Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
well it has been a while since we have 5+ pages retarded argument of "what is an RPG"

if there is multi pages argument about if a game is an RPG or no, that mean it is an RPG
Yeah,that argument was even in the shoutbox too.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I like text adventures and have done so since the Lone Wolf series. I've bought most the Choice of Games catalogue. I'm neither impugning the genre in general nor Disco Tedium as a specific example of the text adventure genre.

I'm looking forward to giving this a try. But only when it inevitably sells 70% off, because that is the highest price a text-adventure is reasonably worth.

Insert Title Here
PC Gamer article: https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-lets-you-be-sherlock-in-flares/

Disco Elysium lets you be Sherlock in flares
Behind this very 70s facial hair hides a keen mind.

I've only just managed to get this dead man down from the tree. First I had to get past the stench, no easy feat since the body's been there a week, and then sever the industrial rope he was hanging from. My partner suggested getting help. Pfff.

I waved him away and shot through the rope in a rare display of competence. On my other save, where I created a character with less impressive physical stats, I can't even get close to the body without vomiting and instead have to psych myself up by going away to think about it for half an hour.

Disco Elysium will let you play the kind of detective you want. Its selection of stats and skills can mimic a variety of "copotypes" like the master of deduction, or the Columbo who always has just one more question, or the one who "just get these flashes", or who talks to dead people, and so on. Replaying its opening days I've been a tough guy who takes no nonsense and an unhinged sensitive who at one point began taking off his clothes to get a better sense of the air. "It's a technique of mine," I tried to explain to horrified onlookers as I unzipped my fly.

No matter what flavor of gumshoe you create though, your character is always a boozehound with amnesia, the one genre staple that remains true in every playthrough. You're always a loser who woke up on the floor missing a shoe.

Disco Elysium encourages you to play to your skillset by giving each skill a voice. In the classic text box where NPCs answer questions a skill like Authority will pop up to suggest that somebody needs to be manhandled, while Inland Empire—which takes subconscious insights and transforms them into dialogues with objects—has given my necktie the ability to suggest inappropriate things. Electro-Chemistry wants me to smoke a discarded cigarette butt while Visual Calculus is telling me the shoe size of footprints in the mud.

It's a glorious overflow of information. I have to block out irrelevant stuff like I'm telling Watson to shush because I'm on the edge of a breakthrough, for god's sake man just shut up, I'm trying to think here and I can't listen to you and my necktie at once.

To get prosaic for a second, all this is folded into a classic top-down RPG. I walk from location to location clicking on objects, picking up clues or just coins, then interrogating every character who will let me climb their dialogue tree. It's Planescape: Torment if instead of being based on Dungeons & Dragons it was more like Life on Mars or China Mieville's novel The City and The City.

The thing about mysteries is that everything hinges on the solution, and if it falls apart at the finish that makes the time spent getting there feel wasted. The opening hours of Disco Elysium give me confidence, though. The writing's perfect for the genre, poetic in a "Raymond Chandler sneaking something profound past his editor" way, and there's a lot of detail to uncover. A side task to explore abandoned shops that might be cursed blew out into something far bigger than I expected.

What's more, playing through the opening a second time with a different loadout was just as interesting, changing the tone like I was watching a reboot with a different director. Now I want to go back a third time as a supergenius who can analyze tire tracks and tell you what car they came from while snapping at my long-suffering sidekick. The game's afoot, even if I've only got one shoe.

Disco Elysium will be out on October 15.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Kasparov The Measurehead character made me think of something and now I have to ask.

Is this game is in any way influenced by 1980s Schwarzenegger trash classic RED HEAT?

Mortmal

Arcane
So I've finished the first day. It's interesting that you don't really feel like a cop on the first day, you feel more like a drunken wreck trying to get his life back together. There are some cop elements, like interviewing suspects and what not, but a heavy theme is your past life and who you were, and trying to scrape up enough coin to just have a place to sleep for the night, let alone solve some smashing case.

So far I'm going with stats of:

Intellect - 2
Psyche - 6
Physique - 1
Motorics - 3

And I'm leaning toward being an empathetic cop, suggestive, with good understanding of pop culture and gut feelings. I've also internalized the thought of being a balls-to-the-wall, superstar cop. This is a big type of personality who lives hard and fast on the edge and doesn't care who knows it. :)

I guess I've said everything I wanted to so far about the game. It's great, looking forward to more days and more interactions with the townsfolks.

Is it a game that prefer jack of all trade characters like stygian, or you get rewarded by specializing into something ?

Prime Junta

Is it a game that prefer jack of all trade characters like stygian, or you get rewarded by specializing into something ?

Yes. :M

No, really.

I've played through the first day with a number of different builds. Some of them are easier than others, but the harder ones tend to have more unique rewards. I have a non-scientific unverified feeling that the easiest-to-play builds have you split your points between two stats roughly evenly. If you completely minmax your secondary stat will be pretty weak and you will suffer for it. If you split everything evenly you'll have lots more options but you will have a hard time passing any of the really hard checks; also a lot of the Thoughts raise your learning caps and they're kind of wasted if your learning caps are already high because of your stat split. So I think a jack-of-all-trades build will be easier to play in the early game but it'll bite you in the arse later.

My favourite starter build is

Psyche 6, Motorics 4, pick your favourite Intellect skill as your signature, then use Volumetric Shit Compressor to raise your Endurance cap and put a couple of pips there so you won't have a heart attack at the first sign of trouble.

I don't know if this is "the best," probably not, but I've enjoyed playing it.

vota DC

Augur

No, really.

I've played through the first day with a number of different builds. Some of them are easier than others, but the harder ones tend to have more unique rewards. I have a non-scientific unverified feeling that the easiest-to-play builds have you split your points between two stats roughly evenly. If you completely minmax your secondary stat will be pretty weak and you will suffer for it. If you split everything evenly you'll have lots more options but you will have a hard time passing any of the really hard checks; also a lot of the Thoughts raise your learning caps and they're kind of wasted if your learning caps are already high because of your stat split. So I think a jack-of-all-trades build will be easier to play in the early game but it'll bite you in the arse later.

Psyche 6, Motorics 4, pick your favourite Intellect skill as your signature, then use Volumetric Shit Compressor to raise your Endurance cap and put a couple of pips there so you won't have a heart attack at the first sign of trouble.

What are starting attribute points? Some screen seems 10, more recent ones are 12. It is good 5 psyche, 3 motorics and intellect while physic dump stat? Or it is better two specialization and two dump stats? Can you even complete the game if you pump one attribute only and the other three stay at 1 value?

Comte

So I've finished the first day. It's interesting that you don't really feel like a cop on the first day, you feel more like a drunken wreck trying to get his life back together. There are some cop elements, like interviewing suspects and what not, but a heavy theme is your past life and who you were, and trying to scrape up enough coin to just have a place to sleep for the night, let alone solve some smashing case.

So far I'm going with stats of:

Intellect - 2
Psyche - 6
Physique - 1
Motorics - 3

And I'm leaning toward being an empathetic cop, suggestive, with good understanding of pop culture and gut feelings. I've also internalized the thought of being a balls-to-the-wall, superstar cop. This is a big type of personality who lives hard and fast on the edge and doesn't care who knows it. :)

I guess I've said everything I wanted to so far about the game. It's great, looking forward to more days and more interactions with the townsfolks.

Hey who gave Fluent a copy?

Mortmal

Arcane

No, really.

Ok good to know, seems much better design that usual then.

Prime Junta

What are starting attribute points?

Current build has 8 points you can distribute. Base value for each skill is 1. So 6-4, 6-3-2, 5-4-2, 4-3-3-2, 3-3-3-3 etc are all legit. Additionally you get to pick a Signature skill, which adds a point to the skill and raises the learning caps of all skills in the same stat by 1.

Some screen seems 10, more recent ones are 12. It is good 5 psyche, 3 motorics and intellect while physic dump stat?

It'll work. I just started a new game with 5 Intellect, 4 Physique, 2 Psyche and Authority as Signature skill. It's... really different. I can't observe anything for shit but I'm pretty clever, also I think I could take Measurehead with a bit of luck which would open up some possibilities.

Measurehead's a hoot. Our Polish comrades will be especially appreciative I think.

Or it is better two specialization and two dump stats? Can you even complete the game if you pump one attribute only and the other three stay at 1 value?

You'd need to not use your starting skill points to leave three of them at 1. I don't know how that would affect your chances of finishing the game

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Last time when I checked, today isn't 15th october and building your character way before release is gamble, because next path can change anything (Sawyer and his PoE balance patches says hi), so calm down people and wait for release.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Anyone else going for high Physique and psyche build? I never go for full muscle builds because devs rarely make it interesting. But the amount of work put in the skill development is impressive,thus making want to try and play a brute of a bastard :).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom