Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Yosharian

Arcane
If they want to screw people with a pass, seems better not to gate them out at a $70 wall. I'll pick this up on a deep sale just like I did with D2:R.
lmao you are fucking nuts if you think this game is going to be on sale anytime soon

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If they want to screw people with a pass, seems better not to gate them out at a $70 wall. I'll pick this up on a deep sale just like I did with D2:R.
lmao you are fucking nuts if you think this game is going to be on sale anytime soon
You're fucking nuts if you care about playing this any time soon.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It does not need to be soon. People can wait, there are plenty of other games to play while fools are beta testing D4 for 70$+

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Are my Diablobros ready for the Server Slam???

All you have to do is download the single 80gb server slam game file using your already installed Battle.net launcher. Then you can play exactly how they want you to play (a spaz) and earn
Initial Casualty Title: earned by reaching Kyovashad with one character.

Early Voyager Title: earned by reaching Level 20 on one character.

Beta Wolf Pack Cosmetic Item: earned by reaching Level 20 on one character.

Cry of Ashava Mount Trophy: earned by defeating Ashava with one Level 20 character.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/dia...p-for-launch-during-the-diablo-iv-server-slam

Choose between the default character classes containing

A Black Barbarian
An Indian Rogue
An Obese White Druid
An Asian Sorcerer
A Mutt Necromancer

Watchu looking at bitch? Play on da server slam From May 12, 12 p.m.–May 14, 12 p.m. PDT Get ta downloadin

diablo-4-barbarian-gameplay.jpg

So that's a confirmation, they're going for pay2win. Again.
What? Where?
The premium / accelerated pass stuff.
That's cosmetics. And the non-cosmetics are in the free part and even if you buy the boosted pass it doesn't let you use the non-cosmetic shit until you've leveled a character up anyway. And on top of that the bonuses listed were small shit to reduce grinding since you can only play seasons after you've played through the game once.

Peachcurl

Cipher
That's cosmetics.
Why make that statement? It's not _just_ cosmetics, and whether cosmetics are mixed into it is completely irrelevant for evaluating if this is pay2win.

And the non-cosmetics are in the free part
Not only, so that's irrelevant as well.

and even if you buy the boosted pass it doesn't let you use the non-cosmetic shit until you've leveled a character up anyway.
So it's pay2win for the late game. Uh... great?

And on top of that the bonuses listed were small shit to reduce grinding since you can only play seasons after you've played through the game once.
If you can't see the problem with this, I really don't know what to say.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
People argue that it's just cosmetics... Those cosmetics should have been rewards in the game from the get-go. There is no acceptable micro transactions. They are all decline.

That's cosmetics.
Why make that statement? It's not _just_ cosmetics, and whether cosmetics are mixed into it is completely irrelevant for evaluating if this is pay2win.

And the non-cosmetics are in the free part
Not only, so that's irrelevant as well.

and even if you buy the boosted pass it doesn't let you use the non-cosmetic shit until you've leveled a character up anyway.
So it's pay2win for the late game. Uh... great?

And on top of that the bonuses listed were small shit to reduce grinding since you can only play seasons after you've played through the game once.
If you can't see the problem with this, I really don't know what to say.
It's just cosmetics in the premium pass, which I was referring to since you said premium/accelerated pass. And you're right that there are cosmetics in the free pass as well but the only gameplay mechanic altering shit is in the free pass. And you say pay2win for the late game but you can't activate that shit until you've leveled a character (The full specifics are still unknown, only thing that could be seen is you can spend your first pip of upgrade-shit at 10th level) and I debate how pay to win a 3% XP gain from monster kills (Not doing quests or events, just kills) really is especially when everyone can get that anyway.

As for not seeing the problem of it, I don't. I assume you're offended because reducing grind makes it seem like the old "We've made our game worse but you can get around that by paying us" thing, but Diablo 3 does that with the Haedrig's gift shit in their seasons. Every new D3 season you do the seasonal challenge shit and get a full class-specific set for whatever class you're playing so after you've gone through the regular leveling you can immediately start the late game with some gear. It can be argued that 's bad since the whole point of playing Diablo is to click monsters and get gear but that one set won't finalize or perfect a character build and it's mainly just so people who feel like playing the game again can drop in with a new character and get bumped into late game smoother.

C7EK9S48E5GX1683677940450.png

That was the gameplay-influencing boost shit. We don't know how the later tiers increase (Maybe that monster kill XP boost goes 3%-30%-300%-3000% instead of 3-6-9-12) and don't know how fast you can spend those pips (It shows you can use the first at 10th level, which I would assume you won't reach tier 8 in a season by character level 10 without boosting but I don't technically know that either). Though I suppose it's also worth noting that all these images could be bullshit since another one shows ashes (What you use to get those bonuses) at levels 15 and 20 but shows multiple things being unlocked before reaching that point.

EABJ9EQOBC651683677941011.png

Also worth noting that the coins you see in the premium pass there are the retarded currency for buying cosmetics from the shop.

People argue that it's just cosmetics... Those cosmetics should have been rewards in the game from the get-go. There is no acceptable micro transactions. They are all decline.
That's an entirely different argument though. I agree it's some shit that they're putting assloads of cosmetics behind a paywall when they're charging $70 for the game but that's a far cry from pay to win. I also don't care that much about it, I played enough PoE where everyone runs around with their ass out unless they want to buy cosmetics to have pants and I played enough D3 where I did seasons when I was in the mood to click and that had cosmetics you'd unlock by playing them too and I didn't care. It would stand out more if D4 felt like there wasn't enough variety in loot appearance (I would be annoyed with PoE's equipment visual variety if it wasn't free to play for example) but after playing their last weekend it felt fine.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
So that's a confirmation, they're going for pay2win. Again.
What? Where?
The premium / accelerated pass stuff.
That's cosmetics. And the non-cosmetics are in the free part and even if you buy the boosted pass it doesn't let you use the non-cosmetic shit until you've leveled a character up anyway. And on top of that the bonuses listed were small shit to reduce grinding since you can only play seasons after you've played through the game once.
Sounds dumb. You have to make a character season players likely won't play again just to get to what you actually want to play?
Even if the game doesn't start with seasons, it'll be an annoyance for people who join later.

Sounds dumb. You have to make a character season players likely won't play again just to get to what you actually want to play?
Even if the game doesn't start with seasons, it'll be an annoyance for people who join later.
I agree with that too, honestly. The reasoning seems to be because they'll add new events/quests/mechanics/etc in the seasons (Again, similar to D3 and PoE. And it sounds much like those games where they might make some of the new additions permanent and others will just be temporary) so they want people to play the regular game first before being baffled by extra shit in the seasons but I can't imagine they'll be so outlandish with it that they couldn't just let people dive into seasons. Hopefully they change it down the line since everyone's going to start with vanilla anyway since it'll be a month and a half after launch for when the first season starts (Which also feels dumb to me but I guess they're hoping the servers will be stable by then?) and it does seem stupid to block new players from joining seasons first LATER since seasonal play's usually popular since it's fun to see the new bullshit and have new characters leveling up with you and all that jazz. Which is also why seasons are beneficial to new players so other people are playing new characters too but WHATEVER BLIZZARD

I guess I can slightly see where they're coming from since PoE can be weird with seasons on occasion, but PoE's already a nightmare with billions of currencies and sub-currencies and sub-sub-currencies and... It seems D4's going that route a little too. Not as bad as PoE but there are crafting mats, gold, obols (Which is like the purpleshit in D3 just used for gambling I think), the paragon board which is like the PoE skill tree, "Platinum" which is currency for the cosmetics store, "Ashes" for unlocking bonuses, and I feel like I'm forgetting some. It's easier to digest simply because they aren't dozens of inventory items to stash and manage but it's still a pain in the ass trying to keep track of it, at least before you're actually playing. Maybe after playing a while it'll be easier to know what to ignore and what to look for.

Yosharian

Arcane
So it isn't just cosmetics?

Am I understanding this correctly, the battlepass gives you bonuses to XP etc?

Someone please summarise I am not reading a wall of text or watching an hour long video

Late Bloomer

Scholar
So it isn't just cosmetics?

Am I understanding this correctly, the battlepass gives you bonuses to XP etc?

Someone please summarise I am not reading a wall of text or watching an hour long video

As you play in a season you unlock shit. If you want help with xp to unlock shit quicker pay 10 bucks. If you want to unlock shit and not play hardly at all pay 25 bucks.

Shit = Cosmetics and other shit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom