Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's why i said 'the editor' and not 'the game and editor'

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Coming to the player's aid (== fighting another faction) does not require coordination with a variable number of party members. A 'truer' example of this kind of problem in scripts is to use a healing ability or a potion on all party members; round-robin until all are healed. Or a complex buffing script. One 'approach' to doing such things generically and easily are functions that operate on collections as well as instances, so for instance, instead of doing
Use(Has(Potion,PC1), Wounded(PC1))
(...more combinations...)
you'd do
Use(Has(Potion, party), Wounded(party)) <- party being dynamic so it doesn't get confused when separate
And it would work for any member of the party having a potion if there are wounded in the party (instead of them only can healing themselves or others by explicitly enumerating all possible combinations).

Of course, the script interface should return the appropriate objects so this kind of composition works (BGscript has nothing of this, so it's a pain to script stuff)

This has wider implications; it's the main reason there are not unlimited party members in the Infinity Engine and in Gemrb too: it would require one to rewrite all the tactical (and some of the cutscene) scripts that explicitly use the singular party references!

Sometimes you also want to affect the type of iteration with the same functions you'd use and then you truly get into fucked up realms of generic visitors that require a real programing language and real programmers; but for 99% of the uses a 'side-by-side' function (or even only functions operating on lists, if you can create them with singular members) that operates on lists - a better default would be circular lists where the head moves after a operation so 'everyone' in the party is doing something that minimizes duplicate orders, aka: round-robin - would be enough.

Another alternative is to use a normal 'for' construct - external iteration instead of internal - that is more flexible and simplifies the API but complicates the scripts and script language (for instance, to use a for effectively, you better have real variables).

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Some editor quotes from Larian made during Reddit session:

The editor is integrated with a source control system so that we can work on it with our entire team. We still need to decide if we'll release that part too (because it's integrated with perforce) but I guess if the editor is popular we'll come up with a solution that integrates with open source.

Right now it's story, scripting, art, levels - You can't change spells yet, but if the editor is popular, we'll expose that too. Mechanics can be modified to a certain extent.

Actually, spells are exposed in data files, so you can change their values and even "link" to different visuals :)
You can even "inherit" an existing spell and create a new one based on it.

It's the actual toolset that our designers and artists use, so it's not as "user friendly" as Microsoft Word ;) That may mean that learning curve is steep, but if you know the basics, it's already fun to play around with. And you can always jump into the data of the campaign that ships with the game to see how we pulled off certain things.

If we don't make the 1M stretchgoal, modders are free to put in day-night cycles and schedules. They can with the editor. And then they can, of course, make that mod public for everyone to enjoy \o

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, we do.
It was confirmed multple times that You can create modules with party size up to six.
They've chosen to go with two character party due to the interactive dialogue being to complicated with more.
Hmm, but can you have henchmen and summons on top of that?

Tytus

Arcane
Some editor quotes from Larian made during Reddit session:

The editor is integrated with a source control system so that we can work on it with our entire team. We still need to decide if we'll release that part too (because it's integrated with perforce) but I guess if the editor is popular we'll come up with a solution that integrates with open source.

Right now it's story, scripting, art, levels - You can't change spells yet, but if the editor is popular, we'll expose that too. Mechanics can be modified to a certain extent.

Actually, spells are exposed in data files, so you can change their values and even "link" to different visuals :)
You can even "inherit" an existing spell and create a new one based on it.

It's the actual toolset that our designers and artists use, so it's not as "user friendly" as Microsoft Word ;) That may mean that learning curve is steep, but if you know the basics, it's already fun to play around with. And you can always jump into the data of the campaign that ships with the game to see how we pulled off certain things.

If we don't make the 1M stretchgoal, modders are free to put in day-night cycles and schedules. They can with the editor. And then they can, of course, make that mod public for everyone to enjoy \o

I like the sound of it. But I'm curious how will they program archery and bow combat. I hope they won't just stop at normal arrows - magic arrows - poison arrows like most RPGs do. I wish for an RPG to do this sort of thing - when you see an enemy, you have to make a decision. Do I want to use a combat arrow, hunting arrow (if it's an animal), armor piercing arrow, chain mail piercing arrow or a magical arrow (if I'm facing some magical creature). Also if you have poison on you, it could be added to all of those types. And of course you have to buy all arrow types separately and keep them in your quiver. So for example you don't want you use all of your piercing arrows on some giant rodents, because later you can encounter a black knight who will not want to stop fighting even with his limbs chopped off. (That obviously means arrows should run out and when they do you have attack with your bow as a melee weapon or change to dagger/short sword/mace). 

Swords should work in similar fashion and become dull or break over time. It would be nice to have some algorithm that calculates the dulling of the sword. For example if I'm hitting something rather soft like an Orc's belly, the dulling should me small. But when I fought several knights in plate armors and bashed them over their armored head. Well that's a different story. It would force the player to use different weapons against different enemies. Like for example when fighting with someone who uses skins and leathers armors I don't want to use a sword. I want something to cut that. Like a saber. Or when I'm fighting with a group of enemies with spears I want to use a double-handed sword to counter their reach. In the game you can carry barrels (at least in the pre-alpha build) in your pockets, so carrying several swords wouldn't be such a problem. 

But that's probably wishing for too much. Though I wonder if it's going to be possible to create mods for those things.

Tytus

Arcane
Actually, we do.
It was confirmed multple times that You can create modules with party size up to six.
They've chosen to go with two character party due to the interactive dialogue being to complicated with more.
Hmm, but can you have henchmen and summons on top of that?

In the stream at the end of Kickstarter campaign. They both had a henchman recruited. So yeah, they had basically had a party of four.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well, tbh people wanting more than six party members are usually those people that have to check all romances on a single playthrough.

But i like the elegance of a game engine that can scale seamlessly from solo to dozens; oh well at least it's scriptable (unlike, say; JA2, which does the unlimited party stuff well enough).

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I remember them saying during the campaign that they were thinking about upping the companions/henchmen to 4 + summons. So basically a party of 6+2.

Tytus

Arcane
Oh and more thing, that annoyed me a little during the stream. What is with the Orc females? 

Orc males look like gorillas but Orc females like She Hulk with a boob job. I understand that something like gender dimorphism exists, but it here it was taken into an absurd levels. If it was done because player will be able to fuck an Orc female? Because I'm warning you Larian. If there's gonna be such an option I gonna do it! You sick, lovable fucks.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since Larian are already considering upping the henchman/companion limit to four in the main campaign, I'm guessing that summons can still be added to the party if we already have six characters.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It would be interesting if you could change change the code from 6 players up to 64 (or more) to allow larger mods.

Reminds me... Can you make changes to a map while its "running" it would be kinda nice to have for example premade code that a "DM" could use to create new events for the player (ofc you can make new premade code in the editor) but what i mean is that its events / situations where all you have to do is drag something out and then link it to the areas that should trigger it.

Zeriel

Arcane
There is no "DM" in Original Sin. This isn't NWN, and it's not trying to be a tabletop game. By the same token, different parties at the same time are almost certainly out.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There is no "DM" in Original Sin. This isn't NWN, and it's not trying to be a tabletop game. By the same token, different parties at the same time are almost certainly out.
I know but it would be interesting with a system that allow one to edit the map when its running and to have someone create new content when its running.

But anyway i hope one can change the max limit on the number of players.
By the way if we connect to someone and they have another map will we download it or will it say that its running on another map and then kick you out?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Where did you actually get the whole "six players in custom modules" part? Are you certain it wasn't about having six player characters instead?

'cuz that'd be changing the whole server infrastructure quite radically to accommodate something they never use in the first place...

Overboard

Arcane
Yes quoted part has nothing to do with the question, it was just me being lazy and hoping Stab was still online and would give an immediate response to a quote-alert. Could have just tagged him. You also have taste tuluse, explain attraction of game please
One can easily qualify you in the following two words: dumbfuck detected.

We're gonna need a Belgian version of the potato emoticon now.

Just cut into thin strips and serve in a paper cone. Samurai sauce is optional.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Where did you actually get the whole "six players in custom modules" part?

The engine supports up to 5 players connecting to another game => 6 players. Our campaign is 1 host + 1 friend joining, but modders can make a 6 player mod. I'll have to check on the exact number, could be 4 max, but I do believe it was 6.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes quoted part has nothing to do with the question, it was just me being lazy and hoping Stab was still online and would give an immediate response to a quote-alert. Could have just tagged him. You also have taste tuluse, explain attraction of game please

They don't serve fries in paper cones in Belgium.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Where did you actually get the whole "six players in custom modules" part?

The engine supports up to 5 players connecting to another game => 6 players. Our campaign is 1 host + 1 friend joining, but modders can make a 6 player mod. I'll have to check on the exact number, could be 4 max, but I do believe it was 6.

Can a group of 6 players still use a summon spell? As in, if you use a summon in combat, you would now have 7 players.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

They don't serve fries in paper cones in Belgium.
Of course we do. (Well, it's rarer and rarer, but still exists).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom