Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Zeriel

Arcane
Lol, they fucked up again. And again. Latest new "bug" is a doozy. So they introduced a streamer mode to D4 in S2... but they also introduced, apparently semi related but also unrelated, a "feature" whereby no matter what your account settings are, your real life name appears next to your character name when you look at yourself in a clan. Allegedly this doesn't show to other players (although there are reports of it doing so despite them having realid turned off), but it does always show to yourself, so anyone who happens to stream or take a screenshot without turning on streamer mode is doxxing themselves. Not to mention the just... basic immersion and preference factor of most people not wanting to see their real name plastered next to their fantasy character.

For obvious reasons I won't be showing a screenshot of this, but it's out there. Looking it up, apparently this is something that has some history. I do of course remember the debacle that initially got them to stop using realid back in 2010 (their own employee got doxed for trying to prove it was no big deal), but there's been more recent stuff where in Call of Duty some streamer got doxxed by ingame chat showing the realid name when it wasn't supposed to, etc. I'm honestly shocked they're still trying to make this a thing, it's a great way for them to run afoul of privacy laws considering they never ask you if you want it and just throw it on by default.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Lol, they fucked up again. And again. Latest new "bug" is a doozy. So they introduced a streamer mode to D4 in S2... but they also introduced, apparently semi related but also unrelated, a "feature" whereby no matter what your account settings are, your real life name appears next to your character name when you look at yourself in a clan. Allegedly this doesn't show to other players (although there are reports of it doing so despite them having realid turned off), but it does always show to yourself, so anyone who happens to stream or take a screenshot without turning on streamer mode is doxxing themselves. Not to mention the just... basic immersion and preference factor of most people not wanting to see their real name plastered next to their fantasy character.
How do they even have the people's real names?

Peachcurl

Cipher
From their battle net account, I'd assume? Probably not all of those are actual real names, but yeah.

Zeriel

Arcane
From their battle net account, I'd assume? Probably not all of those are actual real names, but yeah.

Most people have them on there. From credit cards, subscriptions, etc. It's really hard to actually make real world financial payments without exposing a real identity, unless you regularly engage in fraud and use other people's names.

That's what makes what Blizzard did (and is still doing, it seems) so wild, though. Usually companies at least try to present a facade of trying to protect people's private details that have to be exposed when making purchases and verifying their identity. Turning around and without permission just throwing that information out to the public is still enough to piss people off. It's one thing if your business model is "We are the place to put your family networks" ala Facebook, but there is no real expectation when you sign up to play Overwatch or Diablo that you are also signing up to have your real name shown to millions of strangers because Blizzard decides it is anti-toxic.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Why would anyone enter their real name into a battle.net account?!
wtfamireading.png

FYI, you don't need to enter any name for online credit card purchases, either. ABC XYZ is sufficient. And it's not fraud.

Zeriel

Arcane
Merchants are supposed to verify your identity with the billing address, which includes your name. If you've never had a transaction declined while entering bunk info, I don't know what to say... I've had them declined for entering my address slightly differently from the usual format.

is this game worth getting? Have been playing Grim Dawn again, building up a character in anticipation for the new GD DLC that is going to release, is this worth it? Compared to Grim Dawn how does it compare? really GD is the only type of game like this I ever have enjoyed, I keep trying others, but they seem to suck..lol..I have like 1400 hours in GD though, would like to find some other game..

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
is this game worth getting? Have been playing Grim Dawn again, building up a character in anticipation for the new GD DLC that is going to release, is this worth it? Compared to Grim Dawn how does it compare? really GD is the only type of game like this I ever have enjoyed, I keep trying others, but they seem to suck..lol..I have like 1400 hours in GD though, would like to find some other game..
It is better than drim gawn in every conceivable and several inconceivable ways.

Myobi

Liturgist
People moaning and begging others to stop posting negative reviews on steam on this fucking thing is killing me :P

abija

Prophet

If GD was the only game in the genre you liked, don't spend money on D4.

Lucumo

Educated

Most people have them on there. From credit cards, subscriptions, etc. It's really hard to actually make real world financial payments without exposing a real identity, unless you regularly engage in fraud and use other people's names.

That's what makes what Blizzard did (and is still doing, it seems) so wild, though. Usually companies at least try to present a facade of trying to protect people's private details that have to be exposed when making purchases and verifying their identity. Turning around and without permission just throwing that information out to the public is still enough to piss people off. It's one thing if your business model is "We are the place to put your family networks" ala Facebook, but there is no real expectation when you sign up to play Overwatch or Diablo that you are also signing up to have your real name shown to millions of strangers because Blizzard decides it is anti-toxic.
There is cash for the real world and stuff like paysafecard for the virtual one.

Back in the day, most of my classmates who used Fecesbook just used abbreviated and/or half-fake names there.

It is better than drim gawn in every conceivable and several inconceivable ways.
wow, really? That would genuinely make me happy, because I have tried a lot of these games and they mostly seem to suck.

If GD was the only game in the genre you liked, don't spend money on D4.
:negative:

why though?

Zeriel

Arcane

There is cash for the real world and stuff like paysafecard for the virtual one.

Back in the day, most of my classmates who used Fecesbook just used abbreviated and/or half-fake names there.

Yeah. The thing with Facebook is they create ghost accounts for family members, so if your family members use it for its real purpose, you are technically part of the Big Brother network. Photos they take, you are marked, etc. The whole thing is built like the government's wet dream (because it is).

Elttharion

Learned
Why would anyone enter their real name into a battle.net account?!
wtfamireading.png

FYI, you don't need to enter any name for online credit card purchases, either. ABC XYZ is sufficient. And it's not fraud.
Blizzard used to ask your real name and a picture from an official document when you needed to recover or unblock an account. At least they did 10 years ago when mine got blocked because I traveled a lot and kept logging from different IPs and networks. They refused to reactivate it unless I sent then a picture of my ID card and a bunch of other stuff.

What exactly did you like about GD; and what was missing from the other games in the genre you tried?

And no, D4 definitely is not better than GD in every conceivable way.
I liked the building of the charters, I liked that it had a story the 1st time you played and the little well written notes etc...I liked the world, I liked they kept adding stuff to it even now and balancing the game so that all types of builds are fun to try. I guess the character building, world, mood, items, pace, how combat 'felt'..

I tried Path of Exile a few times but never really liked it...
I did like Torchlight 2 enough to finish it actually, liked it better than Path of Exile
I played Titan Quest for 60 hours, so I did like it, but I never finished all of the expansions I don't think, I doubt I would go back to it unless they made a sequel..
I did like Diablo 2 back in the day..
Diablo 3 felt like it was on railroads, like no exploration or something and it was really easy, I only played like 15 hours.,..maybe it gets better? I stopped playing

Then there are a bunch of others I played for 10-30 hours but never really liked..a Warhammer 40k one I played way too much for how dumb it was...Victor Vran, and a similar one and they looked cool but when I actually played them they had a weird camera angle while playing that made it annoying to play. I was hoping Last Epoch was going to be good, played it for like 15 minutes and immediately refunded. There were a couple of others like that too...Lost Ark is one...

Anyway, maybe someday somebody will make one almost as good as Grim Dawn...I guess Path of Exile 2 is going to come out sometime soon, I suppose I will give that a shot..

Lucumo

Educated

Yeah. The thing with Facebook is they create ghost accounts for family members, so if your family members use it for its real purpose, you are technically part of the Big Brother network. Photos they take, you are marked, etc. The whole thing is built like the government's wet dream (because it is).
No family member is. And uploading private photos to show to the world would be an even bigger step. Never understood that...but then again, I'm no narcissistic person. I think I have a ghost account on LinkedIn though because a former classmate shared her email address book...
But yeah, the data tentacles are everywhere.

Zeriel

Arcane

No family member is. And uploading private photos to show to the world would be an even bigger step. Never understood that...but then again, I'm no narcissistic person. I think I have a ghost account on LinkedIn though because a former classmate shared her email address book...
But yeah, the data tentacles are everywhere.

A bunch of my family members use it to keep in touch with each other and share photos of babies and yada yada. I don't get it either, but obviously the company knows what it is doing, way too many people are willing to trade freedom and privacy for convenience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom