Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Holy mother of marketing speech and still didn't say any numbers or that it sold better than D3. (coz it didn't). Still funny to listen to retards buying this and making Bobby's yacht jokes feeling smug. :lol:

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Saravan

Savant
Diablo® IV Crosses $666 Million Sell-Through within Five Days of Launch, Setting New Blizzard All-Time Record

https://investor.activision.com/new...ses-666-million-sell-through-within-five-days

Activision sure loves their "Mark of the Beast" symbolism for some odd reason...
But the internet said Blizzard was about to go bankrupted?
Don't care either way. The old Blizzard died a long time ago.
Since when is this even an argument? D3 also sold really well, still a garbage game. I'm sensing a lot of redditor aura amongst D4 enjoyers.

abija

Prophet
What sort of retarded take is this. Having items with MMO-trash 'power level' is the reason why all early game items become instantly useless as you progress. If you find a frostburn or magefist in D2 at normal difficulty that can be a key item that stays with you throughout the game. You don't have to find it once more at hell difficulty just for it to stay relevant.
Depends on slot and important rolls actually. But keep on codexing.
Probably won't get through, but there are reasons for many of these systems. A "low level" unique that is build defining will be used in D4 until you get a better version of it, same as in D2. The difference is, the ones that aren't that strong enough to overcome a lot of affix difference will still be used in a final build.

Since when is this even an argument? D3 also sold really well, still a garbage game. I'm sensing a lot of redditor aura amongst D4 enjoyers.
People said d3 sold only because of d2 and that d3 and immortal fiascos will bankrupt bliz. Considering the way it's worded it sold less units than D3 but still very profitable.

Last edited:

Saravan

Savant
What sort of retarded take is this. Having items with MMO-trash 'power level' is the reason why all early game items become instantly useless as you progress. If you find a frostburn or magefist in D2 at normal difficulty that can be a key item that stays with you throughout the game. You don't have to find it once more at hell difficulty just for it to stay relevant.
Depends on slot and important rolls actually. But keep on codexing.
Probably won't get through, but there are reasons for many of these systems. A "low level" unique that is build defining will be used in D4 until you get a better version of it, same as in D2. The difference is, the ones that aren't that strong enough to overcome a lot of affix difference will still be used in a final build.

People said d3 sold only because of d2 and that d3 and immortal fiascos will bankrupt bliz. Considering the way it's worded it sold less units than D3 but still very profitable.
Slot and important roll might apply to a handful of uniques (out of like 60-70 in total, which is abysmal to begin with). For the vast majority of items, item power will be the defining factor. It's definitely not anything like D2's take on uniques. In D2, most great uniques are so hard to find that unless you grind yourself to death you are just going to see one or two Griffons, Death's Fathom etc. Regardless of the rolls on these items they will always be great. In D4, the item power severally affects the usability of all items, including uniques. The guy I quoted even admitted himself that anything past a certain item power threshold is automatically trash. But keep on fanboying.

Btw, there is barely any build defining uniques in D4 because for one thing, build diversity is non-existent, and second being that the stat depth in the game simply doesn't provide the necessary complexity for itemisation to be good.

wg0uqercx25b1.png

abija

Prophet
You are very confused with uniques and item power. They only drop sacred/ancestral and the difference between those isn't that big. Only active weapon slot would make the unique unusable if too low item level.
And the rare ones are super rare, at least atm.

Where did you get those build stats? They all seem fast leveling focused.

Saravan

Savant
You are very confused with uniques and item power. They only drop sacred/ancestral and the difference between those isn't that big. Only active weapon slot would make the unique unusable if too low item level.

Affix tiers are directly tied to the item power. If the item power is higher past a certain breakpoint, it will affect the range of all the affixes the item has. This includes the uniques, which is why, for example, the unique below with the highest item power has a higher minimum value for thorns damage than what the lowest item power version can possibly roll. This does not happen for D2 uniques.

The result of this system is that chance of the unique being replaced by literally any other item rarity increases by every level as you get items with higher item power. It also makes the 'unique' not actually be particularly unique, because its usefulness has been narrowed to a few levels before monster level scaling becomes an issue.

Yes, in very few instances there might be a handful of uniques, for specific builds, where the unique effect is the only thing that matters, so a low item power unique may still be useful for a longer duration. However, those situations are exceptionally rare in a game that only has approx. 70 uniques in total. Many of which, will never be even relevant to your class or build. Really grasping at straws here.

I haven't touched upon how basic the itemisation is due to lack of stat depth, but that's an entirely different issue.

kNBoBNa.png

ls8jJHa.png

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

From 11 equipment slots I have uniques in 8 of them. Very rare.

abija

Prophet
From 11 equipment slots I have uniques in 8 of them. Very rare.

There are some items that barely dropped: Harelquin, Grandfather, etc
Though getting 8 useful uniques for a build is quite impressive, even for the higher drop rate ones.

@Sarava
Yeah uniques are in the 2 last breakpoints, so the difference isn't that big. Even in the example you provided with the chest, the lucky hit has similar range and builds that need it will use that unique until they get a better version of it.
Builds that don't depend on the unique afix might still use it if it has high rolls, which wouldn't happen in D2.

Peachcurl

Arcane
BTW, what is that WK40 game he references there and is it any good?
Boltgun and it's good if you like 2016 Doom + Warhams
The game that is shown in the video is "Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr". It's a good diablo-like, and mostly nails the w40k atmosphere. But note, it's not really designed to be played indefinitely like most contemporary games of this type.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There's no way around it, Diablo iv is fast becoming one of the biggest ever gaming success stories. The sales and positivity this is garnering is just staggering for a developer who had one foot in the grave.

MS needs this deal to go through so CoD and Diablo can become the new faces of Xbox instead of all the shit they showed us in their recent presentation.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There's no way around it, Diablo iv is fast becoming one of the biggest ever gaming success stories. The sales and positivity this is garnering is just staggering for a developer who had one foot in the grave.

MS needs this deal to go through so CoD and Diablo can become the new faces of Xbox instead of all the shit they showed us in their recent presentation.
D3 also had crazy sales, I do not think D4 will change this much. The real test will be if people will bother to come back to play seasons and buy the shit Blizzard counted on them to buy.
CoD is current in the middle of shitstorm after they decided to join the culture war on the wrong side by siding with pedos. CoD could easy get Bud Lighted now.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
The casual audacity to want a decent build without having to trade after spending hundred hours in a char.
I'd like to see your definition of "decent", because in SSF my characters start feeling good on day 3-4 already. If your char doesn't feel decent after 100+ hours, you're either doing something wrong or your standards are way too high.

Mortmal

Arcane

D3 also had crazy sales, I do not think D4 will change this much. The real test will be if people will bother to come back to play seasons and buy the shit Blizzard counted on them to buy.
CoD is current in the middle of shitstorm after they decided to join the culture war on the wrong side by siding with pedos. CoD could easy get Bud Lighted now.
If they have to refarm renow each seasons, they certainly wont, no one will accept the grind.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
BTW, what is that WK40 game he references there and is it any good?
Boltgun and it's good if you like 2016 Doom + Warhams
It's WH40k Inquisitor - Martyr. Get it on sale IMO, it's pretty good for what it is. A satisfying romp with a lot of flavour but not much endgame/production value/complexity. They have Seasons too, new one should start in two weeks. I got the complete thing for 20bux on sale and didn't regret it, but I wouldn't pay the current full price for either the base game or the complete bundle.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

If they have to refarm renow each seasons, they certainly wont, no one will accept the grind.

No one self respecting would accept the grind, but you're forgetting the MMO player Blizz fan shit eater. The guys who would rep up multiple alts with various factions in WoW, etc. I think this is more of a wait and see whether the hardcore autists have money to burn.

abija

Prophet
I'd like to see your definition of "decent", because in SSF my characters start feeling good on day 3-4 already. If your char doesn't feel decent after 100+ hours, you're either doing something wrong or your standards are way too high.

Clear all content obviously. Keep your PoE gaslighting in check btw, I've spent too much time in that game since beta for your shit to fly.

No one self respecting would accept the grind, but you're forgetting the MMO player Blizz fan shit eater. The guys who would rep up multiple alts with various factions in WoW, etc. I think this is more of a wait and see whether the hardcore autists have money to burn.
The achievement hunters wouldn't even flinch at the renown grind, wouldn't even register as bothersome.

Mortmal

Arcane

Hmm..i see , we have an easy way to check this and prove it right or wrong ! SDG Will you accept to farm renow at each seasons ?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Millions of PoE players grind a lot more each season and in the past there was even more grind there to do each season.

abija

Prophet
I'd be very surprised if people that actually grind challenges (not counting what you auto get from playing) in PoE reach even 1 million.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom