Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Andhaira

Arcane
What are starting attribute points?

Current build has 8 points you can distribute. Base value for each skill is 1. So 6-4, 6-3-2, 5-4-2, 4-3-3-2, 3-3-3-3 etc are all legit. Additionally you get to pick a Signature skill, which adds a point to the skill and raises the learning caps of all skills in the same stat by 1.

Some screen seems 10, more recent ones are 12. It is good 5 psyche, 3 motorics and intellect while physic dump stat?

It'll work. I just started a new game with 5 Intellect, 4 Physique, 2 Psyche and Authority as Signature skill. It's... really different. I can't observe anything for shit but I'm pretty clever, also I think I could take Measurehead with a bit of luck which would open up some possibilities.

Measurehead's a hoot. Our Polish comrades will be especially appreciative I think.

Or it is better two specialization and two dump stats? Can you even complete the game if you pump one attribute only and the other three stay at 1 value?

You'd need to not use your starting skill points to leave three of them at 1. I don't know how that would affect your chances of finishing the game

The video trailer of the game makes it appear there is no fog of war. Is that true? Or are you limited in how much of the scren you can scroll; if the latter is true can you still see behind closed doors/rooms?

Lyre Mors

Arcane
might as well be a rpg if disco e. is

For posterity. So basically, with all the information being presented in this thread, your argument seems to be that because there is no tactical combat, this isn't an RPG?

Prime Junta

The video trailer of the game makes it appear there is no fog of war. Is that true? Or are you limited in how much of the scren you can scroll; if the latter is true can you still see behind closed doors/rooms?

Zooming and scrolling is limited, and no you can't see through closed doors.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So is this another game where combat is turnbased but you control only 1 character???

If so WHY??? Why the fuck can't they give us a party (or squad) of SWAT or something?
You sort of have companions.

Terenty

Liturgist
The thing that bothers me about this system is that its never clear when and where you will be able to use this or that skill.

For example, in conventional rpgs i know that if I spec into firearms my character will be better at killing, if i spec into lockpicking there will be plenty of doors to open etc.

Here, if i spec into physique i dont know when the opportunity will present itself to intimidate someone. Its not like i will be able to strike fear into any npc( successfuly or not) because i speced into strengh right?

Basically what i'm saying is that the player seems to be at the whim of the writer all the time without any consistency

Prime Junta

BTW I tried out Fantadomat's self-portrait (dumb as a rock, clumsy, near-sighted, but scary and built like a brick outhouse). Fun to play. Completely different than the Psyche/Motorics cop I last played with -- half the stuff I noticed before just isn't there, but I get a ton of new interaction options. The Physique skill interjections are sometimes really funny, Electrochemistry gives consistently terrible advice, Endurance is a giant racist and sexist, Half-Light is trying to get me into fights, Physical Instrument wants me to smash things and people, and Shivers is fucking spooky man.

I managed to get into a fight, too. Beat the shit out of Measurehead... not without a bruise or two to show for it though.

I'm actually thinking that a Psyche/Physique cop might be a good choice for a first playthrough. It's pretty straightforward and funny but you miss out on a lot of stuff because of lousy Perception and no running commentary from Encyclopedia. If you do Intellect/Motorics the second time it'll be a drastically different experience.

Here, if i spec into physique i dont know when the opportunity will present itself to intimidate someone. Its not like i will be able to strike fear into any npc( successfuly or not) because i speced into strengh right?

Basically what i'm saying is that the player seems to be at the whim of the writer all the time without any consistency

According to Marat Sar, the least used skill has 50 checks in the game, whereas the most used one has over 500. You won't be short of opportunities to use those skills.

(BTW Authority is the intimidation skill. The Physique ones are more direct.)

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm actually thinking that a Psyche/Physique cop might be a good choice for a first playthrough. It's pretty straightforward and funny but you miss out on a lot of stuff because of lousy Perception and no running commentary from Encyclopedia. If you do Intellect/Motorics the second time it'll be a drastically different experience.
This was my plan, happy to hear it's a good one.

I want to be Bad Lieutenant my first playthrough (Keitel, not Cage.) 6 phys, 4 mot, electrochemistry as the tagged skill. For a more seriously playthrough, perhaps 4 psych 4 mot 3 int with suggestion? as the tagged skill.

Deleted Member 16721

This game is so good, we don't even deserve it. It's going to be Game of the Decade material for me. Stygian was alright, but this thing blows the doors off of most RPGs. Can't wait to play more.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree with Fluent. 30 hours in and I'm amazed. This is the best game since Troika died. Impressions:

Can you lie a lot?

Terenty

Liturgist
BTW I tried out Fantadomat's self-portrait (dumb as a rock, clumsy, near-sighted, but scary and built like a brick outhouse). Fun to play. Completely different than the Psyche/Motorics cop I last played with -- half the stuff I noticed before just isn't there, but I get a ton of new interaction options. The Physique skill interjections are sometimes really funny, Electrochemistry gives consistently terrible advice, Endurance is a giant racist and sexist, Half-Light is trying to get me into fights, Physical Instrument wants me to smash things and people, and Shivers is fucking spooky man.

I managed to get into a fight, too. Beat the shit out of Measurehead... not without a bruise or two to show for it though.

According to Marat Sar, the least used skill has 50 checks in the game, whereas the most used one has over 500. You won't be short of opportunities to use those skills.

(BTW Authority is the intimidation skill. The Physique ones are more direct.)

But the player is not in control most of the time, because most checks are passive. The only thing you can do is wait for the game to randomly check your skill, right?

What decisions can you make during gameplay other than obviously choose the dialogue option that you passed check on?

Deleted Member 16721

I agree with Fluent. 30 hours in and I'm amazed. This is the best game since Troika died. Impressions:

Can you lie a lot?

Best game since Troika died? Definitely a possibility. The game is amazing, I'm all-in on this one. I haven't seen writing this good in forever, and the variation you get from conversations are so interesting. I'm hooked. Just have to wait to get ahold of the full copy, because in the preview copy you can only play the first day. I need more! :)

Deleted Member 16721

Prime Junta and Fluent Alright ya faggots I am convinced I will day 1 purchase this shit I hope I don't get burned. And for the record I am one of the cynics grogs whatever you wanna call me.

You won't be disappointed brother, at least I hope not. The game really is that good.

But the player is not in control most of the time, because most checks are passive. The only thing you can do is wait for the game to randomly check your skill, right?

What decisions can you make during gameplay other than obviously choose the dialogue option that you passed check on?

There are lots of decisions, some with immediate consequences. If you piss someone off via dialogue, that may come back to bite you later in the conversation. You have to play things smart. It's not all about skill checks, you also have to carefully measure the other responses you get, and be careful to play your cards the right way. The game has the most reactivity of any RPG I can remember. As I said it's similar to Numenera, but don't let that scare you. Numenera tried to do dialogue like this, but I feel Disco really hit the nail on the head when it comes to reactive choice and consequence gameplay.

Deleted Member 16721

The game has David Lynch vibes to it as well. It's almost like a war-torn city Twin Peaks. I see they took inspiration from Lynch as well as PS:T (dialogue options are even read like in PS:T with a similar font.) Nice touches.

Prime Junta

Wrong.

Choose the right option. In anything that matters you've got a ton of options. Some of them are always there, others are conditional on your skills, Thoughts, previous actions, or items. Some of them will fuck you right up. Others might get the result you want. Yet others might result in something unexpected that may be useful, useless, damaging, or just interesting. Many of them are mutually exclusive.

So yes, a lot of the gameplay happens in the dialog UI, but if you just mechanically click on the options suggested by your skills you're going to have a pretty short game.

Especially if you listen to Electrochemistry, that guy is bad news.

barghwata

Savant

If done properly passive skill checks are better and can give more freedom and control to the player, this is because passive skill checks can aid you in dialogues without outright telling you what to say, one thing i hate in many RPGs that have social skills like persuation and subterfuge etc..... is that when you have these skills, the game just tells what you say with skill checks in the dialogue options, like:
" [Persuation] CLICK HERE TO ACE THE CONVERSATION!!! " which can get quite annoying.

With passive skill checks the game can sort of guide the flow of the conversation instead of interrupt it, like for example while talking to someone to try to persuade them of something you might get a perception skill check that tells you something you noticed about that person's attitude or mannerisms, giving you hints on how to talk to him in order to persuade him without outright telling you which dialogue option works.

From the gameplay footage i've seen from DE, i think the game does just that but i can't be 100% sure.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom