Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Camel

Scholar
Melee builds are enjoyable if you have high T

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-indiana-jones.gif

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Why even take on the design headache to begin with though? It's not like there's a rule saying that aRPGs must involve name-locking enemies with swords
Melee builds are enjoyable if you have high T
Melee builds have theoretically higher DPS, and practically lower DPS, because you aren't attacking as often or as reliable.
Not even talking about damage avoidance, which is obviously harder for melee.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Krip was one of the best D3 players, being the world first person to beat some boss on some difficulty level in D3 (IDFK I was twelve when the game came out). He has also played a ton of PoE.

He gave the game a 6/10 as it is now.

Good video, thank you for posting it. I unsubbed from Kripp's channel, because it's mostly about Hearthstone, so I often miss out on these gems.

tl;dw:
- Kripp says it's not a sponsored vid and the opinions he'll express might burn some bridges
- Kripp re-tells his history with the D1-D3 days (very cozy)
- Kripp gives a brief explanation of his 6/10 rating
- Kripp shows off his Hydra Sorc build. As per usual for Kripp it is a very well put together build that is extremely effective. Plays like a totem build in PoE.
- graphics are the area D4 excells at the most
- combat feels crisp
- restrictive skill bar sucks major balls (consoles cucking PC as per usual)
- legendary imprinting system is very good
- Kripp explains how the item system is deeper than most people think
- Kripp thinks that the Paragon system might be very complex and could rival PoE's passive tree in terms of customization
- gold feels like a very valuable resource
- UI is garbage, worst aspect of the game
- game costs way too much
- Kripp doesn't believe Blizzard's promise of "cosmetic only" micro-transactions
- xp potions give only 5% (if I were Blizzard, I would intentionally keep this number low during Beta in order to lull people into a false sense of security, only to jack it up high on launch)
- Blizzard has a high incentive to pump their profitability numbers with D4 in order to get a good price for the acquisition by Microsoft. Kripp thinks they'll booty blast your wallets with this game.
- dungeon mechanics are weak
- Kripp is very concerned about end-game if the dungeons are the main content
- "kill all monsters in the area" aids explained in detail
- back-tracking multiple times per dungeon is the usual case (can you even use mounts inside dungeons?)
- Bosses are heavily re-used throughout the game (might be just in the Beta COPIUM)
- monster abilities are not interesting
- Melee feels like the entire game was designed around ranged characters and the melee classes were added in as an afterthought
- Barbarian class is bad
- Barbarian class might have much better scaling due to his arsenal system in late end-game (COPIUMTRUCK)
- nothing in the marketing suggests that this game is going to have interesting challenges to compete "world 1st" for on launch
- no "grace period" makes Hardcore significantly more aids
- other people in your instance can just drag monsters to the dungeon entrance/exit to grief you (KEKW)
- Kripp thinks that the game won't be very stable during the first week of launch to realistically attempt a Hardcore playthrough
- Kripp won't start on Hardcore, but might play it in the future
- balance in general feels not finely tuned
- Kripp thinks the community will quickly identify builds that are 100 times more effective than the average
- World Bosses are pretty epic and cool (unless you're on a Barb lmao)
- Kripp thinks World Bosses will force people into a "Looking For Raid" system
- World Bosses most likely won't be aspirational content, due to 2/3 of the group being random (max party size is 4, max instance size is 12)
- a lot of mechanics suffer from the shared overworld always online system
- level 3 characters feels stronger in low level zones than level 40 characters due to how the scaling works
- Kripp thinks the scaling system is too complex for them to adequately change it and too core to be scrapped
- leveling up makes your character weaker
- one point on the skill tree is at most 10% damage for your character, while monsters gain more than 10% hp per level
- Kripp hates the scaling system
- itemlevel system makes itemization too simple
- the Overpower mechanic is very hidden, confusing and unintuitive, yet very powerful
- itempower mechanic will force you to re-find the same items in order to keep up
- pvp is probably going to be an unbalanced mess
- there is a zone of forced pvp in the overworld, have fun
- end-game loop is still unknown and difficult to predict
- Kripp thinks based on how the beta looks, the systems won't be finely balanced in time for launch and the game won't feel great as a result (but possibly great in season 2 or 3)

IMO it was a great vid and I would recommend watching it in full for anybody who seriously considers playing D4.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
On the topic of "Barbarian sucks":

For context: this is Alkaizer. He's like the top3-4 PoE player in the world, so your mileage may vary.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
- level 3 characters feels stronger in low level zones than level 40 characters due to how the scaling works
- Kripp thinks the scaling system is too complex for them to adequately change it and too core to be scrapped
- one point on the skill tree is at most 10% damage for your character, while monsters gain more than 10% hp per level

Saved me a pre-order.
Thanks.

Time to point and laugh at the few blizzdrones left buzzing around the cope hive.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected

Saved me a pre-order.
Thanks.

Time to point and laugh at the few blizzdrones left buzzing around the cope hive.
These are so appallingly bad that you wonder if the developers even played the first two Diablo games.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Saved me a pre-order.
Thanks.

These are so appallingly bad that you wonder if the developers even played the first two Diablo games.

This comes right out of the World of Warcraft playbook.

It's so that players can "choose where to play" and "play with their friends" ..

Any semblance of progressing through a world or sense of self-progression / catching up to friends talking about cool new areas you haven't seen yet / designing extra dangerous areas vs safer areas / etc - neutered.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
- UI is garbage, worst aspect of the game

I don't think I've seen a single positive word about the UI, even from hardcore blizz shills. Seems like blizz have really fucked up here.

I hate most of what I've seen so far and the UI is the least of my worries. It seems functional.

Try the fact that they managed to implement a version of Force Move that is somehow worse than LC attack.

I'm going to have to watch the video Kjaska summarized, because to me the skill system seems hopelessly outdated and incredibly simplistic. How Kripp managed to find complexity in it I have no idea, but I'll reserve judgment. I don't love Kripp but he is decent at building (not nearly as great as the memes claim, though). Skill tree has also been the main worry of people like and Ziz and Ziggy, along with the Dungeons, which also look like complete ass.

But my biggest worry is that I see nothing in the videos that indicate that this game's combat is in any way, shape or form different from Diablo 3's. You have four buttons mainly for CD-skills, a generator and a spender. This is the exact combination of ingredients that made Diablo 3's combat experience so awful and samey. The Barbarian has a Warcry that allows him to generate a bit more resources on a huge cooldown. That is the least exciting skill I ever heard of. I've seen few people point out the similarities to D3 even though everyone hates D3 combat. D4 has distanced itself from its predecessor in aesthetics, tone, structure, partly itemization, but the meat and potatoes of actually clicking your keyboard looks eeriely similar.

Hoping for the Paragon-system to save the day seems like a massive cope, but I understand it. It is the last hope for complexity at this point.

What I do like? I think the open world might be a secret MVP. Nothing was wrong with Lost Ark's concept, just the execution, and Diablo 4 looks like it could execute it better. I like the tone very much, I like the aesthetics well enough. But that's about it.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like a ton of wasted potential to be honest. I played PoE and due to my shitty computer I was never really able to stick with the game long enough to get to maps. That being said, watching all this Diablo 4 content just made me reinstall PoE and look forward to when I will eventually try to get into it again (way too addicted to OSRS atm). As zoom zoom™ as PoE has become, the abilities just seem way cooler than anything Diablo 4 has to offer. That Ziggy video Kjaska posted featured some of the most boring and banal Rogue abilities ever, especially when contrasted with PoE. I always thought PoE was an incline game, but for some reason, I got the impression that it isn't very good just through passively reading posts across the Codex. Can anyone verify?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Looks like a ton of wasted potential to be honest. I played PoE and due to my shitty computer I was never really able to stick with the game long enough to get to maps. That being said, watching all this Diablo 4 content just made me reinstall PoE and look forward to when I will eventually try to get into it again (way too addicted to OSRS atm). As zoom zoom™ as PoE has become, the abilities just seem way cooler than anything Diablo 4 has to offer. That Ziggy video Kjaska posted featured some of the most boring and banal Rogue abilities ever, especially when contrasted with PoE. I always thought PoE was an incline game, but for some reason, I got the impression that it isn't very good just through passively reading posts across the Codex. Can anyone verify?

The most depressing part is that the rogue looks like it might actually be the most fun to play of the three classes, even though he basically has 3/4 generators that feel nearly identical. Barbarian looks utter ass.

Zeriel

Arcane
So is this better than 3 or what?
Man, Blizzard will need to try really, really hard to beat Tyrael striking Deckard Kain like a precision munition, somehow Deckard Kain survives that then is killed by a random faerie then Tyrael becomes a bald black dude because he is on his teenager rebelious phase.

He just wanted to be able to say NIGGER without consequence. Truly the most based angel of them all.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I always thought PoE was an incline game, but for some reason, I got the impression that it isn't very good just through passively reading posts across the Codex. Can anyone verify?
If you're a new player I wouldn't concern myself with anything you read on the forums right now. While by no means perfect, the game has a lot to offer a new player and the community has developed tools to ease you into it. If you're playing OSRS, it should be a breeze. Many of the criticisms apply to veteran players only, especially veterans who were into the gigazoom. Speaking of which, the top end of the zooming has been significantly reigned it. While it's still possible to clear very fast, you no longer have the ability to clear 25% of the map on touching a monster, like you once used to.

Fuck, just look at Grunker for example. He wants to stick to Righteous Fire. And he's not alone in this regard. Many people nowadays will trade clear speed for comfy and Righteous Fire is very difficult to beat in that area.

In another instance of this: I know a girl who got her boyfriend into PoE recently. This league they played for real for the first time. He ran Righteous Fire and she ran Summon Raging Spirits. Both builds that aren't known for their clear speed. They made a lot of bank, had tons of fun and had a bunch of "firsts".

Zeriel

Arcane

The thing to remember about PoE criticism is that when people shit talk it, they are doing so from the perspective of having already played it for hundreds of hours, seen its flaws and the way it won't ever change because that's part of the business model/the company's philosophy, and just moved on. However, in most cases, people already got TONS of entertainment from it, so it's not to say it's a terrible game or anything, it's just that after so long you tend to focus on the negatives.

Of course there are some people who bounce off it completely from the beginning, but I find they are very rare.

The constant churn of seasonal content/bloat turns a lot of people off in the long term, so I think a lot of players are waiting for the "refresh' of PoE 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom