Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still don't know what the source of these rumors is other than a random dude's post on the Shroud of the Avatar forums.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Speaking of possibilities, EA already licensed Wasteland, Bard's Tale, Underworld (without Ultima), and even Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot to external developers, reportedly in generous terms. Though they may be less generous about main Ultima game license, well, who knows.

But yeah, like Infinitron said, the only source of the rumor is a random guy on forums.

JasonNH

Augur
There is also the issue that while the Ultima trademark is owned by EA, "Lord British" is owned by Richard Garriott. If Larian got an Ultima license they would have to make something without Lord British or go the abominable route of Ultima Forever with Lady British. :roll: As much as an Ultima aficionado that I am, I'm not sure the franchise is really worth saving at this point. Given the crappy ending to the franchise and multiple parties all wanting a piece of the Ultima IP pie, making a new game that builds upon the franchise in its glory years before it went to crap seems rather unlikely.

SausageInYourFace

Codexian Sausage
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would it not be worth saving? Just forget that Ultima 8 and 9 ever happenend and make it a true sequel to 7 and you are all set.

Last edited:

JasonNH

Augur
Why would it not be worth saving? Just forget that Ultima 8 and 9 ever happenend and make it a truel sequel to 7 and you are all set.

My point was that I don't believe you'll be able to do just that effectively with two parties having a hold on the IP licensing.

Zeriel

Arcane
There is also the issue that while the Ultima trademark is owned by EA, "Lord British" is owned by Richard Garriott. If Larian got an Ultima license they would have to make something without Lord British or go the abominable route of Ultima Forever with Lady British. :roll: As much as an Ultima aficionado that I am, I'm not sure the franchise is really worth saving at this point. Given the crappy ending to the franchise and multiple parties all wanting a piece of the Ultima IP pie, making a new game that builds upon the franchise in its glory years before it went to crap seems rather unlikely.

Leaving Lord British out would be an improvement. He was always a fourth-wall-breaking, cringingly bad self-insertion on Garriot's part, replace him with any period-sounding aristocrat and you've already improved the setting. I concur with SausageInYourFace that Swen could easily do a sequel to 7-1 or 7-2, or simply a game in the same general time period set in Ultima. I'm not sure the setting is worth all the trouble, though, Ultima was known more for the quality of some of its games than the setting itself. Without Ultima 7, I'd consign the series to the dustbin of history, really. A Divinity game with Ultima 7's scale and ambition would probably be better than a new Ultima game by Larian. And that's basically what they're already making anyway, so...

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Lord Belgian.

Huh, acutally its concept art was leaked last May:

CFnTVN6VAAEBu-U.jpg:orig

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/601744387601739777

LizardKing

Scholar
Leaving Lord British out would be an improvement. He was always a fourth-wall-breaking, cringingly bad self-insertion on Garriot's part, replace him with any period-sounding aristocrat and you've already improved the setting. I concur with SausageInYourFace that Swen could easily do a sequel to 7-1 or 7-2, or simply a game in the same general time period set in Ultima. I'm not sure the setting is worth all the trouble, though, Ultima was known more for the quality of some of its games than the setting itself. Without Ultima 7, I'd consign the series to the dustbin of history, really. A Divinity game with Ultima 7's scale and ambition would probably be better than a new Ultima game by Larian. And that's basically what they're already making anyway, so...

I agree. I think it would be better for Larian to stick with Divinity and maybe implement a virtue system to it.
Then contract MCA? (would love to see his take on virtues)

Garriott..
Honestly, I think Garriott should just keep doing whatever the fuck he's doing, because it looks like he's having a blast.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Ultima games aren't perfect for sure but they have their charm and the main thing about the series that deserves 130% of fame it has is that ever since 3 it always tried something new. It didn't succeeded at everything, especially since EA has taken over and Garriott never visibly tried to improve its major flaws - common criticism against U4 or 5 is just as valid against 7 - combat despite changing is just as poor and you wish to not take part in it just as much at all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
People keep bragging about how 'popular' and successful DOS was. It sold barely a million copies I think or so the rumours say. Big fukkin' whoop. That's peanuts. hell, FOR FUCK SAKES, that's no different than other Larain games. GOLY FUCK. DOS isn't some major groundbreaker. It has its fanbase.

And, Larian should not touch Ultima. They shoudls tick with their own decent games then add a touch of Dwarf to make it awesomesauce. :)

DOS1 was fun for one playthrough. Hopefully, DOS 2 is better but let's nto overhype it. Overhyping leads to PE.

Also, for the butthurt: WL2 > DOS

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's successful as a cRPG, though. They had no competition whatsoever, PoE *cough* and WL2 hadn't come out yet. It's still a decent game, even if they had competition, it just needed some extra oomph to elevate it to heights. It was an experiment on their part and, for a first, it turned out great. They know this and that's why they overhauled the *entire* game (the EE). That's why I'm hopeful for D:OS2, even though hype is a killer.

Arkeus

Arcane
It was an experiment on their part and, for a first, it turned out great. They know this and that's why they overhauled the *entire* game (the EE).
Larian have a history of doing a EE already (Dragon Knight Saga), so I wouldn't just attribute to it, but yeah.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Larian have a history of doing a EE already (Dragon Knight Saga), so I wouldn't just attribute to it, but yeah.

I meant that D:OS was an experiment :p They hadn't made a turn-based RPG before and it turned out it has the best combat/rule-set out of all the others that came out since then.

SniperHF

Arcane
After looking at some of the stuff they streamed recently, it's pretty stark how much more effort they are putting into their towns. D:OS 1 has like 5 building types/models/textures. I've counted at least triple that so far for 2. Even if some of them are just re-textured, it makes a big difference in reducing the sameyness of areas.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Also, for the butthurt

Sorry man, all the new kids are so irritating, you're like a drop in the ocean at this point. This is the new Codex - or should I say the new KKK0dex, arlguahgluahgluah - and you are the old shit. Sad story... but perhaps if we work together, you can be an annoying little bastard again. Come on hit me as hard as you cannnnnnnnnnnnnn eh no more energy for this shit... everything is gray... decline... catch words... memes... butthurt... no why

4verse

Literate
I must say I find it a bit odd when businesses are kickstarting stuff. And it this case they will sell the game on their service.

i agree. i found i kinda strange myself (though i rather like GOG). and i believe their GOGhero-"campaign" does not turn out to be overly successful on GOG's side as well

4verse

Literate
People keep bragging about how 'popular' and successful DOS was. It sold barely a million copies I think or so the rumours say. Big fukkin' whoop. That's peanuts. hell, FOR FUCK SAKES, that's no different than other Larain games. GOLY FUCK. DOS isn't some major groundbreaker. It has its fanbase.

And, Larian should not touch Ultima. They shoudls tick with their own decent games then add a touch of Dwarf to make it awesomesauce. :)

DOS1 was fun for one playthrough. Hopefully, DOS 2 is better but let's nto overhype it. Overhyping leads to PE.

Also, for the butthurt: WL2 > DOS

peanuts? ... I dont know. 900k x 40 = 36m in sales (not profit of course). not shabby IMO

only behind KotOR and Dragon Age: Origins D:OS is no. 3 on the turn based cRPG game list (in sales figures). again: not too shabby, is it?

and even taking kickstarter into account D:OS seems to be more successful than Pillars from a financial point of view: according to gamespy D:OS sold around 900k while Pillars "only" around 500k. of course D:OS was released 3/4 of a year before Pillars, so has been sold for a longer time. but considering the hype around Pillars (which was hyped "beyond recognition" IMO), D:OS does quite well again.

(all figures taken from steamspy)

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think the Kickstarter campaign for D:OS2 was mainly a PR stunt. It did quite well as that, if nothing else. Swen has always surprised me with his business savvy, so it won't be perplexing if that was the case. We got our game discounted and they got a huge PR boost. Win-win.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
t5EyLbG.jpg

http://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-or...-with-the-team-behind-divinity-original-sin-2

The article categorized as an interview but actually more of an author's essay on Kickstarter, with very few quotes.

He talks about other RPGs, like Dragon Age: Inquisition and The Witcher 3, with their huge budgets and well-known franchises. “Anything that gets us closer to that is probably going to get us a better game in the end,” he tells me. That was the impetus for the Kickstarter, to close the gap. And that meant a bigger budget, bigger teams, and even a new writing team in the new office in Dublin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom