Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
90-hour epic thriller turned out to be a 15 hour short story.

"Open world" is packed with soft-locks and plot gating.

Unparalleled roleplay possibilites turn out so limited you cant even roleplay a hobo even though you're starting as one.

11/10 false advertising.

Seriously though, I played like 6 hours before giving up, everything is packed with content so it's not like it's a short game. But yeah, I can't imagine taking 60 hour to finish and 90-hour playthrough is only possible if you're a blind man and need someone to read all the text to you.

Deleted Member 16721

Unparalleled roleplay possibilites turn out so limited you cant even roleplay a hobo even though you're starting as one.

11/10 false advertising.

Just curious, I thought you weren't here to troll?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

11/10 false advertising.

Just curious, I thought you left?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

11/10 false advertising.

I wanted but you keep tagging me. I guess you secretly feel ashamed for being a shill and long for punishment from your Big Daddy Nick.

Terenty

Liturgist
There's some replayability i guess but once you know the end of a thriller , theres not much point to reread it.
That's why I've decided to do three simultaneous playthroughs with different characters. You can explore one section of the game in different ways before moving forward, and it feels like a single playthrough.

Are they different enough?

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
How long does it take for the average console button masher who can't even be bothered to capitalize his own name?
probably under 30 hours, and a handheld game required more brainpower than disco probably does, because you had to actually overcome an enemy instead of changing pants to beat a skill check, that game was called final fantasy tactics and it blows most of the games you guys hold dear out of the water

by the way my lack of capitalization is just me being normal, i'm not forced to use grammar, this isnt a college class, i'm just talking to intellectually impaired people on the internet

Name checks out.
literally couldnt come up with a thought, you were meant to be swindled

Terenty

Liturgist
The thing that bothers me the most at the end of day 1 is that vast majority of checks are flavour text. Sometimes they open a new dialogue option which usually doesn't lead to anything interesting and dropped fast.

I specced into Inland Empire hoping to see some crazy stuff left and right, but although checks happen in every dialogue they are quite boring tbh.

So far the only crazy thing was the tie.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, it is a great game, but a bit short at 20-30 hours - unless you want to replay with a different build and act like a crazy mofo.
20-30 hours are not so bad. And I thought that playing with different builds was supposed to provide completely different outcomes so replays are welcome etc
It's pretty bad for an RPG, but about average for a modern adventure game (sadly).

You have to rush the main quest and turn down lots of side content to finish that quickly (or read much faster than I do). The developers said it’s a 30 hour game if you ignore most of the side content. If they said 30 hours and people who blitz the main quest are finishing it in 20, that doesn't seem too off base.

They said sixty hours for a non-OCD completionist run. Took me about 50 on my first playthrough, excluding all the time I spent restarting and replaying the first day, although I missed some stuff.

Edit: 4-5-1-2 build. INT and PSY may be chattier than FYS and MOT.

I specced into Inland Empire hoping to see some crazy stuff left and right, but although checks happen in every dialogue they are quite boring tbh.

Have you examined the corpse? That's where Inland Empire really shines on day one.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Liked the game overall, even if I personally wouldn't consider it an RPG. I do like adventure games though, so this genre confusion didn't bother me that much.

But what bothers me is how the ending felt unsatisfying -

- with the killer being someone outside the main group of characters. It just came out of left field. Also you can't analyse the last crime scene unless you progress past a certain encounter, restrictive and railroaded having no way of figuring out who the murderer is before the final meeting. Or well, at least I think so, but I seriously doubt there is a another way to progress here. The game doesn't really require you to draw your own conclusions in any way - except thinking about it from a story perspective in a meta sense. Most of the stuff are readily presented to you if you just clear some checks, but not having a detective story that ends with you pointing at a couple of suspects and going "whodunit" is just disappointing. That killed it a bit for me, and then we have... aliens?! I understand there is some super natural aspects to this world, but I found it kinda refreshing how grounded it was besides that, especially if you helped those cryptozoologists. If you wanted to you could believe them of course, but if you followed through on the quest by playing a down to earth logical guy it had this sad and somber ending to the quest that the world is like it is, set in rules and laws and everything super natural is just a wish for something more that does not exist. I liked that, but than in the end - HERE IS A MOTHER FUCKING ALIEN!
aliens.png

It ruined that moment for me, and I do realize that the opposite could be true as well of course, depending on how you played your detective...

Oh well, enjoyable game still.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane

lol at the end there about polish programmers; in the past I joked about the RPG studios who doesn't have engines of their own for all their long years of existence to hire some polish studio to make an engine for them and it turns out you can hire them by the squadron as ZA/UM did :P

HoboForEternity

LIBERAL PROPAGANDIST
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so i got an item that improve my shivers skill and got some checks. it's just creepy.

i also met the dice maker and she told
when me made a bell-call to one of the company from outside, one of them connected to something called something electrical or whatever, and it is defunct company from 100 years ago. what? did my call just travelled trough the past?

the para-natural aspect is really cool, and quite creepy.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Does anybody know if investing points into "Interfacing" makes those white-outlined locked containers lootable?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Liked the game overall, even if I personally wouldn't consider it an RPG. I do like adventure games though, so this genre confusion didn't bother me that much.

I'm contemplating waiting for patches/DLCs and trying it again. But this time treat it as what it is, a story-driven adventure game. Go around, solve the cases, don't worry about larping. Trying to play it like an RPG is what ruined it for me. There's a great game in there, but it's not an RPG and I'm not sure proper combat would help. Ruleset and mechanics are simply much more limited than they appear at first glance.

frajaq

Erudite
So how do the passive skill checks work in this game? Does the game actually rolls the dice and add your skill modifier or does it take the average of the two die (so 6) and adds it up?

Sentinel

Arcane
Why does the game not let me do any actual detective work?
This is a mentally ill role playing game, not a detective role playing game. All the investigations are railroaded, you don't need to pay attention to any details or threads, and threads are constantly locked behind plot advancements.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So how do the passive skill checks work in this game? Does the game actually rolls the dice and add your skill modifier or does it take the average of the two die (so 6) and adds it up?
They are hard checks,there is no die rolling,you either have the number or not.

Also did anyone managed to pass the merc tribunal without a fight?

Goose

Learned
Why does the game not let me do any actual detective work?
This is a mentally ill role playing game, not a detective role playing game. All the investigations are railroaded, you don't need to pay attention to any details or threads, and threads are constantly locked behind plot advancements.

The detective part was just window dressing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom