Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

So far, feels like a fairly faithful sequel to D2
Yes, the faithful sequel to Diablo 2 with gameplay and systems ripped straight from Diablo 3. All they needed was spooky grafix and +skills on gear to convince people of that.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Skinwalker so how is the game?
So far, feels like a fairly faithful sequel to D2, fwiw. The always-online aspect is annoying (I get kicked out of the game every time I put the console to sleep, and have to log back in and find myself outside of whatever dungeon I was doing), but aside from that it seems like exactly what you'd expect out of Diablo. Controls are decent, and the settings allowed me to customize everything I wanted to change (including removing the outlines on enemies/interactable objects).

I am only a level 10 Rogue currently, though, so my ppinions may evolve substantially as I keep playing.
Does the game have any meaningful death penalty to stop you just zerging to victory like d3? While levelling and not just end game.
I'm playing on the highest difficulty available to me right now (Tier II) and the game seems very easy. Then again, so did Diablo 2 in the beginning of the game.

So far, feels like a fairly faithful sequel to D2
Yes, the faithful sequel to Diablo 2 with gameplay and systems ripped straight from Diablo 3. All they needed was spooky grafix and +skills on gear to convince people of that.
I wouldn't know, I've never touched Diablo 3.

the console
goodfellas-henry-hill.gif
What wrong, Liberal?

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The always-online aspect is bothering me the most, so far. I rapefuse to buy a PS+ subscription (and wouldn't take one if it was offered for free), so the multiplayer functions are turned off for me (which is fine), but I still see other players running around in my game. Chungus6969 just "helped" me defeat an Ice Clan goatman field boss.

Can I set my region match-making to Antarctica, or something? I DON'T WANT OTHER PEOPLE IN MY GAME.

abija

Prophet
Unlike Diablo 2, after you complete the campaign, you don't do it over in harder difficulty worlds. You just complete it once, by level 50 or so, and then once you move on to harder difficulty worlds, you do whatever tickles your pickle and try to level up to 99.

At first, I thought this would lack focus, but there is more than enough shit to keep you engaged.
Yeah... there's a minor asterisk to that. In your "do whatever tickles your pickle" strategy you somehow need to slot several hundred runs of those nightmare dungeons to level your glyphs.

Can I set my region match-making to Antarctica, or something? I DON'T WANT OTHER PEOPLE IN MY GAME.
Can disable crossplay in options somewhere and hope there aren't many ps players around but probably game sold enough.

Diablo 4 has rejected the gayness, at least in terms of art style.
I've seen some male sorcs running around, gayness seems fully embraced.

Last edited:

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
At long last, the legendary author of "Necromancer's Choice" has been vindicated

ReRHyaI.png

Diablo 4 has rejected the gayness, at least in terms of art style.

I recently watched this, I forgot all about the gaslighting faggot Jay "I Never Made an RPG Before" Wilson.

Diablo 4 is still gay, since it is afraid of nipples.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I did, for about 20+ hours. Tried everyone but Rogue.
You played the beta for 20 hours, ie, a demo, which probably wasn't even 5% of the game.
It was pretty much the whole game due to how level scaling works and how all dungeons are the same. We even had access to all the skills in first beta.
Only thing lacking was access to paragon where it is only passive bonuses anyways.

Last edited:

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You played the beta for 20 hours, ie, a demo, which probably wasn't even 5% of the game.
It was pretty much the whole game due to how level scaling works and how all dungeons are the same. We even had access to all the skills in first beta.
Only thing lacking was access to paragon where it is only passive bonuses anyways.
You saw nothing, you know nothing, and you are speaking from your anus.
ass-jim-carrey.gif

You played a demo and you are clueless.

abija

Prophet
What wasn't in the beta:
- tree of whispers: pretty weak by itself but if you do it as side content while doing something else works well
- helltides - bullshit forced fomo mmo style content
- nightmare dungeons - should fire anyone with decision power who was involved in it
(rest of campaign obviously)

Saravan

Savant
This bullshit argument of you having to fund a mediocre product from a nowadays shit company to have an opinion of the game. It's entirely possible to assess something based on reading about it, watching gameplay content and if the option is available, play it during beta to get a feel for things like combat animations etc. You guys are such mouthbreathers.

Peachcurl

Arcane
How to identify review bombing:

rating_average my_rating ± tolerance
fxd
Then you might as well change it to
rating_average my_rating - tolerance.

I allowed for the rating_average to be larger as well (which works, if you see tolerance as a slack variable rather than a fixed constant), which admittedly doesn't quite fit since review bombing is usually called on negative reviews.

What nationality is this guy? Russian? Polish?

"I have to dash FIFTEEN times to upgrade my fucking veppon then I have to dash FIFTEEN more times to upgrade my gem, that's five meanutts off my life..."

It's a game, you idiot. I find it funny your rig is barely capable of maintaining what looks like 40fps in it, too. You would think making all these videos would afford you a better PC.
He is right. From D2 and beyond most shops were close enough to not need more than 10s of travelling.
D4 is a walking/riding simulator
Imagine playing a FPS where you spent 70% time in inventory/shops/skills screens
I don't have to imagine, I have played a lot of Tarkov. You only go out on the silly missions to get more loot in order to play the real game.

KIss My Ass

Patron
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Oh man they really nailed
Andariel
perfectly. I've said it once and I'll say it again this game cannot be compared to D3 from an artistic standpoint. This game feels like it was made by people who have played Diablo and are passionate about it. D3 felt like a game that was made by people who never played a Diablo game in their life. These are not comparable.

ArchAngel

Arcane
What nationality is this guy? Russian? Polish?

"I have to dash FIFTEEN times to upgrade my fucking veppon then I have to dash FIFTEEN more times to upgrade my gem, that's five meanutts off my life..."

It's a game, you idiot. I find it funny your rig is barely capable of maintaining what looks like 40fps in it, too. You would think making all these videos would afford you a better PC.
He is right. From D2 and beyond most shops were close enough to not need more than 10s of travelling.
D4 is a walking/riding simulator
Imagine playing a FPS where you spent 70% time in inventory/shops/skills screens
I don't have to imagine, I have played a lot of Tarkov. You only go out on the silly missions to get more loot in order to play the real game.
You still spend most time walking around areas where you can be shot at at any second and trying to be ready to shoot back. It is still tense fun gameplay. Sure tarkov has more than usual amount of inventory management but it is nothing close to what I am talking about.
Also Tarkov is extraction survival shooter where that is expected, Diablo likes are supposed to be about killing monsters and getting loot. At least it was like that so far. D1 was like that, D2 was like that, D3 was like that and games like PoE or Grim Dawn are like that.
and it would seem biggest time waster for Tarkov is endless wait time for missions to start
What is worse due to how level scaling works, killing monsters in D4 is not recommended unless that monster can also drop good loot. So you are encouraged to skip all overworld monsters and even all normal ones in dungeons and just kill big ones. This means that to play optimally you need to do even less combat and more walking/riding.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
You saw nothing, you know nothing, and you are speaking from your anus.
ass-jim-carrey.gif

You played a demo and you are clueless.
We told you already that when you get drunk you do not need to show us your ass.

abija

Prophet
What is worse due to how level scaling works, killing monsters in D4 is not recommended unless that monster can also drop good loot. So you are encouraged to skip all overworld monsters and even all normal ones in dungeons and just kill big ones.
HUUUUH?

ArchAngel

Arcane
What is worse due to how level scaling works, killing monsters in D4 is not recommended unless that monster can also drop good loot. So you are encouraged to skip all overworld monsters and even all normal ones in dungeons and just kill big ones.
HUUUUH?
It is simple math. Most power comes from loot, leveling up just powers up monsters. So you want to get most loot while killing less monsters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom