Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Yosharian

Arcane
I entered a Cellar area or something and it said something like "There's usually a variety of content in Cellars".
What the actual fuck. Immersion killshot.
This is true, annoying as fuck

Renfri

Cipher
After trying this, my conclusion is that I will buy Diablo 4 from sale at some point in the future. It's just ok.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I played a few hours yesterday (level 20) and to be honest the game is pretty good for 50 euros, but totally not worth 70.
Strangely yesterday beta was pretty stable and I didn't get dc even once.
As long as there were no other players around the game ran smoothly. The moment any player appeared in the area, the game was barely playable with constant teleports.
Moving around the cities was a torture. Technically it's pretty good, fps drops happened almost exclusively during transitioning between larger locations, which is annoying but bearable.
Blizzard for the heck could you finally start placing servers in europe during the betas?

The necromancer is of course as broken as you'd expect to the point where you can practically be afk and your minions kill everything for you.
I'm not sure who designed the corpse explosion, but it's obvious they didn't even care about balancing. Powerful AOE with no CD and no resource costs.

Lagi

Augur
Im a filthy causal, i play it on Veteran and game is still very easy, to the point i was playing it naked, just with stick to use skills, till i reach the mothers boss, which i cannot beat in her 3rd iteration. Seems like the vulnerability debuffs stuck on me and Im getting one shot. I was underlevel, underequipped or my skills just suck (or maybe there is some obvious gimmick that i didnt figure out). Didnt have too much gear to elevate the resistances (im not even sure which one is responsible for this blood debuff - "shadow"?), im not interested in back tracking and grinding either... so i think i will drop Diablo4 here.
CTG3l2y.png

nice potion mechanic - its not overshadow the main combat on screen. My fav H&S diablo1 tchernobog is basically a potion drinking game.
fortify HP layer - thats add little extra managment to red ball
character can freeze
dashing with space, make the game more dynamic. with dodging projectiles, or reaching supporting monsters
graphic is superb, lots of details, like wounds on character if you dont wear anything. Location are amazing. Animations on point, no supersonic anime speed things, my druid is waving his paws in bear form in slow/impactful manner.
setting is good, a bit of multiculti mixing but i like it. I enjoy the overall ambient of the game... much diablo1 vibe.
i didnt follow the plot at all - but for the moment i though i will be the bad guy and game would be about extermination of villagers, which was nice
knock back./down mechanic is fantastic. Everything is in motion.
pacing of the game is good, frequence of monster appearing and item to pickup
tech tree is linear - D2 is still a king here. unless you into PoE autism
game handheld you everywhere with yellow markers, which spoil the exploration

If not for the difficulty which is non existing - i dont feel once any tension, then this could be a good game. Maybe if I could turn off monsters HP bars, then it would be a bigger challange.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Im a filthy causal, i play it on Veteran and game is still very easy, to the point i was playing it naked, just with stick to use skills, till i reach the mothers boss, which i cannot beat in her 3rd iteration. Seems like the vulnerability debuffs stuck on me and Im getting one shot. I was underlevel, underequipped or my skills just suck (or maybe there is some obvious gimmick that i didnt figure out). Didnt have too much gear to elevate the resistances (im not even sure which one is responsible for this blood debuff - "shadow"?), im not interested in back tracking and grinding either... so i think i will drop Diablo4 here.
CTG3l2y.png

nice potion mechanic - its not overshadow the main combat on screen. My fav H&S diablo1 tchernobog is basically a potion drinking game.
fortify HP layer - thats add little extra managment to red ball
character can freeze
dashing with space, make the game more dynamic. with dodging projectiles, or reaching supporting monsters
graphic is superb, lots of details, like wounds on character if you dont wear anything. Location are amazing. Animations on point, no supersonic anime speed things, my druid is waving his paws in bear form in slow/impactful manner.
setting is good, a bit of multiculti mixing but i like it. I enjoy the overall ambient of the game... much diablo1 vibe.
i didnt follow the plot at all - but for the moment i though i will be the bad guy and game would be about extermination of villagers, which was nice
knock back./down mechanic is fantastic. Everything is in motion.
pacing of the game is good, frequence of monster appearing and item to pickup
tech tree is linear - D2 is still a king here. unless you into PoE autism
game handheld you everywhere with yellow markers, which spoil the exploration

If not for the difficulty which is non existing - i dont feel once any tension, then this could be a good game. Maybe if I could turn off monsters HP bars, then it would be a bigger challange.
Difficulty is weird for 95% of the game you cut through enemies without any problems (one or rarely two shot) suddenly you come across a boss that for some reason hits 10x harder than everything else and stuns you every few seconds.
At least one additional difficulty level from 1-50 would be nice.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Game runs like shit with constant stuttering and rubber banding. It's pretty much unplayable in this state. Other than that it's literally just Diablo 3 under the hood. Oh well, wasn't really in a hurry to play it anyway and now I may never get it at all. This beta does not impress me.

Yosharian

Arcane
I am playing this morning without any queues whatsoever, last night it was horrendous though. I'll see what it's like this evening.

Hobknobling

Learned
it's non-stop stutter whenever the game is loading any assets

The game is poorly coded. I saw Windows busy cursor several times which proves that the main thread that should be processing input events as fast as possible is busy doing some heavy work.
Funny considering how old Blizzard was laser-focused on making things like this work correctly:

https://www.raphkoster.com/2006/09/06/agc-rob-pardos-keynote/
Control is king. Game control is taken for granted a lot of times. I remember on Warcraft 3 I could feel a little bit of lag on the mouse cursor, and I kept saying it to the programmer, but he kept saying he couldn’t see anything wrong. Finally he coded in a hardware cursor so we could run both cursors at the same time, and lo and behold there were three frames of lag. And that matters, it’s important. People will leave over that, but you’ll never know that is the reason.

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
Difficulty is weird for 95% of the game you cut through enemies without any problems (one or rarely two shot) suddenly you come across a boss that for some reason hits 10x harder than everything else and stuns you every few seconds.
Maybe you should come back after you level more... oh wait

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
>level up
>monsters do 10% more damage, and have 10% more health
>half the time you only get +10% damage to one skill
>takes time to get better items, if you even manage
>leveling up literally makes you weaker

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While you losers play this shit, I'm over here clicking the same two squares over and over again for over ten hours straight so I can get some numbers to go up on my screen. D4 is already copying loads of shit from Lost Ark to make itself more MMO-like to appeal to the LCD. Might as well play the best MMO on the market currently.

No issues logging in/queuing.

Runs fine on a gtx1060 @1080p with its autodetected/recommended default settings (mix of mostly medium with a few low and high) with a 60fps cap. If people are having performance and stability issues might want to consider reducing/disabling some of the fancier effects which may be bugged and cap the fps properly.

Graphically it's the prettiest top down game I've tried since Pillars of Eternity 2.

Can't comment much on the gameplay as diablo-likes are not my thing and last tried it decades ago. Seems to flow well enough. There seems to be a huge power difference between the classes. If Barb felt normal/easy Necro felt like game journalist mode.

Would've liked an alternate solution for a high tension/hardcore/ironman mode that doesn't end up wiping your character if the batteries in your mouse go out or if you get a phone call in the middle of a fight.

Last edited:

frajaq

Erudite
the one good thing about this game is that it might hurry the release of Path of Exile 2 by forcing GGG's hand a bit

game is not worth the full price IMO, but maybe it can be worked towards it in the future

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom