Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Not really, lots of great studios existed before and now (Black Isle Studios, very early Bioware, Piranha Bytes, Origin, Looking Glass Studios, Ion Storm, etc). But Blizzard always made really shallow games with a ton of polish:

- Diablo - People praise this game like it's the second coming, but the reality is, Diablo was inspired by the much, much, much deeper NetHack, and was originally supposed to be a turn-based game, before it eventually turned into a click-fest. If you want to see what a deep, intelligent version of Diablo looks like, buy Vulture on Steam for $3, and spend the next 20 years playing it without looking up online hints.

- Starcraft/Warcraft - very simplistic RTS's, where all the complexity comes from human competition, but I mean you can play basketball outside too, this is not what great games are about.

- World of Warcraft - was fun in the early days, but really, they took everything interesting and multiplayer about MMOs and over time turned it into a single-player lobby full of mini-games.

CoronerZg

Augur
- Starcraft/Warcraft - very simplistic RTS's, where all the complexity comes from human competition, but I mean you can play basketball outside too, this is not what great games are about
Porky, sometimes you say dumb shit, but most of the time you make some sense to me. But this right here is the dumbest shit I've read in months. And I don't mean just months, I mean months on Codex, so think about that for a second.

Still true though. Let me elaborate on what I mean by this.

The real potential of video games lies in the in-depth virtual worlds they allow developers to create. There is nothing else like it, books or movies can't do the same. But something like Starcraft/Warcraft is nothing like that. They create a simplistic as all fuck gameworld where all you do is build a few simple structures, churn out some units that follow a simple rock-scissors-paper model, and try to outclick/outplan the other guy. All the complexity comes from the human competition aspect of it, but if that's what gets your goat, you can do the same shit using chess, or checkers, or basketball or soccer. These types of games tap into nothing special about video games.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
I think Porky is mad that he never was able to harvest minerals in a Starcraft MMORPG as a drone.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think Porky is mad that he never was able to harvest minerals in a Starcraft MMORPG as a drone.
Nah, it sound more like he tried Sc1, lost his first game to a SCV rush and then ragequit and has been spending 10000s of $ for shrinks ever since

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
D3 wasn't all bad, D4 is what D3 should have been. fun nice game

D3 actually had some fun, but the D4 Beta bored me endlessly.
ur like the first person I've seen saying D3 was actually better than D4 lol.

D4 is an improvement in every way over D3.

Not sure how you could find D4 beta boring, if u enjoyed D3 lol.

At this moment, D4 blows every ARPG out of the water, even POE, and don't get me started on the shitty fake complexity and autistic builds and pixel clutter all over the screen.

June is soon here. Dis gon b gud

ArchAngel

Arcane

At this moment, D4 blows every ARPG out of the water, even POE, and don't get me started on the shitty fake complexity and autistic builds and pixel clutter all over the screen.

You need to change your pants fanboy. I think you let it go at one point.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Yeah, it's an "improvement" in the checkbox sense, but it's still less fun overall.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Yeah, it's an "improvement" in the checkbox sense, but it's still less fun overall.
D4 exeeded alot of peoples expectations, however low they may have been.

You are the minority bro, the beta was fun as fuck.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Of course RpgCodex is in minority and we have always been. And we are proud of it.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

I really... don't care about other people's expectations?

bloodlover

Arcane
Time to test the "improved" barbarian and druid :cool:.

I hope they also improve Sorc and Necro and make them more vulnerable. Don't make them easy mode, like in D2.

They did nerf their damage but imo their kits are what usually make them easy mode, not the dmg per se.

Barb is supposedly great in D4's endgame but even with them having the same damage, simply being able to zoom all across the map with sorc is a huge boost.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I keep getting spam emails from Blizzard relating to this game just because I played the beta for a few hours. Seems they are desperately trying to remind people that this game exists. And I'll be honest, I forget about it until I get the next email.

Zlaja

Arcane
I keep getting spam emails from Blizzard relating to this game just because I played the beta for a few hours. Seems they are desperately trying to remind people that this game exists. And I'll be honest, I forget about it until I get the next email.

According to one of their emails I killed around 2300 monsters in the beta. If only those were game 'journalists' instead.

Arbiter

Scholar
Could be a marketing move. Perhaps hype is dying after lukewarm reception of beta and Blizzard is planning to showcase new gimmicks to maintain interest.

It appears that I was right and Blizzard is desperately spamming players to maintain interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom