Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

motherfucker

Educated
Endgame consists of 1(one) dungeon and upgrade system that isn't required for anything except for that dungeon. Uber unique farming(pre-S4 endgame) can hardly qualify as such now that you're showered with summon mats.

abija

Prophet
They have 7 bosses, nightmare dungeons, pit, the gimmick ladder thingie and whatever seasonal shit is going on in the open world (or helltides). As I said the content is there. The fact that you end up only farming pit is the absolute failure of the designers.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They have 7 bosses, nightmare dungeons, pit, the gimmick ladder thingie and whatever seasonal shit is going on in the open world (or helltides). As I said the content is there. The fact that you end up only farming pit is the absolute failure of the designers.
7 bosses that need some component that never dropped and I brought two characters to lvl 100.. apparently it only drops from pit lvl 30+ or something which means there is only pit farming as endgame and that got boring after doing 5 pits. I brought two characters to 100 and quit.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
Honestly, the writing is worse than D3. D3 is just a generic silly cartoon fantasy. D4 tries to pretend be look dark and edgy, but it's actually filled with bunch of stupid and illogical plot twists.
While the writing in D4 is pretty bad especially for a few of the characters (lorath and the girl who's name I forgot) I still find it much better than D3. Not a high bar to reach but at least D4 was somewhat interesting and had *some* interesting plot hooks that I remember positively like the guy being absorbed into the tree in act 2 (?), the tree of whispers and the whole sequence in the swamp, Inarius being a genuine asshole, Mephisto (even though that "plot twist" was so visible). I also think Lilith's character was somewhat interesting though I've seen this is a pretty hot take.
D3 on the other hand, the only "memorable" moments are because of how horrible the writing was. Deckard Cain and Leah are the obvious ones alongside whatever the fuck Belial was (Lord of lies my ass). I could write a fucking essay on how bad and uninteresting the whole nephalem plotline was.
The one thing that I remember from d3 positively is the cutscene with tyrael vs imperius. If the game tried to be less serious in the story department (and no, unicorn island doesn't count) and had more action shlock like that I would've liked the game better.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Honestly, the writing is worse than D3. D3 is just a generic silly cartoon fantasy. D4 tries to pretend be look dark and edgy, but it's actually filled with bunch of stupid and illogical plot twists.
While the writing in D4 is pretty bad especially for a few of the characters (lorath and the girl who's name I forgot) I still find it much better than D3. Not a high bar to reach but at least D4 was somewhat interesting and had *some* interesting plot hooks that I remember positively like the guy being absorbed into the tree in act 2 (?), the tree of whispers and the whole sequence in the swamp, Inarius being a genuine asshole, Mephisto (even though that "plot twist" was so visible). I also think Lilith's character was somewhat interesting though I've seen this is a pretty hot take.
D3 on the other hand, the only "memorable" moments are because of how horrible the writing was. Deckard Cain and Leah are the obvious ones alongside whatever the fuck Belial was (Lord of lies my ass). I could write a fucking essay on how bad and uninteresting the whole nephalem plotline was.
The one thing that I remember from d3 positively is the cutscene with tyrael vs imperius. If the game tried to be less serious in the story department (and no, unicorn island doesn't count) and had more action shlock like that I would've liked the game better.
I don't even know how I feel about this. It's like trying to decide whether you'd prefer the diarrhea slurry you're sucking back to be smooth or to have some chunks.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
I don't even know how I feel about this. It's like trying to decide whether you'd prefer the diarrhea slurry you're sucking back to be smooth or to have some chunks.
I hear you on that one (though I wish you were less descriptive). I do however think that the story is at least passable, especially for an ARPG.

abija

Prophet
7 bosses that need some component that never dropped and I brought two characters to lvl 100.. apparently it only drops from pit lvl 30+ or something which means there is only pit farming as endgame and that got boring after doing 5 pits. I brought two characters to 100 and quit.

You are on crack. As the guy above my post said you get plenty of mats without even farming them the intended way. The material you probably refer to is for torment variants which drops from pit and world bosses and wolves rep this season and season journey.

And you're still missing the point completely that the content is there, designers fail in making use of it.

ArchAngel

Arcane

You are on crack. As the guy above my post said you get plenty of mats without even farming them the intended way. The material you probably refer to is for torment variants which drops from pit and world bosses and wolves rep this season and season journey.

And you're still missing the point completely that the content is there, designers fail in making use of it.
Yes I am talking about torment versions, the normal versions died in 10s (some in 5s) to my Druid Summoner.. hard to consider those fights bosses..

Then I tried them with my 100 lvl Sorc and they lived up to 30s and I got to see some of their mechanics and they are all super plain and boring compared to even older PoE bosses.

Then I tried only torment version I could without that super rare component which was Uber Lilith and she managed to rape my super DPS and very tanky Druid fast and I have better things to do than do 500 pits so I can mastercraft Druid's gear for slight boring stat boosts just so I can try Uber Lilith again.

Last edited:

motherfucker

Educated
Yeah stygian stones are incredibly scarce, people farm T100 for hundreds of runs without ever seeing any

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom