Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They have writers ?

photobucket-shocked.gif
Make that into an emote please :D

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
11208115_493859184111832_1032309241_n.jpg

larianstudios

Dragon's scale and witch's hair,
Take a peek soon, if you dare.
Tooth of wolf and impish blood,
Something wicked this way comes... #divinity #originalsin #larianstudios

https://instagram.com/p/2QfT1Prwqh/

Update soon?

edit: from Facebook page:

Today we have something special - first of all we have opened an Instagram account - please follow us. Second of all there is something you may find interesting over there - check it out now!

https://www.facebook.com/LarianStudios/posts/913118148748384

SniperHF

Arcane
Well that's pretty clearly a cooking pot from D:OS and the little poem or whatever sounds like the crafting system. Doesn't seem directly related to the Hardcore patch anyway. I was hopping to finish my mod before the patch since I'd have to relearn all the idiosyncrasies of the updated editor.

Well, this be better the "hardcore" update they spoke of. Need something new to play till Witcher 3/ Staglands.

Telepath Tactics?

hiver

Seems like a recipe for some new crafting item added to the game, which probably isnt anything special.
But it also could be two fold announcement of : "something wicked this way comes" too.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://games.on.net/2015/05/divinit...eractive-preparing-for-an-announcement-at-e3/

The current hot rumour is that, following chatter from Larian not too long ago, Focus Home and Larian might be announcing a console version of Divinity: Original Sin. Considering Diablo 3 works just fine on PS4 – and, if you ask me, it actually feels the most natural way to play the game – it wouldn’t be a huge stretch to imagine the Belgian developers taking inspiration from Blizzard’s effort to get D:OS to work on consoles.

But this is pure speculation. Precisely what the companies have planned will be revealed at E3 next month – although it’s kind of hard to imagine what else Larian would have had in the works, given how all-in the studio bet on D:OS.

Huh, I guess, for this partnership, a console version of D:OS makes more sense than a new game.

DramaticPopcorn

Can anyone please tell me why did Modding for D:OS fail so terribly ?

I haven't fooled around with the editor after the release, it was buggy as hell then, was it never patched?

Or is lack of documentation the reason for it?

I'm just honestly baffled that a game is gonna be a year old in 1,5 months and there are no mods to find anywhere! All are either minor gameplay alterations or just hillarious joke mods with funny titles.

Christ, even NWN2 had more mods a month after release despite toolset being broken as hell.

pls tag or quote coz i'll forge that i posted here in a minute

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Can anyone please tell me why did Modding for D:OS fail so terribly ?

I haven't fooled around with the editor after the release, it was buggy as hell then, was it never patched?

Or is lack of documentation the reason for it?

I'm just honestly baffled that a game is gonna be a year old in 1,5 months and there are no mods to find anywhere! All are either minor gameplay alterations or just hillarious joke mods with funny titles.

Christ, even NWN2 had more mods a month after release despite toolset being broken as hell.

pls tag or quote coz i'll forge that i posted here in a minute
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/divinity-original-sin.92612/page-274#post-3549336

Mustawd

Apparently it wasn't very user friendly or intuitive.

EDIT: Bah..ninja'd by Roguey.

Last edited by a moderator:

DramaticPopcorn

Thanks I guess. kinda shit, was really in the mood for checking out some mods

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, very shit considering how amped they pretended to be about modding during the developement.

SniperHF

Arcane
Thanks I guess. kinda shit, was really in the mood for checking out some mods

Mine will be done eventually. I'm also playtesting for another modder who is maybe 2 months from release of a 15-20ish hour campaign.

I think the biggest mistake looking back on it is that it takes several hours to actually make it playable on your first go. You have to bolt on scripts Larian uses to make it even work. That completely turns people off. Had Larian released a sort of baseline template which included scripts for major systems like attitude, thievery, dialogs and such people wouldn't have had to completely reinvent the wheel. Almost the entire first 6 months after release was focused on that. And really that's still not even done.

You'll notice that all the released non-main mods as of right now don't have those systems or have rudimentary versions.

The inventory management in this game makes me want to scoop my eyeballs out with a spoon. It kills momentum dead.

SniperHF

Arcane
It's kinda like Pillars though in that, do you really need to mange it? When you get full just sell everything you aren't using. Crafting is nice but totally flavor so worrying about holding onto specific ingredients isn't worth it. Most items you find are junk outside of the first 3-4 levels. You don't need the 8 million consumables you find.

Not really an endorsement it's just so inconsequential I couldn't manage scooping my eye out over it :hahano:
Now the itemization in general......

Ultra

Educated
I've been playing around with the mod tools because I enjoy banging my head against a brick wall but there is fuck all support from Larian for them. It honesty feels like they don't really want people doing mods (middleware licensing issue I heard idk) because a lot of the important stuff is packed up, their dialogue tutorial only shows you how to assign dialogue to non-global characters which their own documentation advises against doing etc. It's a shame the community is almost dead because those guys have done some pretty cool stuff (to help document and use the tools) like releasing the unpacking tool you need, writing their own scripts and just trying to figure things out.

As a little example of how obtuse this stuff is I was trying to figure out how to have music playing in a level and there's an option in the atmosphere panel to import a track, great!, except it doesn't work at all probably due to some functions requiring developer rights. Some guy on the mod forums figured out that you could assign a playlist (better check it is a working one though because a lot of them just don't) to a trigger that fires when the player walks through it. So I set it up, works a charm, spend a few hours building terrain and a cave and shit and then the next day load up the level and almost all the triggers are broken, "reference not set to an instance of an object fuck you".
Google will tell you that's a .NET SDK problem so I installed the latest release of that and followed their advice to run gacutil.exe to register a .dll and still the triggers would break (only on reload, they work fine while the editor is open).
I was about to give up because such a simple thing shouldn't be so hard but in a thread about a guy trying to hack a day/night cycle together he mentions that making atmosphere triggers global breaks them, I was using a different type of trigger but figured it was worth a quick try and sure enough, unticking a single check box fixes the problem. Thing is there is some stuff on triggers in Larians docs but nowhere does it say 'don't make certain triggers global because they'll break k'.

Sorry for ranting but if you use the editor even an idiot like me with very basic scripting skill can see the thing could be really powerful and cool and you can finally make your 50 hour magnum opus about the unspoken love between elves and dwarves but then you realise half of it is locked and the other half has to be hacked/reverse engineered by people who are smarter than you and they gave up six months ago probably because even the most enthusiastic person in the world will be disheartened when their 100 hour terrain is suddenly made flat and uneditable for no reason.

SniperHF

Arcane
As a little example of how obtuse this stuff is I was trying to figure out how to have music playing in a level and there's an option in the atmosphere panel to import a track, great!, except it doesn't work at all probably due to some functions requiring developer rights.

That's one thing that still puzzles me as why they bothered locking this stuff up with developer mode. Importing music clearly works I just need a password. :argh:. Thankfully I've never had my terrain nuked like you did.

Some guy on the mod forums figured out that you could assign a playlist (better check it is a working one though because a lot of them just don't)
]to a trigger that fires when the player walks through it. So I set it up, works a charm, spend a few hours building terrain and a cave and shit and then the next day load up the level and almost all the triggers are broken, "reference not set to an instance of an object fuck you".

I was about to give up because such a simple thing shouldn't be so hard but in a thread about a guy trying to hack a day/night cycle together he mentions that making atmosphere triggers global breaks them, I was using a different type of trigger but figured it was worth a quick try and sure enough, unticking a single check box fixes the problem. Thing is there is some stuff on triggers in Larians docs but nowhere does it say 'don't make certain triggers global because they'll break k'.

Sounds familiar ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom