Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok fuck off Kasparov the tribunal is bugged.
I fucked up the dude and kib blew the other dude's head,also the workers runned way,yet on when i wake up the game thinks that most them died in a fucking fire fight! Who the fuck killed the rest ughh?? Was there a magical unicorn in the back with a bazooka ? There was only one cunt that wasted her ammo killing a dude,and the fuck that i shot! Even they charged,they would have killed the prone dude without a problem lol!

Sentinel

Arcane
Why does the game not let me do any actual detective work?
This is a mentally ill role playing game, not a detective role playing game. All the investigations are railroaded, you don't need to pay attention to any details or threads, and threads are constantly locked behind plot advancements.

The detective part was just window dressing
Yeah that's what I'm finding too. Think I'll just drop the game, don't even know why I'm forcing myself through it. It's nothing remarkable.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder how many of the people saying this isn't an RPG are tabletoppers. Because as somebody who plays many non-combat-centric tabletop RPGs and as somebody who runs Call of Cthulhu, a game where combat is kept to a minimum (in Cthulhu Dark it's not even an option really) and the majority of what you accomplish is done via investigation, exploration and dialogue, I'm feeling a serious disconnect with that opinion.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
y5ATUwS.png

:drink:

Yeah, I had a good laugh at that one too. Especially the next part, where Burke accidentally hit your ledger, and you were more drunk than he was, and almost beat him to death with it. Good times.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
If the_mole and Nick keep derailing the thread with their fantasies, can we have a thread split, so they can tug each other off away from the game conversation?

Infinitron you're services may be needed.

Jinx1337

Novice
11 years of lurking RPGCodex and I finally create an account because of this game.

As much as I am absolutely in love with this product, I may have encountered a game breaking bug; I am not awarded any skill points for leveling up.
The message shows up, there's the icon notification, but once I go into stats menu, there is no point being awarded.

Anyone else encoutered the same? It currently made me put my playthrough on hold.

I have uploaded the savegames if anyone is interested.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlpjIRF8_Bb41FgWLeB3C54ejqIj?e=gEd18K

One is with the skill point already awarded (which dissapears after clicking the menu), the other one is just before earning the level (speak to the NPC, choose 8,2,3 and then whatever till the end of the convo).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
NO really fuck off! Getting that 3% check successfully in the tribunal does absolutely nothing!!! The whole shit is railroaded as shit in waste canal!!!

Goose

Learned
If the_mole and Nick keep derailing the thread with their fantasies, can we have a thread split, so they can tug each other off away from the game conversation?

Infinitron you're services may be needed.

Look at this fag.

the_mole mildly critics game length and the ability to roleplay as a hobocop in his so called "role playing game"

Then the dev derails into a chaturbate jerk off contest and somehow the_mole should be removed.

When did codex become an antifa stronghold?

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Look at this fag.

the_mole mildly critics game length and the ability to roleplay as a hobocop in his so called "role playing game"

Then the dev derails into a chaturbate jerk off contest and somehow the_mole should be removed.

The mole, is that you?

Goose

Learned
Look at this fag.

The mole, is that you?

You are now the 5th person to call me an alt. Congrats on being a world class cuck.

If everyone on Codex was banned for slamming their semi nerve dead meathunks on their keyboards until a series of letters resembling a senseless inflammatory statement that made them feel good about themselves was in the reply field, there'd be no codex, just a shitty right wing ResetEra.

Stakhanov

Augur
How does this stack against Stygian in C&C factor alone? Are it's quests doable through myriad ways based on the different stats/skills you bring and choices you pick?
More subtly in comparison. Stygian follows the FO1 blueprint, whereas Disco Elysium's skills/character building more determine your internal monologue. This opens up different checks and different perspectives, some of which can majorly change the way you view characters and the story, but at the same time there is a degree of railroading and checks you need to pass to continue.

It's not pyrotechnic c and c, but I would say it is impactful in a different way from virtually any other roleplaying game. It reminds me a little of how that Call of Cthulhu game tried to adapt the pen and paper skills, where you can see different things in the environment and interact with the world in different ways, but much more fleshed out.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
How the fuck am I supposed to pass the Shiver check

To find Ruby in the abandoned house? I checked the murial, and i need a crazy shiver check., I got 4 shiver.. and its 3 %??? fuck me.. help

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Liked the game overall, even if I personally wouldn't consider it an RPG. I do like adventure games though, so this genre confusion didn't bother me that much.

I'm contemplating waiting for patches/DLCs and trying it again. But this time treat it as what it is, a story-driven adventure game. Go around, solve the cases, don't worry about larping. Trying to play it like an RPG is what ruined it for me. There's a great game in there, but it's not an RPG and I'm not sure proper combat would help. Ruleset and mechanics are simply much more limited than they appear at first glance.
If you went into it and expected a CRPG, it's easy to see how you'd be disappointed. Having not kept up with the development of the game and going into it with low expectations and few preconceptions, I was very pleasantly surprised.

But also, I've always been a huge sucker for adventure games, and especially if it happens to have any RPG aspects to it at all. The CYOA nature of the game is just gravy.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
I like that you can make some checks easier by doing the detective work and increasing the die roll percentage. But the trade off is loosing daylight to do aforementioned investigation and vacuum in all the details.
I also like that getting people to do literally anything for you is hard.

Kasparov what is the logic behind having to spend a skill point on forgetting thoughts? Is it to stop players from picking and choosing them based on stats and to sort of force role playing where you choose thoughts based on description?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

To find Ruby in the abandoned house? I checked the murial, and i need a crazy shiver check., I got 4 shiver.. and its 3 %??? fuck me.. help

You can get at least +15 worth of bonus points for that Shivers check by doing side quests along the coast.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

Explore the island. Be in tune with it. Do things on it

I did all that shit, doesnt work, how much more do I seriousl need to do? I've done most stuff

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
So how do the passive skill checks work in this game? Does the game actually rolls the dice and add your skill modifier or does it take the average of the two die (so 6) and adds it up?
From what I've tested, passive checks succeed when Stat + Skill + 6 equals difficulty; ranging from 6 (trivial) to 20 (impossible), thus making even stat values generally preferable, because with S+S < 2 you will botch even the 8 (easy) checks, like noticing the window in your room is broken. However there seem to be exceptions, eg. Reaction check when Klaasje goes to her room has difficulty o 9 (easy), IDK if it's a bug or design.

Explore the island. Be in tune with it. Do things on it

I did all that shit, doesnt work, how much more do I seriousl need to do? I've done most stuff
If you did it ALL, the bonus will be like +8. If you're still too low, get some booze in you, see what you're wearing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom