Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

racofer

Thread Incliner
Deckard Kain survives that then is killed by a random faerie

One of Blizzards oldest and most iconic characters being killed by a faggy demon dressed in drag.

There's a metaphor for Blizzard in there somewhere.
Possibly the last sane Blizzard developer's desperate subliminal cry for help, hidden from the (((all seeing eye))).

scytheavatar

Scholar
I always thought PoE was an incline game, but for some reason, I got the impression that it isn't very good just through passively reading posts across the Codex. Can anyone verify?
If you're a new player I wouldn't concern myself with anything you read on the forums right now. While by no means perfect, the game has a lot to offer a new player and the community has developed tools to ease you into it. If you're playing OSRS, it should be a breeze. Many of the criticisms apply to veteran players only, especially veterans who were into the gigazoom. Speaking of which, the top end of the zooming has been significantly reigned it. While it's still possible to clear very fast, you no longer have the ability to clear 25% of the map on touching a monster, like you once used to.

Fuck, just look at Grunker for example. He wants to stick to Righteous Fire. And he's not alone in this regard. Many people nowadays will trade clear speed for comfy and Righteous Fire is very difficult to beat in that area.

In another instance of this: I know a girl who got her boyfriend into PoE recently. This league they played for real for the first time. He ran Righteous Fire and she ran Summon Raging Spirits. Both builds that aren't known for their clear speed. They made a lot of bank, had tons of fun and had a bunch of "firsts".

POE is from day one absolute shit and the worst ARPG out there. In terms of the basics which is the controls, itemization, systems (how stuns work in that game absolutely boggles the mind), atmosphere........... even decades old Diablo 2 absolutely shits on it. Just compare how much easier it is to figure if the item on the ground is worth something in Diablo 2 to that of POE and it should be obvious which game is better. Heck even picking up items feel like swimming in POE, which is why the game strongly encourages you to pick up as little items on the ground as possible.

That said for a long period the POE devs has been the golden standard for competent devs and they have done a remarkable job at constantly updating their games and giving players reasons to come back. But they are struck with their "feel the weight of picking up items" philosophy for so long and unwilling to change, that it is inevitable that the game will crash and burn. Don't expect the game to improve with POE 2 cause the devs are struck in the same trap that Blizzard felt into with Overwatch 2, it seems they genuinely think they are changing the game massively when in the end everything looks and feels the same.

Yosharian

Arcane
A lot of what Kripp said was surprisingly positive. The stuff that was very negative was just....stupid design mistakes. Blizzard should know better

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Does D4 have a ton of difficulty options like D3 did? Because scaling was a non-issue in D3 where you can finetune your difficulty, but it would be dumb to just copy it into a game where you are stuck with just 1 option (at least at the start). I'm guessing "no" given the mmo-lite elements.

ind33d

Learned
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Krip was one of the best D3 players, being the world first person to beat some boss on some difficulty level in D3 (IDFK I was twelve when the game came out). He has also played a ton of PoE.

He gave the game a 6/10 as it is now.

holy shit he's still alive? next you'll tell me t2darlantan is back. I miss that fat bastard like you wouldn't believe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAZpEGVCdbc

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- Kripp thinks that the Paragon system might be very complex and could rival PoE's passive tree in terms of customization

I think he is on high copium about the paragon system. He don't believe the data mined and leaked paragon tables and still think that they will give a lot of depth. The real thing is 90% of the tiles give +5 stats and there is 1 big tile in the center that modifies certain skill or class mechanic. It's actually impressively bland and mediocre.

http://www.vhpg.com/diablo-4-paragon-boards/

I'm actually shocked how few people criticize the level scaling. The mmo rotted brains that flock to all Bizzard trash I understand can't comprehend simple game design, but there is top of aRPG veterans that even say they like D4's scaling.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
He was talking about the afixes with copium not paragon. When he mentioned PoE complexity at least.

The only thing that really matters is if Blizz will keep adding (real) content or not.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
He was talking about the afixes with copium not paragon. When he mentioned PoE complexity at least.

The thing about paragon tablets was not in the video, in his stream he talked more about that and what he thinks the system is. Problem is that he is wrong about it unless Blizzard totally revamp it in the next 2 months.

Rephyrnomicon

Novice
it really says nothing much if a low level demo takes 2-3x hits to kill a monster instead of 1x in a finished game at higher levels
I would say it sounds much like D1 and D2. But that single factor does not a full experience make.

PoE takes multiple hits at low levels to kill stuff too. "Clear speed meta" is, like all metas, a meta for endgame. Basically, as someone else alluded to, Perkel is full of shit.

You can clear an entire screen of enemies quickly in POE long before end game mapping.
in d4 too. seen some fag running with hydra and everything just dies
It's me, I'm that fag.

Fire sorc with hydras were broken in the beta.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I always thought PoE was an incline game, but for some reason, I got the impression that it isn't very good just through passively reading posts across the Codex. Can anyone verify?

PoE has a ton of problems and I bitch about it more than I praise it, but it is still easily the best aRPG on the market.

ArchAngel

Arcane

PoE has a ton of problems and I bitch about it more than I praise it, but it is still easily the best aRPG on the market.
For a new player that wants to spend 500h just learning while playing sure. For people that just want super fun aRPG where they do not think too much but just murder stuff and pickup loot it is not

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

For a new player that wants to spend 500h just learning while playing sure. For people that just want super fun aRPG where they do not think too much but just murder stuff and pickup loot it is not

Which game is better?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The only thing that really matters is if Blizz will keep adding (real) content or not.

What do you mean?!
Didn't you see the 6 month battle pass bonus with SUPER GOBLIN POTIONS.. now you and your friends can level 12% faster!!!

And because Blizzard cares about inclusiveness, Blizzard would proudly like to sellibrate LGBTQ+++ month with a pink treasure goblin rocket mount that you can mount inside your anus - fight the hordes of hell with the ~ ~ ~ power of the rainbow ~ ~ ~ only 24.99 (5% of proceeds will be donated as a tax write off to some organization you never heard of but bill in accounting has a friend that works there)

Perkel

Arcane
One of the biggest problems with melee is that there are many more enemy abilities you need to be wary of compared to when you're playing ranged. Both from a balance perspective and world-building perspective, it would be better if enemies had more abilities against ranged characters like they do with melee characters.

Well they should nerf ranged then. Because from my experience with game playing as barb was fantastic. Finally hard arpg to play if you pick "veteran" at start.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Which game is better?
For more casual audience Grim Dawn and D2 Remastered. I have not tried Lost Ark and Last Epoch but at least for Last Epoch people say it is fun and more approachable to new players than PoE.

Zeriel

Arcane

I'm not sure if I'd agree with that. There are multiple ones that do certain things the best (or the best we've seen so far), I wouldn't put PoE as the best at everything. Grim Dawn for example probably has the best offline experience (and PoE automatically loses here), Last Epoch has unique aspects to its campaign and a superior SSF experience, etc. PoE is a really fun game but definitely has its drawbacks, and not even in a "I'm going to criticize it for bloat" way, but a "It's not even trying to do this thing that Grim Dawn or Last Epoch is trying to do" way.

abija

Prophet

PoE is not that hard. You can finish campaign with early gems just using default archetypes.

ArchAngel

Arcane

PoE is not that hard. You can finish campaign with early gems just using default archetypes.
I never said it was during the campaign. But also nothing interesting happens during the campaign.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
if you want a masterclass in taking your game apart and find out what's wrong with it, employ Kripp

TL;DR: 6/10

Jimeh

Educated
I got the three beta classes to 25. It's a good game.

Melee is definitely harder to get going than range, especially sorc who can get Chain Lightning at level 3 and just annihilate everything for the rest of the game, but once you have enough levels to start getting into the defense skills they become much more viable and then with a few legendary aspects they become awesome.

As a rogue aiming at melee I'd probably start off using Rapid Fire bow skill until you get the defense orbs skill and some agility skills like Shadowstep and Dash and some aspects to improve Twisting Blades or Flurry then swap to melee at minimum level 15 when you get the second class specialty.

Barb should make good use of the Thorns elixir from the alchemist and try to keep more mobile by relying on bleeding damage. You can tell if an enemy has enough bleed to kill him because their health bar goes dark red. Once you see they're going to die don't hang around and take more damage - just move on to the next guy. Once you get to the defensive skills and get the thorns passive he snowballs fast and can facetank any boss in the beta with no trouble.

Sorc isn't too bad at close range, either. I like his "melee" basic spell the best, Arc Lash, and there's a perk for chain lightning that lets bounces off you gain 25% more damage (good single target or aoe spell) and he gets some fantastic defensive skills like fire shield for 3 sec invul and immolate. You can just teleport into a group, drop a frost nova, spam some spells then use a shield when frozen wears off.

There's lots of good options and OP builds to find on all the classes. I kinda hope Bliz doesn't nerf all the broken builds too much and ruin all the fun. :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom