Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

havox

Novice
"If you used magic, spirit ashes, rolling, ashes of war, rotting and running away, BHS, colossal weapon jump attacks, you didn't beat the game" argument. To me that seems like a weird argument, to me every feature developers purposely put in the game is fair use, it's on developers not me to balance the game.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
"If you used magic, spirit ashes, rolling, ashes of war, rotting and running away, BHS, colossal weapon jump attacks, you didn't beat the game" argument.
But that's not what I said? I don't care if you beat the game, or how you beat it. I don't hunt achievements and I am not a completionist, I will drop games I no longer enjoy.
The point is, if you don't have fun using X weapon or ability, because that's too easy, then don't use it. Don't do that thing that's preventing you from having fun. Do the other thing, that's fun, instead.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Andromeda and Antherm were Fallout 76 level garbage.
While not stellar, Andromeda was leagues ahead of Anthem. Everything, from the combat to the maps and alien design, was 'okay' in Andromeda. Meanwhile, there is NOTHING redeemable about Anthem.

Anthem's map design was a horrible hollowed out and boring mess, because it was built to be flown over, not traversed. This was compounded by the gameplay consisting out of less than a dozen scenario's that kept being repeated! Even the god damn story missions reused these scenarios, with any combat encounter that would not fall in those 4-5 scenario's to be relegated to a damned cutscene. The world/game felt entirely empty and vapid because of it. Odd that the creators of "Forspoken" thought that they should copy this world design though.

Then there's Anthem's almost non existing story, ridiculous excuse for a hub and lack of differentiating loot.... in what was supposed to be a looter-shooter. Hope you like how your starting gear looks, because outside of extra neon lights, recolors or added flames, you'll be looking exactly the same.
The aliens design may have been ok (nothing bad or good), but I didn't like that they were so damn boring.
You can replace them with Collectors from ME2 and you won't even notice the difference.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
I look forward to when Codex starts praising DA:I because Dreadwolf is even worse.
Criticising Bioware is like beating a dead horse now. But their remaining pozzed fans deserve everything they get. No one praises DA2 anyway.

Wasn’t there a leak? It looked like Final Fantasy XV style combat plus Hogwarts Legacy UI? Or something like that?

LizardWizard

Prophet
DA:I is better than DA2:Return to shit mountain.
Not in a million years.

Dragon Age 2 is a masterpiece in comparison to the heaping pile of shit that is Dragon Age: Inquisition. That is really saying a lot when you consider that Dragon Age 2 has trash encounter design, recycled areas, a tiny map and lame combat.

Both are heaping piles of shit

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not in a million years.

Dragon Age 2 is a masterpiece in comparison to the heaping pile of shit that is Dragon Age: Inquisition. That is really saying a lot when you consider that Dragon Age 2 has trash encounter design, recycled areas, a tiny map and lame combat.

Both are heaping piles of shit
Both of these statements are true.

Lodis

Educated
Dragon Age Origins is so completely removed from the franchise in terms of tone and atmosphere at this point I just consider it a standalone game at this point. I remember finishing Origins and being excited for what the sequels would bring, if only I knew that within a decade the franchise would unironically turn into Faggot Age.

9ted6

Educated
Dragon Age Origins is so completely removed from the franchise in terms of tone and atmosphere at this point I just consider it a standalone game at this point. I remember finishing Origins and being excited for what the sequels would bring, if only I knew that within a decade the franchise would unironically turn into Faggot Age.
I replayed it recently and IMO it doesn't hold up. It's not as shit as the next two but you can see the signs of where it'd all go wrong, not least being the game's proto SJW tone. All the often-literally-gay shit in Inquisition and the fucking stupid writing and lore from Inquisition and Trespasser were, according to Gaider, always planned too, though whether that's true or he's just talking out his ass to save EA's face is up for debate. Either way the lore's such a garbled incoherent mess wholly removed from each game, per game, that I guess you can still treat Origins as a standalone.

9ted6

Educated
My only takeaway from the leak is that the Dragon Age art style (which was plenty bad when DA:O came out) has aged awfully in 2023.

Yes yes, missing textures and what not. But damn, I've seen better looking mobile games at this point.
What do you mean, the "Dragon Age art style"? Origins and Inquisition look nothing alike. This series has no artistic identity (or any identity) beyond the individual games.

I disagree. One of the few things that the franchise seems to have maintained is its disgusting art direction, which governs everything from the design of weapons and armor, faces, architecture, etc.

The actual 2d art in the games is respectable, but the gameplay graphics themselves are atrocious. They are meant to be seen from far away, so everything is designed to be big and recognizable.

Sword blades look like clubs, armor has grotesquely outsized pieces. Stuff looks like its sourced from a MMO.

Also, the devs apparently can't design an attractive face if their careers depended on it.

I'm not an art guy, but I'm sure someone with the proper background could break it down more.

TL;DR: Basically whatever this style is. Also a beardless dwarf as a legacy character. Goddammit.

Rogue-gallery-1.jpg
This belongs on one of those scam mobile game ads.
"Play now, my lord."

Vatnik Wumao
All the often-literally-gay shit in Inquisition and the fucking stupid writing and lore from Inquisition and Trespasser were, according to Gaider, always planned too, though whether that's true or he's just talking out his ass to save EA's face is up for debate.
The latter probably since DAO didn't hint at that sort of elf-centered narrative being at the center of everything from human myth (a.i. the Black City) to the origins of the Dwarves (a.i. titans and their history). Current lore is all just so very lame and forced, while DAO at least had the typical derivative fantasy setting which is serviceable and can be cozy with the sort of familiarity that it provides.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
All the often-literally-gay shit in Inquisition and the fucking stupid writing and lore from Inquisition and Trespasser were, according to Gaider, always planned too, though whether that's true or he's just talking out his ass to save EA's face is up for debate.
The latter probably since DAO didn't hint at that sort of elf-centered narrative being at the center of everything from human myth (a.i. the Black City) to the origins of the Dwarves (a.i. titans and their history). Current lore is all just so very lame and forced, while DAO at least had the typical derivative fantasy setting which is serviceable and can be cozy with the sort of familiarity that it provides.
Also have the chantry, which turned from "both sides have good and bad" to basically "Chantry is pure evil". Pride demons were treated as potential continent ending threats, meanwhile they're just walking around as random mooks in DA:I. They didn't leave the mystery of the "tranquil" alone, because they had to make it into "the tranquil knows everything but is essentially a golem that does what it's told and its a living hell trapped in a body you can't control" in DA2. DA:I had to make it even more absurd by adding "new facts" about how/when/why its used, I guess to meet the "AWESOME" quota or some shit.

9ted6

Educated
Also have the chantry, which turned from "both sides have good and bad" to basically "Chantry is pure evil". Pride demons were treated as potential continent ending threats, meanwhile they're just walking around as random mooks in DA:I. They didn't leave the mystery of the "tranquil" alone, because they had to make it into "the tranquil knows everything but is essentially a golem that does what it's told and its a living hell trapped in a body you can't control" in DA2. DA:I had to make it even more absurd by adding "new facts" about how/when/why its used, I guess to meet the "AWESOME" quota or some shit.
They also made it to where becoming tranquil isn't a very heavy decision that's taken voluntarily to repel demons, but a forced torture to turn people into cheap labor who can still get possessed by demons if they feel like doing it anyway. The Chantry goes from an organization of good, bad, and neutral to having everyone in it either be cartoon villains or, if they're not evil, atheists who hate the rest of it (Leliana in Inquisition) or helpless retards (everyone else). Besides the putrid SJW themes, Inquisition's setting is everyone is evil or dumb but the Qunari and the Dalish, and everything that's ever existed was made by a conclave of shit-for-brained Elf wizards who were also evil or dumb.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
Pride demons were treated as potential continent ending threats, meanwhile they're just walking around as random mooks in DA:I
It's kinda inevitable because of their dumb decision to have several holes in the sky that dropped high level demons everywhere. DA2 all for it issues had the right idea of not trying to beat DAO's world ending event. Instead of World Ending event was Prevent a Civil War ... Imagine if Inquisition was about the Paladin x Mages War, that's enough plot for entire game , you could even have more Demons involved if they wanted.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Attractive women are problematic because by simply existing, they make less attractive women feel othered. Purposefully creating attractive female characters is being complicit in something-something-something, which, as we all know, is just a step or two shy of murder.
Women might hate men, but there's one more thing they hate even more than men: Other women.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom