Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why do people want massive party sizes like 18 or w/e
I'm not suggesting a party of 18, I'm asking the limit of PC characters the game can handle. 18 PC can mean 6 players controlling each a party and exploring the world and perhaps even battling against each other.

Stabbey

Learned
Can a group of 6 players still use a summon spell? As in, if you use a summon in combat, you would now have 7 players.

I think we should change that UI. If you summon an elemental, it just sits as a smaller portrait next to yours or something like that. Food for discussion.

That could work, when it's not their turn, a smaller summon portrait sits beside the summoner, when the summons turn comes up, the portraits swap so the full-size summon portrait is up and beside is a smaller portrait of the summoner. You could maybe mouse-over the small portrait to show the full thing to see health and mana status. Or just have a "click to make it bigger" option on the small portrait so you don't have to worry about swapping them.

ForkTong, since the Paypal is going on for another two weeks, will any post-Kickstarter Bellegar-likes on Facebook count towards the final as well? That finished at about 5500 likes when KS ended and now it's over 6000.

I also hope the next Kickstarter Update has updated stretch goal progress images.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I'll check tomorrow how we're going to go about that. Now excuse me while I leech a Lords of Midnight .d64 file.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That could work, when it's not their turn, a smaller summon portrait sits beside the summoner, when the summons turn comes up, the portraits swap so the full-size summon portrait is up and beside is a smaller portrait of the summoner. You could maybe mouse-over the small portrait to show the full thing to see health and mana status. Or just have a "click to make it bigger" option on the small portrait so you don't have to worry about swapping them.
Portraits often serve as initiative indicators. Playing a TB game without any visible initiative feedback severely limits the tactics you're likely to pursue (for instance; Heroes 3; JA2; FF:T vs ToEE).
That doesn't mean they can't be damn good games obviously. Just that you're not quite as likely to do planning like 'don't need to move 2 to kill that one because he'll die before he can move' or 'i can do a combo by waiting for one turn so the enemy comes closer and i have all my party lined up in the initiative bar').

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
ForkTong Please don't funnel the endgame into an "exciting" combat-filled (edit: combat-only) madness. For example in games like DivDiv, Div2 vanilla (expansion was good), VTMB, Gothic, Risen, etc., etc.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I'll check tomorrow how we're going to go about that. Now excuse me while I leech a Lords of Midnight .d64 file.
There's a mobile touch remake (not sure if ipad or android or both).

I just found out. Seems close enough to the original. I also just found out Mike Singleton passed away last year. I played Lords and Doomdark a lot on my C64. Don't think I've touched those games in over 15 years.

Stabbey

Learned
Portraits often serve as initiative indicators. Playing a TB game without any visible initiative feedback severely limits the strategies you're likely to pursue (for instance; Heroes 3; JA2; FF:T vs ToEE).
That doesn't mean they can't be damn good games obviously. Just that you're not quite as likely to do planning like 'don't need to move 2 to kill that one because he'll die before he can move' or 'i can do a combo by waiting for one turn so the enemy comes closer and i have all my party lined up in the initiative bar').

Er, there's already an initiative bar showing the turn order on the right side. I was talking about the portraits of the party members on left side, in the context of a party size larger than 6.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a good point, actually. Which RPGs did have good endgame?
Can't think clearly because of lack of sleep, but Fallout 1&2 come to mind.

EDIT: Also Baldur's Gate 1&2 (except that dreadful thief maze in BG1).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
ForkTong Please don't funnel the endgame into an "exciting" combat-filled (edit: combat-only) madness. For example in games like DivDiv, Div2 vanilla (expansion was good), VTMB, Gothic, Risen, etc., etc.
They will if they run out of money.
Well, not if they try to design and implement everything more in parallel.

If anything, I'd rather they cut it short than have an extended combat area. Spend whatever time or money you have left on riddles lol.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know about that.

Combat-heavy endgames might not be so bad if the combat system's fun and the encounters are well designed.

I believe (hope?) that Larian will make the endgame fights a bit more thoughtful than LOL DEMON SPAM

Kirtai

Augur
Why do people want massive party sizes like 18 or w/e
Sounds more like people are asking how many players, followers and summons can you have at once and do they take up each others party slots.

i.e. is it 6 player characters with 1 follower and 1 summon each = party size of 6 but with a max of 18 controllable characters on screen at once? Or 6 controllable characters max (2 players + followers + summons)?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds more like people are asking how many players, followers and summons can you have at once and do they take up each others party slots.

i.e. is it 6 player characters with 1 follower and 1 summon each = party size of 6 but with a max of 18 controllable characters on screen at once? Or 6 controllable characters max (2 players + followers + summons)?
It's been already confirmed elsewhere that it's possible to have a module with 6PCs. We're interested in knowing whether you will be able to have henchmen and summons on to of that. (I know that's basically what you've said, I just wanted to clarify a little).

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Summons on top of a 6PC party: yes. Henchmen/companions: I don't know (yet).

Still gotta check if it's 4PC or 6PC party that is supported by code (multiplayer-wise).

Gord

Arcane
Wait, is it supposed to be a cRPG or a turn-based tactics game with rpg elements (e.g. Jagged Alliance) now?
Because frankly, I don't see the party size as much of an issue in an rpg (depending a bit on the game, naturally: Fallout works better with one character than e.g. Baldurs Gate).

Arkeus

Arcane
Wait, is it supposed to be a cRPG or a turn-based tactics game with rpg elements (e.g. Jagged Alliance) now?
Because frankly, I don't see the party size as much of an issue in an rpg (depending a bit on the game, naturally: Fallout works better with one character than e.g. Baldurs Gate).
This is about the modding capability of the editor. So if someone wanted to, say, make a mode of a Turn-based Baldur's gate, they could. Or not, depending on the answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom