Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You're really butthurt about me not liking dross, aren't you. Which game you like did I insult?
Quite the opposite, I am impressed by your ability to play every single popular release for hundreds of hours while simultaneously belittling everyone else who has the same taste in games as you. No games for me to be insulted on behalf of because I haven't touched any of the big releases in which you've thrown a lot of time at BG3, Starfield, Cyberpunk, and Rogue Trader.
Answer the question.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Friendly reminder that it´s being developed by Frostbite

Wat8.jpg

and it´s using the data code architecture from Anthem ;)

RsLid.jpg

This shitty is the level of "a trailer of a trailer". You get nothing from it, but then again, no one here expects anything so.
Appropiate for this game, really. There's nothing to look forward to. You could have something here, if you were taken by the absolutely out of nowhere asspull built upon the critical lore rape they did in the last DLC.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
So, just to get everything straight.... If I'm remembering right, the previous versions of 'Dragon Age: Dreadwolf' were:
  • 2015: Codename "Joplin", (revision 1) - more narrative-focused single-player game without as much focus on open world [scrapped]
  • 2018: Codename "Morrison", (revision 2) - live service incorporated game with elements from the development of Anthem [reworked]
  • 2021: Codename "Morrison", (revision 3) - the current single-player action RPG with gameplay perhaps inspired by God of War [current]
Trying to put myself in the shoes of a studio like modern BioWare, that is likely aiming to chase major industry trends, hyped big hits, cinematic games, etc, I would guess some of the big talking points for fantasy games, before and during development, have been Dark Souls (2011), Skyrim (2011), The Witcher 3 (2015), God of War (2018), Eldin Ring (2022), and Baldur's Gate III (2023). I doubt Breath of the Wild (2017) was much of an influence on a company, as BioWare don't make physics-oriented games, but those others are likely the goalpost when a company like this talks about stuff at staff meetings.

People have mentioned that 'Dragon Age: Dreadwolf' chasing Bethesda's formula "wide as an ocean, shallow as a sea". It's possible that they were trying for 'The Witcher 3' originally, as it launched around the time development started, and was clearing up every GOTY award.

So, just to get everything straight.... If I'm remembering right, the previous versions of 'Dragon Age: Dreadwolf' were:
  • 2015: Codename "Joplin", (revision 1) - more narrative-focused single-player game without as much focus on open world [scrapped]
  • 2018: Codename "Morrison", (revision 2) - live service incorporated game with elements from the development of Anthem [reworked]
  • 2021: Codename "Morrison", (revision 3) - the current single-player action RPG with gameplay perhaps inspired by God of War [current]
Trying to put myself in the shoes of a studio like modern BioWare, that is likely aiming to chase major industry trends, hyped big hits, cinematic games, etc, I would guess some of the big talking points for fantasy games, before and during development, have been Dark Souls (2011), Skyrim (2011), The Witcher 3 (2015), God of War (2018), Eldin Ring (2022), and Baldur's Gate III (2023). I doubt Breath of the Wild (2017) was much of an influence on a company, as bioWare don't make physical games, but those others are likely the goalpost when a company like this talks about stuff at staff meetings.

People have mentioned that 'Dragon Age: Dreadwolf' chasing Bethesda's formula "wide as an ocean, shallow as a sea". It's possible that they were trying for 'The Witcher 3' originally, as it launched around the time development started, and was clearing up every GOTY award.
The formula was already done in Inquisition, a game that even biodrones consider to be rather mediocre. Bioware's best bet is to turn it into an ARPG or just an action game with no bigger pretenses. It worked for Mass Effect, but the issue is that DA is their flagship "cerebral" crpg.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Trying to put myself in the shoes of a studio like modern BioWare, that is likely aiming to chase major industry trends, hyped big hits, cinematic games, etc, I would guess some of the big talking points for fantasy games, before and during development, have been Dark Souls (2011), Skyrim (2011), The Witcher 3 (2015), God of War (2018), Eldin Ring (2022), and Baldur's Gate III (2023). I doubt Breath of the Wild (2017) was much of an influence on a company, as BioWare don't make physics-oriented games, but those others are likely the goalpost when a company like this talks about stuff at staff meetings.

It's ironic that they could have stuck with the 2015 version, perfected and polished it, and it would be right on time for now.

I mean, I get it, developers do have to keep an eye on current trends - but what happened to having and pursuing a vision for a game?

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”

Translation - DA: Dreadwolf, also known as Queer Self-Insert: The Game.

And when playing a role in those role-playing games, she remains unabashedly herself. “I guess I play my characters like I behave in real life: rarely mean, sometimes snarky… and always thirsty.”

can't wait for this gaem guise

Shaki

Arbiter
And the idea of being who you want to be carries a particularly special meaning for Corinne. “As a queer trans woman,” she says, “I have a perspective on the games that not everyone has. Dragon Age has long been a place where LGBTQIA+ folks can see people like themselves, represented respectfully. It’s inherently very queer, and it’s such a rare thing for marginalized communities to have representation where we feel proud and powerful in how we are depicted. It’s so deeply meaningful for so many. I often get emotional when I think about what it would have meant for a younger version of myself to see someone like her in a game, and as a hero, no less. I hope we can be a safe place for our queer players to know they are not alone, that they are brilliant and worthy, that they are not only welcome but celebrated.”

And when playing a role in those role-playing games, she remains unabashedly herself. “I guess I play my characters like I behave in real life: rarely mean, sometimes snarky… and always thirsty.”

It's funny how if a man in the industry would be like "hehe I'm always thirsty, wink wink", he would be canceled for being a creep because poor wamyn would be afraid to work with him, but as long as the same man wears a wig and a skirt, it's no longer creepy but brave and beautiful.

9ted6

Educated
Part of it's because Dragon Age never really ever had an identity.

Original Dragon Age Origins was some Chinese wuxia fantasy shit that was retreading Jade Empire to the point I think they said it was originally a JE spinoff. Then it turned into medieval fantasy that was intended as an homage to BG but they wanted it to be more like Warhammer, then Warcraft got popular and that became a direct inspiration for its aesthetics but less cartoony.

So right off the bat you've got a game with no solid idea of what it wants to be but it was just bare minimum consistent enough to make a game that was at least tolerable for the most part but by no means great and not really that good.

Then Dragon Age 2 comes along and directly rips from JRPGs and anime and leans back to Jade Empire. Much cartoonier and exaggerated aesthetic and tone and way more Whedonesque dialogue. Unfocused design. No C&C whatsoever. Mindless by design Awesome Button combat. Crashes and burns.

Then Inquisition which also went through multistage development hell is trying to be a dozen different games at once and bounces all over the place like it's got severe DID on top of cashing in on the early 2010s trend of aggressive prewoke pandering and doubling down on the Whedonisms. More random cock ball dick shit swearing and well THAT just happened moments. Gameplay so boring it'll put you into a coma. Obviously went through multiple iterations and content purges like the removal of the sailing and naval combat they said would be a feature because of AssCreed. Maintains raving fans because of the pandering but crashed and burned with other audiences.

At no point have the developers ever appeared to be have a single consistent vision for Dragon Age and in every sense Genderwolf's shaping up to be the worst of them all by a wide margin. The only constant is that they keep fucking it up.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

As irritating as he is, one has to think: what's the system that puts a cretin like him in charge of a big videogame franchise? Who runs that system?

9ted6

Educated
It's so important for everyone to feel they're respected and represented. You can't possibly play a game as anything but yourself and feel engaged.

Except straight white guys of course. They need to shut up and play the multiracial multigender queer gay thirsty dildo elf we present them and enjoy it.

scytheavatar

Scholar

It is already known that God of War 2018 is the reference point of what they are aiming for............ I expect Dreadwolf to be the opposite of the Bethesda/CDPR formula. As mentioned it will be closer to being a medieval Mass Effect.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Original Dragon Age Origins was some Chinese wuxia fantasy shit that was retreading Jade Empire to the point I think they said it was originally a JE spinoff. Then it turned into medieval fantasy that was intended as an homage to BG but they wanted it to be more like Warhammer, then Warcraft got popular and that became a direct inspiration for its aesthetics but less cartoony.

So right off the bat you've got a game with no solid idea of what it wants to be but it was just bare minimum consistent enough to make a game that was at least tolerable for the most part but by no means great and not really that good.

Then Dragon Age 2 comes along and directly rips from JRPGs and anime and leans back to Jade Empire. Much cartoonier and exaggerated aesthetic and tone and way more Whedonesque dialogue. Unfocused design. No C&C whatsoever. Mindless by design Awesome Button combat. Crashes and burns.

Then Inquisition which also went through multistage development hell is trying to be a dozen different games at once and bounces all over the place like it's got severe DID on top of cashing in on the early 2010s trend of aggressive prewoke pandering and doubling down on the Whedonisms. More random cock ball dick shit swearing and well THAT just happened moments. Gameplay so boring it'll put you into a coma. Obviously went through multiple iterations and content purges like the removal of the sailing and naval combat they said would be a feature because of AssCreed. Maintains raving fans because of the pandering but crashed and burned with other audiences.

At no point have the developers ever appeared to be have a single consistent vision for Dragon Age and in every sense Genderwolf's shaping up to be the worst of them all by a wide margin. The only constant is that they keep fucking it up.

In another words Dragon Age is just the Western version of Final Fantasy...... probably not an accident considering how influential Final Fantasy games to the early Bioware games.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I dunno, DA:O did come across as having a unified identity - Ferelden being a pretty dark and gritty scenario, and the lore was rather well done by David Gaider (wasn't it?). Maybe they were following trends, but the end product was alright. The other two are as you say though.

darkpatriot

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So maybe I am being optimistic here, but now that they have a trans game director maybe they will be able to make attractive romance options without being called sexist. It could happen, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom