Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Zeriel

Arcane
Imagine spending years designing a live service game with the sole purpose of retaining players to drive MTX and people universally reject it. It must be soul crushing.

Eh I'd imagine it's just life as usual in the corporate machine. They get paid either way, the only people annoyed are the shareholders/top dogs, it's not like artist number #5,089 or even lead gameplay designer gets a fat million dollar check when the MTX sells more.

They have their mandate to include the stuff, but it's analogous to a retail slave's orders to always thank the shopper for shopping--just something they have to do.

abija

Prophet
Go through their credits on moby games, see how many you find with "years" on D4.

As for shareholders, D4 so far was a success. If it fails later it will be discarded or repurposed, no biggie. D3 was supposed to be an entire different thing than it ended up for example.

Probably suits have meetings now how to get some of that sweet bg3 romance action in the game.

Zeriel

Arcane
Go through their credits on moby games, see how many you find with "years" on D4.

As for shareholders, D4 so far was a success. If it fails later it will be discarded, no biggie. D3 was supposed to be an entire different thing than it ended up for example.

I suspect that has more to do with old workers choosing to leave Blizzard because they were used to being allowed to make quality products and not put profit before everything else. Most of the top designers on Diablo 4 were indeed lowbies in the Diablo 3 hierarchy, but they were there before. And considering the timeframes involved, we're talking about people with decade-long careers at Blizzard. They just moved up when all the old top people quit out of what I think we can safely presume is disgust and/or exhaustion.

abija

Prophet
Sure... point still stands: nobody poured his soul for years in that live service game to be disgruntled when it fails.

I haven’t seen anything about Vicarious Visions taking over Diablo. Diablo 4 was made by Team 3, Vicarious Visions I think only served as a support studio on Diablo 4. Although it looks like the head of the Diablo 2 remake from VV already left Blizzard.
They got renamed in early 2022 to Blizzard Albany and moved to D4 (they were hiring for D4 positions at least).

Yeah, I know that. They were transferred over to the Blizzard brand after the Diablo 2 remake. But they’re just a support studio on Diablo 4, not the main team making the game. Diablo 4 was made by a group called Team 3, and they’d been developing Diablo 4 since 2016 when development on their previous Diablo 4 (Project Hades) ended. Vicarious Visions only gets involved in D4 in like the final year of development, and its not like they take over the project.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if in the very near future Microsoft moves them back out of Blizzard and their name goes back to being Vicarious Visions.

abija

Prophet
They moved all of them to D4, you can't have them "take over" since they don't have enough people. You're arguing semantics, the suits already had the idea of having the people that made D2R work on D4 and did it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Devs very rarely do. This shouldn't come as a surprise.
Everyone knows this, but few people are stupid enough to choose someone who doesn't have the slightest idea about their own game. This makes developers look like a bunch of morons.
Yes. "Look like" a bunch of morons.

To be fair, this is the only way that Assmongoloid can appear to be the intelligent one in his videos.

abija

Prophet
It's fine if some devs didn't touch a game in their life, but not in this case. Going by what they say in the video (which could be total lies ofc), the dyke playtests and then adjusts content based on that. She shouldn't be at that level of (in)competence.

RolePlayer

Augur
Everyone knows this, but few people are stupid enough to choose someone who doesn't have the slightest idea about their own game. This makes developers look like a bunch of morons.
Agreed. it also just makes blizzard look completely out of touch. lol @ them using a controller/gamepad instead of M&K too. It's almost like Blizz is purposely trying to troll their ex fans/customers.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Agreed. it also just makes blizzard look completely out of touch. lol @ them using a controller/gamepad instead of M&K too. It's almost like Blizz is purposely trying to troll their ex fans/customers.
what do you mean? sdg, their biggest fan on codex, plays on console too.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anybody seen the latest blizz embarrassment?

Diablo devs don't even know how to play their own game lol
I've never watched anything by him before but I got another recommendation after having seen that:

If you watch the first minute he reacts to the obviously made up number of 6 million+ people as the peak player count. It's interesting that the fake number is 6 million of all numbers that they could have went with. What's up with that? Might have to watch more Asmongold to find out...

whoa its coming to steam? Have they ever done that before? I thought I logged into the wrong thing when I clicked steam and Diablo IV popped up,,,I have no bought or played it, will it cost $70 dollars or some shit?

ADL

Prophet
whoa its coming to steam? Have they ever done that before? I thought I logged into the wrong thing when I clicked steam and Diablo IV popped up,,,I have no bought or played it, will it cost $70 dollars or some shit?
Overwatch 2 is on Steam too. Wouldn't be surprised if WoW and Hearthstone hits steam at Blizzcon this year. I'm guessing D4 will go on sale coinciding with the Season 2 launch for $54

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom