Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Art style is a total return to Diablo 2

Yeah its so total that it totally looks like D3, w/ more blood and actual palette (which is a good thing).

The environments are cramped, the camera is too close, the gameplay is virtually identical to D3. Could have been sold as a "retro reskin" if I'm being honest.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
unknown.png

Also nice talent 'trees'

mondblut

Arcane
Funny, from day 1 the diablow series were a king of dumbing down RPGs until nothing RPG remains - and yet apparently they managed to outdo themselves and dumb it down even more? My, that's quite an achievement.
But nobody played it because of RPG reasons. It was / is just a dark and gritty "Hack and Slash" game.

Cool. Can we move this thread to general gaming, then?

Zeriel

Arcane
I see others have uploaded screenshots, but since I wasted time doing these I'm putting mine up too.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2kl473wqc/
Mage Talent Tree

Mage Skill Tree

Mage Skill Tree

Inventory

World Boss appears to allow more than 4 players

From this guys stream (he had the most viewers)
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/502648895

You've got the labels reversed. What you call skill trees are the talent trees, and what you call talent trees are the skill loadouts (ala D3).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It looks exactly like what I wanted from Diablo III, even adding the open-world & mounts from Sacred 1.

But now I have Path of Exile. And it seems really weird to go back to pre-WoW art style while also dumbing down everything.... doesn't look like something people would cosplay, nor something mechanically enjoyable, so who is this for?

Sentinel

Arcane
Director said in an interview this is still a long way off, not even "Blizzard Soon (TM)" levels of Soon yet, which would point to
1) This is a pre-alpha, which explains why the gameplay trailer shows such early footage as evident by the slower gameplay
2) lots of shit will change, so none of the info that gets released now should be believed (Remember Diablo 3 original announcement)

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
But now I have Path of Exile. And it seems really weird to go back to pre-WoW art style while also dumbing down everything.... doesn't look like something people would cosplay, nor something mechanically enjoyable, so who is this for?

Lmao you didn't saw all those blizzard milfs getting their underwear wet with Lilith on Twitter, right? The age of demon hoes is about to begin!

Director said in an interview this is still a long way off, not even "Blizzard Soon (TM)" levels of Soon yet, which would point to
1) This is a pre-alpha, which explains why the gameplay trailer shows such early footage as evident by the slower gameplay
2) lots of shit will change, so none of the info that gets released now should be believed (Remember Diablo 3 original announcement)

What has been shown on streams is far from being in pre-apha. In fact, it looks very polished with in-game cinematics, animations, voices and stuff. My bet is that the game will be released the next year, but it will be short in terms of overall content and it will be expanded with constant updates AKA seasons in the future.

Sentinel

Arcane
What has been shown on streams is far from being in pre-apha. In fact, it looks very polished with in-game cinematics, animations, voices and stuff. My bet is that the game will be released the next year, but it will be short in terms of overall content and it will be expanded with constant updates AKA seasons in the future.
What has been shown in streams? I've seen some dialogues, clearly unpolished art and spell FX, and early game combat, which are all conducive with some pre-alpha version specifically built for showcase. But it being "pre-alpha" or "alpha" isn't relevant here, point was: director says it's a long way off.
Just for comparison sake - the fastest Blizzard has dumped a game out the door after an announcement was Overwatch ("just" 2 years).

PS: In the Diablo IV panel at some point they show art of Hell, and the Art Director says "Unfortunately we don't have it [the levels] here with us today, but we can't wait to show you more in the future". Hell is always late game stuff in Diablo, so they're probably still early on in development.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Thats just how publicity for games is these days. They decide on an event they want to announce it at and have some team whip up a demo and some cinematic shit to show off that has nothing to do with the actual development. Maybe they shoehorn it into the actual game later on if it was recieved well.

J1M

Arcane
Giving the druid thunderstorm powers instead of fire is a nice touch, but they should swap the electrical powers on the sorceress with something else.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
lol i wonder if the Brevik knew this was happening afterall?

Most streams I watched he said D4 was WAY OFF, years off atleast in his estimation. Always talks about how they tell him nothing, never contact him for some reason other than minor clarifications.
Further and i cann't prove this i but think the replacement for Cain is Abel in D4, based on the BROTHER dialog line from the monologuing. However this is what Brevik did in his little game already including with gravestone. ..That could cause some tension.

Also brevik took like 4 months off from updating his game at all to do what is essentially a halloween update, with that out and what else he has planned around the corner,
he now has to contend with, this bomb dropping.

It could hurt or help his sales especially until D4 actually comes out.

No new tweets. atm He either doesn't know or knows and is waiting for tonight's stream to say anything.

So yeah D4 looks visually to have gone back over to the right place and no one would think the cinematic with Lillith's birth is kid friendly.
A lot more room for them to make a masterpiece like D2 was .

The D3 forums are so saturated with white knights and hardcore D3fags i advise people be very very skeptical on how the D4 will ulitmatley play.

edit: and i may have just heard on some twitch stream that Blizzard basically just pulled a Bethesdaesque move and pretty much have done nothing to dev the actual game beyond the demo preview. lucky Brevik if true.

Sentinel

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
Meh, old Diablo 1 was a cool game, hardcore gothic terror, Diablo II was already a decline but still acceptable then Blizzard just jump the abbyss with retardation on the lore with this nephelim bullshit turning Diablo lore into some kind of Dragon Ball z parody and the Wow art style just killed the series, they just killed the lore of Diablo with cheap fan service of the worst quality and some of the worst writing I ever seen. Not mentioning the shit gameplay focused on loot and not on terror. Turning back the retarded art style is a good thing but the art style was just the tip of the iceberg of shit and I doubt they will fix the rest, if they even have any good taste left to realize all they done since Diablo II is complete crap.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The problem with Diablo that goes back to D2 is that it has gone so far from its Judeo-Christian imagery and has pretty much its own in-game religious symbols at this point which means fuck-all to anybody.

They had a perfect opportunity to showcase some discomfort in the D4 cinematic trailer. When they hung all three of the adventurers upside down, they should have had their arms stretch out to make an inverted Cross symbol or even have them overwhelmed and sacrificed on altars by some creepy as fuck Devil worshiping cult speaking tongues. But they just went the typical, "have blood and stuff come out and then have it spill over some random glyphs that nobody can identify or give a shit about."

If you want to make your game feel evil and Satanic, then do what Satanism is supposed to be all about and that is pissing people off or making them feel highly uncomfortable.

And can someone in that sodomite state of California have the balls to put a proper inverted pentagram in this game and not some, "oooh, it looks like a pentagram because it's encircled and is a spooky symbol except it's not really a pentagram" Great Value brand knock off shit?

If your game about the Devil fails to make me want to take up a sword, shield, throw on a tabard with the Cross on it and go on a Holy inquisition to smite the lands of all Satanic practice with brutal divine justice then your game already sucks. Speaking of which, are they really going to not launch this game with the Paladin again?

DeepOcean

Arcane
"Cannot offend international markets, money is more important than making a good game. Islam and speaking chinese is our future. "

Blizzard 2019

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom