Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He should've have waited until he had a working playable demo to Youtubers check the game out which is what Swern is doing with D:OS2. Would've help out his campaign that and not stupidly having his campaign during E3 week.
He still doesn't have a playable demo, nor a backer site.

Bonerbill

Augur
He should've have waited until he had a working playable demo to Youtubers check the game out which is what Swern is doing with D:OS2. Would've help out his campaign that and not stupidly having his campaign during E3 week.

That wouldn't have done jack. Casuals don't gives a crap about the first person dungeon crawler genre. Might and Magic X steamspy results is proof enough. The only reason why this game even made it to 1.5 mill on kickstarter because of InXile's name.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That wouldn't have done jack. Casuals don't gives a crap about the first person dungeon crawler genre. Might and Magic X steamspy results is proof enough. The only reason why this game even made it to 1.5 mill on kickstarter because of InXile's name.
I think one of the reasons that MMX didn't do well, is that it's Ubisoft that published it, The setting is kind of shit (nobody likes Ashan), and the graphics were kind of dull.

There wasn't really much going for it, definitely not anything that'd bring in 'new' customers to the series.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Casuals don't gives a crap about the first person dungeon crawler genre. ... The only reason why this game even made it to 1.5 mill on kickstarter because of InXile's name.
Well, generally speaking, that much is undoubtedly true, but the other half of your post not so much.

That wouldn't have done jack. ... Might and Magic X steamspy results is proof enough.
How you can think that showing popular youtubers visibly enjoy the game, not having their thunder swept away by countless E3 news and last but not least being more active during the campaign (comments, updates) wouldn't have netted inXile at least 500k more, maybe twice that, is beyond me.
And MM10 had multiple additional problems, so it isn't quite representative.

I think one of the reasons that MMX didn't do well, is that it's Ubisoft that published it, The setting is kind of shit (nobody likes Ashan), and the graphics were kind of dull.
Well, lulzy arms and armors (particularly among Haven heroes) aside, I don't hate it, but there isn't really anything to love about it, either.
That said, Ubisoft failed phenomenally at budgeting, marketing and sales expectations.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How you can think that showing popular youtubers visibly enjoy the game, not having their thunder swept away by countless E3 news and last but not least being more active during the campaign (comments, updates) wouldn't have netted inXile at least 500k more, maybe twice that, is beyond me.
And MM10 had multiple additional problems, so it isn't quite representative.

Ask yourself this: do you think a blobber Kickstarter could have gotten more money than what D:OS 2, the sequel to the most successful RPG of this type by far (and one that's still fresh in people's memories unlike the ancient Bard's Tale series) is going to get? Because it's probably not going to get 500k more than what BT4 did, and certainly not twice that.

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Can't wait for this grounded and more mature game in the Divinity series.
*camouflages as a boulder with legs and walks away*

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm expecting Divinity 2 levels of "maturity". (I liked Divinity 2, just saying.)

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Ask yourself this: do you think a blobber Kickstarter could have gotten more money than what D:OS 2, the sequel to the most successful RPG of this type by far (and one that's still fresh in people's memories unlike the ancient Bard's Tale series) is going to get? Because it's not going to get 500k more than what BT4 did, and certainly not twice that.
Well, DOS may have been the most successful in recent memory, but inXile (and their pedigree) is still the bigger name, WL2 wasn't exactly a flop, and Fargo can sell people almost anything when he actually tries instead of BT4's uninspired half-assery.
Plus, while it may seem unlikely at this point, I wouldn't say that DOS2 has no chance of reaching 2M anymore, as they'll make 1.75M even without a final rush.

Arkeus

Arcane
Well, DOS may have been the most successful in recent memory, but inXile (and their pedigree) is still the bigger name, WL2 wasn't exactly a flop, and Fargo can sell people almost anything when he actually tries instead of BT4's uninspired half-assery.
How the hell is a new studio with no half-decent game to its name have a better pedigree or name than Larian?

The big difference is that Larian isn't US (which means a lot of US people are biased against it) and that Fargo has a lot of friends in the industry who can hype him up. The actual pedigree... Larian's much, much better.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Obviously, I was talking about the Interplay legacy that keeps getting drummed up with Obsidian and inXile.

And not being American/British automatically makes Larian a smaller name (unbelievable I have to emphasize that this much) than they'd otherwise be.

Fry

Arcane
The big difference is that Larian isn't US (which means a lot of US people are biased against it)

Really? I imagine a lot of Americans had never heard of Larian before DOS, but I'm willing to bet the US-to-Europe backer spread on DOS2 won't be tremendously different from an inXile game.

Arkeus

Arcane
Really? I imagine a lot of Americans had never heard of Larian before DOS, but I'm willing to bet the US-to-Europe backer spread on DOS2 won't be tremendously different from an inXile game.
Larian has been a known developer for a good long while now. "Not being US" is a HUGE thing not because of "not known", but because of "immediately assumed to be of lower quality".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I wonder if any part of the OS 2 Kickstarter's success is due to listing Sacramento instead of Ghent as the company location.

Fry

Arcane
Larian has been a known developer for a good long while now. "Not being US" is a HUGE thing not because of "not known", but because of "immediately assumed to be of lower quality".

Eh? I'm not sure if this argument is coming from the perspective that American game buyers are dedicated xenophobes, or it's just insecure Europeans being insecure, but if a game is marketed in North America and it's good, it'll sell. "Buy American" really isn't a thing in video games. Bad localization is a thing. Lazy publishers are a thing.

I mean... do you think Sony and Nintendo are US companies? Is CD Project American?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Rockstar North is in freaking Scotland (though I doubt most people who buy GTA know that).

I'm not sure how nobody in the US would not have known about Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, or Divinity II + DKS. They were definitely present before D:OS.

Fry

Arcane
I'm not sure how nobody in the US would not have known about Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, or Divinity II + DKS. They were definitely present before D:OS.

Niche games and lousy marketing? Did Larian actually do the rounds at North American games sites/magazines and trade shows before DOS?

Niche games and lousy marketing? Did Larian actually do the rounds at North American games sites/magazines and trade shows before DOS?
Yes, Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, and Divinity II were all reviewed in well known PC gaming magazines like PC Gamer, the later Divinity II was also featured elsewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom