Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

SoupNazi

It's not letting me start a new game or load a save now. Just flat out won't work. Bizarre. Contacted Larian support so hopefully something happens there. Thanks for the responses!
Long shot, but maybe something to do with admin permissions? Run the game as admin?

Or even longer short, do you have space on the drive? :lol:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Long shot, but maybe something to do with admin permissions? Run the game as admin?

Thanks but I tried running as admin and all that. Out of curiousity though, how much space on the drive is needed to run the game? I mean it's installed fine but there's not a ton of space left on the drive. Could that be what's causing it perhaps?

SoupNazi

Thanks but I tried running as admin and all that. Out of curiousity though, how much space on the drive is needed to run the game? I mean it's installed fine but there's not a ton of space left on the drive. Could that be what's causing it perhaps?
No clue to be perfectly honest, it's been a long time since I played last, but I remember there was some bloat. Not Pathfinder levels of it, but maybe 50 MB in the later chapters or something. Which isn't much but if you have 50 different savegames, it might be an issue.

I've personally never had it, was just shooting ideas in the dark.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Well thanks anyway SoupNazi , appreciate u trying to help. Nothing gives though, I freed up more space both on my C and D drives and still, it worked ONE time just now to start a new game when I restarted my PC. Then I exited the game and tried again and, nothing. So strange. Guess I just have to play on my laptop with much inferior settings.

BruceVC

Magister
Well thanks anyway SoupNazi , appreciate u trying to help. Nothing gives though, I freed up more space both on my C and D drives and still, it worked ONE time just now to start a new game when I restarted my PC. Then I exited the game and tried again and, nothing. So strange. Guess I just have to play on my laptop with much inferior settings.
Hi Fluent " waves "

Have you defragmented your disk drive and or optimized it ?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ws-10-pc-048aefac-7f1f-4632-d48a-9700c4ec702a

If that makes no difference Run windows in Safe Mode with Network support and then see if it works consistently. If it does work then its more than likely not software\driver related and its hardware. Then we can assist with further troubleshooting

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2268-...ndows will start in Safe Mode with Networking.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I'll give it a shot a bit later. Going to play on my laptop and record my footage there for now. I had to turn the settings to Low but it should record at a respectable framerate now. Best I got at the moment. :) Thanks to all for trying to help. I'll keep tinkering with it here and there and see if i can somehow fix it. Larian just quoted a forum post i had already read and tried so, maybe the safe mode thing will work.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll give it a shot a bit later. Going to play on my laptop and record my footage there for now. I had to turn the settings to Low but it should record at a respectable framerate now. Best I got at the moment. :) Thanks to all for trying to help. I'll keep tinkering with it here and there and see if i can somehow fix it. Larian just quoted a forum post i had already read and tried so, maybe the safe mode thing will work.
Try formatting your c drive.

Sykar

Arcane
Try formatting your c drive.

Magnets do wonders for that if it is not a SSD.
:popcorn:

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
I;ve noticed some games don't like being installed on secondary drives. A couple games I struggled with werent working because I installled them to hdd drives, but some files went to the maiin C: drive and fucked them up with permissions. Uninstalling and reinstalling onto the primary drive with steam fixed with issue with several games.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I tried googling and someone had the same problem due to their anti virus. Have you tried turning that off?

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Yeah, I made an exception for the game in the firewall settings. IDK. Would try to move the game to my C: drive but right now i'm enjoying the game plenty on my laptop. Just had to turn the settings way down to enable recording at 1080p while playing. Works great though so I'm not gonna bother right now with my PC's install. Thanks though guys, when I feel like it I will apply some more of these tips to try and get it working. Take care all. <3

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Have you got anti virus as well? Firewall is a different beast. Sometimes they are part of the same package but firewall stops internet traffic, and anti virus basically stops files/programs from 'changing'.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
I don't think I have antivirus other than windows defender or whatever. I used to have Norton years ago but it's all uninstalled now. Very weird issue though huh? Thanks for the help!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've finally completed this. It's great. Yes, the round-robin initiative system is annoying at first, but it stops being a big deal after the first area. Didn't mind the armor system or item treadmill at all. Some powergamers suggest going all-in on either physical or magic damage, but I rolled with a hybrid party and made it through just fine.

Boris may not be a Kiril clone, but he made some fine tracks. I heavily suspect The Kid LAORI's guitarist was inspired by Lohse's theme when he wrote the melody for Without You. I never got tired of the heroic leitmotif that would kick in on the cello (the best instrument choice) whenever I killed the first enemy in a battle.

As for the writing, I didn't dislike it. Sure, Fort Joy lacks verisimilitude, but it has a lot of quality role playing. The companions I rolled with (Lohse, Ifan, Beast) were all entertaining, though I don't see the appeal of ever using The Red Prince and Ifan except to explore their content (fortunately they don't even try to impose themselves on you). It was an interesting decision to make the "good" factions just as evil as the "bad" factions; I ultimately went with giving everyone Sauce because Lucian and Dhallis's lack of remorse over their actions disgusted me.

I spent over 130 hours on it and feel that it had a similar pacing problem that Pillars of Eternity did; when I was ready for the plot to wrap up, it dumped another big city with a bunch of stuff to do on me. The content there wasn't bad, but it was exhausting, and I was amused to see that the Definitive Edition added another eight battles to that area (apparently enough people's problem with it is that it didn't have *enough* content????). I thought it was reasonably demanding from start to finish playing on Classic.

With the benefit of hindsight, I noticed that the final conversation with Tarquin hinted at Baldur's Gate 3 :P With my bandwidth problems resolved I should be able to get around to that much sooner than it took me to get around to playing this, though not until it's been thoroughly patched of course. I'm expecting another high quality role-playing game.

Is there gay propaganda in every game now? Ifan just tried to boink me in the ass without me ever hinting that I wanted his crossbow shoved deep in my turd factory.

So what gives you belgian cock suckers,you want everyone to smoke the pipe:selfhate:

Revisiting this, I didn't get any dialogue like this at all, but I didn't choose obviously gay dialogue options like *give Ifan a drink of water from your pack* like seriously man. :lol:

Codex Year of the Donut
With the benefit of hindsight, I noticed that the final conversation with Tarquin hinted at Baldur's Gate 3 :P
It's hinted at to more than once iirc. I think at the time people just thought it was merely some BG references rather than referencing Larian making BG3.

(apparently enough people's problem with it is that it didn't have *enough* content????)
The first time I did Arx was... strange. I'm pretty sure it was possible to heavily sequence break it to the point where nothing made sense, and that's exactly what I did.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How did you find the last battle?
My allies ended up kiling Bwaccus Waccus. I tried to get to him and kill him with an enraged anathema attack but he teleported away. All my characters were loaded up with the tea that subtracted -2 AP and I made as many of the largest health and physical/magic armor potions as I could so they weren't in too much danger.

It's hinted at to more than once iirc. I think at the time people just thought it was merely some BG references rather than referencing Larian making BG3.

It's not a BG-specific reference, he says he's discovered a new world filled with creatures who feed on minds. I'm expecting a cameo.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I vaguely remember something about Swen Vincke saying they weren't contacted by WOTC until after they had released DOS2. I'd like to believe that it's just a huge coincidence but it does make me wonder if they were trying to secure the rights to make BG3 during DOS2's development.
From what I recall the name of those 'creatures who feed on minds' is called Gustavchen which may or may not be a reference to 'Project Gustav' which was Larian's WIP title for BG3.

Codex Year of the Donut
I vaguely remember something about Swen Vincke saying they weren't contacted by WOTC until after they had released DOS2. I'd like to believe that it's just a huge coincidence but it does make me wonder if they were trying to secure the rights to make BG3 during DOS2's development.
From what I recall the name of those 'creatures who feed on minds' is called Gustavchen which may or may not be a reference to 'Project Gustav' which was Larian's WIP title for BG3.
It was after the EA releases but before the entire game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Boris may not be a Kiril clone, but he made some fine tracks. I heavily suspect The Kid LAORI's guitarist was inspired by Lohse's theme when he wrote the melody for Without You. I never got tired of the heroic leitmotif that would kick in on the cello (the best instrument choice) whenever I killed the first enemy in a battle.
Did you get to see Lohse's celebratory jam after defeating the spoilers spoilers? I played through it in coop and both me and my buddy fell silent throughout, it was pretty awesome after the intense fight that we barely edged.

With the benefit of hindsight, I noticed that the final conversation with Tarquin hinted at Baldur's Gate 3 :P
Strongly disagree, obviously it was meant as DLC/expansion announcement, as well as the general setup with the ship as your base to travel to places, and the whats-her-name-half-demon-lady saying she feels glad to have a demigod owe her, and she has some business she needs help with. Also they straight up announced and then cancelled some multiplayer focused game using just the combat from DOS2, something X-COM style.
Clearly they got the Baldur's Gate 3 deal after Divinity Original Sin 2 succeeded, and cancelled its expansion to focus on BG3.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Yes, the round-robin initiative system is annoying at first, but it stops being a big deal after the first area.

The round-robin system undermines any party play in a turn-based game. It also heavily encourages playing with less characters. You are at your most powerful going "lone" wolf

Didn't mind the armor system or item treadmill at all.

What the hell. Item treadmill is literally worse than a Korean mmo. It is one of the most autistic and badly designed systems ever.

Some powergamers suggest going all-in on either physical or magic damage, but I rolled with a hybrid party and made it through just fine.

Power gaming? It is basic logic. Of course one can play games sans basic logic.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Did you get to see Lohse's celebratory jam after defeating the spoilers spoilers? I played through it in coop and both me and my buddy fell silent throughout, it was pretty awesome after the intense fight that we barely edged.
Yes, that was very cathartic. Larian showing Bioware how it's done (the cringe songs from DA:O and Inquisition).

Strongly disagree, obviously it was meant as DLC/expansion announcement, as well as the general setup with the ship as your base to travel to places, and the whats-her-name-half-demon-lady saying she feels glad to have a demigod owe her, and she has some business she needs help with. Also they straight up announced and then cancelled some multiplayer focused game using just the combat from DOS2, something X-COM style.
Clearly they got the Baldur's Gate 3 deal after Divinity Original Sin 2 succeeded, and cancelled its expansion to focus on BG3.

From what we know about the plot of Fallen Heroes, it wasn't about traveling to another world. It was about the war between the races, the Bloodless, and Malady following her own agenda. As mentioned, Project Gustav was the codename for BG3 and Swen said they started on it a month before full release.
Swen said:
“As we were already finishing DOS2, we actually a month before we sat in a hotel room for a weekend and worked on the next thing,” said Larian Studios founder and CEO Swen Vincke.

The game is codenamed Project Gustav, after his dog, and “it blends the same things that we’ve been exploring all the time. It’s going to be narrative, systems, multiplayer, new things, new ideas.”

The round-robin system undermines any party play in a turn-based game. It also heavily encourages playing with less characters. You are at your most powerful going "lone" wolf

As I said, I was aggravated on the first island, but after that, you've grown sufficiently in power that it's not a noticeable penalty when things get reshuffled. I don't like it and I'd rather not see it again, but it's no longer a big deal dozens of hours in. :P

What the hell. Item treadmill is literally worse than a Korean mmo. It is one of the most autistic and badly designed systems ever.

Just Swen being Swen. As with the initiative system, it becomes less essential to immediately upgrade all your weapons once you hit the 10s though there's still a clear benefit to doing so.

Power gaming? It is basic logic. Of course one can play games sans basic logic.

Some enemies have really high physical armor, some have really high magic armor. If you go all-in on one, its going to be more of a pain to fight the other. With a hybrid party instead of "some are quick to kill, some are a slog" it evens out more or less and allows for easier crowd controlling of the entire enemy force.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom