Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last ten minutes. Swen is deathmatching on Twitch. I thought they'd have some kind of countdown party.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2/posts/1368063

That's a Wrap!
After 35 days, 42,713 backers, over 19,000 comments, and a whopping final total of $2,032,434 (plus an estimated $43,000 from Paypal), the Kickstarter campaign for Divinity: Original Sin 2 has come to an end!

All of us at Larian Studios have been truly overwhelmed by the level of support that we have received — not only in terms of pledges, but also feedback and involvement. Right from the beginning, it was our aim to use the campaign as a means to bring our community of fans into the heart of the development process. In every regard, you have exceeded our wildest expectations, and we would like to extend our everlasting gratitude to you all.

And of course, all of the stretch goals have been unlocked! The combined pledges from Kickstarter and Paypal mean that we’ve broken through the $2 million mark, and all of our stretch goals have now been achieved! Get ready for Game Master mode, the Hall of Echoes, Skill Trees and much more!

What's Next?
Of course, this is only the end of the beginning — there’s still a game to finish! The updates and community involvement will continue for every step of the way; there’s plenty of stuff that we haven’t even gotten around to showing you yet, and we can’t wait to bring you the latest developments. As for now, everyone across Larian’s four bases in Ghent, St. Petersburg, Dublin and Quebec will be raising a glass (or two, or eight) to celebrate the end of the campaign and to salute the best community of fans that any developer could possibly hope for!

Want to see how we party? Check out our twitch stream now — maybe somebody forgot to switch it off :)

http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do they count codex/watch in the 43k? That's not much then.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Ssf2U97.png

Zeriel

Arcane
I hope they cut it like they did day and night cycles.

Extremely impressive final two days. I bet Fargo's feeling the blobber's remorse.

He should be feeling the remorse of half-assing the campaign. Larian put a lot of work into theirs and it shows. Without that final 2 days push they wouldn't have been that far ahead of Bard's Tale, really.

Mustawd

He should be feeling the remorse of half-assing the campaign. Larian put a lot of work into theirs and it shows. Without that final 2 days push they wouldn't have been that far ahead of Bard's Tale, really.

Agree 100%. His pitch seemed uninspired compared to WL2. Just going to Scotland didn't really hype me up all that much.

Zeriel

Arcane
Agree 100%. His pitch seemed uninspired compared to WL2. Just going to Scotland didn't really hype me up all that much.

He also had almost zero follow through. That's always been Larian's fundamental strength, their passionate updates turned the original D:OS Kickstarter from a "oh boy these idiots look like they're going to fail" into "wow it did pretty good!". Just look at the bump they got from Chris Avellone, too. Bard's Tale had him as a stretch goal, but it didn't seem to move the meter at all. Larian put him front and center in their charming way and it led to one of the biggest days of the Kickstarter. I kind of feel like human stretch-goals like CA can be misused if they're treated as just another checkbox on a long list. They're useful if a personal connection is established, and Larian is fucking great at establishing a personal connection with their backers. It's pretty much their entire brand.

Mustawd

True dat. Oddly enough with HBS and Larian's recent kickstarters I noticed the funding updates were in video form. That wasn't always the case was it?

I seem to recall Obsidian did it a couple of times durin, but don't remember a lot from

Fry

Arcane
It's simpler than that. No one gives a fuck about blobbers in general or Bard's Tale specifically. Nothing was going to make that campaign a top seller.

Zeriel

Arcane
It's simpler than that. No one gives a fuck about blobbers in general or Bard's Tale specifically. Nothing was going to make that campaign a top seller.

A few years ago the consensus was no one cared about turn-based RPGs, either. The "sexiness" argument doesn't really sell me, or rather, it does but it doesn't fit the case of BT and D:OS 2, I would believe PoE did better at Kickstarter than D:OS (both times) because RTWP is sexier to the casuals than turn-based, but the gulf between Bard's Tale and D:OS 2 is much smaller and much more easily explained by execution of the campaign. They were very close to each other at certain points, Larian just wielded their Friends spell very effectively.

Fry

Arcane
You're better off comparing BT4 to other inXile campaigns. Were the WL2 and T:ToN efforts substantially different?

Crowd funding is 85% IP nostalgia and 15% other shit. Nothing about the HBS Battletech campaign is amazing, but they just brought in $1 million in two days... cuz Battletech.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
BT4 was never going to get as much as D:OS 2 did - not without severely misrepresenting itself at least ("party-based Skyrim!").

Could it have gotten, say, 200,000 dollars more than it did? That seems possible, but you know, in the big picture, that's a big whoop.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think if Torment was released AND was actually good, the BT4 kickstarter could have raised 2.5-3m range.

But overall, the campaign was pretty shit. We didn't get an 'in engine' video until maybe like half-way through the campaign, and nothing else related to gameplay was released until after the campaign was finished. It wasn't the best, lets just put it that way and it could be a fucking scam for all I know. Been in the forums since the start and there hasn't been shit from the devs aside from a couple screenshots of the remastered versions of BT1-3, it even took them months to even get the backer website up, who knows wtf is going on lol.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
We didn't get an 'in engine' video until maybe like half-way through the campaign

The in-engine video was released two days after the campaign started:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9912
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9918

nothing else related to gameplay was released until after the campaign was finished

You've got it backwards. Nothing related to gameplay has been released SINCE the campaign was finished. During the campaign we got these:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9960
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9977

I think if Torment was released AND was actually good, the BT4 kickstarter could have raised 2.5-3m range.

Divinity: Original Sin was released AND was actually good. The D:OS 2 Kickstarter got 2 million. So no, it probably wouldn't.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The in-engine video was released two days after the campaign started:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9912
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9918
Perception of time is different for people, But yeah, that doesn't affect the reality that what you said is true, and probably didn't have much effect on the campaign as a whole.

I had been following this for a while and the campaign started on my 'weekend', so I stayed up late and waited for updates and shit, it felt like a long time to me, too much staying up late for no real good reason is why it felt longer to me.

You've got it backwards. Nothing related to gameplay has been released SINCE the campaign was finished. During the campaign we got these:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9960
http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9977
Yeah, I messed that part of my post. The information provided still wasn't substantial but yeah I get you. And yes, there hasn't been shit since the campaign was finished.

Divinity: Original Sin was released AND was actually good. The D:OS 2 Kickstarter got 2 million. So no, it probably wouldn't.
I guess so, It's still my speculation that It could have earned more if there wasn't current and unfinished projects (read: Wasteland 2: Director's Cut, Torment: Tides of Numanera).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
http://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-original-sin-ii/divinity-original-sin-2-hands-on-its-double-the-sin

Divinity: Original Sin 2 hands-on: it's double the sin

Divinity: Original Sin 2’s Kickstarter, by the time you read this, has just ended. It’s made more than double from pledges than its predecessor and unlocked every stretch goal, making the already extremely ambitious RPG even more expansive.

For a day, as Larian staff ran around organising streams and PvP tournaments, on top of working on the soon-to-be-released Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition and, of course, Original Sin 2 itself, I sat on an absurdly comfortable bean bag and played through the entirety of the sequel’s demo.

It’s good. Damn, is it good.

You may have seen some of the demo on a livestream – Larian’s been keen to show it off – but you probably won’t get to play it. The demo has been tailored for previews, a proof of concept that contains everything that’s ready so far, with quests, characters and locations that probably won’t make it into the finished game.

So it’s a container full of Larian’s big ideas and fascinating features. And I dunked my head right into it and drank in as much as I could.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20reveal%202.jpg

I fought, over and over again, with one of Larian’s writers, from the Dublin studio, in surprisingly compelling PvP matches where the entire arena was nothing but corpses and blood and toxic goo. I tried to comfort a suicidal cow who had presented herself to a seemingly disinterested dragon for dinner. I murdered a woman to solve her attempted murder. I was racist to a Dwarf.

There’s a lot going on in the demo, clearly. At its core, though, and this I am told will be at the heart of the finished game, is this story of hunted men and women, the game’s protagonists, and the strange powers they have.

Origins count for a lot in Original Sin 2. Who your character was before the game informs how people will interact with them and their pre-existing relationships. Their race and social standing matter just as much. My party of four included two humans, a Dwarf and an Elf, and their experiences differed greatly, with even throwaway conversations taking very different forms depending on which character I used.

Entering the main city, for instance, was a doddle for my upper class human. She was mistrusted because of her use of Source magic, which is illegal and in the process of being eradicated, and her mother was in jail, accused of the attempted murder of the mayor, but the guards still let her pass. The Dwarf, on the other hand, was given a hard time and ultimately was denied access to the city, necessitating a new mission: find a secret way into the city.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20reveal%203.jpg

If the Dwarf and human entered together and the human spoke with the guard, it would have been fine, but I was playing in co-op, and thus my co-op partner, who spoke to the guard as the Dwarf, was completely out of luck. Who strikes up conversations and how the party is split becomes extremely important. Anyway, I’m a nice chap, so I helped him get in, fighting our way through poisonous goo monsters and dirtying ourselves in a jaunt through some Dwarven slums.

I could have just said screw the Dwarf, and indeed, on another occasion, I joined an NPC in a spot of anti-Dwarf bigotry. You don’t need to be friendly to your co-op buddies. Co-op has been greatly expanded, increasing the party limit to four human players, and the system itself has been overhauled with the introduction of rivalries.

The first Original Sin made disagreements between party members, either NPC or player controlled, a rock, paper, scissors mini-game. With four people all chiming in, this was scrapped, and it’s a good thing too, as the new system is a lot less jarring. Everyone will get to express their opinion, but the lead decision maker, the person starting the conversation, will get the final say. There are consequences to ignoring your allies, however, so the supreme power of the veto must be used wisely.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20reveal%204.jpg

In co-op, once the decision has been made, the other players can express their dissatisfaction. Sometimes they might express it with knives. And fire. And murder. Players will be free to completely betray each other at any point, even in the middle of a fight. Imagine: you’re fighting some dastardly bandits, and you’re a wee bit out of your depth. You’ve only got control over two characters, and the ruffians are making mincemeat out of them. So, when you see your ally with their two characters appear, that’s a good thing, right?

It really depends on your co-op partner. Did they recently get a haircut that you failed to compliment them on? Did you call their favourite band “shit” the other day? If you did, and even if you didn’t, they can screw you over in many ways. Perhaps they’ll just stand there and watch you get murdered. They’re safe, because you’re the one who initiated combat. Perhaps they’ll just run ahead and loot all the stuff that the bandits were protecting and then hit the town with pockets full of gold.

These aren’t even the worst outcomes. If your buddy is particularly devious and really wants to spoil your day, then they might team up with the bandits and kill your poor, beaten characters themselves.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20reveal%205.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2’s co-op is competitive co-op, if you want it to be. You can play the entire game as friends, but they can chart their own course, work in opposition to you, and betrayal is just as viable. Sometimes it’s even encouraged. My co-op partner was offered gold in exchange for one of my characters’ murders, for example. He didn’t follow through, thankfully. He’s a better man than I.

You can’t expect to screw everyone over and hurl horrible slurs at Dwarves without consequences, however. Those sort of things might come back to bite you on the ass as people start to realise what a nasty piece of work you are. Honestly, though, there were points during the demo where I couldn’t help myself. And I completely blame ghosts.

Magic might not have a great reputation in Divinity: Original Sin 2, but you’ll undoubtedly be using a lot of it. You might even be so hooked on the arcane that you craft your own spells, combining them to make something brand-spanking new, not unlike Magicka. Combine rain and grease, and you get horrible greasy rain. Do not, I have to emphasise, cast this indoors or near an open flame. And for the spooky-inclined, there’s always the ability to talk to ghosts.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20reveal%207.jpg

When you spot a corpse, you can activate your ghost banter ability, whatever it’s called, and have a nice blether with the deceased. Like the talking to animals ability, you’ll be able to get clues for quests and learn some extra details about the world. You can also steal their souls, like a proper bastard. The upside of soul theft is that you’ll be able to get Source Points that allow you to use very powerful magic. The downside is that it makes you an arsehole and gives you bad karma.

After getting a taste of power, I went fully down the arsehole route.

Remember the mayor, whose attempted murder was pinned on the mother of one of my characters? Well, I paid her a visit, determined to get to the bottom of this mystery. The thing is, people aren’t very chatty when they’re in a coma. She was between life and death, and utterly useless.

divinity%20original%20sin%202%20reveal%206.png

I’m sure you can already see where this is going: somewhere unpleasant. I made sure her doctor, who had some rather foul things to say about Elves, was out of the room, and then I stabbed her. Boom, ghost time! She wasn’t pleased, of course, but after a bit of questioning, I discovered who her killer was and then, hungry after all this work, I consumed her soul.

I did solve a crime, though!

As a proof of concept, the Divinity: Original Sin 2 demo is a compelling one. Everything that made the first game such a great RPG and inspired me to give it a 9/10 in our Divinity: Original Sin review has been expanded upon and, at least in the very curated demo, improved. And this is only after a month of development, with another month for tweaks and polish. The original game and the Enhanced Edition have given Larian an extremely strong foundation to build upon, and so far the results are impressive.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Regarding rumours about Larian making Ultima game:

I've just had random thought - Swen mentioned more than once than he's going for Renaissance-like style and at least the architecture and clothes both seem to prove it here and there, so I'm claiming my right to brag "I've told you but you didn't listen" - they may have gotten their hands on the license somehow.

For now we have those weird rumours, the fact that Larian admitted that they've got various people wanting them to work on their franchises, the renaissance assets and Swen being huge on Ultima 7.

I am 90% sure that I'm wrong, it may be simply that Swen wants to make it renaissance because that's what he liked in Ultima and that's what he wants to replicate, while they've gotten something from Focus to work on(Warhammer? They've picked up quite a lot of studios to make Warhammer games recently, and in FB, Empire of Sigmar is renaissance-like as well) or maybe some fantasy book saga etc. but yeah, it's more of claiming the fame of ever-knowing seer than something backed by facts.

The things that make that theory unlikely is that:
  • EA has their RPG pony already - Bioware
  • I doubt Divinity:OShiEEeeeet will sell more than 300k on consoles - so total of ~1,2-1,5M units is way below what EA execs may be interested in
  • Swen wants to at least partially self fund their games because he's tired of being fucked by a publisher, so it means that they'll demand bigger cut - see above.
  • It's very unlikely that EA would sell the license, after all, it's great bait for middle-tier RPG developer to get him in your grips in case if Biowhore will be put down
And most importantly:
  • none of my observations implies directly that it'll be ultima game(apart from U7 being Swen's personal favourite)
So for the third time - it is possible but not very likely.

If it's true however - we will know it after Enhanced Edition will be out for month or two. Think November or December. Because even if EA is interested in handling them the franchise - they want to see how it does on consoles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom