Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Not only amazing reviews, but reviews which see no faults at all, except minor bugs or ridiculous personal preferences like different key bindings. Some numerical ratings don't correspond to the written review, like the 4/5 one.

GrainWetski

Arcane
The initiative system is dumb, yeah. Outside of wanting the absolute first turn in combat, there's no reason to go more than 13-12-11-10 in wits(well, initiative) on your characters.

Hyped game gets amazing reviews, what a surprise. Why didn't they call it GOTY already.

At least it's a turn-based RPG getting good reviews instead of some generic action trash.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Not only amazing reviews, but reviews which see no faults at all, except minor bugs or ridiculous personal preferences like different key bindings. Some numerical ratings don't correspond to the written review, like the 4/5 one.
This is what pisses me off the most. I love the game, but people that pretend that it has no issues just to follow along with the hype or lick developer butthole deserves to be gassed. D:OS2 has some very real issues, the discussion of which are being buried by people that should be on ventilators in case they forget to breathe.
BTW, Rupture Tendons is a hilarious skill for reasons more than one:

1. You can cast through armour.
2. The damage goes through armour straight into HP.
3. It also does damage for distance travelled when the enemy teleports :lol:

My coop bro used it on some rainjerk enemy at full hp, who then used tactical retreat... and died upon landing :lol:
Oh, man, that's just fucking broken. I cannot imagine that it's anything other than a bug. Let's just pretend that him landing from that tactical retreat hurt a lot. You shouldn't run with a ruptured tendon - imagine what your doctor would tell you if you took fucking leaps.

It's also hilarious that you can cut tendons through armor, but you can't swear at the enemy and call 'em cunts.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Hyped game gets amazing reviews, what a surprise. Why didn't they call it GOTY already.
...but No Mans Sky received 10 more times hype
Yes, but it also got massive shit right on release. Gaming Jews may be delusional opportunists that doesn't know jack shit about what they're writing about, eagerly jumping on any band-wagon for attention, but even they would have to be functionally retarded to praise No Mans Sky.

Ruzen

Savant
That's what I'm trying to say even though games getting hyped at the start, the reviews still could go both ways. Even you are saying the same thing. People saw how BS that game was and received negative reviews despite how hyped it was.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys don't forget that 90% of the issues we notice are meta-gaming issues that the average player won't care about. We must never forget that we are nerds in here.

I bet that for example most people won't give a flying fuck about the initiative system. Some dude in the Larian forums even said that it's good because "it's fair" as if my PC would feel sad if I treat it unfairly or something

*Also if Dragon Age : Inquisition has an 85 metascore from reviewers D:OS2 should have approximately 123, so I'm fine with the super reviews

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
At least it's a turn-based RPG getting good reviews instead of some generic action trash.
"There are no bad tactics, only bad targets" - Taylor Swift.

These reviews are terrible and betray their writer's complete ignorance, regardless of how happy you may be to see success for Larian (I am as well, to be clear). The pcgamesn title dubbed it the "best strategy game since Xcom". I don't see how this kind of reception is good for crpgs.
This is what pisses me off the most. I love the game, but people that pretend that it has no issues just to follow along with the hype or lick developer butthole deserves to be gassed. D:OS2 has some very real issues, the discussion of which are being buried by people that should be on ventilators in case they forget to breathe.
"BUT IT'S LARIAN'S TURN!1!1!$%"

The rising tide may raise all ships, but who wants to sail in an ocean of shit?
Guys don't forget that 90% of the issues we notice are meta-gaming issues that the average player won't care about. We must never forget that we are nerds in here.
I don't think there's any danger of that.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I generally don't mind the AI cheating in strategy and tactics games, at least to an extent. I don't even mind it cheating in combat-oriented RPGs for the sake of more challenge.

Most of the time some form of asymmetry is the only realistic way single-player tactical games can force the player to use the breadth of his toolset.

That said, what they appear(still not sure of how it exactly works under the hood) to have done with the initiative system seems not to have been thought through so far. It is one thing to give the AI a fighting chance and another to extirpate an entire possibility from the tactical ecosystem; which is what they have done by taking an approach that doesn't allow for the combat role of Initiative-oriented Wits-based characters that focus on speed. Eliminating the usefulness of builds is not only a flaw of the character system, but also impoverishes combat by limiting the amount of combat roles, the absolute nadir being, of course, the infamous tank-dps-healer trinity from MMOs.

Also, too much asymmetry also runs the risk of making aspects of the ruleset unintelligible, and in RPGs it can also result in builds that look viable on paper not playing out properly due to the inconsistencies. The initiative system here seems to be a good example of both those issues. I feel for the bros that wasted points in Wits early game.

This is by far the biggest flaw of the combat system IMO, and I hope Larian addresses it in a future patch. But that would require a major rebalancing, so I would not be too optimistic about that prospect.

Last edited:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Nah, I know D:OS 2 gets all the 9 and 10 beceause it's GOOD. Good is enough these days to be considered perfection, second coming of Christ.
Or maybe it always was. Who would dare to say AAA game is good and then rate it 7-7,5? I don't really balme them... except I do. They made this 'toxic' community.
They were the ones to inflate ratings in the first place, they should repair it. Game reviewers should really reach any consensus and balance the reviews.

The saddest thing is, that Larian really thinks they made perfect game. Oh, they understand flawes, but flaws are meaningless to them.
At this point reviewers and general mainstream serve them as Yes-Men and will praise anything they do.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The saddest thing is, that Larian really thinks they made perfect game. Oh, they understand flawes, but flaws are meaningless to them.
At this point reviewers and general mainstream serve them as Yes-Men and will praise anything they do.

This is what I fear most, as well. Larian taking mainstream reviews at face value and start thinking they are perfect virtuous flower children who can do no wrong or don't need to listen to 'those people' who "criticize" the obviously perfect end result. Or they do recognize the critiques as justified, but don't do anything about it because they get 10/10s from mainstream reviews anyway.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Swen doesn't really sound like that to me. But who knows, popularity can be a powerful drug.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Stealing in this game is too damn easy,almost ruins the game for me,but the tempation to steal dem shiny armor plates and beautifully ornated staffs are too damn high.

Just can't help myself:negative:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Have they fixed the quest related issues? where can one check some form of organized patch notes for all the udpates they have released so far?

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Niklasgunner

Savant
Stealing in this game is too damn easy,almost ruins the game for me,but the tempation to steal dem shiny armor plates and beautifully ornated staffs are too damn high.

Just can't help myself:negative:

Want me to ruin it even more for you? You can steal from a trader 4 times by just respeccing your characters, endlessly if you bother hiring mercenaries.

They should have let you rob an NPC once per party, not once per character.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Maybe the AI is ignorant of AoO's because they're not a guaranteed thing? You have to take a talent to activate them after all. Maybe they thought it was more realistic for the AI to not assume the player had them? I would agree that's dumb, but its a possible explanation.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Does iniative still allow the PC to move every character first on turn 1? If alternating turns only kick in on the 2nd turn it's not so bad, maybe even preferable in some cases since you won't get tag teamed by four AI in a row without a chance to respond.

KateMicucci

Arcane
Maybe the AI is ignorant of AoO's because they're not a guaranteed thing? You have to take a talent to activate them after all. Maybe they thought it was more realistic for the AI to not assume the player had them? I would agree that's dumb, but its a possible explanation.
The player can see if enemies have Opportunist, along with their resistance levels, stats and many other things. The AI should have at least as much knowledge.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

If you're one of the people who thinks D:OS 1 was better, let me remind you that Swen came out with a blog post saying it was a flawed game just days after it received a GOTY award from GameSpot.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The most important question. Is it better than original sin?
It is definitely better in a lot of aspects. There are only some dubious decisions in combat which might not bother most people but for some they are super annoying.

The more I think about it it seems like they "balanced" combat to make ... the PvP fair? Because that also exists? And they had it in the beta for too long so people were testing that a lot? Which of course is a stupid move but ...oh well..

Other than that the game improved in quality and content in most aspects. Writing is better, there is an incredible amount of quality content in every inch of the maps, voice overs are good, graphics are excellent and you have SO MANY tools in your disposal it's crazy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom