Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Modron

Arcane
Remember the time when Blizzard game releases were like a video game industry celebration?
I remember getting the yuge Warcraft 3 collector's edition and being terribly disappointed with the game. Was nice having a dvd of just the game's cinematics because everything else was uninspired.

RolePlayer

Augur
i would say blizz was rock solid until WoW started making hundreds of millions per month in subscriptions (sometime around The Burning Crusade era) and then Kotick got involved and it was all downhill from there quite rapidly

now blizzard games are generic trash

But Kotick/Activision/jew capitalists were able to pick every bit of meat off the bone before leaving the brand for dead

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
i would say blizz was rock solid until WoW started making hundreds of millions per month in subscriptions (sometime around The Burning Crusade era) and then Kotick got involved and it was all downhill from there quite rapidly

But Kotick/Activision/jew capitalists were able to pick every bit of meat off the bone before leaving the brand for dead
The cancelled Warcraft Adventures:Lord of the Clans(almost finished with great voice acting from Clancy Brown) and made WoW. Blizzard got insanely rich due tot WoW and that's why it took them 10 years to make Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. They spined it like they needed time to make quality games but they did not give a fuck since WOW was provinding a constant flux of money. Starcraft 2 was good but Diablo 3 was garbage.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Warcraft 3 was mocked as abandonware for long time, released with unplayable battlenet for days and was laughed for it's mediocre graphics. That "blizzard quality" is marketing/journo speak for retards on the same level some people talk about Ubisoft or Sony quality.

Reinhardt

Arcane

nah, kotick wuz a gud guy, he tried to save blizzard by kicking useless retards out. look at them now without bobby to clean the house.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

nah, kotick wuz a gud guy, he tried to save blizzard by kicking useless retards out. look at them now without bobby to clean the house.
Activision meddling in Blizzard stuff is very, very recent thing. It shows that people don't know what their are talking about if they think Kotick has anything to do why Blizzard sucks so much or that the shitty monetization practices were a thing Activision brought when merged. Lets not forget Blizzard was one of the pioneers of shitty monetization with monthly subscriptions.

Arbiter

Scholar
Warcraft 3 was mocked as abandonware for long time, released with unplayable battlenet for days and was laughed for it's mediocre graphics. That "blizzard quality" is marketing/journo speak for retards on the same level some people talk about Ubisoft or Sony quality.

We can argue about WarCraft 3, but Blizzard games were top notch in the second half of 90s, from WarCraft 2 to StarCraft: Brood War.

RolePlayer

Augur

Activision meddling in Blizzard stuff is very, very recent thing. It shows that people don't know what their are talking about if they think Kotick has anything to do why Blizzard sucks so much or that the shitty monetization practices were a thing Activision brought when merged. Lets not forget Blizzard was one of the pioneers of shitty monetization with monthly subscriptions.
Source?

Once activision and blizz merged, Kotick became CEO of both companies (Blizzard knew Kotick had a bad reputation with gamers, so it was done quietly, and they spun it to the public as despite the merger activisition and blizzard would remain two separate entities, but Kotick was the top guy both activision execs and blizz execs were reporting to). Once Kotick/activision got involved all of the crap business practices in Activision games started rearing their ugly head in every Blizzard game/decision.

And it got worse and worse and worse and here we are today. I don't know any Blizzard fans that haven't been madly disappointed by one business move or another over that time. ANd now nobody trusts the brand. I don't think Kotick cares, he made out like a bandit with a short-term/immediate-profit business strategy before selling to Microsoft.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Kodick has and always will be a massive piece of shit who is only there to line his own pockets gladly firing hundreds of people making their lives miserable all so he can retain his ill begotten fortunes. Fuck Bobby Kodick may he die a horrible death, that piece of complete and utter shite.

Sykar

Arcane
firing hundreds of people making their lives miserable
and in this case nothing of value was lost. oh noes, poor community managers had to find actual job instead of relaxing in daily crying room while sipping stolen breast milk.
Yes it is better to give it to the guy getting his dick sucked all day long while doing nothing of any value whatsoever. Brilliant argument! And I am sure all those hundreds of firings were managers, no way would KoDICK fire programmers, artists, etc.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So yesterday new Beta weekend was announced in mid May.

Could be a marketing move. Perhaps hype is dying after lukewarm reception of beta and Blizzard is planning to showcase new gimmicks to maintain interest.
They are calling it server slam beta.
I think they took seriously people making fun of all the players that are willing to play 90+$ just to play 4 days early and run into/test server issues so maybe they want to actually have smooth service at release.

Also this beta is supposed to have all the balance changes made based on feedback of first two beta tests.
AND it is no longer going to have bonus XP and loot drops but it will work like release game will.

bloodlover

Arcane
Time to test the "improved" barbarian and druid :cool:.

It will be interesting to see how the game is now that legendary items don't drop all over the place, though I assume getting to level 20 will still be a cakewalk.

pickmeister

Learned
Source?

Once activision and blizz merged, Kotick became CEO of both companies (Blizzard knew Kotick had a bad reputation with gamers, so it was done quietly, and they spun it to the public as despite the merger activisition and blizzard would remain two separate entities, but Kotick was the top guy both activision execs and blizz execs were reporting to). Once Kotick/activision got involved all of the crap business practices in Activision games started rearing their ugly head in every Blizzard game/decision.

And it got worse and worse and worse and here we are today. I don't know any Blizzard fans that haven't been madly disappointed by one business move or another over that time. ANd now nobody trusts the brand. I don't think Kotick cares, he made out like a bandit with a short-term/immediate-profit business strategy before selling to Microsoft.
Not sure about that. This is anecdotal but I remember many people being concerned when the ownership change from Vivendi to Activision was announced. And Vivendi wasn't anything to write home about either but it wasn't this level of shitshow.

And since you mentioned good ol' Bobby, here's a little reminder from Epstein's address book
F5JHLWY.png

I wonder what his favorite dish by Chef Jeffrey was.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Source?

Not sure about that. This is anecdotal but I remember many people being concerned when the ownership change from Vivendi to Activision was announced. And Vivendi wasn't anything to write home about either but it wasn't this level of shitshow.

And since you mentioned good ol' Bobby, here's a little reminder from Epstein's address book
F5JHLWY.png

I wonder what his favorite dish by Chef Jeffrey was.

I don't see what you're getting at about Mr. Kotick.

That clearly says "Boby Kotic". Not sure who that is. Sounds like a scumbag. :smug:

Goldschmidt

Learned
PoE players can fuck right off. Diablo 4 is NOT for you, and it never will be, good riddance.

Basement dweller excel-spreadsheet simulator loving fucks can jerk off to their min-max bullshit for hours on end and let the rest of us enjoy ourselves.

That way you also filter away the worst types of autists and ADHD/asperger from even playing diablo 4 - letting the rest of us normies enjoy our game in peace.
True. Diablo 4 is for 6 year olds, learning addition and subtraction for first time!

Typical Diablo 4 player:

Diablo4.png

Addition and subtraction can become too much for children. What to add, what to subtract? Very confusing ....

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Why are you posting D2Lama?

Guy is a HUGE D2 andy, and tryhard for D2. ANything that isn't D2 he hates, no matter how great it may be.

ITS NOT D2, BAD!

D3 wasn't all bad, D4 is what D3 should have been. fun nice game

Artyoan

Arbiter
Llama would be more effective in critique if he made a couple hour long video explaining why D2 itemization and progression is so good and why a continuation of D3 into D4 is the wrong path. Thats the real core of his complaints, aside from the UI and map. I don't think he would care much about boring dungeons if the itemization is rock solid. He's been playing this game for his entire life, those dungeons and runs are long since boring if not for the drops. Its all about how each kill is a pull on a slot machine from start to finish.

D2 allows for potential end game drops to be ultra rare but still possible to drop even in early levels. So each kill, each chest opened, all have the potential to be lottery winners. Upgrades are 'stair-stepping' progression so the player can feel the increase, as opposed to gradual and constant upgrades being offset by enemy scaling. Smart loot is awful if you play multiple characters, as those same ultra rare drops can become new avenues of play with a new class that utilizes the item. Multipliers on multipliers is bad design. Keep the numbers contained and sensible. It all worked so well and then they went with frequent but ineffectual level-based gear replacement.

Still not sure why so many games took to quantity over quality in terms of loot/upgrades. D:OS2 still causes me ass pain about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom