Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ArchAngel

Arcane
Got around to playing it. Game is semi decent for a couple of play throughs maybe. Not nearly as snappy as D3, price is extortion, and it needs a 6 month delay, otherwise it'll be a fucked up launch all over again.

The mmo shit can get 'tae fuck, adds literally nothing.
I find it cool. For example I was doing one of the special events in the map (you can recognize it as a redish circle when you get close) and it was not going well for me. Suddenly amount of enemies dropped and I finish those around me and move to next screen and I see a sorceress player joined this event and cleared enemy reinforcements..

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
World boss! Lets goooooo, we got this easy!
TDOIe8r.png

7FkPwmR.png

based on a 4chan post

JDR13

Arcane
Anyone else constantly running into invisible barriers because of areas not loading?
If you mean the ones where you get sent back a few seconds, yeah. I thought it was my internet/pc but apparently a lot of people are getting that. Happens especially in towns.
I wasn't getting sent back for a few seconds, I was hitting a wall where I couldn't go any further when I should have been able to.

Maybe it was just a temporary issue. They did say they were working on something today.

sosmoflux

Educated
Tried to play some more today.
Constant memory crashes. Stuck in main menus. Game freezing for 15 seconds for no reason. Laggy as anything.
Yeah guys making this always-online, super zoomed in, and boring af was a really great move. Blizzard's back baby.

Rhobar121

Scholar
We'll see how scaling works in the long run. For the few hours I played, I didn't really feel the negatives of scaling.
At level 5 I had a normal mob for 1-2 hits and at level 20 it was identical.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Question for those who have had problems with crashing due to memory leaks, how much ram do you have?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played this thing all day. I hadn't intended to, I lost track of the time. Despite that, I'm torn on it. It feels well made but completely soulless.

I didn't have any issues with crashing or anything like that, I eventually logged out after trying all the character classes because I have stuff I put off because I played so long, but I was also bored, which hasn't normally been an issue with Diablo games for me.

I did have issues with rubber banding, "invisible walls" when trying to leave town, etc. and running into far more people than I'd like even while just running around which sometimes led to MMO situations like a guy running around ahead of you killing everything so there's nothing for you, so I turn around and go another way only to see different people doing it that way, etc.

I expect that the net code issues will get cleaned up because it's one of the areas Blizzard tends to be very good at, along with their art and animation teams, but it's going to be super gay if you can't have some sort of option to limit the amount of dickbags you have roaming around your game.

The game mostly reminded me of Gauntlet but with cutscenes (you can skip them and conversations, for the most part, so that's good), since the loot felt meh, progression felt meh, stats felt pointless and RPG mechanics felt nil. There's no point to exploration that I found because although there are dungeons that have account unlocks for various classes (which is good), they're easy to find and once you're in there, there's no point in trying to fully explore unless you hit a dead end because everything level scales, all loot is randomized, leveling is pointless, etc. You basically just keep running in a line zapping stuff.

The good stuff is almost all on the presentation side of things. Art, voice acting, cinematics, etc. are all top notch, as you'd expect from Blizz.

Surprisingly, the level progression is nice in the sense that you can make meaningful build decisions early on and have a build start to come online early on as you fill out your first few skills.

Unsurprisingly, classes have become somewhat homogenized with everyone having a mish mash of ranged/melee and ST/AOE decisions to make and then you're done. Your gear are just stat sticks a la D3 and although you might be running around with a bunch of weapons, you don't actually use any of them unless you train the appropriate attack skill. Have a bow on your back? You'll never use it if you're a melee guy, even to plink. Respec to be a bow guy? Well, now your sword is basically a strangely placed belt buckle. I hate that shit.

Anyway, the game might be worth checking out on sale after the GOTYEY edition comes out with paladin and whatever other classes they're sitting on for expacks. 100+ bucks out of the gate? You have to be out of your mind.

Beyond that, they're also clearly advertising that there are going to be battle passes and shit like that on top of the AAA price of entry, and who knows what other ways they'll look to siphon your cash.

It's a wait and see from me, though that's a step up from my previous opinion of "fuck this game and company forever."

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
and running into far more people than I'd like even while just running around which sometimes led to MMO situations like a guy running around ahead of you killing everything so there's nothing for you, so I turn around and go another way only to see different people doing it that way, etc.

lmao.. An industry leader in over-designing a system that requires insane amounts of technical & networking skill, to produce a feature that is pants-on-head retarded.

Tigranes

Arcane
Tried a bit, thought it could be OK, but noticed the level scaling.

I might be wrong, but it looks like you are no longer actually playing the same game when you play with your friends. You aren't even fighting the same enemies. You fight a level 20 'version' of the enemy while your level 5 friend fights the level 5 'version'. You do 100 damage and they do 20 but it knocks off the HP bar all the same.

It is astounding how they've innovated things to be even worse than ever (or are new ARPGs all doing it these days?) - now not only is there no sense of progression, you are like a pair of ghosts who descend on downtown only to realise you can't eat or fuck or touch anything. There's no point crowing that you've levelled up or even found an amazing item, because who cares? You aren't actually doing anything together anymore. Your friend didn't die because he's 5 levels behind and came along for the ride, he died essentially playing his own alternate universe.

The irony being that they keep wanting to make it an MMO with visible randos and shared events - but in reality this isn't a multiplayer game, it's a game almost tailored to tell you that none of this is even slightly real even by the standards of a video game.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I don't really understand what they were going for with this game. It's some zoomer mmo-lite game, but is also dark and trying to be a return to Diablo's roots and it fails at both. An easy spammy action mmo can never possibly be atmospheric like the early Diablo's were, and it feels a lot less punchy and satisfying than other action rpgs. It seems they're putting more focus on the story but it has amateur presentation due to cutscenes zooming in on models and textures that aren't meant to be seen up close, and bad writing. If this was a free game I'd say it's alright, but it's 90 dollars. There's no reason to ever play it over Path of Exile or Lost Ark.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I found it more boring to watch than d1 people switched to during que. As for artistry, satanic and dark doesn't mean it has to look like grey Skyrim.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm still baffled by the scaling. Why is this game an MMO? Isn't one of the most important things in MMOs grouping to beat an encounter that can't be done solo? Where are the dungeons that need more than one player to beat? With the scaling you are left with just randos running around without providing anything, even the limit is 12 people in a zone. Pure retardation.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I won't be touching this until they have a very highly fleshed out end game that is far better than D3's end game was. D3 felt more like an arcade game than an RPG of any sort. I wont bother with any betas or even the full game at launch. I will wait several months and see what people's opinions are then.

Softgels

Scholar
If it was cheaper I'd buy it to play while I wait for Starfield, but for $70?, no thanks.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
and running into far more people than I'd like even while just running around which sometimes led to MMO situations like a guy running around ahead of you killing everything so there's nothing for you, so I turn around and go another way only to see different people doing it that way, etc.

lmao.. An industry leader in over-designing a system that requires insane amounts of technical & networking skill, to produce a feature that is pants-on-head retarded.

Its sole reason for existing is to show/sell battle pass and shop cosmetics.

Yes, their entire business model is based on FOMO and whales. It's in all respects a mobile game.

I despise the log in every day shit, the battle passes, the little obnoxious bars filling up, the infinitesimal pavlovian shit drip that's fueling this garbage. I hate the very existence of this so-called game. I hate people in this very forum saying "oh well, I only have to wait an hour in queue to log in to play a Diablo game, it's alright". Fuck everything about this industry, from the mongoloids making these shitty products to their enablers, the consoomers.

Reinhardt

Arcane
We'll see how scaling works in the long run. For the few hours I played, I didn't really feel the negatives of scaling.
At level 5 I had a normal mob for 1-2 hits and at level 20 it was identical.
and best part - it was same mob.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh btw on maxed settings I had 24-28gb of ram usage and 12gb vram (my cards max, might even use more lmao). I know its a beta, but still... Probably some kind of memory leak.

Edit: Probably why people are experiecing so much stuttering now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
downloaded short version in the night and played and tried sorceress and barbarian. Perkel i'm spitting in your lying eyes. MANY HARD AND TACTICOOL! you just grab smol pew-pew at lvl 2 and then bigger pew-pew 2 levels later and you are set. went chain lightning sorc and spin to win barb.

also lol at ENDGAME! DUNGEONS! cleared 5 dungeons with sorceress at random and 3 of them had SAME boss - green ghost thingy. 3 of 5. DIVERSE! also met two butchers during those 5 dungeons. at least he hits hard, so you sort of have to run as sorc. barb would probably just spin in his face.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
downloaded short version in the night and played and tried sorceress and barbarian. Perkel i'm spitting in your lying eyes. MANY HARD AND TACTICOOL! you just grab smol pew-pew at lvl 2 and then bigger pew-pew 2 levels later and you are set. went chain lightning sorc and spin to win barb.

also lol at ENDGAME! DUNGEONS! cleared 5 dungeons with sorceress at random and 3 of them had SAME boss - green ghost thingy. 3 of 5. DIVERSE! also met two butchers during those 5 dungeons. at least he hits hard, so you sort of have to run as sorc. barb would probably just spin in his face.

Try it on necro. That shit is autopilot. Skeletons dogpile everything, you hold your attack, your attack, the skellies' attacks, and the things you kill all generate corpses... then spam corpse explosion. Everything dies.

The power of the classes from my experience was basically: Necromancer>>>>>>>>>>Sorc >> Druid >> Barbarian >= Rogue.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
The power of the classes from my experience was basically: Necromancer>>>>>>>>>>Sorc >> Druid >> Barbarian >= Rogue.
Regardless of the failures of D4 they got this power ranking right and it should be this way for every RPG

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom