Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Released... but nobody cares

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And all we wanted was a modern-day Lucasfilm adventure.

/my interest

Borelli

Arcane
I don't understand why they went full retard with streamlining the action points from 40-60 in XCOM to 2 like in nuXCOM. Why couldn't they do it like in Final Fantasy Tactics, you have 5-10 action points which are used for movement. Simpler than XCOM but still more options than 2 move which is used here. And FFT is a console game so they cannot cry too complicated.

Borelli

Arcane
I don't understand why they went full retard with streamlining the action points from 40-60 in XCOM to 2 like in nuXCOM. Why couldn't they do it like in Final Fantasy Tactics, you have 5-10 action points which are used for movement. Simpler than XCOM but still more options than 2 move which is used here. And FFT is a console game so they cannot cry too complicated.

Uh, FFT is two-moves.
Ok i'm a retard ignore my post, i played fft a loooong time ago.

Borelli

Arcane
"research system is very megaman because you use enemies technology against them"
That's XCOM you fool.:x

Tytus

Arcane
All characters have retarded weapons. Same sex marrieges. Adoption count as blood lines. Strategy map stolem form Dungeon Keeper 2. Two point action system. Shit banal boring enemies (one strong, one that explodes etc. seen in every other game).

Looks really medicore, but still gonna check it out. Probably a Caribbean version.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I knew this was shit the moment I heard the names "Double Fine" and "Massive Chalice" and saw some dreadful looking person on the introduction video.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Fuck Grim Fandango.

4a208d88.gif

ColCol

Arcane
Just looked into the forum. Three classes and only six enemies. That seems a little low (at least for my taste).

ColCol

Arcane
Okay, so I guess there will be hybrid classes (down the road?). I can't find much about how these will work.

Edit: So I guess a hybrid class has a the secondary skill tree of another class.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Putting the trolling of DF aside, it is amazing that the project which looked to be the biggest scam (even I thought its kickstarter is a scam) is turning out to be the best game of Double Fine. The latest update shows that it is shaping up to be a fairly good turn based strategy, empire building game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Putting the trolling of DF aside, it is amazing that the project which looked to be the biggest scam (even I thought its kickstarter is a scam) is turning out to be the best game of Double Fine

Maybe I'm the Cassandra of the Codex :smug:

Haven't backed, bought or liked anything Double Fine, but I backed this, banking that the concept of generational tactics would be interesting. It looks p. cool atm.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It is interesting that this game is much more complex than BA, it probably needed more work, manpower and design stuff than BA, and it is on track with a kickstarter of 1.3 million. Maybe we got it all wrong. The Kickstarter of Massive Chalice was not made to fund Broken Age, it was the other way around, maybe Broken Age's fund went into Massive Chalice. :D

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It is interesting that this game is much more complex than BA, it probably needed more work, manpower and design stuff than BA, and it is on track with a kickstarter of 1.3 million. Maybe we got it all wrong. The Kickstarter of Massive Chalice was not made to fund Broken Age, it was the other way around, maybe Broken Age's fund went into Massive Chalice. :D

BA kickstarter money was used to hire Frodo Baggins.

Edit: And that fuckface Jack Black

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was pretty sure Tim wasn't using Massive Chalice money for BA.

You just have no conception of how much trouble he'd be in if he got caught. We're talking like 10 years in a federal prison type of trouble. It would be far better for him to just not make BA part 2 and deal with angry customers.

That said I had no faith in Double Fine to make this game as complex as it needs to be, so I'm expecting a shallow game that runs out of steam after a few hours. I guess I'll check out the video and see what they're doing.

Edit: Can someone tell me when this video gets interesting? 8 min and they're still talking about these stupid icons.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPS preview: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/29/massive-chalice-beta-review/

Massive Chalice does feel like Double Fine going far outside their giggly comfort zone, and all the better for it. This is a game with substance and a heraldic warriors concept it doesn’t treat lightly. It is lacking something in its current, early form – there’s a starkness to it, both in tone and in the limited choices you can make in battle – but at the same time I think this is the most promising horse in the DF stable right now. That studio has been all over the place lately, so I hope the MC team is allowed to knuckle down on this and keep pushing it for a while longer yet, to tease out its themes and personality, rather than have an arbitrary ‘finished!’ stamped on it as was the sad casefor Spacebase DF-9. MASSIVE CHALICE should be allowed to earn its capital letters.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom