Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Deleted Member 16721

If done properly passive skill checks are better and can give more freedom to the player, this is because passive skill checks can aid you in dialogues without outright telling you what to say, one thing i hate in many RPGs that have social skills like persuation and subterfuge etc..... is that when you have these skills, the game just tells what you say with skill checks in the dialogue options, like:
" [Persuation] CLICK HERE TO ACE THE CONVERSATION!!! " which can get quite annoying.

With passive skill checks the game can sort of guide the flow of the conversation instead of interrupt it, like for example while talking to someone to try to persuade them of something you might get a perception skill check that tells you something you noticed about that person's attitude or mannerisms, giving you hints on how to talk to him in order to persuade him without outright telling you which dialogue option works.

From the gameplay footage i've seen from DE, i think the game does just that but i can't be 100% sure.

It does do that, definitely. Passive skill checks will help you figure out what to say in dialogue. It's a really cool system.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
What the fuck is Motorics anyway.
You know, it would help to actually pay attention to the thread you're replying to, the various devblog posts about the skills have been linked here repeatedly.

But just for you, here: https://zaumstudio.com/2018/05/29/meet-the-skills-motorics/

I started reading the "game" mechanics of Disco Tedium, but I grew increasingly hungry for Italian food as I waded deeper into the skill descriptions.

Ultra-Garlicky-Spaghetti-1-1.jpg

Can someone with high Motorics>Perception or Psyche>Empathy or Intellect>Conceptualization or Physique>Endurance explain why?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, it would help to actually pay attention to the thread you're replying to, the various devblog posts about the skills have been linked here repeatedly.
But just for you, here: https://zaumstudio.com/2018/05/29/meet-the-skills-motorics/
It's my standard policy to play games completely blind in regard to characters builds and systems.

* Asks questions about how to cure blindness
* Brags about playing blind

thinking.png

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's my standard policy to play games completely blind in regard to characters builds and systems.

* Asks questions about how to cure blindness
* Brags about playing blind

thinking.png

Bro, you didn't ave your coffee yet? The only reason I mentioned playing blind, is because people were asking why I don't pay attention to many posts around here breaking down the attributes.

And trust me, there's nothing to brag about, lol. I probably explained my playstyle on the Codex before - I have a very strict rule of no research and no restarts. My typical RPG experience is suffering with a miserably bad party and struggling to win fights on Normal. :D

Prime Junta

Any bugs on preview build?

Worst I’ve seen is a Thought summary truncated in the splash screen when it completes. (You can see the same text in the THC where it’s not truncated.)

About the dialog combat. It’s clear they did it this way because they wanted to, not because it was easier. It would have been much simpler to slap on a JRPG style BATTLE!!! screen where you and Kim trade punches with the baddies.

This would have shut Latro up and it wouldn’t even have felt badly out of place — genre expectations and all — but IMO the game would have been worse for it. It’s seamless this way, there’s no transition between combat and non-combat, and because every fight is a set piece they’re all different.

I still think the grogs won’t like it, but there it is. It was a creative choice, and a ballsy one. Not to mention expensive, what with all the unique animations, dialogue branches, and all.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, I'm glad they did combat as they did. It feels right for the game. A regular combat system would have been out of place based on the rest of the game imo.

Prime Junta

With passive skill checks the game can sort of guide the flow of the conversation instead of interrupt it, like for example while talking to someone to try to persuade them of something you might get a perception skill check that tells you something you noticed about that person's attitude or mannerisms, giving you hints on how to talk to him in order to persuade him without outright telling you which dialogue option works.

Yeah this. Also I’ll repeat: the recommendations your skills give you are often really counterproductive. Authority for example gives excellent bullying advice, but some witnesses just shut down, or break down in tears and become incoherent, or tell you panicked pointless lies if you succeed in bullying them. Other times you really do need to assert yourself to get anywhere. The trick is to figure out when.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
According to Marat Sar, the least used skill has 50 checks in the game, whereas the most used one has over 500. You won't be short of opportunities to use those skills.

What is least used and what is most used skill?

barghwata

Savant

Yeah this. Also I’ll repeat: the recommendations your skills give you are often really counterproductive. Authority for example gives excellent bullying advice, but some witnesses just shut down, or break down in tears and become incoherent, or tell you panicked pointless lies if you succeed in bullying them. Other times you really do need to assert yourself to get anywhere. The trick is to figure out when.

I really hope this is true, because i've just about had it with modern RPGs that treat skill checks like buttons you click on to solve all your problems, i miss RPGs from the golden era where many skill checks in dialogues weren't visible and passing them didn't always give you good results.

Prime Junta

According to Marat Sar, the least used skill has 50 checks in the game, whereas the most used one has over 500. You won't be short of opportunities to use those skills.

I don’t know. I’ve seen a lot of checks for Perception, Encyclopedia, Authority, and Physical Instrument, and relatively fewer for Volition, Shivers, Visual Calculus (those are super significant though!), and Composure. I wouldn’t make too much of this though as this is just the first day and I haven’t attempted everything with every build — that would take a LOT of time.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

I don’t know. I’ve seen a lot of checks for Perception, Encyclopedia, Authority, and Physical Instrument, and relatively fewer for Volition, Shivers, Visual Calculus (those are super significant though!), and Composure. I wouldn’t make too much of this though as this is just the first day and I haven’t attempted everything with every build — that would take a LOT of time.

Wow, nice! I will make character with those 4 skills then.
Also how Shivers work exactly?

Deleted Member 16721

Why are people trying to min/max already? The game has unique scenarios for failed checks so you should experience the game as it's meant to be. I already had a Thought manifest from a failed check that I might not have seen otherwise. Just play the game naturally.

Prime Junta

Shivers is mostly passive. It gives you weird, hallucinatory, possibly supernatural, possibly imagined insights into things. It’s tied to a feeling of belonging in the city. Closest analogy I can think of are the voices whispering into your ear when playing as a Malk in VtM:B, and it’s not a very good one.

It is very spooky and very cool.

Deleted Member 16721

Inland Empire is also great. Very David Lynch. I don't want to talk too much about it as it's more fun for you guys to find it all out for yourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

barghwata

Savant
Why are people trying to min/max already? The game has unique scenarios for failed checks so you should experience the game as it's meant to be. I already had a Thought manifest from a failed check that I might not have seen otherwise. Just play the game naturally.

Indeed, i find min maxing in RPGs to be a stupid way to play in general, but DE looks like the best example of an RPG where you should not min max at all, the developpers clearly put a lot of effort into keeping the game fun even if you're roleplaying a washed up detective who's horrible at his job, failure seems to be an important part of the game.

Deleted Member 16721

Indeed, i find min maxing in RPGs to be a stupid way to play in general, but DE looks like the best example of an RPG where you should not min max at all, the developpers clearly put a lot of effort into keeping the game fun even if you're roleplaying a washed up detective who's horrible at his job, failure seems to be an important part of the game.

Exactly, well said. Another failure opened up an interesting quest, too. Definitely play it straight up for the best experience.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
so, here's a question I think many people are interested in

how exactly do skill checks work, on screen I see dice, is it percentage based rolls + your skill

lets say I have 8 perception and the check needs 10, is it possible to pass it with rolls

or are the dice on the screen just a visual representation of how many skill points you have in a skill

Prime Junta

Somebody correct me if I got this wrong but it works something like this: each check has a difficulty; you roll 2d6 + your skill + bonuses; if the roll is higher than the check you beat it.

Additionally, 6/6 always succeeds and 1/1 always fails.

Finally, many skill checks are only ever available if you succeeded in some hidden background check. So for example you need to pass a hidden Perception check to notice the footprints to analyse with Visual Calculus.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
so even someone with no points in a check can pass it, seems like no 2 playthroughs will be the same with this in mind

Prime Junta

so even someone with no points in a check can pass it, seems like no 2 playthroughs will be the same with this in mind

It’s possible but you won’t even see most of the checks that way. Typically you’d have to roll 2d6 twice in a row, first (hidden) to see the check, then (choice) to pass it. The odds of that happening are less than 1/1000.

There are some that are always there though but most of them are not.

vota DC

Augur
Somebody correct me if I got this wrong but it works something like this: each check has a difficulty; you roll 2d6 + your skill + bonuses; if the roll is higher than the check you beat it.

Finally, many skill checks are only ever available if you succeeded in some hidden background check. So for example you need to pass a hidden Perception check to notice the footprints to analyse with Visual Calculus.
So starting skills that start high because high attribute needs to be leveled up only a couple of times? With the first level up you can already add +12 to your 2d6 dice.

lobsterfrogman

Scholar

So starting skills that start high because high attribute needs to be leveled up only a couple of times? With the first level up you can already add +12 to your 2d6 dice.

You certainly can't add +12 at first level up. Maximum starting stat is 6 I believe and you start with only 1 skill point. So at the beginning maximum possible result is 2d6+6+1=19. However it is possible to pass a check with higher difficulty rating (boxcars is always a success), but it requires huge luck (or lots of reloads).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom