Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Just to confirm the game really did fry my GPU. Fortunately it had warranty and they replaced it but damn, it seems they fucked up badly. Never happened to me before.

No game or program can fry gpu. Your gpu was at fault.

Usually what tends to happen is that most of games don't actually utilize most of gpu. Game is either rop bound, memory bandwidth bound, shader bound and other conditions which make gpu run at 100% but not really.
If game comes that actually is well balanced engine wise in all aspects then you get true 100% utilization and this is where faulty gpu can "fry itself" as its fault was hidden by simply gpu not being used in full.

Kind of how CPUs 100% in your game has nothing on AVX512 100%

Either way your gpu bios should have seen temps getting too hot and switch off gpu first if it was poorly cooled. If temps were ok for it then some other part of gpu failed that would fail either way.

Yeah in most cases when a GPU "fries" itself in my experience it's not the cores, but the memory modules. They often don't have a lot of attention to durability, and have no or cheap heat dissipation, which leads to problems under stress. Some particular cards were notorious for this, or particular variants whereas some other aftermarket variants would be very chilly under the same load.

Back in the day I used to swear by MSI having really nice heat dissipation designs, but I have no idea if that's held up over time.
This was HP ZBook with Nvidia Quadro. The GPU was replaced and now everything is OK but yeah...that did happen.
Why is nobody talking about the lack of a Horadric Cube in D4?
I'm actually not playing anymore, just finished the story and moved on, but I do think D2 is stil better.

CountNemo

Literate
until Blizzard gets its shit together
Not gonna happen as long as they're responding to feedback in the worst possible way; which is particularly bad when everything is subject to change. There's no vision.
This is it, and the only reason it's so bad. "Listening to the community" is not a good thing in itself. Having a strong vision is. Diablo 4 is soulless.

Cadmus

Arcane
hey guys so hows D4 ?
I tried it, got a sorc to lvl 54, didn't read any guides or forums or anything whatsoever and I just got bored with the game.
It feels like the game wants me to not have any fun or to not do anything cool.
I played LastEpoch at the same time and while its kinda crappy, you can tell you're supposed to actually be having fun with the game. Definitely a better game than D4 imo.

Zeriel

Arcane
hey guys so hows D4 ?
I tried it, got a sorc to lvl 54, didn't read any guides or forums or anything whatsoever and I just got bored with the game.
It feels like the game wants me to not have any fun or to not do anything cool.
I played LastEpoch at the same time and while its kinda crappy, you can tell you're supposed to actually be having fun with the game. Definitely a better game than D4 imo.

There really isn't much to say. Outside of the campaign, there is no real "meat" there. It's a one-off singleplayer campaign game in a genre notorious for its endgame grinds & longevity. Hell, I'd say I had more fun playing through other singleplayer-focused games in the genre like Victor Vran and Grim Dawn--but that probably has more to do with D4's unfortunate release timing where it has very noticeable cultural markers of the post 2016 era.

Zeriel

Arcane
Grim Dawn is getting an expansion next year apparently

I continue to be annoyed how they have a very obvious refusal to move the main story forward, all expansions after Malmouth are sidecontent. I suppose they might be saving it for a main sequel where you go to the empire's heartlands, but they equally seem tired of Grim Dawn and wanting to do other stuff, so...

I'd fucking kill and throw my entire wallet at them for a proper focus on the original conflict and bringing it to a head, but sadly they seem totally disinterested in doing that.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I continue to be annoyed how they have a very obvious refusal to move the main story forward, all expansions after Malmouth are sidecontent. I suppose they might be saving it for a main sequel where you go to the empire's heartlands, but they equally seem tired of Grim Dawn and wanting to do other stuff, so...

I'd fucking kill and throw my entire wallet at them for a proper focus on the original conflict and bringing it to a head, but sadly they seem totally disinterested in doing that.

In their recent video (that they announced the new expansion pack) they said that they wanted to move the story forward in GD2 and want to save a lot of stuff for it.
I think they got good money from the cty builder and now can run wild with GD2.
Colour me
Fabulously Optimistic

Zeriel

Arcane

In their recent video (that they announced the new expansion pack) they said that they wanted to move the story forward in GD2 and want to save a lot of stuff for it.
I think they got good money from the cty builder and now can run wild with GD2.
Colour me
Fabulously Optimistic

Yeah that was my suspicion originally, but they were giving the impression for a while they never wanted to do a sequel. If they do, I'd be pumped for that.

Anomander

Scholar
Disclaimer - haven't read this topic.
I started playing this and it is so weird game that I don't even know what to say. With each level I am weaker. Like what the fuck. On level 5 (or 8) it took one fireball to kill some dudes. Now (around level 20) the same dudes takes 5 fireballs and still live. Leveling skills does almost nothing (difference is marginal).
I cannot understand how they could break the main point of these games - leveling. Well, I can, but who thought this is fun?

Microsoft should just give Diablo to the Vicarious Visions team that made that Diablo 2 remake. Just build a Diablo 5 on the back of the Diablo 2 systems, maybe return to the dungeon roots of Diablo 1, and swap in new classes for the game. They could probably turn out a new Diablo that way about as fast as they did Diablo 2: Resurrected, and still bring in the kind of profits Diablo does; which, from Wikipedia: Diablo IV generated $666 million in revenue within the first five days after launch.[86] Diablo IV reached 12 million players by August 2023 [87].

This Diablo as a forever game bullshit is just fucking moronic. They spent around a decade developing Diablo 4, and while the upfront sales were great, it seems the idea of it being some games as a service thing is dead. And to turn that around they’re going to waste the money they made trying to dig the game out of the hole they created so Diablo 4 can be in a place where people want to dump more money into it. Meanwhile, Vicarious Visions made Resurrected in around 2 years. Theoretically, Vicarious Visions could maybe do a new Diablo every 2 to 3 years, and be making Diablo 4 sales money on them every 2 to 3 years instead of every 10 years.

Imagine spending years designing a live service game with the sole purpose of retaining players to drive MTX and people universally reject it. It must be soul crushing.

Microsoft should just give Diablo to the Vicarious Visions team that made that Diablo 2 remake.
They did already. They even complained of too much crunch. Turns out a new game is harder than remastering and tweaking an old one.

I haven’t seen anything about Vicarious Visions taking over Diablo. Diablo 4 was made by Team 3, Vicarious Visions I think only served as a support studio on Diablo 4. Although it looks like the head of the Diablo 2 remake from VV already left Blizzard.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron

abija

Prophet
I haven’t seen anything about Vicarious Visions taking over Diablo. Diablo 4 was made by Team 3, Vicarious Visions I think only served as a support studio on Diablo 4. Although it looks like the head of the Diablo 2 remake from VV already left Blizzard.
They got renamed in early 2022 to Blizzard Albany and moved to D4 (they were hiring for D4 positions at least).

hey guys so hows D4 ?
Player counts dropped dramatically and the entire discussion surrounding the game is that it sucks and is dead.
Imagine spending years designing a live service game with the sole purpose of retaining players to drive MTX and people universally reject it. It must be soul crushing.
SDG still plays and pays, doesn't he?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the remaining player base are people with substance abuse problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom