Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yes. We are discussing this because I can't afford it. The brain damage shit was actually directed at Archangel for his posts but your response indicates I was more on the money than I figured.

Enjoy the game, stop huffing paint.
Oh, please don't hurt me with your witty sarcasm! Ouch!

I don't give a shit about Archangel. He's retarded and so is everyone who wastes time in a Diablo4 thread when they don't even like the game. What the fuck are you all doing?

But, seriously, your mom won't buy it for your or what? Did she say you should be focusing on your homework and not playing games? :(
Your mom buys my games for giving it to her the way your dad never could. Now kindly stfu if you have nothing interesting or relevant to post.

Jimeh

Educated
Your mom buys my games for giving it to her the way your dad never could. Now kindly stfu if you have nothing interesting or relevant to post.
That's nice of you, man; I'm glad she's getting some action. 70 year olds don't get a lot of love! She won't buy you Diablo4, though? You are going down on her, right? I'm really not sure what you're doing wrong. Maybe you just need a bit more experience? Have you heard about that clitoris thing? Stick with it and I'm sure she'll buy it for you!

I don't have time to read entire thread, sure it has been discussed, but its hard for me to understand why they would do this....just trying to see if it is true...just now decided to pay attention to this game and ran across something..is it actually true you have no way of tuning other players out of your gaming experience?

So like you could be slowly trying to examine the new dark world they have created and imagine you truly are the only one who can defeat the ULTIMATE EVIL and suddenly 'XXTwerkingPaladin69' and 'MegaSkinSnake2000' come charging into your area doing somersaults and john Travolta dancing their way across the screen decked out with eye cancer, one followed by a Penguin the other has some out of place Starcraft 2 spaceship circling his head and as they run by you one says "come on Bro we about to Leroy Jenkins this shit, Lets gooooooo!!"

Like that can basically happen?

Last edited:

ind33d

Learned
I don't have time to read entire thread, sure it has been discussed, but its hard for me to gras, just trying to see if it is true...just now decided to pay attention to this game and ran across something..is it actually true you have no way of tuning other players out of your gaming experience?

So like you could be slowly trying to examine the new dark world they have created and imagine you truly are the only one who can defeat the ULTIMATE EVIL and suddenly 'XXTwerkingPaladin69' and 'MegaSkinSnake2000' come charging into your area doing somersaults and john Travolta dancing their way across the screen decked out with eye cancer, one followed by a Penguin the other has some out of place Starcraft 2 spaceship circling his head and as they run by you one says "come on Bro we about to Leroy Jenkins this shit, Lets gooooooo!!"

Like that can basically happen?
in D2 you could password games so normies couldn't get in. this also let me and my friend secretly collude in PVP to gank noobs and steal their ears. very nice!

Question about Diablo 3, so I have tried to play it and enjoy it, but it seems so simple and basic, like there are not even any real choices to make in my character build so far, it is mostly pretty straight forward. Nothing at all like Grim Dawn. I am trying the Free Diablo 3 version to see if I would want to pay for the actual game...is that why? Is the free version more basic? If I actually paid for the game is the character building deeper? Or do I need to get further into the game before more choices start to open up? I think my character is like a level 10 barbarian, but really no choices to be made as far as customization so far really. Very very basic, but it seems like maybe there might be something more later, but I am not sure..

I don't want to waste more time playing if its just more of the same for 80 levels. Or maybe I have to buy the actual game to get the real thing? Anybody know?

Sykar

Arcane
Nope that is D3 in a nutshell, wide as an ocean but deep as a puddle. At best. You could also say that it is a piss puddle wide as an ocean.
I am actually ashamed to admit that I tried to like this game and Retard of Souls for about 250 hours. The story is batshit retarded. The skill system offers a lot of choices that only lead to different colours of damage with little impact on gameplay. Sets become all important and build defining and forces you into a narrow corridor of choices. Free respecs whenever make building meaningless outside of seasonal characters. Always online is in general bad design.

abija

Prophet
The skill system offers a lot of choices that only lead to different colours of damage with little impact on gameplay.
How can you play a game for hundreds of hours and get something as basic completely wrong?

holla_cabezas_de_mierda D3 has free respecs so the only "real choices" are gear related, what you focus on grinding.

Sykar

Arcane
The skill system offers a lot of choices that only lead to different colours of damage with little impact on gameplay.
How can you play a game for hundreds of hours and get something as basic completely wrong?

holla_cabezas_de_mierda D3 has free respecs so the only "real choices" are gear related, what you focus on grinding.
Which part of " Free respecs whenever make building meaningless" did you not understand, dumbfuck?

ArchAngel

Arcane
This pretty much sums up that shitty world boss fight.

During the Server Slam, everyone had one goal in mind—to kill the world boss, Ashava, and claim their exclusive cosmetic. But the great beast only ended up being the perfect capstone to Diablo 4's problems. As Fraser discovered (opens in new tab), fighting it was just a long, tedious slog that made every part of your character feel meaningless. Playing a tanky build? Pointless, because you die in one hit from one of its enormous AoE attacks. Playing DPS? Enjoy watching an enormous healthbar achingly slowly tick down while you spam one spell that it has no visible reaction to. Playing support? No, you aren't—that doesn't exist. Playing a Necromancer? Sorry, all your skeletons got banished to Double Hell and they ain't coming back. All of that slow, tedious grinding of getting to level 20 culminated in an even slower, more tedious grind of a fight.

https://www.pcgamer.com/class-balan...diablo-4but-the-game-has-far-bigger-problems/
Not really true, my barbarian survived a bunch of attacks with low life, even when I had no barrier up. I still died a bunch, a few due to poison because I randomly went to do Ashava as I was not tracking when it is happening and did zero preparation for it.
Overall fight was stupid and I would not do it again. It was especially stupid for melee with need to dodge way more mechanics than ranged did.

I disagree, that fight is harder if you stay at a distance. Either you get too far out of range, so your attacks don't connect, or you have to dodge the fuckhuge sweep that will one shot you if you touch any part of it. Hugging its nuts allows you to sit in the eye of the storm and dodge the occasional telegraphed slam which is far easier and you can tank a hit of most or all of its attacks, as long as you weren't sitting in its fart clouds.

Once I figured it out, I was engaging with it point blank, even using a sorc.
Well fart clouds are killer for melee. With ranged you can mostly ignore it. I spent more time trying to get into melee where I am not in fart cloud instead of doing damage. You are talking shit.
Hydra and firewall do not care for any of these problems.
I'm not talking shit, I'm talking from the experience of fighting the stupid thing on various classes and getting buttfucked down to equipment breakage at range and not dying much at all at melee. Here's a hint, don't stand in the fart clouds and take a mobility skill other than your space bar dodge.
You are not understanding what I am saying. Staying alive is only half that battle (or 1/3), doing damage is what you are supposed to do and you spend too much time not doing that while melee. And melee are not tanky enough to just be targets for Ashava like the guy said in video.
Fuck the guy in the video; he doesn't know shit. Attention whoring e-celebs and their retarded reaction face thumbnails are cancer.

Mediocrepoet is right. The fight is trivial when you know it. Just hug his arse. In phase 2 he does a very obvious attack with 2 circles so you know to move away from his rear attack.

I did the server slam world boss with a melee rogue and barb and didn't die. Using Dash on the rogue I could keep the DPS on pretty much non-stop but the cooldown on leap with barb made me take a little longer to get back to him when he moved. Still beat him with enough time left to exit the game and rejoin for another boss fight just to help out other players.
I know all his mechanics, still does not change anything I said. It is shit for melee, even you said you needed longer to reach him with barb (and it is same shit with druid). Rogue does not even need to be melee, his ranged should be as good.

And guy in video is still right, you even proved it by saying it is easy to and you should be dodging all attacks. He said there is no tanking it which is still true. And he said there is no true support which is also true.
So all you got is DPS which is always better with ranged characters.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Playing the server slam made me wish PoE had updated next gen graphics like D4 and D4 was actually fun like PoE.
D4 graphics are nice but nothing special, I more enjoyed the smoothness of movement and use of skills. It is especially jarring when I play D2R before and after it and in D2R you get stuck on shit all the time (and PoE also has this problem but less).
Also I no longer find PoE fun, it was fun for first few years, for a long while it is now like a second job and a chore. They killed fun long time ago with the feature bloat.

It is why I am hoping PoE2 kind of resets stuff, if not I am becoming Last Epoch player for next few years.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Playing the server slam made me wish PoE had updated next gen graphics like D4 and D4 was actually fun like PoE.
D4 graphics are nice but nothing special, I more enjoyed the smoothness of movement and use of skills. It is especially jarring when I play D2R before and after it and in D2R you get stuck on shit all the time (and PoE also has this problem but less).
Also I no longer find PoE fun, it was fun for first few years, for a long while it is now like a second job and a chore. They killed fun long time ago with the feature bloat.

It is why I am hoping PoE2 kind of resets stuff, if not I am becoming Last Epoch player for next few years.
Please direct me to any ARPG that has better artstyle and purely better graphics ,animations etc. than Diablo 4?

I will be waiting.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Please direct me to any ARPG that has better artstyle and purely better graphics ,animations etc. than Diablo 4?

I will be waiting.
I didn't compare it with other aRPGs. And I think they went into too much details on unimportant stuff like how skin of character looks when very close up (during character creation) while ingame you will never see these details.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I will be waiting.

Lost Ark.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

I will be waiting.

Lost Ark.
Lost Ark looks weeby dogshit unreal 3 engine SHIT compared to D4.

Lost Ark looks OK, but D4 looks 5 next gen eras ahead

ArchAngel

Arcane

I will be waiting.

Lost Ark.
Lost Ark looks weeby dogshit unreal 3 engine SHIT compared to D4.

Lost Ark looks OK, but D4 looks 5 next gen eras ahead
You are degenerate if you care about graphics that much in your arpg. All it matters how well it plays and there D4 does have some advantage when not self sabotaging itself with stupidly designed mana and cooldown systems brought from even more retarded D3.

spectre

Arcane
I said it in a different thread, but if you don't care about graphics, you're much better served by playing a roguelike.
The mechanical depth and challenge will be much better and so will replayability.

TBH, I think it's a fair question to ask - what is there to play/look forward to if you want your arpg fix. Most people, me included already had their fill of Path of Exile and Grim Dawn.
There's Diablo Resurrected which I am finding rather adequate, but that's still D2 with a new coat of paint.

With Diablo 4 I can see Blizzard is really trying to reel people in and pay that nostalgia tax. I missed the opportunity to seriously play the server slam and only got like 2-3h ours out of it
(a rather dickish move to pull the plug on the whole thing come Sunday 21:00), and what I've seen didn't 100% convince me.
One thing Blizzard managed to nail is the visual feedback during combat. Blowing up mobs feels properly gratifying and it basically blows older games out of the water.
Problem is, they already had it down with Diablo 3, which sucked ass as far as I'm concerned. Managed to squeeze some fun out of it in coop with a decent group of folks.
Sadly, I see a lot of the design decisions from D3 metastasizing to D4. Some of them were already annoying during my limited time with the slam
(I swear, those shitty damaging spinner things spawning on the ground from elite mobs almost gave me ptsd).
Other than that, itemization feels very poor (just pump them numbers up higher and higher for that sweeeeet +1,5% dps bonus) and
most of the skill tree (especially the upgrades) felt inconsequential (gee whizz, a +3% increase to my resource pool? isn't that a bargain?).
Maps also weren't convincing, from what I've seen the overmap was mostly corridors leading to points of interest,
and dungeons already started to feel samey just 3 hours in.

Ultimately, it boils down to the asking price. So far I am not convinced it's worth it.
(and I'm not even going for the low-hanging fruit of PoE still being out there and still being free).

So, coming back to my earlier point, what's there to check out if you're on the fence about D4 and want that fix?

Lost Ark, from what I've read about it, it's not for me. I'm not looking to do additional homework so I can raid with other people.
Not sure about the basic gameplay, but from what I've seen the build variety seems to be there, but itemization seems nonexistent.

Torchlight, I can't stomach the wow-y art style, so that's that.

Wolcen - I made a few honest attempts at this game and just can't make it stick. It seems like a patchwork of all the mechanics from all the arpgs out there,
without any serious thought about them all fitting together. The writing seems to have improved in the more recent build I played, but is still cringe-inducing.
Biggest complaint (again) is itemization. The stuff you find are mostly stat sticks. Even the appearance doesn't matter as you can change it at will.

Inquisitor, Martyr - This one was surprisingly good. While it gets repetitive very quickly, at least it managed to get the basics down -
the oppressive atmosphere (chaos space marines are probably the best attempt to recreate the classic Doom Knights from Diablo 1 I've seen so far)
and the rewarding feeling of blasting xenos to bits.

Last Epoch - Still in the process of trying this one out. Unity Engine shines through, which is already rubbing me the wrong way,
but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I said it in a different thread, but if you don't care about graphics, you're much better served by playing a roguelike.
The mechanical depth and challenge will be much better and so will replayability.

TBH, I think it's a fair question to ask - what is there to play/look forward to if you want your arpg fix. Most people, me included already had their fill of Path of Exile and Grim Dawn.
There's Diablo Resurrected which I am finding rather adequate, but that's still D2 with a new coat of paint.

With Diablo 4 I can see Blizzard is really trying to reel people in and pay that nostalgia tax. I missed the opportunity to seriously play the server slam and only got like 2-3h ours out of it
(a rather dickish move to pull the plug on the whole thing come Sunday 21:00), and what I've seen didn't 100% convince me.
One thing Blizzard managed to nail is the visual feedback during combat. Blowing up mobs feels properly gratifying and it basically blows older games out of the water.
Problem is, they already had it down with Diablo 3, which sucked ass as far as I'm concerned. Managed to squeeze some fun out of it in coop with a decent group of folks.
Sadly, I see a lot of the design decisions from D3 metastasizing to D4. Some of them were already annoying during my limited time with the slam
(I swear, those shitty damaging spinner things spawning on the ground from elite mobs almost gave me ptsd).
Other than that, itemization feels very poor (just pump them numbers up higher and higher for that sweeeeet +1,5% dps bonus) and
most of the skill tree (especially the upgrades) felt inconsequential (gee whizz, a +3% increase to my resource pool? isn't that a bargain?).
Maps also weren't convincing, from what I've seen the overmap was mostly corridors leading to points of interest,
and dungeons already started to feel samey just 3 hours in.

Ultimately, it boils down to the asking price. So far I am not convinced it's worth it.
(and I'm not even going for the low-hanging fruit of PoE still being out there and still being free).

So, coming back to my earlier point, what's there to check out if you're on the fence about D4 and want that fix?

Lost Ark, from what I've read about it, it's not for me. I'm not looking to do additional homework so I can raid with other people.
Not sure about the basic gameplay, but from what I've seen the build variety seems to be there, but itemization seems nonexistent.

Torchlight, I can't stomach the wow-y art style, so that's that.

Wolcen - I made a few honest attempts at this game and just can't make it stick. It seems like a patchwork of all the mechanics from all the arpgs out there,
without any serious thought about them all fitting together. The writing seems to have improved in the more recent build I played, but is still cringe-inducing.
Biggest complaint (again) is itemization. The stuff you find are mostly stat sticks. Even the appearance doesn't matter as you can change it at will.

Inquisitor, Martyr - This one was surprisingly good. While it gets repetitive very quickly, at least it managed to get the basics down -
the oppressive atmosphere (chaos space marines are probably the best attempt to recreate the classic Doom Knights from Diablo 1 I've seen so far)
and the rewarding feeling of blasting xenos to bits.

Last Epoch - Still in the process of trying this one out. Unity Engine shines through, which is already rubbing me the wrong way,
but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.

Last Epoch was the closest to for me, so far. I basically asked myself this question and went dumpster diving through a bunch of ARPGs and was coming up mostly empty except LE and Grim Dawn. We've played most of the same games and came up with sort of similar impressions though you're more positively inclined towards Wolcen and Inquisitor Martyr than I am.

You could try Chaosbane, but like... don't pay much for it. It tends to go on sale for peanuts though, so there's that. It's ... ok, but definitely budget feeling. Most of the classes suck, but I found one or two I didn't mind, so YMMV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom