Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Niklasgunner

Savant
I don't understand how Larian managed to make summons even more overpowered than in the first game, did they not learn anything from the predecessor?
In Div OS1 they died relatively quickly, but they were a good way to distract enemies from your party members for a while.

Now I can finish fights on tactician without even having any of my party members involved in combat. When they die I can just recast a summon from a save distance, walk them back into the encounter, repeat. They shouldn't be able to deal as much damage as player characters, ignoring the fact that getting them into combat without the threat of the caster being hurt in the first place is also really cheesy. :?

KateMicucci

Arcane
The most important question. Is it better than original sin?
The more I think about it it seems like they "balanced" combat to make ... the PvP fair? Because that also exists? And they had it in the beta for too long so people were testing that a lot? Which of course is a stupid move but ...oh well..
The PVP may as well not exist in its current state. There are only four characters and they can't be customized. Hopefully the PVP will get a content patch.

Seethe

Arbiter
Game is definitely not a decline compared to the first. With a few combat armor/shield tweaks(not making cc useless) and reverting the initiative changes, it's already better than the first. Not perfect still, due to some stats being crappy and some talents being underwhelming, but good nonetheless. Story/world/quest-wise it's obviously superior. I know people like to shit on Larian's writing, but DIVOS 2 has significantly less "lolsorandum" humor, and a bit more of a serious tone. The humor is just enough to notice that it's Larian, but less than enough to annoy you. Fuck the companions though, Fane and Sebille are some of the biggest edgelords I've seen.

Artyoan

Arbiter
I just got done playing the D:OS1 last night on the EE and can confirm that regularly would enemies run about the battlefield and then return to somewhere near their original starting point and do nothing. Usually only one enemy seemed to do this per battle but nearly every battle with 5+ enemies had one guy with severely stunted development.

It didn't bother me all that much. If anything I thought enemies were spreading damage out in such a way as to deliberately ensure none of my people would die. Blessed be Astarte. She stupidly opened the Godbox and spread the stupidity the world over.

Shadenuat

Arcane
How do you check xyz coordinates?

Can't find 3d altar in act 2. Almost level 18. Got between rivers altar and one with forest dick and wolves.

Also can't find book do exlode corpses for trader... and a deer in flowers or whatever for ghost of deer.
3d altar is right across Paladin waypoint river, and void deer are also there.

Oh and Taste of Freedom, got gem, what to do? its secret under one of houses in main city

And Sorrows, stop bell ringing for captain, what to do? Can't find any bells.just cast spirit sight

Closed everything else I believe. Blood Island was last I finished some quests, pretty macabre place with secrets, liked.

Also Grog 18 lever troll got his Meteor Shower for 9000 damage. Megumin-style.

I think if you rush Source Vampirism (14 level quest) act 2 might be super easy. Depending on how you get your 3 dots in source I guess...

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Mechanically it's worse (chance to resist > armor system), though I do like the new disciplines/fields of magic (polymorph, summoning) and I like the tags -- even though they're mostly fluff. Removal of the rock-paper-scissors is better, too. I also like that 'undead' is more uhh... fleshed out (hur hur) but dislike that the feats are overall less impressive than the first.

However, I'm still enjoying it a lot. I am not eager to find reasons to hate the game tho, so eh.

Still early on, but so far I'd say that I like it about as much but if I had to recommend a person play one of the games and not the other, I'd say OS1 so far. This opinion may change when the enhanced edition and/or expansion is dropped though.

Lord knows my opinion of Divinity 2 improved with the inclusion of Flames of Vengeance.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Arrived at driftwood @chapter 3 with my rerolled tact run: undead knight and FANENEEE

Breezing throgh most stuff, but boss fights are challenging. I like it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In comparing this game with D:OS 1, there's been lots of focus on the systems here, less on content. Story, pacing, quests, encounter design?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Shit. I have no idea why they even keep dropping Braccus Rex around all the time as if he was anything more than a shitty dos1 early game villain whose only features were laughing a lot and tossing fireballs around.

idk, all i know is i'm just running around doing things and that's all, but it's not liek the first was much different

mostly crap

encounter design?

doom 3 style monster closets

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Shit. I have no idea why they even keep dropping Braccus Rex around all the time as if he was anything more than a shitty dos1 early game villain whose only features were laughing a lot and tossing fireballs around.

idk, all i know is i'm just running around doing things and that's all, but it's not liek the first was much different

mostly crap

encounter design?

doom 3 style monster closets
Review when?

when i get even angrier and i've already reached the boiling point

Shadenuat

Arcane
Story - gets better at second part of act 2. It's funny how dickish everyone are and how even your gods are dickish.

Quests - not enough quests like Cursed Pigs, or Blood Island stuff. Too much weird random and bugged and broken shit. Unexpected turns and long running consequences are great sometimes, but often baffling and/or bugged. Not enough detective work.

Encounter design - mixed. Too many cheesy ambushes. Whatever is rest often ruined by game systems - initiative, under/over leveled party or monsters. At times you get omfg one shotted and think it's difficult, at times you left-click everything. Very rarely it feels like encounter was exactly and fairly tailored to your tactic and abilities and you shouldn't either come back after leveling up or beat it simply because you are at good level and have good items.

Worst part of everything - how many quests end up with you bashing your own quest giver's skull no matter how many persuasion checks you pass. Game is combat, otherwise you're underleveled. Many things you do are competely meaningless (immortal companions in act 1, doesn't matter if you help them or not on ship in prologue, and then suddenly not your companions die in act 2, wtf).

Good extra - companion will leave you permanently if you choose wrong things... although choices are baffling and you may not even have a slightest of idea what the fuck just happened (Red Prince an his argonian maid - what? she is who? you what? maybe asassins? you leave because what? WHAT HAPPENING STORY I DONTEVEN)...

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
In comparing this game with D:OS 1, there's lots of focus on the systems here, less on content. Story, pacing, quests, encounter design?

I like the premise a lot more, especially the idea that Alexander himself is collared as well. It has a tone of desperation to stave off what they view as a potential apocalypse by voidwoken invasion, and the failed to be divine's son is making hard decisions. I think a lot more could be explored here, but Larian are not great at writing compelling dialog in this vein. I hope the thread isn't dropped into a generic "stop evil" like OS 1 went with it's reimagining of the garden of eden + snake + apple story.

The dialog is p much same as in the first game, perhaps a bit less goofy (you're not greeted by a talking cat, and the early enemies are not funny sounding orcs).

I've been fine with the encounters, and I do like how nearly every fight takes place in what is basically an arena with lots of connected paths that allow you to reposition and use the environment tactically. I do also like that there are new environmental affects (cursed variations) but this is partially hampered by the lack of resist stats due to how the armor mechanic works. For example, slipping on ice.

Minor note, but I think the game looks great -- I was worried it might be painful on the eyes from some of the videos, but with the character highlighting turned off it looks quite nice.

Furthermore, you finally get to fight and kill the bastard from this album cover:

SODOM-IN-THE-SIGN-OF-EVIL-19841.jpg

Mojobeard

Augur
Story's alright to be honest. Less imps and cat wizards giving you infodumps. You just kind of go and stuff happens. It's not the most amazing thing ever created, that's fine, it doesn't irritate. It's solid fantasy.
Fight's range from varied terrain with multiple enemies (good), to you opening a door and getting your wizard eaten before getting a turn. But it's usually the former.
Quests aren't fetch quests. Or they're disguised well enough so you don't really notice.

Still, those aren't the problems. They're pretty alright. It's some of the other departments, like all the loot they keep shoveling at you. The "why does this cost 2 AP and that other thing 1?". The two part puzzles, that wink at the first part everywhere but not the second.

Murk

Arcane
I think the ship stays with you, you get an option to "send loot to storage on ship" as well. That's basically the new pocket dimension it seems (note: I haven't beat the game yet so not sure if things change.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom