skip half the content on maps anyways.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

PoE has too much content at this point. Whenever I get back to new league I usually skip half the content on maps anyways.
I also agree PoE is bloated at this point, but you also can't get away from the sheer amount of endgame content it has.

That's the big struggle new live service ARPGs have to get situated. If the base game is good, people have to be patient and give them a chance to develop.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It's not about competing with content, it's about having almost none at all. I loved playing with Last Epoch's systems but even though I really, really liked the build I was playing I got bored early into the endgame because the variety is so incredibly sparse right now.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron

It's not about competing with content, it's about having almost none at all. I loved playing with Last Epoch's systems but even though I really, really liked the build I was playing I got bored early into the endgame because the variety is so incredibly sparse right now.

Hopefully, the expansion of the endgame is a big part of their 0.9 to 1.0 roadmap.

ArchAngel

Arcane

What about content up to endgame? Is it as weak as PoE?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yosharian actually puts it kind of succinctly - besides the graphics which are good, the asset quality and production is actually low. Everything has a "paper" feel to it, from the sound to the animations to the models to music.

The campaign itself is pretty whatever, I'd say current PoE is a bit better but not a lot, whereas past PoE when it was still act 1-5 was worse. But the campaign is still pretty trivial and boring.

Last Epoch is promising because its systems - and especially its itemization and crafting - point towards very deliberate design with developers intensely focused on making fun and balanced systems that solve some of the biggest aRPG headaches. They clearly "get it", so to speak. But the shell around the systems do not support them enough currently.

It's still the aRPG I have most faith in besides PoE though.

Angthoron

Arcane
Myeah, I've felt similarly about LE.

It just doesn't feel very fun to play. Sure, it's better than painting squares in a spreadsheet, but it's just very, very bland, and getting over the early game is an even bigger chore than getting through Act 1 in PoE (and yeah, I know, just run through the acts and throw your body at the bosses, I know, I know)

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
First 50 levels are skills we've seen. Next levels after that are Paragon levels, which we haven't seen.
From leaked shit, it looks like you will pick various skill maps, and combine them? Like dominos, combine a few small trees and pick skills from them.
But its impossible to say how good or fun it will be, since its not in the beta.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
most people dont give a shit about poes complexity, its one of the things that ppl DONT want.

Presentation is what matters. D4 got that in spades.

Does combat feel good?
Are the graphics good?
Are the SOUND design good?
Is the artstyle good?
Is the UI Good?
Is the game responsive?
Do the skills feel great and cool?
is the story good?
is the endgame fulfilling?

D4 checks alot of those boxes. PoE does not.

PoE is a spreadsheet simulator for aspergers autists/ADHD people, with graphics tacked on for a GUI lol.
Sure its got complexity, everything else sucks big fat dick up the ass

You can't tell whats what half the time with so much pixel dogshit on the screen and the ADHD speed pacing of the game, let alone the overly complex "builds" and grindy itemization.

ArchAngel

Arcane
First 50 levels are skills we've seen. Next levels after that are Paragon levels, which we haven't seen.
From leaked shit, it looks like you will pick various skill maps, and combine them? Like dominos, combine a few small trees and pick skills from them.
But its impossible to say how good or fun it will be, since its not in the beta.
I was not asking about D4, we are no longer talking about this 70E/$ crap.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Is the UI Good?
Items with 5 attributes have a SCROLL BAR for you to see all their stats. You hover the item, wait a bit, hover the text box, and scroll down to read the item. In a game where you need to loot, read, and decide what's trash every few minutes.

Edit: This is now the general ARPG thread.
Oh, I'm responding as if we are talking about D4. Haven't read the last couple of pages.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is the UI Good?
Items with 5 attributes have a SCROLL BAR for you to see all their stats. You hover the item, wait a bit, hover the text box, and scroll down to read the item. In a game where you need to loot, read, and decide what's trash every few minutes.

Edit: This is now the general ARPG thread.
Oh, I'm responding as if we are talking about D4. Haven't read the last couple of pages.
Right the UI is trash, I agree. and hopefully they fix it. it's one of the few things fixable and bad things in D4.

Itemization and endgame is yet to be seen.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
I can't understand how they fucked the UI up so badly.

They've got literal decades of good UI design to draw inspiration from at this point.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
They've got literal decades of good UI design to draw inspiration from at this point.
1. Its releasing on consoles. Meaning the text has to be readable on your TV, from your couch 2-3 meters away.
2. Its a Diablo game. Meaning there will be mucho texto everywhere, that has to be read all the time at a glance.
These are the two squares they have to fit in the triangle hole.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
1. Its releasing on consoles. Meaning the text has to be readable on your TV, from your couch 2-3 meters away.
2. Its a Diablo game. Meaning there will be mucho texto everywhere, that has to be read all the time at a glance.
These are the two squares they have to fit in the triangle hole.

Console version apparently has an even worse UI, so UI unification doesn't seem to be the cause.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

He was asking about LE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom