Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

ArchAngel

Arcane
foundation is solid

This is what I don't understand with all these so called "expert aRPG" talking heads. How is foundation solid when the foundations of the game are bad/broken according to the same people? Level scaling is shit, items are shit, builds are premade by devs, bosses are shit... solid foundation! :lol:
"Solid foundation" means "Doesn't crash every 15 minutes" these days
Probably also that it has fun combat and dungeons and loot hunting.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here

- Kripp likes D4 and thinks it's very solid
- Kripp thinks it can be much better with time
- Kripp huffs COPIUM and thinks all the issues are going to be addressed soon
- Resistances are trash, every other stat is better for survivability
- Unstoppable Mechanic is very imbalanced
- entire difficulty of the endgame is built around CC and the ability to avoid it, only Barb, Druid and to a lesser degree Rogue have them
- Cooldown Reduction is completely unbalanced for offence, no other stat comes close
- Damage Bucket System shoehorns all classes into Vulnerable Damage and/or Crit
- Ranged Damage is insane, you get one-shot from off-screen on the regular in endgame
- Boss Damage is laughably low
- Solo Leveling is extremely slow after lvl50 and feels too grindy (for reference: Kripp plays Ruthless in PoE)
- Kripp thinks the xp-rates were nerfed last minute
- Kripp thinks that when the first Season launches, most people are going to be till in the middle of the grind to level 80 and will hate having to re-do the grind instantly
- extremely poor QoL for inventory management
- you lose your "map" (sigil) if you disconnect, same thing for the elixirs
- gear categories suck (non-existent)
- level scaling does not belong in an aRPG
- level scaling will make you feel weaker and weaker for approx. 100 hours until you start feeling getting stronger again due to leveled up glyphs and paragon boards (NSFW for abija )
-

abija

Prophet
Kripp is getting tons of $$$ and needs to balance hope with "this is the worst shit ever" debacles.

Kripp thinks that when the first Season launches, most people are going to be till in the middle of the grind to level 80 and will hate having to re-do the grind instantly
It's more likely they'll be done with the game completely (as in gave up) and Blizzard needs to pull some rabbit out of the hat to have a market to sell passes to.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
They got more viewers than in years of PoE.

Hahaha dude, stop posting stuff that are so easy to disprove. Go to any PoE streamer/youtuber posted here and check their analytics, D4 is not even close to been their most watched game. It's stupid point to make anyway.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Saravan

Savant
If level scaling would be a real issue, Kripp (who pretty much kickstarted the whole insanity) wouldn't be doing capstone dungeons underleveled and farming overleveled content for better xp.
Either people are just whining for the sake of it or PoE zoom zoom zoom ruined too many brains and that's what they expect.
Nah you are the biggest retard in this thread by far because unlike SDG, who I believe might just be half-memeing, you are actually being serious. There is no angle here where you can possibly defend level scaling. It's lazy, uninspiring and retarded game design any way you look at it, it also destroys whatever dogshit itemisation is left of D4. They did this so they wouldn't have to deal with actually balancing the game which takes effort and talent to do right. Also, who the fuck cares what some Blizzard whore like Kripp thinks, all of these influencers are fucking charlatans.

abija

Prophet
Hahaha dude, stop posting stuff that are so easy to disprove. Go to any PoE streamer/youtuber posted here and check their analytics, D4 is not even close to been their most watched game. It's stupid point to make anyway.
Please link those analytics. All these guys made tons of money on D4, that's why you don't get clear cut answers.

There is no angle here where you can possibly defend level scaling.
There's a very simple angle. Play the game, compare with other experiences.

For example poe: if you level fast you're always underleveled or medium/slow and always overleveled. But outside of act 2, there's always same level scaling effect. People usually keep progressing and games are tuned easy enough there's no need to stop at some point. On top of it there's usually xp penalties/gains that help you along the intended curve.

If you want to have a linear path through the game you can adjust monster levels manually to that curve. If you decide to offer a larger amount of freedom you can't do that and level scaling is a good solution. It also fixes group play, provides more content for later etc. Overall the feeling while leveling is pretty similar.

Even the lucky drops spike and taper off in a similar way. But guess what, in D4 now you have the boogieman level scaling to blame it on.

Take your own hint, stop parroting easy takes from streamers with monetary interests.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

Saravan

Savant
Please link those analytics. All these guys made tons of money on D4, that's why you don't get clear cut answers.

There is no angle here where you can possibly defend level scaling.
There's a very simple angle. Play the game, compare with other experiences.

For example poe: if you level fast you're always underleveled or medium/slow and always overleveled. But outside of act 2, there's always same level scaling effect. People usually keep progressing and games are tuned easy enough there's no need to stop at some point. On top of it there's usually xp penalties/gains that help you along the intended curve.

If you want to have a linear path through the game you can adjust monster levels manually to that curve. If you decide to offer a larger amount of freedom you can't do that and level scaling is a good solution. It also fixes group play, provides more content for later etc. Overall the feeling while leveling is pretty similar.

Even the lucky drops spike and taper off in a similar way. But guess what, in D4 now you have the boogieman level scaling to blame it on.

Take your own hint, stop parroting easy takes from streamers with monetary interests.
I'm not parotting shit retard, I played the server slam and it's very close if not identical to release version. I also watched extensive amount of gameplay because I really wanted this game to be good despite D3 being a failure and knowing all that we know about nu-Blizzard. Call it hopium. Please don't give me the bullshit catch-22 argument of how you can't judge a game without paying full price, how the fuck else are you supposed to assess something prior to purchase?

abija

Prophet
And where exactly during server slam was level scaling an issue more than going to a next zone in other games?

Saravan

Savant
And where exactly during server slam was level scaling an issue more than going to a next zone in other games?

You can already see the underlying issues with level scaling in relation to items from the max lvl 20 during server slam. Of course it's not as prominent as higher levels, the best part of D4 is around the 20-25 mark where you still feel a sense of clear progression with items, skills constantly developing and expanding. Then it falls off a damn cliff and you can see how level scaling issues become further apparent by watching high level gameplay. You do know its like the most streamed game right now on Twitch? It's not exactly hard to see gameplay from various stages in the game.

user

Savant
Guise what do we even need levels for? Leveling up is so 2000s jeez, just give us monsters and shiny stuff to click on.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
There is no "level scaling effect". You get an xp penalty for being out of range by more than 4 levels. You don't get help you get punished for being too low or too high level. But the difficulty of each zone is static. This is also completely gone once you hit maps. This system ensure that you can always obtain more power relative to what your current highest progressed zone is.

Who is gaslighting now?

If you decide to offer a larger amount of freedom you can't do that and level scaling is a good solution.
That's precisely what Act 2 does and what the new PoE2 campaign is supposed to do. Fuck, even Lost Ark did that! If you can just go wherever because of level scaling and have no consequences, then the choice doesn't matter.

The problem which D4's level scaling system is trying to solve had no reason to be in the game in the first place.

It also fixes group play
I have a better fix = make your retard friend grind harder! Alternatively find friends who are better at the game. Or simply let everyone play through the campaign at their own pace and then meet up in the end-game where the disparity wouldn't matter at all.

abija

Prophet
Kjaska said:
There is no "level scaling effect". You get an xp penalty for being out of range by more than 4 levels. You don't get help you get punished for being too low or too high level.
Do you actually think? If game tries to keep you in a level range of the monsters while you progress through the game, what does that translate to?

Kjaska said:
I have a better fix = make your retard friend grind harder! Alternatively find friends who are better at the game. Or simply let everyone play through the campaign at their own pace and then meet up in the end-game where the disparity wouldn't matter at all.
Nevermind.

Mortmal

Arcane

You can already see the underlying issues with level scaling in relation to items from the max lvl 20 during server slam. Of course it's not as prominent as higher levels, the best part of D4 is around the 20-25 mark where you still feel a sense of clear progression with items, skills constantly developing and expanding. Then it falls off a damn cliff and you can see how level scaling issues become further apparent by watching high level gameplay. You do know its like the most streamed game right now on Twitch? It's not exactly hard to see gameplay from various stages in the game.
Past level 50 in nightmare mode with legendaries and uniques you start to feel progression more, the legendaries have random stats and affixes but you can combine them and stack everything you need to enhance your build , there you completely break the level scaling and feel more powerful when you combine that with uniques granting like 40% mana reduction for exemple.
I have only like 60 hours in POE , i can say the entertainement/$ value is by far in poe favor since you really only need to pay for more inventory space. But still D4 isnt bad , its more like 7-8/10 game , youtubers were dishonest about diablo 4, as i suspected. Now i can say i am not having trouble respeccing or modifying gear , always have millions of gold and really the gameplay is more or less the exact thing i can get in POE or grimdawn, same feeling, except in POE most of the enemies are killed off screen now. Its a bit prettier and absurdly priced.

Saravan

Savant

Past level 50 in nightmare mode with legendaries and uniques you start to feel progression more, the legendaries have random stats and affixes but you can combine them and stack everything you need to enhance your build , there you completely break the level scaling and feel more powerful when you combine that with uniques granting like 40% mana reduction for exemple.
I have only like 60 hours in POE , i can say the entertainement/$ value is by far in poe favor since you really only need to pay for more inventory space. But still D4 isnt bad , its more like 7-8/10 game , youtubers were dishonest about diablo 4, as i suspected. Now i can say i am not having trouble respeccing or modifying gear , always have millions of gold and really the gameplay is more or less the exact thing i can get in POE or grimdawn, same feeling, except in POE most of the enemies are killed off screen now. Its a bit prettier and absurdly priced.

I don't doubt you can make the right build or leverage good legendaries with the right affixes etc. to outpace the level scaling. I have seen it a thousand times already on streams. That's not the point though, I'm against it for many reasons. For one thing being that it diminishes the value of early game uniques unlike in D2, which I particularly liked about D2. If you say well that doesn't matter because uniques only appear in the two highest item power tiers, then that just means its shit itemisation where you got no uniques at earlier stages. In D2 you had them in different tiers based on difficulty but even some normal/NM uniques were very valuable. Level scaling also homogenizes content as there are no clear zones, so a bear or what have you at level 1 can be as powerful as lvl 99 which ruins immersion for me.

Ratings are personal ofc, but calling it a 7-8 really is weird to me. A 7-8 game is really good in my book and D4 is nowhere near that. It has way too many shallow ARPG mechanics to be anything more than a 5 or 6. It's not enough to have pretty graphics.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
But still D4 isnt bad , its more like 7-8/10 game , youtubers were dishonest about diablo 4, as i suspected.

Yeah, at one point, youtubers seemed to basically mostly be fans and nerds telling you about whatever. These days they're just cheaper game journos, so the devs love them. Pretty obvious when you start looking at stuff like D4 or Age of Wonders 4.

Ya know what? Maybe this game really is a giant piece of shit. I'm starting to constantly feel weaker with each level up. The game is literally getting harder the "stronger" I get. I'm dieing alot now. That's a very big problem.
This is both based and the funniest shit ever. Glad you’re finally seeing the light. Welcome to the party.

I’m honestly convinced Ubisoft could shit out a more compelling Diablo at this point. Nu-Blizz can’t cut the mustard.

Rod Ferguson has now put out a “please be nice” tweet because the response is so negative.

You really nailed it Blizz.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
People aren't "nice" because being "nice" doesn't work on these bubble-dwelling troglodytes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom