Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Blizzard used to have the best cinematics in the industry

even HotS which came later

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
This is the most boring livestream of all time.

I almost feel like that thumbnail is an ad for Monster Energy drink. Are those any good? I never had one.

You have Adderall/desoxyn/crystal meth in USA. Much better than caffeine+sugar.
Imagine meth fueled dual wielding ratslayer on a rampage.
:shredder:
This trailer is bad, I wonder how many people still play d4 compared to first 3 months.

Edit: this but slaying rats instead of fences.

How many cops does it take to restrain a nigga? Let's ask Mr. Owl.

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight... oh my! I lost count. <shrugs>. The world may never know. HOOT! HOOT!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Speaking of owls. You know some occult and mythology relates owls to Lilith. I take it there were no owls or owl beasts in this game?

ferratilis

Magister
When Infinitron posts...
1*1LPBUmm5gjoDfet6AzMf1A.gif

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am not giving Blizzard $ for their shit game. Unless this also comes to game pass I am skipping it. I will rather give money to GGG to get into PoE2 beta

ArchAngel

Arcane

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Unpopular opinion: Diablo IV is pretty good. For starters it it the only ARPG that doesn't run like crap. Which brings me to...

Blizzard used to have the best cinematics in the industry

even HotS which came later

WIth Diablo IV Blizzard is trying to return to their roots which for the most part is successful. The story is way better than that of Diablo II, only suffering from the meanwhile immensely expanded universe. The introduction of Mephisto into the series is stellar, even meaningful world changing choices & consequences are to be had just like the RPGCodex loves 'em. Overall the story was good enough that I was interested to know what comes next over the duration of the entire campaign.

It appears that the days of George Lucas presents^TM Starcraft 2^TM and George Lucas presents^TM Diablo III^TM are largely over at Blizzard. (anecdotally, for my music playlist I once made myself two remixes by cutting and pasting the Star Wars ending theme to the respective end of the final movies of these two games. Do it, you'll understand what I mean.) The cutscenes are dark and gritty and where EPIC!!1 is attempted it is more in the overexaggerated style we knows from Starcraft/Broodwar and Warhammer 40k which fits the world of Diablo very well.

The music score is exceptional and ties into the overall atmosphere very well. Apparently much work was spent into tying the music to whatever is currently happening on the screen. It appears as if the generic whining about 'Diablo III lacks atmosphere' was largely successful.

Gameplay is a fluid banger, 60 FPS everywhere regardless of monster count on the screen. Take note LE and PoE: This is how games are supposed to be delivered. 60. FPS. Always. Blizzard putting the standard where it belongs again.
Combat has a good oomph to it, spells are fun, loots a-plenty and the OST does the rest.

I only have got two points of critique:
* Monster variety could be higher. A bit more time for the artists to come up with something else than generic evil goat-man would do the game very well, even if just exists to be deleted from your screen in under a second. It's just lazy. The same laziness is also noticeable with the overworld level design, the game has five regions but only three different biomes (the swamp is too much of a lazy rehash of the highlands for me to count it)
* Build variety is lackluster compared to PoE or LE. But that was never a strength of the Diablo series so eh.

My final rating: Diablo IV is best Diablo.

Yosharian

Arcane
Unpopular opinion: Diablo IV is pretty good. For starters it it the only ARPG that doesn't run like crap.
It's not. It's really bad. It plays like an MMO. There's fetch quests everywhere, the quests are boring, the NPCs are boring, everything is generic and lame, the gameplay has barely iterated on D3 I mean it's just D3 with a new coat of paint (nice paint admittedly), the story is lame as fuck, the fact that it's an MMO adds barely anything and in fact is a detriment to a lot of players such as myself

It's a bad game

POE2 is going to rip off its head and shit down its neck when it eventually launches

ferratilis

Magister
There's more to an ARPG than sights and sounds: itemization, progression, map design, class design, drop chances that make playing the game actually feel rewarding etc. Just based on the recently announced changes to D4 shows the game completely missed the point of what and ARPG is supposed to be from launch until now. And even with the right steps they're taking, they still won't dethrone D2. The only arpgs that got close were PoE and GD, D4 is so vastly different in its game design that it doesn't even warrant a comparison.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Unpopular opinion: Diablo IV is pretty good. For starters it it the only ARPG that doesn't run like crap.
It's not. It's really bad. It plays like an MMO. There's fetch quests everywhere, the quests are boring, the NPCs are boring, everything is generic and lame, the gameplay has barely iterated on
So it is like Diablo II you say?

There's more to an ARPG than sights and sounds: itemization, progression, map design, class design, drop chances that make playing the game actually feel rewarding etc.
All of which is better in IV than in II.

ferratilis

Magister
All of which is better in IV than in II.
Nigger, are you aware they had an entire season named "Loot Reborn," as in "we know our itemization sucks, so we will do our best to improve it" and it's still not good enough so they're overhauling it when the expansion comes out. As for progression, just look at the announced changes, if you can't deduce from it that the entire progression system was terrible, then you're retarded. But then again, you like D4, so it makes sense.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Nigger, are you aware they had an entire season named "Loot Reborn,"
No, I only bought this recently. I don't buy on launch day and wait for a sale.

"we know our itemization sucks, so we will do our best to improve it" and it's still not good enough so they're overhauling it when the expansion comes out.

So you're saying they're doing their job? What is your complain specifically? Can you give concrete examples?

Overall I find the 'itemization' or whatever is competent enough for this style of game.

just look at the announced changes, if you can't deduce from it that the entire progression system was terrible, then you're retarded

I am a simple man. I want to slaughter demons and earn shiny loot in muh Diablo games. In Diablo IV I can do that. What do you feel is missing from the 'progression system' specifically?

ferratilis

Magister
No, I only bought this recently. I don't buy on launch day and wait for a sale.
In that case, you don't know how bad it was previously. You'd get tons of boring items with shitty modifiers that completely killed the joy of finding new items. In a game based around... finding loot. Reading tooltips with a bunch of shitty flat bonuses makes you want to stop playing.

As for progression, it's the same problem that D3 had, artificial sense of progression through stat bloat, where you would see crazy numbers in endgame that didn't feel meaningful while playing.

When you're playing D2, you're constantly finding stuff that is useful and interesting, which keeps you want to play more, D4 gets boring very fast, even in its current state.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom