Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

Zerginfestor

Learned
-Lilith is bad gal for some reason.
She always was. The nephalim were created to help her fuck Heaven & Hell and rule over creation. That's why she protects humans at all costs, not because she loves them.
That dude in there was NOT Rathma
That's not entirely surprising. Rathma fucking hates Lilith with a passion. it'd be weirder if it was him resurrecting her.

Since when was her urge was to rule over creation? I thought she just wanted to wipe out Burning Hells and High Heavens because of the constant warring is just never ending and so tiresome.

Sentinel

Arcane
She always was. The nephalim were created to help her fuck Heaven & Hell and rule over creation. That's why she protects humans at all costs, not because she loves them.
That's not entirely surprising. Rathma fucking hates Lilith with a passion. it'd be weirder if it was him resurrecting her.

Since when was her urge was to rule over creation? I thought she just wanted to wipe out Burning Hells and High Heavens because of the constant warring is just never ending and so tiresome.
Ever since she went nuclear on Inarius for even considering killing the nephalem - her tool to end the eternal conflict.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
The runes are now (passive) skills from PoE basically.

Would´t expect something like Herold of Thunder/Curse on Hit/Enfeeble-Flammability from Blizzard. Just boring shit...more crit, reduced cooldown...bla, bla...

Anyone else find these "family reaction video" channels to be super creepy?

Thats the target customer....

Interesting builds like Righteous fire/totem builds where damage scales with totem life or a lightning trap triggers Elemental Equilibrium...thats to complex for the Blizzard/Diablo/Youtube reaction crowd.

What bothers me the most is the lack of attributes and resistances

Zerginfestor

Learned

Would´t expect something like Herold of Thunder/Curse on Hit/Enfeeble-Flammability from Blizzard. Just boring shit...more crit, reduced cooldown...bla, bla...

Interesting builds like Righteous fire/totem builds where damage scales with totem life or a lightning trap triggers Elemental Equilibrium...thats to complex for the Blizzard/Diablo/Youtube reaction crowd.

well we don't know that for sure if they're really that inept. We don't know if they meant "LOL RUNEWURDZ" and it's just us putting an activation rune and shitton of 'when activated increase passive lol" or it's going to allow some crazier shit like before.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Ever since she went nuclear on Inarius for even considering killing the nephalem - her tool to end the eternal conflict.
I only played vanilla D3, I don't remember this lore there. Is this from expansions?

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

well we don't know that for sure if they're really that inept. We don't know if they meant "LOL RUNEWURDZ" and it's just us putting an activation rune and shitton of 'when activated increase passive lol" or it's going to allow some crazier shit like before.
yeah...but why activate something like "-50% fire res on enemies" when you don´t have res? or evade, armor, max.block....only attack, defense, life...

Zerginfestor

Learned

yeah...but why activate something like "-50% fire res on enemies" when you don´t have res? or evade, armor, max.block....only attack, defense, life...
again, we don't know that. In the blizzcon, they did speak of Resistances (even though we did see Defense and Attack and Life which is ridiculous) and stating it would be in the game, but considering this is barely scraped together (this thing will undoubtedly be in development for easily half a decade, if not more), I'm not gonna hold my breath on either side. Hell, they shown "crit chance", but we can't even get that on our armor and shit, so who knows.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Diablo ALWAYS was more simplistic than the other games of the same age. On 90s, compare Diablo 1 with Ultima, Might & Magic, etc. On earlier 00s, compare Diablo 2 with Morrowind, Gothic, etc. That said, the huge decline of Diablo 3 was a reflection of the late 00s , other games dumbed down/declined too in that time. Sacred 3, Elder Scrolls, Gothic 4 Arcania, etc. That said, there are no way that a AAA game will be inclined to earlier 00s. I was not expecting a Souls like attribute system but at least 3 attributes, STR, ENERGY and DEX should exist and they should affect more things, eg, STR gives fire, cold resist, increased crushing blows chance, increased melee damage(applies to werewolf druid) etc, DEX gives projectile speed(applies to bone spear), running speed, rate of fire with ranged weapons and lightning resistance, ENERGY gives %damage goes to mana, raw magical damage resist, increased spell damage, ec

About resistances, i would love to see then back not as percentage, but as a flat amount. Eg, a imp has 40 fire resist and 0 cold resist, a 50 damage frost bolt will deal 50 damage and a 50 damage flame arrow will deal 10 damage.

It makes much more sense IMO than any weak fire being able to damage a Pit Fiend...

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

Diablo ALWAYS was more simplistic than the other games of the same age. On 90s, compare Diablo 1 with Ultima, Might & Magic, etc. On earlier 00s, compare Diablo 2 with Morrowind, Gothic, etc. That said, the huge decline of Diablo 3 was a reflection of the late 00s , other games dumbed down/declined too in that time. Sacred 3, Elder Scrolls, Gothic 4 Arcania, etc. That said, there are no way that a AAA game will be inclined to earlier 00s. I was not expecting a Souls like attribute system but at least 3 attributes, STR, ENERGY and DEX should exist and they should affect more things, eg, STR gives fire, cold resist, increased crushing blows chance, increased melee damage(applies to werewolf druid) etc, DEX gives projectile speed(applies to bone spear), running speed, rate of fire with ranged weapons and lightning resistance, ENERGY gives %damage goes to mana, raw magical damage resist, increased spell damage, ec

About resistances, i would love to see then back not as percentage, but as a flat amount. Eg, a imp has 40 fire resist and 0 cold resist, a 50 damage frost bolt will deal 50 damage and a 50 damage flame arrow will deal 10 damage.

It makes much more sense IMO than any weak fire being able to damage a Pit Fiend...

you can´t compare Diablo with Ultima or MM...beside that Ultima has quite simple game mechanics, always had.
Sacred 3 - not made by Ascaron
Gothic 4 - not made by PB

Compare Sacred 1 to Sacred 2, not really dumbed down. We even got those res crystal thingis (leftcorner) and adjustable talents (attack skills)
Compare TQ to GD, no dumbing down

It´s only Diablo. It sells better that way.

abija

Prophet

Bitch pls, flat values are the root of all evil in complex combat systems. Doesn't help that apparently these systems designers seem to be bad at math (since some of the really broken stuff is obvious from a cursory look at patch notes).

Then you top it off with "making sense". GTFO.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Diablo ALWAYS was more simplistic than the other games of the same age. On 90s, compare Diablo 1 with Ultima, Might & Magic, etc. On earlier 00s, compare Diablo 2 with Morrowind, Gothic, etc.

Apples to oranges.

Diablo was a rouge-like but in real time with graphix. If you want to judge how much of a decline it was, you have to compare it to the genre it hijacked, not with other kind of RPGs. We could probably call it rouge-lite, all though the lack of perma-death allowed them to expand on the whole loot thing so it sort of morphed into it's own thing.

But really, Diablo was basically a rouge-like streamlined for mass consumption. It never had much substance but it had some really impressive fluff. Diablo 3 was such a fuck up because they made the game even MORE insubstantial and fucked up the fluff completely.

Last edited:

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Diablo ALWAYS was more simplistic than the other games of the same age. On 90s, compare Diablo 1 with Ultima, Might & Magic, etc. On earlier 00s, compare Diablo 2 with Morrowind, Gothic, etc.

Apples to oranges.

Diablo was a rouge-like but in real time with graphix. If you want to judge how much of a decline it was, you have to compare it to the genre it hijacked, not with other kind of RPGs. We could probably call it rouge-lite, all though the lack of perma-death allowed them to expand on the whole loot thing so it sort of morphed into it's own thing.

But really, Diablo was basically a rouge-like streamlined for mass consumption. It never had much substance but it had some really impressive fluff. Diablo 3 was such a fuck up because they made the game even MORE insubstantial and fucked up the fluff completely.
Yes, Diablo shares more with Angband, Rogue, Temple of Apshai (maybe Cadaver/Immortal) than with the grand three.

Razor

Arcane
All this flat chested Lilith degeneracy is making me want to install PoE again. This is what a Lilith is supposed to look like:

queen-atziri-path-of-exile-sacrifice-of-the-vaal.jpg

Not two, but FOUR big titties. You know, cause every healthy male needs a respectable dose of eroticism in their genocide simulators.

Anyway, how are things in Australia Wraelcast in this time and age? Last logged in 2017. Crit poison dagger still workable? Not asking about the flavour of the month cookie cutters, just crit poison dagger used to be my favourite base to build on.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Anyway, how are things in Australia Wraelcast in this time and age? Last logged in 2017. Crit poison dagger still workable? Not asking about the flavour of the month cookie cutters, just crit poison dagger used to be my favourite base to build on.

Crit doesn't work on poison anymore, there is keystone though that lowers your damage for crit to work again with poison, bleed etc.
As for how generally things go. Game went from Zoom to Zoom Zoom and now if you don't do huge aoe damage you will not have fun.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
In the gameplay demo, they had a naked female statue or something, so nudity seems to be in, if that's necessary for your grim dark needs.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Interesting builds like totem builds
:philosoraptor:
.....yeah....so many games that allow totem play....
Besides that: Righteous Fire Totems with Lightning Trap/Elemental Equlibrium/Ancestral Bond is an interesting build. Because it´s simple. 5link, totem life jewels is all you need...cheap, easy, powerfull. So, maybe 20-40 Chaos?
Thats more INTERESTING than every 50 ex build

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
itch pls, flat values are the root of all evil in complex combat systems. Doesn't help that apparently these systems designers seem to be bad at math (since some of the really broken stuff is obvious from a cursory look at patch notes).

Then you top it off with "making sense". GTFO.

Not true. Most DR on D&D is flat amount and is not complex.

ou can´t compare Diablo with Ultima or MM...beside that Ultima has quite simple game mechanics, always had.
Sacred 3 - not made by Ascaron
Gothic 4 - not made by PB

You are right. But only to nitpick, Diablo 3/4 was made by Irvine Blizzard, not Blizzard North. Anyway, there are no cooldown on gothic 3, but there are it on Risen 3, PB dumbed down games too but in a smaller scale, and the dumbed down isn't restricted to spell casting. On melee too, Risen 3 is far worse than any Gothic game, including the stunlockfest who is G3....

Shadenuat

Arcane
D2 had traps, Grim Dawn has just well totems
shooty things you put and run around are not new and, in all honesty, are not interesting.
It trivializes combat since you don't even have to aim at enemies. ARPGs need less of this.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
D2 had traps, Grim Dawn has just well totems
shooty things you put and run around are not new and, in all honesty, are not interesting.
It trivializes combat since you don't even have to aim at enemies. ARPGs need less of this.

As i said, it´s interesting because it´s cheap. And that is somewhat (unfortunately) important in POE. And i fucking never found a single fucking exalted in any fucking league. Glad i stopped with this fucking fucker.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I found a few but I played SSF.

I played lightning crit and eventually stopped out of boredom.

Magic, traps, it's all so overpowered and combat is such a routine. I had more fun playing Diablo 1 again with no mana regen and slow walking.

Like someone posted here D2 channel with speedruns. I checked on assa speedrun. Burst of speed + boots = no monster even comes close to player speed. Enemies are worthless.
This is where action RPGs died and combat became just a formality. Just something you test your new skills and builds on.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Diablo was designed to be a game for casuals from the very first entry.
Also, the original design document from Diablo essentially had the idea of DLC with full intent of selling the game piecemeal to milk as much money as possible.
A573mhH.png

Sentinel

Arcane

I only played vanilla D3, I don't remember this lore there. Is this from expansions?
no it's from the sin war books.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom