Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Latro

Arcane
optimal build: put equal amount of points in everything and save/reload until you get desired dice roll

Prime Junta

Anyone else going for high Physique and psyche build? I never go for full muscle builds because devs rarely make it interesting. But the amount of work put in the skill development is impressive,thus making want to try and play a brute of a bastard :).

High Physique is most definitely interesting. A whole range of possibilities open up -- drugs, booze, cigs, hitting on da ladeez, smashing things, smashing people... the hard question is what your other skill will be.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyone else going for high Physique and psyche build? I never go for full muscle builds because devs rarely make it interesting. But the amount of work put in the skill development is impressive,thus making want to try and play a brute of a bastard :).

High Physique is most definitely interesting. A whole range of possibilities open up -- drugs, booze, cigs, hitting on da ladeez, smashing things, smashing people... the hard question is what your other skill will be.
I am interested in strong dude with high authority ;)

optimal build: put equal amount of points in everything and save/reload until you get desired dice roll
But can you save scum?

Prime Junta

Actually, no, won't fly. Reason is, a lot (most?) skill checks are passive. You won't be able to savescum the check if you're never offered it.

But can you save scum?

You most definitely can savescum. But as stated above, it alone won't cut it. If you don't have enough PER to spot the footprints in the first place, you won't be able to savescum your Visual Calculus check to figure out what they're all about.

I am interested in strong dude with high authority ;)

Physique 6, Psyche 4, tag Authority. That would be an extremely viable build. You're dumb as a rock though, which I suppose would suit you to a T also.

Latro

Arcane

Actually, no, won't fly. Reason is, a lot (most?) skill checks are passive. You won't be able to savescum the check if you're never offered it.

But can you save scum?

You most definitely can savescum. But as stated above, it alone won't cut it. If you don't have enough PER to spot the footprints in the first place, you won't be able to savescum your Visual Calculus check to figure out what they're all about.
so disco elysium is like fallout 3 speech checks, nice

Butter

Arcane
Patron
If you savescum in this game you're a legit faggot. It sounds like they did everything possible to make living with the consequences of bad rolls interesting. What are you afraid of? Something funny happening?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

But can you save scum?

so disco elysium is like fallout 3 speech checks, nice
At least now it is more like an rpg in your eyes :).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the NDA doesn't apply to character creation any more, can you tell us exactly what building looks like? Is it just distributing those 8 stat points or are there x number of skill points to spend during creation as well? Anything else I would want to know, as a person who likes planning ahead?

Prime Junta

If the NDA doesn't apply to character creation any more, can you tell us exactly what building looks like? Is it just distributing those 8 stat points or are there x number of skill points to spend during creation as well? Anything else I would want to know, as a person who likes planning ahead?

You've seen the screen. You get to spread 8 points between 4 stats with a base of 1, and pick one skill as your "signature skill," which adds 1 point to it and raises the learning caps of all skills in the same ability by 1. Your skill check at any of the skills is stat + skill + bonuses from items, Thoughts, and previous actions.

vota DC

Augur

They hinted that it would be a good idea to combine those. Physique in the devblog has a lot of chance to lose control the higher you have it and you need volition to counter it, some intellect skills too, motorics one where you do ninja douchebag stuff (whatever means).

Prime Junta

They hinted that it would be a good idea to combine those. Physique in the devblog has a lot of chance to lose control the higher you have it and you need volition to counter it, some intellect skills too, motorics one where you do ninja douchebag stuff (whatever means).

Exactly... you want them all, but you can only pick two, unless you want to be Joe McAveragecop. That'll work too but you will miss out on other things...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You've seen the screen. You get to spread 8 points between 4 stats with a base of 1, and pick one skill as your "signature skill," which adds 1 point to it and raises the learning caps of all skills in the same ability by 1. Your skill check at any of the skills is stat + skill + bonuses from items, Thoughts, and previous actions.
How about advancement? Can I increase skill base values later? Can I get a guy who is intrinsically good at Rhetoric and Drama but not Encyclopedia? Or do I just want to look for the Rhetoric Shoes and the Drama Scarf?

Deleted Member 16721

Is it a game that prefer jack of all trade characters like stygian, or you get rewarded by specializing into something ?

In my opinion, it's whichever way you want to go. If you specialize you will miss out on some other skill checks for your dumped stats. Some may even be nearly impossible for you. If you mix it up you will at least have a chance at success for a lot of skill checks, even if sometimes your percentages are low. I've been doing just fine with my character I showed you, passing a bunch of checks and also failing some. It's a mixed bag.

luinthoron

Learned

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about advancement? Can I increase skill base values later? Can I get a guy who is intrinsically good at Rhetoric and Drama but not Encyclopedia? Or do I just want to look for the Rhetoric Shoes and the Drama Scarf?

Yeah, every level up you get a skill point to distribute, which you can also use it to open up an extra slot in your thought cabinet. They’re pretty generous with skill points. But the number of points you can put in a skill is capped by its controlling attribute, so 3 INT means you can only put 3 points into each of the INT skills. There are a bunch of thoughts that can raise these caps, though.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I'm considering doing that myself. My initial plan was a physically shitty crooked cop that loves hookers and blow, but that would be a fucky spread of stats/skills. Considering physique and psyche (Maybe motorics? Definitely dumping intellect) and going for a brash crooked cop instead just because it seems easier to stat for/build. Also tempted to discover I'm a member of the great race of yith by maxing out inland empire and shivers (And maybe conceptualization) so I can discover DA TROOF but that feels better suited for a replay character.

Prime Junta

It's my standard policy to play games completely blind in regard to builds and systems.

Oh, so you want the short answer? Motorics is sort of like a PER and DEX mashup. How good you are at spotting things, hand to eye coordination, your dance moves, your ability to gracefully slide out of hairy situations, that sort of thing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom