Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

If barbarian wears one of those fur cape armors, he looks pretty fat.

abija

Prophet
Their stats are static and independent from your level, so it's not the same. In D4 an enemy that is level 100 will have different stats if you are level 90, 91, 92 etc. So even if nightmare dungeons have set level it's still level scaled comparatively to your level. Also don't understand what you mean "bosses don't" ? They defiantly get the map modifiers.
Mobs get a %dmg modifier in higher level maps which bosses don't. Or it was the case last time I read about it, a while ago.

Those mobs are static not scaled, exactly same as PoE. Level penalties are different between games, but still kinda similar. The increased accuracy and dmg in poe will generate more crits and the way armor works also makes dmg scale above linear. Sure it could be more drastic in D4, but it's a different game with different systems.

Oh and ther's some map mod that gives 50% dmg if hit close from behind or something like that.

Last edited:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Blizzard is like a drug seller that sell low quality drugs for high prices. The least it can happen is review-bombing.

Saravan

Savant
Yeah that’s gotta be it Quin

:mixedemotions:

Reminder to check which posters are defending this turd.

Imagine being impressed by this shit.
  • Items limited to 4 affixes
  • No prefix/suffix system
  • Uninspiring unique effects
  • Lack of stat depth (no accuracy rating on melee weapons, block rate, MF, faster hit recovery, faster cast rate, life/mana steal %, knockback, prevent monster heal, ignore defence, etc.)
  • No stat requirements on items
  • No meaningful stat difference between cloth pants or greaves (e.g. defense value)
  • The mere concept of item power (lmao WoW)
  • Level scaling makes low level items completely meaningless as they will quickly become redundant (e.g. no need to save frostburn or w/e).
  • Max 2 sockets
  • No set items
  • No class-specific items (to make classes stand out more)
  • No runewords or similar system (spare me the enigma-argument, a new runeword system doesn't automatically = OP shit).
  • Lack of runewords or similar system also makes white and grey-socketed 'base items' completely meaningless
  • Account bound legendary and uniques (can't trade...)

Diablo-4-unique-items-screenshot.jpg

cpZPeQd9YEjoWMnPubznWG.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah that’s gotta be it Quin

:mixedemotions:

Reminder to check which posters are defending this turd.

Imagine being impressed by this shit.
  • Items limited to 4 affixes
  • No prefix/suffix system
  • Uninspiring unique effects
  • Lack of stat depth (no accuracy rating on melee weapons, block rate, MF, faster hit recovery, faster cast rate, life/mana steal %, knockback, prevent monster heal, ignore defence, etc.)
  • No stat requirements on items
  • No meaningful stat difference between cloth pants or greaves (e.g. defense value)
  • The mere concept of item power (lmao WoW)
  • Level scaling makes low level items completely meaningless as they will quickly become redundant (e.g. no need to save frostburn or w/e).
  • Max 2 sockets
  • No set items
  • No class-specific items (to make classes stand out more)
  • No runewords or similar system (spare me the enigma-argument, a new runeword system doesn't automatically = OP shit).
  • Lack of runewords or similar system also makes white and grey-socketed 'base items' completely meaningless
  • Account bound legendary and uniques (can't trade...)

Diablo-4-unique-items-screenshot.jpg

cpZPeQd9YEjoWMnPubznWG.jpg

While I do agree on 90% of stated above lets be fair. There is 5 affixes and 1 socket. 4 standard ones + 1 legendary + 1 socket. On items with 2 sockets I have seen item only have 3 standard ones. I think we can say they did design items around 6 items stats, just differently than PoE and other games.

abija

Prophet
After the wonderful experience that is PoE trade and the incredible success of D3 AH I can't imagine why a developer would increase drop rates and block trade.

Saravan
What's with this deal of listing random features of some games and considering them required. It's a different game and the systems combined are a step up in depth over diablo games (while still far away from PoE). How edgy do you have to be to list stuff like "max 2 sockets" ?

Repetitive and obnoxious dungeon mechanics -> huge issue. Everything you listed there, irrelevant crap.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
The casual audacity to want a decent build without having to trade after spending hundred hours in a char.

Saravan

Savant
After the wonderful experience that is PoE trade and the incredible success of D3 AH I can't imagine why a developer would increase drop rates and block trade.

Saravan
What's with this deal of listing random features of some games and considering them required. It's a different game and the systems combined are a step up in depth over diablo games (while still far away from PoE). How edgy do you have to be to list stuff like "max 2 sockets" ?

Repetitive and obnoxious dungeon mechanics -> huge issue. Everything you listed there, irrelevant crap.
These are not random features, they are all features that add depth to itemisation which greatly affects build diversity (besides simplistic skill tree). Itemisation is key to longevity for any ARPG and a fundamental issue for D4 is that these things will never be fixed because the game simply wasn't designed for it. Max 2 sockets mean for instance that there is no possibility to introduce runewords or a similar system, it also narrows the customization of items with gems or jewels (but these don't exist either in D4).

Understandable, however, that a D4-enjoyer doesn't get this. D2 isn't perfect, but provided a perfect base to expand upon, going the opposite direction is a straight downgrade.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Saravan

These are not random features, they are all features that add depth to itemisation which greatly affects build diversity (besides simplistic skill tree). Itemisation is key to longevity for any ARPG and a fundamental issue for D4 is that these things will never be fixed because the game simply wasn't designed for it. Max 2 sockets mean for instance that there is no possibility to introduce runewords or a similar system, it also narrows the customization of items with gems or jewels (but these don't exist either in D4).

Understandable, however, that a D4-enjoyer doesn't get this. D2 isn't perfect, but provided a perfect base to expand upon, going the opposite direction is a straight downgrade.
I agree with most of what you said, but they actually could change that in an update or expansion. D2 didn't have runewords at first, they were introduced in... the expansion. Go figure.

You're comparing a newly released game with one that had literally decades of updates and a full retail expansion.

Anyway, the bigger issue is level scaling. That would require either new non-scaling areas introduced or a total overhaul of the existing content.

Saravan

Savant

Saravan

I agree with most of what you said, but they actually could change that in an update or expansion. D2 didn't have runewords at first, they were introduced in... the expansion. Go figure.

You're comparing a newly released game with one that had literally decades of updates and a full retail expansion.

Anyway, the bigger issue is level scaling. That would require either new non-scaling areas introduced or a total overhaul of the existing content.
It's not an unreasonable standard to expect a triple A company to leverage good ideas and mechanics from previous installments of a game when they also ask for 70 USD. I honestly find this argument a bit of a cope precisely because D3 itemisation is still garbage even after all its changes, which D4 itemisation is clearly based upon.

Sure, in theory they can introduce some of these changes. In theory Blizzard North can also swoop in and take over the development. I also don't see how they can reconcile the idea of level scaling with, for example, not making early-game / low level items perpetually useless as you progress. You aren't going to fix the biggest issues concerning itemisation with an expansion because we are talking about fundamental issues in the game design and not a balance oversight.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I agree with most of what you said, but they actually could change that in an update or expansion. D2 didn't have runewords at first

First runewords are terrible system that killed a lot of D2 itemization. Second I highly doubt they can change the item's affixes without codding the game from scratch, the best D4 can become is D3 pre-smart loot. Majority of D4 item affixes are too specific and the classes are too broad. For example all characters benefit from Cooldown reduction so any item that can roll it you want it. Same with all damage reduction , skills, health etc. modifiers. So you end up with every build wanting the same items only difference is the legendary power on them. They can improve it by at least doubling the skill tree and make the new skills benefit form broad modifiers, like skill that scales with Wisdom for example or skill that benefits from mana regeneration for it's damage etc. Anything that is not a top down build that the developer created. That ofc will not happen as seen by D3 and D4 nerfs over the years, when a build was made by players and wasn't part of the devs ideas it gets nerfed to unusability. Only approved fun is allowed.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree with most of what you said, but they actually could change that in an update or expansion. D2 didn't have runewords at first

First runewords are terrible system that killed a lot of D2 itemization. Second I highly doubt they can change the item's affixes without codding the game from scratch, the best D4 can become is D3 pre-smart loot. Majority of D4 item affixes are too specific and the classes are too broad. For example all characters benefit from Cooldown reduction so any item that can roll it you want it. Same with all damage reduction , skills, health etc. modifiers. So you end up with every build wanting the same items only difference is the legendary power on them. They can improve it by at least doubling the skill tree and make the new skills benefit form broad modifiers, like skill that scales with Wisdom for example or skill that benefits from mana regeneration for it's damage etc. Anything that is not a top down build that the developer created. That ofc will not happen as seen by D3 and D4 nerfs over the years, when a build was made by players and wasn't part of the devs ideas it gets nerfed to unusability. Only approved fun is allowed.
Yeah I didn't like runewords either. It was about that specific claim though. It wasn't a D2 launch feature so acting as if it's impossible to add in post launch is strange, at minimum.

Otherwise, I have no idea but I dont doubt that D4 is mechanically inferior just based on what I saw. But to be fair, D3 started as a complete shit show that got overhauled with an expansion to be fun, if shallow and still with a godawful story, but I look at Diablo more like the evolution of Gauntlet than anything.

Saravan

Savant
... big pile of shit...

Uniques are not really uniques as they will drop with higher level therefore you comparison is retarded.

Items with 725+ power level are end game items. The rest are trash.
What sort of retarded take is this. Having items with MMO-trash 'power level' is the reason why all early game items become instantly useless as you progress. If you find a frostburn or magefist in D2 at normal difficulty that can be a key item that stays with you throughout the game. You don't have to find it once more at hell difficulty just for it to stay relevant.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
... big pile of shit...

Uniques are not really uniques as they will drop with higher level therefore you comparison is retarded.

Items with 725+ power level are end game items. The rest are trash.
What sort of retarded take is this. Having items with MMO-trash 'power level' is the reason why all early game items become instantly useless as you progress. If you find a frostburn or magefist in D2 at normal difficulty that can be a key item that stays with you throughout the game. You don't have to find it once more at hell difficulty just for it to stay relevant.

You got SoJ that is Item level 724 and gives you +1 to all skills, tough luck time to farm it for Item level 725+ where it gives you +2 to skills.
I'm joking, there is no SoJ in D4 :hearnoevil:

Tehdagah

Arcane

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom