Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
"Adult mode" is still no. 1 though..

I wonder what this supercool feature is Sven blogs about.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I don't think they have the writing talent in-house to take them to that next level,

Yes they have, they can be innovative and smart at times, but they need to stop being this lazy with overarching plots and general stakes, which is yet another reason why their early to mid-games are pleasant, and their late games devolve into filler combat and shitty Good vs Evil pseudo-epics.

Basically here i wish those occasional smartasses, with their jokes and funny quests would pull their fingers out of their asses to try and become actually smart about everything they write...

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Swen's comments at his blog:

Oh, lest I forget - this time, please refrain from turning the latter third of the game into a never-ending stream of combat encounters... Because D:OS kind of fell into the same trap Divine Divinity did.

We're well aware of the last third problem and will put a lot of effort in preventing it from happening again - a lot of effort.

Small question though: have you decided whether you go full digital this time? Or will you still make physical stuff?

No sooner had I said full digital and people came up with all kinds of physical ideas. I honestly don't know yet.

I can't wait to hear more what you've planned for the soundtrack and music department. It will be (sadly has to be) quite a new start for the series since Kirill left us. I hope the direction of the music won't change that much. It was always one of the best and most iconic things of the Divinty games for me. Kirill's music created this very special atmosphere that made these games just a pleasure to play. I really, really hope that you found another skilled musician who could built upon Kirill's huge heritage. It's extremely hard to "replace" a genius though. I still can't believe he's dead... :(

We've been navigating around that topic for some time now but can't seem to make a decision. It's very hard to even consider somebody else. Kirill's been with us for a very long time & I don't think anybody here is ready yet to imagine somebody else taking his place. We'll have to eventually, but we'll still need some more time I'm afraid.

If you choose to do a console release and controller support, that's fine. But please, don't dumb down the experience - keep it like a true cRPG with a lot of depth.

No dumbing down, promised.

One thing that would go miles for me personally is fully voiced characters throughout the game. I really loved D:OS, but playing other expansive RPGs like The Witcher 3 really make me realize how much fuller the game feels with a fully voiced cast.

I don't know about the voices yet. For sure it makes D:OS EE a lot better, but with what we have planned for D:OS 2, that'd be an even much bigger undertaking. A lot more words by a lot more writers.

"While not all of the money is for us as we had private investors on board, the game did sufficiently well for us to envision funding our next endeavors with it, meaning we’re pretty happy about its performance."

I am curious to know what happened to that plan and all the money, why are you returning to KS?

We're funding the full game ourselves, without investors this time, at least for the moment, so it's the next step. But there are limits to our budget and anything that gets added on top of it as a result of the Kickstarter will make a big difference for the end result.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Witcher 3 has a made a lot of RPG fans, including more than a few purportedly oldschool ones, realize that they, for one, welcome their new voice acted cinematic/naturalistic dialogue overlords

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
If they double down as heavily on the "party personalities" angle as I suspect from the released art, then voicing everything would be a massive undertaking. Maybe as a $2 million stretch goal?

Athelas

Arcane
The attempts at naturalistic dialogue in AAA games are pretty bad. They come across as very self-consciously trying to mimic natural speech, with lots of awkward pauses and NPC's constantly interrupting their own sentences.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The attempts at naturalistic dialogue in AAA games are pretty bad. They comes across as very self-consciously trying to mimic natural speech, with lots of awkward pauses and NPC's constantly interrupting their own sentences.
Twitch3r does it well. The facial expressions are really good too

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Naturalistic dialogue is p. boring.
I find the exaggerated opposite, dramatic text-dumps, tend be a lot more boring.

EDIT: I say if they kept it about as on the level as some of their previous games were before D:OS, we should be fine.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I find the exaggerated opposite, dramatic text-dumps, to be a lot more boring.

Torment is generally quite popular here. When a company like Larian sends their market researchers to scout out the Codex, they're gonna come back with a strong endorsement of text dumps.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was thinking about Torment when I wrote it, I consider it to be one of the exceptions for RPGs. As in, I don't think many people can pull off text-dumps, and whenever Larian did it in Divine Divinity it mostly ended up with generic expository stuff instead of anything profound like Torment. They're at their best when it's concise and full of wit, I believe.

EDIT: I haven't played Dragon Commander (which was said to have great dialogue), so maybe they can pull off text dumps now and I just don't know it.

Last edited:

Cazzeris

I agree with concise writing being more adequate for dialogue in RPGs. I remember the fully-voiced characters in Fallout 1 as the best and most memorable ones in the game, and that's probably due to the fact that Mark O'Green wrote them with the talking heads in mind.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And that's why we can't have nice things. At least we have Torment: Tides of Numenera still to go before the short resurgence of novelistic RPG writing comes to an end. :argh:

deuxhero

Arcane
I hope the artstyle looks less like a cheap ancient MMO (every man is HUGE, every girl is a twig in heels, the gear design). I know they choose it so the game would run on integrated graphics, but damn did it look ugly.

deuxhero

Arcane
Huh, I thought I remembered seeing that mentioned somewhere.

I guess then there is no reason at all to have used it, which makes it worse.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Is it me or D:OS gives off a vibe similar to Chrono Cross?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom