Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SausageInYourFace

Codexian Sausage
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
GM Mode sounds like a stretchgoal where Larian could very easily overreach. It seems to me that such a mode would take a lot of time and effort to implement. Swen seems to be a bit too scared by that Dungeons & Dragon's Age game which he has cited as his main competitor and which is probably the inspiration here. But while that was designed with a GM mode right from the beginning, the Div:OS2 stretchgoal makes it seem like some kind of afterthought. I hope they know what they are in for.

Fairfax

Arcane
GM Mode sounds like a stretchgoal where Larian could very easily overreach. It seems to me that such a mode would take a lot of time and effort to implement. Swen seems to be a bit too scared by that Dungeons & Dragon's Age game which he has cited as his main competitor and which is probably the inspiration here. But while that was designed with a GM mode right from the beginning, the Div:OS2 stretchgoal makes it seem like some kind of afterthought. I hope they know what they are in for.
He actually said Sword Coast Legends is his main competitor? It's coming a year (or more) before D:OS2 and everything besides the DM mode looks like shit. The only competitor that we know of is TToN, and that's a bit of a stretch even before you consider it's unlikely they're going to be released in the same quarter.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Swen really, really likes multiplayer/co-op games and as a consequence he may have a tendency to overestimate their appeal.

TBH, it's going to reflect poorly on his judgement if SCL comes out and fails horribly.

Last edited:

Arkeus

Arcane
Mmmh. Well, at least he didn't actually say it to official press- and Bubbles didn't include it in his article, so even if/when it fails it won't hurt his reputation that much.

After all, the Codex already knows he is very biased toward co-op/GM games.
Which isn't actually a bad thing, as we want our developers to have their loves.

Plane Escapee

Your friend
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I really think that DM-mode could be incline if implemented properly, although the likelihood of that happening is low, unless a game was designed primarily around it as a feature...

I do hope they make it to the stretch goal. I have my fingers crossed that maybe Swen and/or whoever at Larian will be in charge of implementing it knows what they're doing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Was VtM: Redemption designed around its DM mode? I really don't remember. If Aenra (don't know how to tag members) is right and they do need 250k for DM mode, that's quite a juicy sum and wouldn't be as easy as I'd thought.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Was VtM: Redemption designed around its DM mode? I really don't remember. If Aenra (don't know how to tag members) is right and they do need 250k for DM mode, that's quite a juicy sum and wouldn't be as easy as I'd thought.

Around $130k more needed in 25 hours. Maybe this twichaton that starts in an hour will help.

Last day for DOS was quite fun, though, in many ways thanks to Kirill. :(

Aenra

Aenra (don't know how to tag members)

@ followed by member name. Sans the space
There are others here far more knowledgeable than me, but in my mind 250k isn't really that much considering the sheer number of devs currently employed. Taking further consideration of the actual goal to be achieved with said amount? See my other post about a day/night cycles debacle happening all over again.

Though as always, i do hope i'm proven wrong :)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Steaming is being delayed due to technical difficulties.

Btw: http://af.gog.com/news/design_the_goghero_in_divinity_original_sin_2?as=1649904300

DESIGN THE #GOGHERO IN DIVINITY: ORIGINAL SIN 2

Calling all gamers!

Have you heard the word?

The word is that we get the chance to work with Larian Studios to design an NPC character in their about-to-win-kickstarter sequel, Divinity: Original Sin 2 - a unique in-game character, the #GOGHero, complete with a backstory and private motivations to intertwine with the players' fates.

Well. YOU get to design them.

Because the more is always the merrier, we're handing the #GOGHero over to you, the gamers, and everyone is welcome to pitch in with their ideas! The entire gaming community is invited to a massive brainstorming session with Larian Studios & GOG.com, and to submit their own ideas for the upcoming character.

For a touch of authenticity, Larian is providing official guidelines to work with - just like the ones they use during development. Fun, but optional:

--Each character has 3 major traits: Vanity, aggression, pride, self-confidence, racist towards dwarves/elves/humans/orcs/sourcerers...

--1 Quirk or Eccentricity: A predilection for dogs in leather boots, refuses to face north for religious reasons, in denial about his singing.

--One Fear/Loss/Block/Wound: Something traumatic in their background for which they are compensating in some way, or which drives them to do something normal people don't. His wife was killed in a tragic accident and now he's a kamikaze detective with a death wish. His parents were murdered by a criminal so now he's a vigilante crime-fighter. He's terrified of intimacy so treats women terribly. That kind of thing.

--Race: Human, dwarf, elf, lizard, undead.

--Background: Gender, age, job function, loyalties.

Throughout the brainstorm, the team from Larian, including creative director Swen Vincke among others, will be joining in us to browse, weigh in, and search for inspiration! Finally, when the time comes, they'll design three final characters combining the awesomest ideas, complete with official concept art and backstory. Once again, the #GOGHero will be placed in your hands with an official vote to chose the favorite champion from the three proposals. The winning character will go on to become the community-made, full-featured NPC in Divinity 2: Original Sin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1366860

Update #15: The Final Dash Towards GM Mode!

This is it -- we’re into the final 24 hours of what has been an absolutely incredible Kickstarter Campaign. It's been a wonderful experience for all of us, but we're not done yet. We're throwing everything we've got into the last 24 hours, so get ready for a day of brainstorms, battles, and brilliant video!

Hours of Streaming!
To celebrate this amazing campaign, we’re inviting you all into our offices for the better part of a day of streaming on Twitch. We’re going to be brainstorming your ideas with you live on camera, and we want you there to help us make Divinity: Original Sin 2 a game that surpasses even our expectations. There might even be some special guests dropping into the brainstorm to give us their thoughts on the game.

But maybe creative brainstorming isn’t your thing? Maybe you’re just here for senseless violence? Well don’t you worry, we’ll also have gladiatorial combat between the Larian Offices in our new Arena Mode! There’ll also be a Devline show where we’ll talk about the editor and modding tools that will ship with the game, let’s plays of Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition (and discussions of what it will bring to D:OS 2), and much more. See the schedule below for all the details, or just head over to our Twitch channel to join in the fun!

428494df7e70b20d2b7ebfe8837266a0_original.png

The Larian Arena Champion from the Gent Office
See the schedule below for all the details, or just head over to our Twitch channel to join in the fun!

Twitch Schedule
01fa7a9f20b53712afd1aeae283f2bbf_original.jpg

Tuesday 29th

15:00 CEST

Best of Divinity: The best moments from previous Divinity games ~ featuring Swen, David, Jan.

17:00 CEST

Editor & Modding Devline: A peek at what to expect from members of our design team ~ featuring Swen, Jeff, Joa, Bert.

18:00 CEST

Let's Play Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition. Mixed with discussion with members of the team about their favourite things in the Enhanced Edition ~ featuring David & other members of the team.

20:00 CEST

Watch the titans battle! RPG Codex versus RPG Watch send their finest gladiators into battle for the glory of the title screen.

22:00 CEST

Devstorm 1! Live devline to brainstorm various ideas that have come in from user voice and our forums for improving the game while we play the prototype. Featuring Swen, Jeff (level design), Joa (art), Slava (dev), Jan (writer), Char (writer) & more. Look out for any special guests that might drop by!

24:00 CEST

Larian takes a nap

Wednesday 30th

9:00 CEST

Strategist Mode: Showcase of Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition tactician mode with the men who know more about it than anyone else on earth ~ featuring Edouard & Nick.

11:00 CEST

Pre-Battle Hype Stream with Q&A ~ featuring all of our offices.

12:00 CEST

The Grand Inter-Larian Battle! Champions from each of the four Larian offices battle it out for bragging rights and first dibs on the cheese platter at the Christmas Party ~ featuring Nick, Matt, and TBD Dublin and St. Petersburg champions.

14:00 CEST

Devstorm 2! A second round to get to any questions and ideas we didn't catch the first time round as we count down to the big moment ~ featuring EVERYONE!

The Last 24 hours - Two more stretch-goals achieved - Only one left now!
Achieved - Love & Hate

Yesterday we smashed through the Love & Hate goal, and we’re very excited about what this is going to bring to the game. We’re working on building a system of intercharacter relationships that will let us explore everything from harsh rivalries to passionate romances to friendships that will last a lifetime. We’ll be talking more about what impact relationships will have on D:OS 2 in our Devstorm later today (23:00 Moscow, 22:00 Berlin, 9pm London, 5pm NYC, 2pm San Francisco), so tune in to our Twitch Channel to hear all the details and give us your feedback live!

Achieved - Shapeshifting Mask

But we didn’t just smash through Love/Hate! With our combined Kickstarter and Paypal funds, we’ve also just hit the Shapeshifting Mask stretch goal! This will mean a brand new game feature, a Shapeshifting Mask, will be added. This will be a carefully balanced addition to the game, as it’s important to us that it works with, rather than replaces, the origin stories and tagging systems that we’ve spent so much time developing over the past months.

Swen will be on hand with our lead writer Jan to talk more about what we can expect from the mask, so tune in at 22:00 CEST (23:00 Moscow, 9pm London, 5pm NYC, 2pm San Francisco) to catch them live in our first of two Larian Devlines and let us know what you think! Click here for more details.

Up Next - Games Master Mode

We’ve only got one stretch goal left -- but what a goal! If we hit $2 million, you’ll be able to enjoy our Game Master mode, something that goes far beyond anything else we’ve tried in a Divinity game. With GM mode, you’ll be able to craft your own dungeons and then control them as your friends play through them, placing enemies on the fly, manipulating the environment, and doing everything you can to screw them over. (Or give them an in-depth, personalised gaming experience. If you’re one of these “reasonable” people.)

This is only made possible by your support which let us hit the Dedicated Modding Team stretch goal, and we hope that with your continued support (tell your friends!) we’ll be able to make this really, really cool feature a reality.

We’ll be dedicating an entire hour to talking about modding and Game Master mode, so tune in at 17:00 CEST (18:00 Moscow, 4pm London, 11am NYC, 8am San Francisco) to hear what we have in store for you. Click here for more!

Ouija Board Sent to the Hall of Echoes
46ddc5e8d8b8b7c3486cb134d819b0b8_original.png

The only folks that'll be using the Ouija Board
One of the more controversial Kickstarter rewards was the Ouija board that came with the Collector’s Edition tier. It’s divided the community to such a degree that we decided to hold a vote on whether or not we should keep it. The majority said that they’d prefer a different reward, but the final nail in its occult coffin came when we found out that the name and design of a Ouija board are actually trademarked and patented. The last thing we’d want is to violate a copyright, so we’re turning to you, our dear backers, for your advice.

What would you like to see as a reward to replace the Ouija Board? We’ve created a UserVoice page where you can vote on the ideas that you like, or suggest your own! For more details, click here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This design is quite good actually -
46ddc5e8d8b8b7c3486cb134d819b0b8_original.png

EDIT: How do I make the image smaller like in other posts?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
I'm not going to watch this stream (except for the Codex vs Watch match of course), so if anybody hears anything interesting, feel free to post about it.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Divinity retrospective is over. All I remember is that Swen saying "Fuck that guy" and "Here comes the stripper."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom